Bob McKenzie Final ranking

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton

Demidov the clear consensus number 2 oa with 6/10 scouts polling him as 2nd oa and the other 4 scouts having him in their top 5

I think the Michkov situation has increased Demidov's rankings...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I know Catton is the “faller du juor” of this draft right now and a lot of people I respect really like him…but amidst all the salivating of “oh gosh please Catton fall to my team!!!”, I can’t help but wonder…maybe…he’s falling for a reason on a big consensus list like this?

Personally, in a vacuum, I’d rather take a guy who is still rising all the way up to the draft who may not have the residual name value of a guy who has been hyped earlier and longer but seems to edging lower and lower for whatever reason.

I’m not saying that specifically applies here or that there Catton won’t be a steal…or even that he won’t go much higher than Mac’s poll has him…entirely possible. But we are definitely close enough to the draft where the “oh man I hope prospect X keeps falling to us because that will be a guaranteed steal because I’ve heard of him and saw him real high on a list from months ago” mentality seems to be really take hold - and will continue through draft day.
I guess it depends on if you can pinpoint why they're falling. If it's just 5'10" vs. 5'11" then that seems pretty soft to me.

Reactions: TLEH

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Have any of the online scouting services like Mckeens, Eliteprospects ect. Ever had a ranking that ended up being closer to the draft order than Bob’s final rankings?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The literal verbiage from the article stated "the clear consensus No. 2 choice behind Celebrini". You are thinking unanimous. Majority of scouts believe Demdiov is the 2nd best and those who don't, think he is still close to the second best
Ya I just saw that they were using that verbiage. Doesn’t really matter but I wasn’t thinking unanimous and usually consensus is more than 6/10 IMO.

Reactions: majormajor

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Since these are consensus rankings, it can be really hard for players to rise a ton from midseason to now. Here are some of the biggest risers within the top 64 on the list (highlighted are significant jumps);

Marek Vanacker from 47 to 28
Jett Luchanko from 26 to 19
Beckett Sennecke from 19 to 11
Zeev Buium from 13 to 7
Dominik Badinka from 42 to 29
Michael Hage from 36 to 24
EJ Emery from 39 to 27
Sam O'Reilly from 46 to 32
Stian Solberg from 45 to 20
Linus Eriksson from 65 to 44
Teddy Stiga from 68 to 43
Adam Kleber from HM (outside top 80) to 51
Jacob Battaglia from unranked (outside top 100) to 57
Collin Ralph from unranked to 63
Harrison Brunick from unranked to 61

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Since these are consensus rankings, it can be really hard for players to rise a ton from midseason to now. Here are some of the biggest risers within the top 64 on the list (highlighted are significant jumps);

Marek Vanacker from 47 to 28
Jett Luchanko from 26 to 19
Beckett Sennecke from 19 to 11
Dominik Badinka from 42 to 29
Michael Hage from 36 to 24
EJ Emery from 39 to 27
Sam O'Reilly from 46 to 32
Linus Eriksson from 65 to 44
Teddy Stiga from 68 to 43
Adam Kleber from HM (outside top 80) to 51
Jacob Battaglia from unranked (outside top 100) to 57
Collin Ralph from unranked to 63
Harrison Brunick from unranked to 61
who fell

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
By the way, players that are risers throughout the year have a strong success rate of being better than where they were selected. Biggest fallers;

Cole Eiserman from 4 to 14
Emil Hemming from 15 to 26
Ryder Ritchie from 21 to 31
Tanner Howe from 25 to 45
Aaron Kiviharju from 23 to 52
Aatos Koivu from 60 to 83
Sebastian Soini from 56 to HM (outside the top 90)
Tomas Galvas from 53 to 82
Tomas Lavvoie from 52 to 77

As a fan, I'm hoping my team avoids the fallers because in years past they usually have dissappointed from where they get drafted
Finland was a let-down this year huh?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Crazy that Justin Poirier isn’t even ranked. Guy scored 68 goals and is almost eligible for next years draft.

SIZEEEEE
And skating, one-dimensional game, padded his goal total with empty netters and the power play to an extreme degree, plays an extremely junior style game.

He’s a lot like Cole Eiserman in terms of style, except he’s worse in literally every single way. I’m not surprised he was left off the list. The red flags are much more than just size. In fact, I’d say size is the least of them.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
By the way, players that are risers throughout the year have a strong success rate of being better than where they were selected. Biggest fallers;

As a fan, I'm hoping my team avoids the fallers because in years past they usually have dissappointed from where they get drafted
Finland was a let-down this year huh?
To your point - I can totally see a team picking a guy like Brunicke over Kiviharju and then watching the absolute meltdown that team’s fans have on this forum about “why didn’t we pick Kiviharju!??!! Who is this South African dude who doesn’t score point! Kiviharju was like a top five pick at one point we are so stupid!”.

Which of course will be followed six months later by “man, Brunicke is a stud, so glad we passed on that Finnish guy everybody wanted to fall to us!”

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Can somoene explain what's wrong with this kid that most people don't even have him ranked?

Scored 111 points this year, almost 60 goals. 6 Foot, 180 lbs.

edit - Just saw he's an overage player, turns 19 in a couple weeks. Would still be an amazing pick of he's there in the 4th but i highly doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Can somoene explain what's wrong with this kid that most people don't even have him ranked?

Scored 111 points this year, almost 60 goals. 6 Foot, 180 lbs.

Hes an overager. Hes on Bob's list at 90.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Always fun poking holes in this. An annual tradition. Still the best mock draft around.

For one, the CHL crop is overrated outside the big names. Much mid-ness with depth upside at best. The defense prospects are very good, but the forwards not as much. Their stats are gaudy as usual but it’s easy to light up the CHL. Probably part of the reason top Canadian kids are going the BCHL/USHL/NCAA route — Boisvert, Hage, Pridham, Letourneau, etc etc. (Pridham is very good, BTW. I hope the Rangers draft him).

Speaking of which, I know Bob’s pressed for time and could only write/scout so much, but the USHL and BCHL crops are worth mentioning. I’d lean towards them in R2-R4 over CHL kids who will just get released two years from now anyway. Lahey, Ashton, McGinnis, Sawyer, and Milburn are getting drafted, but I say higher than 5-7. Heise is good too but he probably goes later. Swanson and Osburn are two of my favorites.

That one scout’s comments on Russia were a joke. Asking ownership permission because of a KHL contract? Maybe Bob should have struck that quote from record considering Michkov just signed his ELC a year after the Canadian media crushed him for having a KHL deal. As for that scout, tell me you were born in the 1950’s without telling me you were born in the 1950’s. I bet that scout has Paul Henderson’s used socks encased on his mantle with a portrait of Harold Ballard above it. Get with the times.

No Siryatsky? No Mikhaylov? Avramov is Battaglia on steroids but with physicality. No talk of the outstanding Russian goalie crop with Zarubin, Moysevich, Nabokov, etc? This Russian crop is strong — two top-5 picks and Surin, Artamonov, and Shuravin all R1 quality. Guys outside the top 100 like Frolov, Pautov, Krutov would destroy the CHL.

And I disagree that Sweden’s group is weak. Eriksson, Pettersson, LSW, Freij, and Fernstrom are all mid-to-late R1 candidates. Eriksson was better in the Allsvenskan playoffs than Nygard. Zether, Traff, Sjodin, Berglund, Eliasson, Haara, Zetterberg, and Viggo Gustaffson are all solid R2 options. You also have strong goalie pool in Gidlof, Nyman, Stierngranat, Lunberg, and Carlsson. Plenty of sleepers in W. Samuelsson, Bodin, and Hesselvall, But I guess if you don’t actively scout Sweden except for the WJC, coming to that conclusion makes total sense.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Always fun poking holes in this. An annual tradition. Still the best mock draft around.

For one, the CHL crop is overrated outside the big names. Much mid-ness with depth upside at best. The defense prospects are very good, but the forwards not as much. Their stats are gaudy as usual but it’s easy to light up the CHL. Probably part of the reason top Canadian kids are going the BCHL/USHL/NCAA route — Boisvert, Hage, Pridham, Letourneau, etc etc. (Pridham is very good, BTW. I hope the Rangers draft him).

Speaking of which, I know Bob’s pressed for time and could only write/scout so much, but the USHL and BCHL crops are worth mentioning. I’d lean towards them in R2-R4 over CHL kids who will just get released two years from now anyway. Lahey, Ashton, McGinnis, Sawyer, and Milburn are getting drafted, but I say higher than 5-7. Heise is good too but he probably goes later. Swanson and Osburn are two of my favorites.

That one scout’s comments on Russia were a joke. Asking ownership permission because of a KHL contract? Maybe Bob should have struck that quote from record considering Michkov just signed his ELC a year after the Canadian media crushed him for having a KHL deal. As for that scout, tell me you were born in the 1950’s without telling me you were born in the 1950’s. I bet that scout has Paul Henderson’s used socks encased on his mantle with a portrait of Harold Ballard above it. Get with the times.

No Siryatsky? No Mikhaylov? Avramov is Battaglia on steroids but with physicality. No talk of the outstanding Russian goalie crop with Zarubin, Moysevich, Nabokov, etc? This Russian crop is strong — two top-5 picks and Surin, Artamonov, and Shuravin all R1 quality. Guys outside the top 100 like Frolov, Pautov, Krutov would destroy the CHL.

And I disagree that Sweden’s group is weak. Eriksson, Pettersson, LSW, Freij, and Fernstrom are all mid-to-late R1 candidates. Eriksson was better in the Allsvenskan playoffs than Nygard. Zether, Traff, Sjodin, Berglund, Eliasson, Haara, Zetterberg, and Viggo Gustaffson are all solid R2 options. You also have strong goalie pool in Gidlof, Nyman, Stierngranat, Lunberg, and Carlsson. Plenty of sleepers in W. Samuelsson, Bodin, and Hesselvall, But I guess if you don’t actively scout Sweden except for the WJC, coming to that conclusion makes total sense.
I agree with your post except I don't see why Simon Zether shouldn't be a first rounder. I know he didn't score much in the SHL but he absolutely destroyed Europe's top junior league and he was downright fantastic in the SHL playoffs. He was a huge part of that Rögle playoff run and actually got significantly more icetime in the playoffs than in the regular season. Played wing in the SHL but does project to be Center in the NHL. Not really elite but a very good skillset and his skating is much better than widely reported. Because of his very mature game pretty likely to be a middle six C in the NHL. Since he's a big, physical righty he's easily worth a 1st round pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: TopC0rner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad