Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
A very similar player in Trenin went for a 3rd at this past deadline.

The Oil also got Bjugstad at 50% for a third plus a swap of Dineen and Kesselring at the deadline before that.

I don't mind matching Holloway's offer, but I also don't mind just giving the 4th line LW spot to Lavoie. Holloway's the better player, but he's not 1.5 mil better; and that cap could and would be better spent elsewhere.

For example, you could use that 3rd and extra cap space to get an upgrade at centre for the 4th line (Dowd, Sturm, etc) which is the main weak spot in the bottom 6. Right now if something happens to Henrique the OIl are rather screwed.

Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Lavoie-Sturm-Perry
Ryan

Yes, it's poor value for Holloway. But a 2.3mil cap hit is also not great value for Holloway.
Trenin is 5 years older than Holloway. Bjugstad is ten years older than Holloway.

Signing Holloway for 2.3 when he was only asking for 1.2 is poor management, but it's better management than losing a former first rounder that's finally starting to pop and make an impact for a lousy third round pick.

Reactions: Echodek

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If Holloway goes to St. Louis and flops around the NHL like Tyler Pitlick. He would still have made 13M in career earnings.

If he signed the bargain deal with the Oilers and continued working, he would likely make much more than that.
Injuries happen.
Careers often times dont play out the way a player wants it to.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Well they got what they wanted I guess………
Joke's on them, we can't afford him NOW instead, haha.

What an absolute garbage fire.

Ya it’s not never work another day in your life money, but it’s enough that your income only needs to help cover your day to day expenses, which means you really don’t need to earn that much. You’re pretty damn set up, even if you’re not acquiring generational wealth like McDavid
even if you have to get a regular person job after retirement, life is an entirely different game if you have a home paid off and a million or two in the bank.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
1. This doesn’t happen if Holland is here.

2. The most frustrating part is both these players could have been moved for Buch 50 or 75 percent retained and we’d have Buch signed this year at very cheap.

The Oilers will never admit it, but this was a pretty big misstep in what has been an excellent offseason. Let’s see how they handle it.
This happened because Holland was here and mismanaged everything.

This is just typical "blame the guy who is leaving" stuff that Bob ALWAYS does every time somebody leaves. It's always the last guys fault, every, dam, time.
Yeah usual pathetic behaviour from our media. Gutless when in chair and find their voice second they leave.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
If Holloway goes to St. Louis and flops around the NHL like Tyler Pitlick. He would still have made 13M in career earnings.

If he signed the bargain deal with the Oilers and continued working, he would likely make much more than that.

Broberg I get. That money is likely triple to quadruple what he'd get over the next two years. Even if things go south, that's still 9 over mil earned in 2 years, and if he can keep his head above water, he's in line for a high qualifying offer.

Holloway I'd be tempted to point at Koskin, who held out for ~800k and ended up on the Sharks due to not fitting in with the Wings.
Yes, 4.5 is better than 2.5 mil. But you knew where you fit with the Oilers and what their plan was for you. Instead, you're going to a new team that's deep up front and likely viewed you as a pawn to get Broberg, I'd be weary of that, as he could end up buried in the lineup and directionless very quickly. I don't blame him for taking the bag, but there were more long-term risks with one. A 350 to 400% raise justifies those rises, but I'm not sure a 75% one does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canovin

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think you can match Holloway pretty easily. An extra 900k or so isn't going to break the bank either way.

I'm fairly certain as far as the Blues are concerned here the real prize is Broberg. I think they tendered the two offer sheets knowing that Edmonton would match Holloway but by tendering two it increases the level of scramble necessary to open up cap space.
I keep hearing this but it doesn't make sense. Broberg is the player the Oilers would give hesitation not matching. Even so, if the report of the ask and offer is accurate, on a one year deal, the Oil weren't that eager in having him play in the top 4. Neither was I, and a lot of that was the franchise's fault with the development path they took with the player. I like Broberg but question if he's the player to take a prominent role this early in his career on a team considered a favorite. If he had 200 games played we'd have a better representation of what the player will be.

It's a fan thing. When posters and semi-media personalities were signaling Holloway might have a spot in the top six my initial thought is why the hell would you do that. With Holloway it was either going to be 3rd line winger or 4th line center. If he struggled scoring he could be demoted to 4th line winger.

I wouldn't be shocked if management had early warning on the offer sheets and they gave their blessing. The return isn't phenomenal but certain as assets in the form of picks. Also cap space is made available, which also includes the implications of future projections of cap space. Qualifying offers on the next contracts once these soon to be present contracts are up and possible arbitration hearings become relevant. These always have to come into consideration. Under Holland this aspect of looking to the future in regards to contracts wasn't given close enough attention.

Both players will be missed if the offer sheets aren't matched but the cap issues are real. The Oilers are still paying for the mistakes of the past two regimes. Time will tell if the offer sheet signings were a good move for the Blues or if they embarked on their own salary cap obstacles.
I agree with this, but we haven't lost these guys yet.

But yes, our team is old and slow. I can't believe how many people think we should give up on these dynamic young players.

Just match the offer sheet. Are we so focused on the present that we can just destroy our future this badly?

I'd even argue our team needs the youth and speed to win now.
Let's be honest. Holloway's top projection became questionable as a center, more probability as an energy winger for the bottom six because of his limited scoring ability. Broberg had far more upside but it's questionable that he'd ever reach it.

Both players have injury issues early on in their careers. Not just injury... injuries. The playoffs are the only meaningful healthy string of games for Holloway since he turned pro.

On the other side my personal opinion is both graduated to sure fire NHLers. But whomever the Oilers replace them with, if the offer sheets aren't matched, will also be NHLers.

I'm close to certain that both will be missed but as role players with Broberg having the possibility of being more.
Ok you're smarter than this, I don't know why you're getting caught up the apology tour, but you just have to think about for like 1/2 a second.

The Blues offered that amount because it puts pressure on the Oilers. Does Broberg take $2.5M, $3M if offered? Probably, but that's easier to match, it's REALLY simple.

The player's asks, if that tweet is to be believed, are right in line with what you would expect from an RFA.

If Broberg asks for that much and doesn't become the 3rd best defenseman on the team in the WC & SCFs, are you ok with it then? $1.8M for 1 yr?

It's REALLY simple when you think about it, the Oilers didn't treat these important young players seriously and Stan hasn't been doing anything at all.
You're on the bitter locomotive for the long haul. A good look if you find the appropriate hat. I may not agree with his opinion but that's a fancy lid he's sporting today.

Whose opinions I'd like to hear on Broberg are that from Coffey and Ekholm.
Hell the Blues were hinting at offersheets a some weeks ago in one of their GM pressors. Like, it was in the wind a bit. The issue for the Oilers is both players were on Full Display playing quality hockey in the SCFs, you don't need as much video to make that call.
Interesting. Above I question if the Oilers knew about the offer sheets and gave their blessing, knowing what they stand to lose and the path they would take going forward.

Last edited:

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
These are terrible options for a team that has designs on winning a Cup. Top 4 on a bad team is much different than playing top 4 on a Cup contender. Losing Broberg and even Desharnais for that matter weakens the defense.
The Oilers will be ok in the regular season because of their strength up front but they were depending heavily on Broberg taking that next step.

Yeah but as I mentioned to @CycloneSweep there's a difference between vets that have made big money already and young guys that have been making near league minimum for their first 3 years. I don't think the boys will give Broberg and Holloway the stink eye for chasing the money.
What? Playing top 4 on a bad team and putting up good defensive metrics would mean you would put up better metrics with a good team. I have no clue what you are saying there.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Doesnt have to be career ending. Nagging injuries are a very real thing.
In Broberg's case he also just might not be an NHL player lol.

Holloway seems like the more sure bet to have a longer NHL career. Broberg's career could easily go either way. I think he's going to be a good player, but many people don't.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Broberg I get. That money is likely triple to quadruple what he'd get over the next two years. Even if things go south, that's still 9 over mil earned in 2 years, and if he can keep his head above water, he's in line for a high qualifying offer.

Holloway I'd be tempted to point at Koskin, who held out for ~800k and ended up on the Sharks due to not fitting in with the Wings.
Yes, 4.5 is better than 2.5 mil. But you knew where you fit with the Oilers and what their plan was for you. Instead, you're going to a new team that's deep up front and likely viewed you as a pawn to get Broberg, I'd be weary of that, as he could end up buried in the lineup and directionless very quickly. I don't blame him for taking the bag, but there were more long-term risks with one.
The thing is Holloway is too young to see this thru.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Injuries happen.
Careers often times dont play out the way a player wants it to.
Or the guy flames out. Virtanen, Ritchie, Perlini were drafted between what, like 6-12 in 2014. Ritchie made $12 mill, Virtanen $10 mill, Perlini $4 mill and they are all out of the nhl after 9 years from their draft year.

At 24/25, player who has been pro at the NHL level, teams will begin to cut bait and go with younger guys who have upside potential, if those guys don't produce enough.

Holloway, I get the anger with because the amount, dollar wise, isn't a massive overpay. But, don't know how hard the Oilers were at trying to hold at their number. He and Broberg are not responsible for management's handling of Campbell, (Lucic/Neal), Brown bonus, etc.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
The local media has been like this for as long as I've followed the team.

That band of goons worshipped at the altar of Ken Holland 2 months ago, soon as he is gone for good the knives come out. It's as obvious as it is embarrassing.
Stauffer is not media in any sense of the word
He is paid by the oilers
His shows time slot is purchased by the oilers
He’s less like media and more similar to the Iraqi Information Minister

• Love
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We're just going to have to find a speed bottom 6 player who is hopefully in their 20s still at some point in-season.

Broberg is a goner, and Holloway most likely too when you look at what it would cost to keep him.

Aside from the Bouchard pick we would have been off trading all these 1st round picks at the draft, lol.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
To be fair, both had the option to sign an offersheet. That's player leverage.

Neither player had to sign an extension that they felt was unfair.
They had an option of signing an offer sheet in December/January playing in the minors? Really?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In Broberg's case he also just might not be an NHL player lol.

Holloway seems like the more sure bet to have a longer NHL career. Broberg's career could easily go either way. I think he's going to be a good player, but many people don't.
I would say that both players arent a guaranteed NHL player at the rate they are currently getting paid.
I cant imagine being a young player (with an uncertain future) and walking away from that kind of money.
I dont balme them a bit.
Especially when you hear older players like Henrique talk about how a young player doesnt appreciate how hard it is to get to a Stanley Cup.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
It's just a good move all around by St.Louis and Broberg/Holloway to be honest.

I'm amazed this doesn't happen more. Mediocre teams with cap space taking chances on young players from cap strapped teams.

I do find it amusing that putting in Broberg into the playoffs would be such an absolute boon to the player. Really the same for Holloway. These are playoff contracts imo. Never would have been offered if they both were in the press box.

Even if they both fail horribly in St.Louis there's really no risk to St.Louis.. no term to hurt them.

Out of curiosity if we match can we trade them right away? Just thinking if another team wants that contract and may sweeten the draft pick pot in a pure asset management point.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
What the f*** are you talking about? Oilers had all the leverage.
How? You have a player who asked for a trade, was stuck in the minors all season on an expiring contract. Brobergs game was wait for the summer and hope for an offer sheet. I bet his agent had this planned out as plan A. Then in June he gets told to wait because an offer sheet may come by the end of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad