Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Blues Training Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

CAMP SCHEDULE​

Thursday, Sept. 19

10 a.m. - Group A practice (NHL Rink)
10 a.m. - Group B practice (USA Rink)
Noon - Group C practice (NHL Rink)

Friday, Sept. 20
10 a.m. - Group C practice (NHL Rink)
10 a.m. - Group A practice (USA Rink)
Noon - Group B practice (NHL Rink)

Saturday, Sept. 21
9:30 a.m. - Game group practice (NHL Rink)
10:45 a.m. - Non-playing Group A practice (NHL Rink)
10:45 a.m. - Non-playing Group B practice (USA Rink)
6 p.m. - St. Louis at Dallas

Sunday, Sept. 22
9:30 a.m. - Game group practice (NHL Rink)
10:45 a.m. - Non-playing Group A practice (NHL Rink)
10:45 a.m. - Non-playing Group B practice (USA Rink)
6 p.m. - St. Louis at Utah (Des Moines, IA)

TRAINING CAMP ROSTER​

Forwards (33): Nikita Alexandrov (59), Sam Bitten (34), Zack Bolduc (76), Pavel Buchnevich (89), Zach Dean (52), Tanner Dickinson (78), Antoine Dorion (88), Dalibor Dvorsky (54), Radek Faksa (12), Dylan Holloway (81), Adam Jecho (84), Mathieu Joseph (71), Kasperi Kapanen (42), Aleksanteri Kaskimaki (65), Jordan Kyrou (25), Mathias Laferriere (58), Mackenzie MacEachern (28), Hugh McGing (56), Tomas Mrsic (86), Jake Neighbours (63), Matthew Peca (53), Juraj Pekarcik (85), Dylan Peterson (39), Simon Robertsson (80), Brandon Saad (20), Brayden Schenn (10), Jakub Stancl (93), Oskar Sundqvist (70), Marcus Sylvegard (29), Alexandre Texier (9), Robert Thomas (18), Alexey Toropchenko (13), Nathan Walker (26).

Defense (23): Jeremie Biakabutuka (82), Philip Broberg (6), Michael Buchinger (62), Quinton Burns (92), Lukas Fischer (94), Justin Faulk (72), Marc-Andre Gaudet (74), Scott Harrington (41), Adam Jiricek (37), Samuel Johannesson (49), Pierre-Olivier Joseph (77), Matthew Kessel (51), Nick Leddy (4), Leo Loof (46), Anton Malmstrom (33), Matt Mayich (95), Will McIsaac (87), Colton Parayko (55), Scott Perunovich (48), Corey Schueneman (64), Hunter Skinner (43), Ryan Suter (22), Tyler Tucker (75).

Goaltenders (5): Jordan Binnington (50), Will Cranley (31), Colten Ellis (35), Joel Hofer (30), Vadim Zherenko (1).

Injured (1): Torey Krug (47)

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Interesting that Alexandrov is on there, I know a lot of people had speculated he might head back to Europe which I guess still could be the case.
Haven't most of the Euro leagues started their season (or pre-season) already? My guess is that his contract status has more to do with a 1-way versus a 2-way deal or how much he'll make in the AHL on a 2-way deal versus any risk that he bolts.

Reactions: tfriede2

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Haven't most of the Euro leagues started their season (or pre-season) already? My guess is that his contract status has more to do with a 1-way versus a 2-way deal or how much he'll make in the AHL on a 2-way deal versus any risk that he bolts.

Euro leagues are starting right around now, yes. I don't blame Alexandrov for not giving up on his NHL career so easily, but you gotta wonder what his chances are to make the team this year. Then again, an extended time in the AHL might not be the worst thing for him. You'd think he'd have a bigger role now than the last time he was in the minors.

Bummer that training camp starts the day I leave St. Louis, but I will try to catch the prospect camp the 13th-15th. Also good to see Jiricek listed. I guess he is ready to get back on the ice now.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Stenberg (Malmo) and Lindstein's (Brynas) open their SHL seasons a week from today Saturday, September 21st.

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
When does prospect camp start? I haven't gone since they left Traverse City.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Interesting that Alexandrov is on there, I know a lot of people had speculated he might head back to Europe which I guess still could be the case.
It is interesting as I guess both sides are comfortable with him attending camp without a contract. 🤷‍♂️

If he was definitely going to go to Europe, he would’ve done so by now. Any team over there would love to have him. So he must want to keep the NHL dream alive.

My guess is he and the Blues don’t see eye to eye on a contract so maybe he’s willing to come to camp to “prove it” and then get the contract he thinks he deserves. And if not, he’ll then sign in Europe…or maybe swallow his pride and sign with the Blues anyway and head to the AHL. He’d miss the first month or so of any European league if he went that route but maybe he’s willing to do that to take one more shot at an NHL career.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I swear I’d read about some teams starting as early as Sept 11. Is there that much disparity in the start times? I’d have thought this was a CBA determined date for the start of training camp.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I swear I’d read about some teams starting as early as Sept 11. Is there that much disparity in the start times? I’d have thought this was a CBA determined date for the start of training camp.
Was it the Sabres and Devils? If so, their season starts 4 days prior to anyone else because they're playing a couple games in Czechia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reality Czech

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I'd imagine the Blues don't want to give Alexandrov a one way deal without first seeing the shape he's in for camp given he supposedly came into last year's camp in poor shape.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It is interesting as I guess both sides are comfortable with him attending camp without a contract. 🤷‍♂️

If he was definitely going to go to Europe, he would’ve done so by now. Any team over there would love to have him. So he must want to keep the NHL dream alive.

My guess is he and the Blues don’t see eye to eye on a contract so maybe he’s willing to come to camp to “prove it” and then get the contract he thinks he deserves. And if not, he’ll then sign in Europe…or maybe swallow his pride and sign with the Blues anyway and head to the AHL. He’d miss the first month or so of any European league if he went that route but maybe he’s willing to do that to take one more shot at an NHL career.
Perhaps., but I wouldn't assume that his name on the roster necessarily means that he will attend camp if he's still unsigned.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Any word if the prospect games will be live streamed?
I have no idea. But that’d be nice. I attended the Blues/Hawks game here at the Wild’s practice rink a year ago and then watched the stream of the Blues/Wild game so I know the Wild steamed them a year ago. Hopefully the Blues do too.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Does anybody remember the Keith Kachunk debacle? I don't recall ever seeing that in regards to the Blues organization.

In fairness to Keith, I'm pretty sure in the old days most players didn't train at all in the summertime and used training camp to whip themselves into shape. Obviously that's no longer true but Keith's generation was the last one who could get away with that. Especially since he was in the twilight of his career and probably didn't give AF.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
In fairness to Keith, I'm pretty sure in the old days most players didn't train at all in the summertime and used training camp to whip themselves into shape. Obviously that's no longer true but Keith's generation was the last one who could get away with that. Especially since he was in the twilight of his career and probably didn't give AF.
I think given inflation, Walt was making more then than Draisaitl is about to…

And players were expected to come into camp in shape. Or at least not as out of shape as he showed up. Clearly that was the expectation of he wouldn’t have been suspended.

I doubt that’s the issue with Alexandrov. At least not to that degree. I have no recollection of him not coming into camp in shape a year ago. Much more likely IMO the impasse is his likely role on the team and one-way vs two-way contract. Or at least what the AHL salary of the two-way contract should be.

My guess is he wants to keep the NHL dream alive but if he’s going to get sent to the AHL, he’d rather just go play in Europe.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think given inflation, Walt was making more then than Draisaitl is about to…

And players were expected to come into camp in shape. Or at least not as out of shape as he showed up. Clearly that was the expectation of he wouldn’t have been suspended.

I doubt that’s the issue with Alexandrov. At least not to that degree. I have no recollection of him not coming into camp in shape a year ago. Much more likely IMO the impasse is his likely role on the team and one-way vs two-way contract. Or at least what the AHL salary of the two-way contract should be.

My guess is he wants to keep the NHL dream alive but if he’s going to get sent to the AHL, he’d rather just go play in Europe.

That's fair. Showing up to camp a bit out of shape is one thing but Tkachuk was a bit more than that. Still a legend!

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

Even Walt's generation couldn't get away with it.
The Tkachunk incident happened in 02-03. Players were already getting insanely big and insanely fast and the League had already put a clear focus on ending the "clutch and grab" style(the lockout of 04 shut the door on it, but the League had already started enforcing holds and slashes at a higher rate).

Now, in Walt's defense, that was the summer that Chantal was pregnant with Taryn(and IIRC that wasn't an "easy" pregnancy for them) so I can understand Walt being a bit "distracted" that summer. Still, he should have known better than to stay away from the gym for that long.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Even Walt's generation couldn't get away with it.
The Tkachunk incident happened in 02-03. Players were already getting insanely big and insanely fast and the League had already put a clear focus on ending the "clutch and grab" style(the lockout of 04 shut the door on it, but the League had already started enforcing holds and slashes at a higher rate).

Now, in Walt's defense, that was the summer that Chantal was pregnant with Taryn(and IIRC that wasn't an "easy" pregnancy for them) so I can understand Walt being a bit "distracted" that summer. Still, he should have known better than to stay away from the gym for that long.
Zackly! Walt was ridiculed straight away.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
So what is your biggest question going into camp?

My question is how the defense is going to ultimately shake out? I think Leddy, Parayko, Faulk and Broberg are probably everyday locks with Suter, POJ, Kessel and Perunovich rotating in on the 3rd pair?

I think Suter will be the closest thing to a fixture but maybe the Blues give him one game off a week or so to help keep him fresh. A lot of Dallas fans said he was gassed by the end of last year.

Personally I am a fan of the traditional 3 LHD on the left and 3 RHD and was impressed by Kessel's play last year but maybe we see Perunovich slot in there with Suter who can help cover for his defensive mistakes. That gives us Perunovich to use as a PP option.

POJ really does seem like the odd man out here though. He is really going to have to compete hard for ice time this year.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
So what is your biggest question going into camp?

My question is how the defense is going to ultimately shake out? I think Leddy, Parayko, Faulk and Broberg are probably everyday locks with Suter, POJ, Kessel and Perunovich rotating in on the 3rd pair?

I think Suter will be the closest thing to a fixture but maybe the Blues give him one game off a week or so to help keep him fresh. A lot of Dallas fans said he was gassed by the end of last year.

Personally I am a fan of the traditional 3 LHD on the left and 3 RHD and was impressed by Kessel's play last year but maybe we see Perunovich slot in there with Suter who can help cover for his defensive mistakes. That gives us Perunovich to use as a PP option.

POJ really does seem like the odd man out here though. He is really going to have to compete hard for ice time this year.
Defense certainly will be interesting. I see Tucker getting put on waivers and possibly Perunovich as well, Tucker should clear but wouldn't be surprised if a team took a stab at Perunovich. I don't think either would be greatly missed either way.

The bottom 6 forwards should be interesting as well especially if Sunny is healthy on time. Guys like Kapanen, Walker, Sylvegard, etc should make it interesting in the last couple spots on the roster, especially if we plan on carrying 8 dmen again this season. I am assuming Dvorsky starts in the AHL, he would really have to blow the team away to make it at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad