Confirmed with Link: Blues Trade Husso to Detroit

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
That is amazing. Pulling a third from nothing. Sounds like Detroit got to negotiate with him and already had a deal in place.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
He not even remotely close to the money Detroit just spent on him.

Now army, sign my boy Chuckie

Reactions: Kylester

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
I posted about this in a different thread yesterday. Was really hoping to get a 2nd round pick, but the fact we got ANYTHING for Husso...who was clearly not going to stay with the Blues...is a great result. Way to go Army!

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Its unfortunate for us that it took him so long to develop and finally had his good year immediately before he became a free agent. Would have liked a few more years of real production out of him. Such is life though, goalies are hard to predict. Good luck to him in Detroit and Im glad we got an asset for him.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Awesome to get a 3rd out of this.

Wonder if we can get a 2nd rounder in a deal today too.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Its unfortunate for us that it took him so long to develop and finally had his good year immediately before he became a free agent. Would have liked a few more years of real production out of him. Such is life though, goalies are hard to predict. Good luck to him in Detroit and Im glad we got an asset for him.

Exactly, timing and other factors led to Husso becoming UFA at an inconvenient time but at least we got good value out of him on the ice and via trade. Detroit makes a lot of sense though. They can afford a short term gamble on him. If he builds on this year's performance, it will be a great deal for Detroit but if he doesn't, then Detroit is only locked in for 3 years. Either way, Husso has to be happy with a $4 million raise. Good for him, he deserves it.

It's not easy to say this, but having Husso, Sundqvist, Fabbri, and Walman on the team makes me almost hope Detroit does well next season. Stevie Y and Army seem to be pretty tight.

So will Chucky be the backup?

Perhaps, but I wouldn't assume that 100%. I could see another veteran brought in to at least compete for the backup role rather than completely relying on an AHL veteran and 21-year-old.

Last edited:
Reactions: FMichael

Mar 6, 2012
I don't really understand what the extra week of negotiations really gets you. Why should Husso care if Detroit has his rights 5 days early? Why wouldn't he still want to go test free agency?

I understand trading for rights if it's a 6th or 7th round pick with practically no value... and I also understand if it gives you the ability to sign them for 8 years instead of 7... but what is the upside here??? It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I expected Husso to leave the Blues, so them getting a 3rd rounder out of it seems like a huge bonus to me.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

ValHaller

May 23, 2022
St. Louis, MO
I don't really understand what the extra week of negotiations really gets you. Why should Husso care if Detroit has his rights 5 days early? Why wouldn't he still want to go test free agency?

I understand trading for rights if it's a 6th or 7th round pick with practically no value... and I also understand if it gives you the ability to sign them for 8 years instead of 7... but what is the upside here??? It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I expected Husso to leave the Blues, so them getting a 3rd rounder out of it seems like a huge bonus to me.
Tampering. Legal tampering, that's all. Nothing to see here.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
It's kind of interesting the Blues and Red Wings have gone from hated rivals to incredibly common trade partners.

I'm fine with the deal overall, good value even if I'm not in love with our goaltending going forward. This teams identity is it's forwards, and keeping Perron is pretty vital imo at the moment.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Detroit and Husso already agreed on a deal, so it seems like it worked. Most of the time when a team trades for a players rights they sign him. There must be some discussion before hand. Like Stevie Y and Armstrong agreed that Detroit could talk to Husso, and would pay X for his rights if they came to an agreement.

Edit: Also the extra week gets you cap certainty. Detroit now knows they have their goalie in place and how much he will cost. So they can go into free agency with that piece in place.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I bet this is where the Krug speculating started. My guess is that the writers found out St. Louis and Detroit were talking and tried to put two and two together and came up with Krug. I would not have guessed that Detroit would be up for Husso.

Mar 6, 2012
I guess I just don't get it from Husso's perspective. Why not wait 5 days and see what you can get from the rest of the league? Is Detroit really gonna pull the offer away? If they are offering 4.75 today, why wouldn't they also be offering it 5 days later?

Are they like, okay, we acquired your rights and are willing to pay you 4.75, but this offer only lasts 5 days then you can pound sand.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00