Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Macblender

May 5, 2014
So yesterday was reported the agents had a feeling this could happen and were advising not to sign. Now there is a target for that’s what they were hoping contracts with the oil would come in at. These don’t necessarily need to be mutually exclusive.

That could have been on the table and their side was sitting on it trying to see if this would happen.

I don’t really know if I can fault management as we don’t know what was on the table and if the other side was actually negotiating in good faith and just waiting to see if the offer sheet came and otherwise they would have signed

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Or he could win 250 million in the lottery.

Using extreme cases is pretty silly.

A fringe pro athlete who isn't a roster staple getting an injury and washing out of a league in a couple of years is hardly some kind of extreme scenario. Happens all the time.

Even without injuries, what's Gilbert Brule doing these days? Magnus Paajarvi?

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I hate offer sheets. Seems like the young players were not on the same page team wise. Broberg I get, you can't say no to 9 million after basically 10 good playoff games as the data sample. And all the screwing around we did with his NHL time. Holloway one hurts, that's a marginal raise.

Business I guess. Smart by the Blues. Should've dealt with these contracts earlier and settled on 1yr bridges.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Holloway goes to St. Louis and flops around the NHL like Tyler Pitlick. He would still have made 13M in career earnings.

If he signed the bargain deal with the Oilers and continued working, he would likely make much more than that.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I guess if you don't want to keep him past this next season, it doesn't matter.
Well the alternative was this. You either don’t get him this year, or if you do it’s at a much higher cap hit then he would’ve signed for directly.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not a whole lot. People will answer "They almost won the Stanley Cup!" which, while true, doesn't guarantee either player will be on the active roster come spring time.
I can't wait for the Oilers to win the cup so we can stop hearing this kind of talk from you

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Either he is out for the full year or not. There is not kind/sorta/maybe ... yes or no, are you playing this regular season or not.
That's the main difference between Kane on LTIR vs guys we know who are out the entire season, like Weber, Price, Poolman, etc. Have to make room to bring them off LTIR if they return later in the season.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
With a million, your mortgage and outstanding debts and expenses would be paid off with plenty of leftover to help your family. At 22, that's a hell of a head start

Ya it’s not never work another day in your life money, but it’s enough that your income only needs to help cover your day to day expenses, which means you really don’t need to earn that much. You’re pretty damn set up, even if you’re not acquiring generational wealth like McDavid

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Well the alternative was this. You either don’t get him this year, or if you do it’s at a much higher cap hit then he would’ve signed for directly.

They clearly didn't want to walk him to arbitration next year and not be able to afford him afterwards.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ya it’s not never work another day in your life money, but it’s enough that your income only needs to help cover your day to day expenses, which means you really don’t need to earn that much. You’re pretty damn set up, even if you’re not acquiring generational wealth like McDavid
I guess the point is that Broberg just guaranteed himself generational wealth. That was not the case three days ago.

There's easily a world where Broberg flames out of the league after this contract. He hasn't really proven anything. And if you think he's going to be awesome, well then he's going to get a nice fat contract after this one, except he's $7 million richer.

Everyone's pointing at the vets taking less like they're sacrificing for the cup, but it sounds like at most those guys gave up $1-2 million, and they've all already made huge sums of money. If Henrique was offered an extra $7 million to go somewhere else, there's no way he's turning that down.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
1. This doesn’t happen if Holland is here.

2. The most frustrating part is both these players could have been moved for Buch 50 or 75 percent retained and we’d have Buch signed this year at very cheap.

The Oilers will never admit it, but this was a pretty big misstep in what has been an excellent offseason. Let’s see how they handle it.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Broberg and Holloway want to get paid like they are playing on non-contending team. The oilers don’t want to be a non-contending team so they have to move on.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
That's the main difference between Kane on LTIR vs guys we know who are out the entire season, like Weber, Price, Poolman, etc. Have to make room to bring them off LTIR if they return later in the season.
Its a long season. Can't rule out injuries to other players during the season that may also need to be put on LTIR for a spell.

Even if Kane goes onto LTIR and comes back early, a good chance someone else gets hurt and goes on LTIR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad