Blues Trade Proposals 2021-2022 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Detroit makes sense as an eventual destination, but I don't see him having any interest in waiving for them this summer. They may be on the rise, but they aren't yet in the ballpark of actual contenders yet. They finished with 74 points and a -82 goal differential.

But more importantly, most of the roster are still just seat warmers until their prospects and young players actualize. Fabbri is the only player on the roster under contract beyond 2023/24 and the bulk of their veterans become UFAs a year from now (Larkin, Bertuzzi, Suter, Sunny, Erne, Gagne, DeKeyser, M Staal, Oesterle, and all the goalies hit UFA either this summer or next).

That team is still multiple years away from competing in the playoffs. There is little incentive for Krug to waive his NTC to go from being a top 4 guy on a top 10 team to go to a team that is still midway through a long-term rebuild.

I cold see him waiving to go there in a couple years when they have actually risen into and through the middle of the pack (and we are potentially fading in the other direction). But that's a couple years out.
I don't think Detroit is quite ready to need Krug (but they do need a player like him), but I also don't think Perunovich is threatening to supplant him just yet. It's a down the road idea, not for the summer

Reactions: Brian39

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Not really sure where to put this thought, but I'll put it here since it fits with off-season plans. If Binnington finishes off Minnesota and plays well against Colorado, I'm going to be fascinated what happens with Binnington/Husso. Most likely scenario will simply be that Husso walks, but part of his hope for a big payday was a strong playoffs. He'll still get good money, but a strong playoff series or 2 would've guaranteed a team making a bet on him being their long-term starter IMO. Now, if Binnington has that strong playoff performance, then his trade value returns to some extent.
I really, really hated Husso's Game 3. That second goal was such poor competition out of him.

Husso is overrated by our fan base. Husso had a stellar January, congrats to him. Binnington had a stellar October. Having a great month in a regular season means little. Husso's last game before the All-Star break was poor, and then after the break he made 705 saves on 778 shots for a below average .906 when he was in the #1 role. In his first playoff experience he has failed to get the job done. There are teams desperate for goaltending who will pay more than what the Blues should pay. I see no contract I'd want the Blues to offer Husso that a team wouldn't beat in UFA.

Reactions: Fez Whatley

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Girard, Toews, Makar, and Byram are all 190 lbs or less, and Toews and Byram are listed at 6-1, Makar is listed at 5-11 and Girard is listed at 5-10, so I really do not see us having a 5-9 Krug and 5-10 Perunovich as being a big deal, especially as they are the only guys who will be under 200 lbs
You can really only try it if you have another all-minutes defender on the top pair and put 47/48 on the bottom two pairs. Neither of the small guys PKs, you need at least four regulars who will.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I really, really hated Husso's Game 3. That second goal was such poor competition out of him.

Husso is overrated by our fan base. Husso had a stellar January, congrats to him. Binnington had a stellar October. Having a great month in a regular season means little. Husso's last game before the All-Star break was poor, and then after the break he made 705 saves on 778 shots for a below average .906 when he was in the #1 role. In his first playoff experience he has failed to get the job done. There are teams desperate for goaltending who will pay more than what the Blues should pay. I see no contract I'd want the Blues to offer Husso that a team wouldn't beat in UFA.
He had a solid finish, a .913 sv% in final 12 games. I wouldn't feel confident banking on him as my long-term starter though.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Husso could wind up next year having a year like Binny had this year, and Binny could have a year like his first year, or they could both suck, or they could both be fabulous
who the heck knows because, well, because they are goalies

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
We agree on that, just saying he's a bit better than just a stellar January.
That stretch you highlighted had to be corresponded with a performance that much below .906 during which the .906 would have been misleading in the other direction. During the time this was all happening, Husso was being talked about as the clear and obvious franchise direction by I would say the majority of Blues fans. Few stuck up for Binnington. Many were vicious toward Binnington. Not you, just making the general observation about the lack of perspective on the performance we actually got from Husso.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That stretch you highlighted had to be corresponded with a performance that much below .906 during which the .906 would have been misleading in the other direction. During the time this was all happening, Husso was being talked about as the clear and obvious franchise direction by I would say the majority of Blues fans. Few stuck up for Binnington. Many were vicious toward Binnington. Not you, just making the general observation about the lack of perspective on the performance we actually got from Husso.
Yeah, I'm not denying his poor stretch, which is why I wouldn't want to bank on him as my starter. Pretty sure we are on the same page and just having a bit of a semantic game. Whether someone thinks Binnington or Husso should be the starter, I don't think either is a safe bet, but if Binnington finds his game this playoffs, he's the better bet.

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
I was coming here to ask the same question… if Perunavich can stay healthy and produce close to what Krug can… what would we want for him. His cap,is not awful and we definitely need cap,space.

Thoughts?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't think we'd move him. I think Army would look at this situation for why the redundancy is a good thing. Parayko and Faulk also operate better with natural puck-movers as their partner, and assuming Bort or Mikkola or someone like that is on the 3rd, a puck-mover with them makes sense as well. I honestly think Army's ideal setup has 3 puck-movers on the left side.

Reactions: ArenaRat

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Perunovich is auditioning for the Chychrum deal. I hope he beasts all through the playoffs. I want to acquire Chychrum without moving Neighbors or Bolduc.

I would be more than happy to load off Neighbors (a likely future 2nd liner), Perunovich, and maybe a 2nd round draft pick for Chychrun.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Not really sure where to put this thought, but I'll put it here since it fits with off-season plans. If Binnington finishes off Minnesota and plays well against Colorado, I'm going to be fascinated what happens with Binnington/Husso. Most likely scenario will simply be that Husso walks, but part of his hope for a big payday was a strong playoffs. He'll still get good money, but a strong playoff series or 2 would've guaranteed a team making a bet on him being their long-term starter IMO. Now, if Binnington has that strong playoff performance, then his trade value returns to some extent.
The entire offseason will be fascinating because basically everything that has happened this series is surely going to make the Blues re-think things. As you said, the Binnington/Husso situation took another turn, and then there’s also Perron as a looming UFA, plus O’Reilly only having one year left. If we thought we could move on from them and count more on our younger players, well… it doesn’t look like that is possible since those two have easily been our 2 best forwards.

Heck, there’s also Barbashev who has been a complete ghost. Maybe he just becomes a 4th liner again, but should we test the market on him and sell high this summer?

Tarasenko’s situation too. And whether they try to keep Leddy who seems to get the team more wins. There’s questions with a lot of guys.

Hopefully we still have plenty more playoff games to enjoy so we don’t need answers yet. But I’ve been thinking of those things.

Reactions: Mike Liut

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Sorry, but I am still not comfortable going forward with both Perunovich and Krug. Perhaps for one more season while Krug heals, but after that ... I think one of them goes in a season or two. People are still talking about trading Scandella, and now re-signing Leddy. A LD of Krug-Leddy-Perunovich? Let's think that through.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I would be more than happy to load off Neighbors (a likely future 2nd liner), Perunovich, and maybe a 2nd round draft pick for Chychrun.

I’d rather do Perunovich and a 1st. I’m really high on Neighbors. He’ll fit the Blues style perfect.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I’d rather do Perunovich and a 1st. I’m really high on Neighbors. He’ll fit the Blues style perfect.

I do like Neighbors. I think he will likely be a poor man's Schenn or maybe a Brendan Morrow type, but I wouldn't let that be a dealbreaker if Arizona insisted on getting a forward prospect in this type of deal.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Arizona will likely want neighbors over Perunovich. Perunovich has been injured and one of the reasons they want to trade Chychrun is because of injuries. Perunovich isn’t that much younger than Chychrun.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Sorry, but I am still not comfortable going forward with both Perunovich and Krug. Perhaps for one more season while Krug heals, but after that ... I think one of them goes in a season or two. People are still talking about trading Scandella, and now re-signing Leddy. A LD of Krug-Leddy-Perunovich? Let's think that through.

He certainly gives us a better power play unit, but I'm not entirely sold he really makes this team much better 5 on 5. Before anyone brings up his even-strength stats, let's consider his usage and how it effects how other defenseman are used. At this point, Krug is probably better off on the bottom pairing with Bortuzzo. If I had to keep one of the two you mentioned, it would be Perunovich given his cap and skating mobility.

Arizona will likely want neighbors over Perunovich. Perunovich has been injured and one of the reasons they want to trade Chychrun is because of injuries. Perunovich isn’t that much younger than Chychrun.

Arizona may want BOTH. Teams that trade players usually want to fill the position they are giving up and with Chychrun being a stud, they will want a package for him warranting a cap controlled forward or forward prospect in addition to a draft pick.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Arizona has been asking for equivalent of 3 1sts for Chycrun. Which helps explain why he is still there.
Their ask will surely change.

That was the price at the TDL and it was for a player who hadn’t sustained another injury.

A trade at the draft will have its own terms.

Same with off-season or approaching training camp etc.

Each scenario will have at least a slightly different ask.

Or am I exaggerating this?

But, to me, none of this matters cuz he’s injured….again.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Their ask will surely change.

That was the price at the TDL and it was for a player who hadn’t sustained another injury.

A trade at the draft will have its own terms.

Same with off-season or approaching training camp etc.

Each scenario will have at least a slightly different ask.

Or am I exaggerating this?

But, to me, none of this matters cuz he’s injured….again.
Perhaps, but would be surprised if they lower ask much. They don’t need to deal him.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Not sure it's possible, much less feasible, but I would just love to see Provorov on a pairing with Parayko. If Fletcher is dumb enough to trade Provorov I hope Armstrong can get creative...

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad