Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Blues Training Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So what is your biggest question going into camp?

My question is how the defense is going to ultimately shake out? I think Leddy, Parayko, Faulk and Broberg are probably everyday locks with Suter, POJ, Kessel and Perunovich rotating in on the 3rd pair?

I think Suter will be the closest thing to a fixture but maybe the Blues give him one game off a week or so to help keep him fresh. A lot of Dallas fans said he was gassed by the end of last year.

Personally I am a fan of the traditional 3 LHD on the left and 3 RHD and was impressed by Kessel's play last year but maybe we see Perunovich slot in there with Suter who can help cover for his defensive mistakes. That gives us Perunovich to use as a PP option.

POJ really does seem like the odd man out here though. He is really going to have to compete hard for ice time this year.
Can Bolduc push for a significant 2nd line role? Where he's not sheltered and gets PP time, so around 15ish minutes.

Who is the PP QB? Is it one of the defensemen or do we run a unit where Thomas has more of the QB type duties?

For me those are the big ones for me.

Reactions: BlueMed and stl76

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Defense certainly will be interesting. I see Tucker getting put on waivers and possibly Perunovich as well, Tucker should clear but wouldn't be surprised if a team took a stab at Perunovich. I don't think either would be greatly missed either way.

The bottom 6 forwards should be interesting as well especially if Sunny is healthy on time. Guys like Kapanen, Walker, Sylvegard, etc should make it interesting in the last couple spots on the roster, especially if we plan on carrying 8 dmen again this season. I am assuming Dvorsky starts in the AHL, he would really have to blow the team away to make it at this point.
I think we need to keep Perunovich, for the somewhat foreseeable future. I agree that he would not be greatly missed, but he would be missed, especially if another starter-type flames out.

As far as Dvorsky, I go back and forth. There was all of the talk from DA that "it's up to him" etc etc "he will get the opportunity"...... But that is the same for each player in Camp. Then there was that bit about maybe upsetting Jake's confidence a little bit by playing him so early and looking good, but clearly struggling. Like @Blanick posted, POJ is gonna hafta bring it!!

I hope there are no mixed messages floating DVo's way, but it might be best to start him in the AHL straight away.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think we need to keep Perunovich, for the somewhat foreseeable future. I agree that he would not be greatly missed, but he would be missed, especially if another starter-type flames out.

As far as Dvorsky, I go back and forth. There was all of the talk from DA that "it's up to him" etc etc "he will get the opportunity"...... But that is the same for each player in Camp. Then there was that bit about maybe upsetting Jake's confidence a little bit by playing him so early and looking good, but clearly struggling. Like @Blanick posted, POJ is gonna hafta bring it!!

I hope there are no mixed messages floating DVo's way, but it might be best to start him in the AHL straight away.
Until Perunovich is putting a more promising player at risk of waivers, he probably will float on this team as a 6/7 guy. For his sake, he'd better hope he turns into a successful Krug-sub as PP QB, to try and justify his place in the line-up.

If he isn't getting regular minutes, its possible he'll request a trade. I'm just not sure there is truly a team out there that could take him on that has minutes to give him unless he takes a step forward. This season may be his last chance to establish himself as a full-time NHL player going forward.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
It is Blues media day and I was listening to Bannister interview while I was driving earlier. He specifically mentioned Perunovich as a potential PPQB this upcoming season, referencing that he "dominated" when he coached Peru in the AHL. He also mentioned coaching against POJ in the AHL and said he has PPQB abilities in his bag. Zero mention of Tucker at all so I agree that he is probably waived and kept as AHL depth. I do think we run with 8 defense this year though.

I do think out of the forwards we could see some youth. During the same interview Bannister said something akin to everyone, not just prospects are going to have to earn their spot and then continue to play at a high level to keep that spot because there is going to be a line of guys waiting for a chance one way or another.

Reactions: BlueMed

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Until Perunovich is putting a more promising player at risk of waivers, he probably will float on this team as a 6/7 guy. For his sake, he'd better hope he turns into a successful Krug-sub as PP QB, to try and justify his place in the line-up.

If he isn't getting regular minutes, its possible he'll request a trade. I'm just not sure there is truly a team out there that could take him on that has minutes to give him unless he takes a step forward. This season may be his last chance to establish himself as a full-time NHL player going forward.
He's the potential Krug-sub, along with POJ.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
I still can't really countenance Perunovich's lack of results so far in the NHL versus how he looks on the ice as a PPQB. He does so many little things well that makes him seem more than just average or even above average in that spot. I'm guessing with more time and on the #1 unit, now that we don't have other guys to play there, we will like the results we get from him, at least on that side of the ice. But it is slightly worrying it hasn't really happened yet, even given the circumstances with roster construction and injuries surrounding him.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019

I think most people expect to see the new Swedish signings, forward Marcus Sylvegard and defenseman Samuel Johannesson, in the AHL. However, I wonder how hard they will push to make a spot on the team this year. Sylvegard was undrafted but is 25 years old and just came off of two seasons in the SHL with significant point production (41 points in 51-52 games) placing him 11th and 14th overall leaguewide. Johannesson is the really interesting one though. He was a 6th round draft pick by Columbus in 2020, and his contract was relinquished in the summer of 2022.

Digging a little further here: his production leading up to the summer of 2022 was 0.145 points per game (as a defensemen). After his contract was relinquished, his production skyrocketed to 0.615 and 0.627 points per game in each of the following two seasons in the SHL (on two separate teams). He is a right-handed defensemen and will be competing with Matt Kessel for the third pairing spot. I wouldn't bet on either of the Swedes making the team, but I don't think they're going down quietly either.

Last edited:
Reactions: stl76

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I think most people expect to see the new Swedish signings, forward Marcus Sylvegard and defenseman Samuel Johannesson, in the AHL this year. However, I wonder how hard they will push to make a spot on the team this year. Sylvegard was undrafted but is 25 years old and just came off of two seasons in the SHL with significant point production (41 points in 51-52 games). Johannesson is the really interesting one though. He was a 6th round draft pick by Columbus in 2020, and his contract was relinquished in the summer of 2022.

Digging a little further here: his production leading up to the summer of 2022 was 0.145 points per game (as a defensemen). After his contract was relinquished, his production skyrocketed to 0.615 and 0.627 points per game in each of the following two seasons in the SHL (on two separate teams). He is a right-handed defensemen and will be competing with Matt Kessel for the third pairing spot. I wouldn't bet on either of the Swedes making the team, but I don't think they're going down quietly either.

I am not as high on Johannesson but could absolutely see Sylvegard stealing a spot. I watched some video on him back when we signed him and immediately thought, "4th line upgrade on Kapanen." Then we went and re-signed Kapanen. I am hoping he can force his way onto the roster, perhaps pushing Kapanen or Walker to waivers.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
My main question heading into camp was who the #1 center was going to be. I assumed we would just go with Thomas but now that I’ve seen the camp roster, I’m feeling better about our center depth and this is how I see the lines on opening night shaking out:

Buchnevich - Alexandrov - Kyrou
Neighbours - Thomas - Bolduc
Saad - Schenn - Texier
Holloway - Faksa - Joseph

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

My question is how the defense is going to ultimately shake out? I think Leddy, Parayko, Faulk and Broberg are probably everyday locks with Suter, POJ, Kessel and Perunovich rotating in on the 3rd pair?

I think Suter will be the closest thing to a fixture but maybe the Blues give him one game off a week or so to help keep him fresh. A lot of Dallas fans said he was gassed by the end of last year.

Personally I am a fan of the traditional 3 LHD on the left and 3 RHD and was impressed by Kessel's play last year but maybe we see Perunovich slot in there with Suter who can help cover for his defensive mistakes. That gives us Perunovich to use as a PP option.

POJ really does seem like the odd man out here though. He is really going to have to compete hard for ice time this year.

My biggest question is where are the prospects/young players in their development. Who took another step? Will Bolduc earn role? Will Dvorsky give us reasons to think he should make the team? Neighbours supposedly got buff, but will that translate into better on ice play (or at least maintaining last year's play)? Will someone surprise us? Are Broberg and Holloway worth the effort? Can Kessel solidify a role in the top 6?

That is the only thing that matters that we don't know in my opinion. Will Faulk/Schenn/Saad bounce back? Its a question, but it doesn't matter much long term. All my burning questions are important 3-4 years down the road. Will we play Suter, Perunovich or PoJ? I could barely care less. I hope none of those guys will matter after this year unless POJ comes in and blows the doors off things.

Reactions: Frenzy31

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It is Blues media day and I was listening to Bannister interview while I was driving earlier. He specifically mentioned Perunovich as a potential PPQB this upcoming season, referencing that he "dominated" when he coached Peru in the AHL. He also mentioned coaching against POJ in the AHL and said he has PPQB abilities in his bag. Zero mention of Tucker at all so I agree that he is probably waived and kept as AHL depth. I do think we run with 8 defense this year though.

I do think out of the forwards we could see some youth. During the same interview Bannister said something akin to everyone, not just prospects are going to have to earn their spot and then continue to play at a high level to keep that spot because there is going to be a line of guys waiting for a chance one way or another.
I just listened to that interview and the question he was asked was specifically about replacing Krug as the PP QB. So of course he isn’t going to mention Tucker there, and it’s not like he just brought up Perunovich out of the blue to rave about him.

I’m just saying, context is important and his answer to that question has no bearing on what our lineup will be after camp.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I just listened to that interview and the question he was asked was specifically about replacing Krug as the PP QB. So of course he isn’t going to mention Tucker there, and it’s not like he just brought up Perunovich out of the blue to rave about him.

I’m just saying, context is important and his answer to that question has no bearing on what our lineup will be after camp.

Ah that makes more sense then. I was running errands during the interview so I only caught bits and pieces of what was said.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
My main question heading into camp was who the #1 center was going to be. I assumed we would just go with Thomas but now that I’ve seen the camp roster, I’m feeling better about our center depth and this is how I see the lines on opening night shaking out:

Buchnevich - Alexandrov - Kyrou
Neighbours - Thomas - Bolduc
Saad - Schenn - Texier
Holloway - Faksa - Joseph

Is there some type of dark sarcasm I'm not getting?

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I can't remember the last time we had so many jobs/roles that were truly up for grabs. I think we have a 'normal' number of guys with chances to win NHL jobs, but there are roles up for grabs up and down the lineup.

Thomas is the 1C. Kyrou will be our 1RW, although I don't think it is a lock that he and Thomas will be on the same line. Buch will round out the top 3 forwards, but he could genuinely play LW, C, or RW this year. Maybe we load up the top line, but I expect these 3 to be split between the top 2 lines.

I think all of Neighbours, Bolduc, Holloway, Joseph, and Texier could plausibly earn a job on the Thomas line.

Center spots are up for grabs. Thomas and Faksa are the only guys who are locks to center their lines this year. Faksa will likely be the 4C, but probably has a shot to compete for 3C. I think that all of Buch, Schenn, Texier, Holloway, and Dvorsky could make a claim for center duties.

Thomas, Kyrou, Buch, Neighbours, Schenn, Saad, Texier, Joseph, Faksa, Torpo, Sunny, and Kap were all genuine NHL regulars last year. We didn't offer sheet Holloway on a 2 year deal to leave him out of the lineup. That's 13 guys before you start talking about guys like Bolduc, Dean, Dvorsky, and Walker. Beyond NHL guys competing for increased roles/minutes/opportunities, there is also a fight at the bottom to simply make the roster and opening night lineup.

There is a huge number of battles to watch up front and it is no less uncertain on D.

Leddy, Broberg, Suter, PO Joseph, and Perunovich gives you 5 leftys fighting for 3 spots (and potentially with Kessel to play off side on the 3rd pair). Broberg is going to get every chance to succeed, so that's multiple guys fighting for 1 spot (or maybe 2 if you throw Kessel into the fight). The top unit PPQB is a major unknown.

And to top it all off, we have a head coach who will be running his first NHL training camp.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I can't remember the last time we had so many jobs/roles that were truly up for grabs. I think we have a 'normal' number of guys with chances to win NHL jobs, but there are roles up for grabs up and down the lineup.

Thomas is the 1C. Kyrou will be our 1RW, although I don't think it is a lock that he and Thomas will be on the same line. Buch will round out the top 3 forwards, but he could genuinely play LW, C, or RW this year. Maybe we load up the top line, but I expect these 3 to be split between the top 2 lines.

I think all of Neighbours, Bolduc, Holloway, Joseph, and Texier could plausibly earn a job on the Thomas line.

Center spots are up for grabs. Thomas and Faksa are the only guys who are locks to center their lines this year. Faksa will likely be the 4C, but probably has a shot to compete for 3C. I think that all of Buch, Schenn, Texier, Holloway, and Dvorsky could make a claim for center duties.

Thomas, Kyrou, Buch, Neighbours, Schenn, Saad, Texier, Joseph, Faksa, Torpo, Sunny, and Kap were all genuine NHL regulars last year. We didn't offer sheet Holloway on a 2 year deal to leave him out of the lineup. That's 13 guys before you start talking about guys like Bolduc, Dean, Dvorsky, and Walker. Beyond NHL guys competing for increased roles/minutes/opportunities, there is also a fight at the bottom to simply make the roster and opening night lineup.

There is a huge number of battles to watch up front and it is no less uncertain on D.

Leddy, Broberg, Suter, PO Joseph, and Perunovich gives you 5 leftys fighting for 3 spots (and potentially with Kessel to play off side on the 3rd pair). Broberg is going to get every chance to succeed, so that's multiple guys fighting for 1 spot (or maybe 2 if you throw Kessel into the fight). The top unit PPQB is a major unknown.

And to top it all off, we have a head coach who will be running his first NHL training camp.

I think the only point I would argue is Kapanen being a genuine NHL regular last year. I was a little surprised when we brought him back. If he doesn't up his game this year he will be 13th or 14th forward or riding the bus in the AHL. There is just too much competition for those bottom six spots this year.

I see Buch, Thomas, Kyrou, Neighbours and Saad all locked in the top 6 with Schenn, Texier, Holloway, Dvorsky and Bolduc competing for the final spot with the last two beginning in the minors if they don't earn the spot. The bigger competition is in the bottom 6. Two or three of Schenn, Texier and Holloway and then you have Toropchenko, Faksa, Joseph, Kapanen, Walker, Sunny (if healthy) and Sylvegard for six spots. A lot of questions going into this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: AyeBah

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Why would you play Kessel on his offside? Seems like a waste.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think the only point I would argue is Kapanen being a genuine NHL regular last year. I was a little surprised when we brought him back. If he doesn't up his game this year he will be 13th or 14th forward or riding the bus in the AHL. There is just too much competition for those bottom six spots this year.

I think if Armstrong had known he would be able to bring in Holloway, he wouldn't have signed him. He is on a tiny contact that is more of a 13th forward. I agree, he will likely be in the AHL.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Why would you play Kessel on his offside? Seems like a waste.
I think he’s just saying Kessel’s 3RD spot could also be in play - that it would be the lefties playing their off-side if/when occupying the 3RD role.
Yup. I was trying to say that we have 5 left handed D competing for 3 LD lineup spots and potentially also competing with Kessel for the #3 RD spot. My intention was to say that one of the three lefties fighting for a spot in the lineup could potentially earn a lineup spot by playing on their off side on the 3rd pair. I worded it poorly.

I think that Leddy, Parayko, and Faulk are locked in for top 4 roles. I also think that Broberg is a 99% lock to be an every day player on the left side. We'll see what what type of deployment and minutes total that brings, but you don't sign him to that contract to sit him in the press box more than the occasional 'night off to watch the game from up top' scratches.

That leaves Suter, Joseph, Perunovich, and Kessel all fighting for the last 2 spots in the lineup. Maybe throw Tucker into that battle, although I think that his best case scenario is to impress enough that he gets tabbed as the first AHL call up if/when that is needed. I think Kessel has the clear inside track to be the #3 RD based on his play from last year, but I do think that there is potential for Perunovich to grab that spot in camp. He played on the right side in college, so I could see Bannister liking a Suter-Perunovich or Joseph-Perunovich pairing enough to make Kessel the odd man out if he wants Perunovich running the top PP unit.

I don't see any scenario where Kessel plays his off side. I do see potential scenarios where he finds himself in the press box while two lefties are out there on the 3rd pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad