Pre-Game Talk: Blues Moves During Draft Weekend

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What move or moves do you predict the Blues make over draft weekend? Pick all that apply.

• Nothing

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Trade up in 1st Round

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Trade back in 1st Round

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Trade later round picks

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Big trade...big name incoming

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Big trade...big name outgoing

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • Smaller name player trade

Votes: 13 22.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Hawks had a good draft yesterday. Blues continue to do nothing at all. More of the same for a third year in a row is going to severely cripple this fanbase.

I'm fairly happy with our draft day. You don't have to make a bunch of moves just for the sake of making moves. Sure it would have been nice to move up to 12 but we don't know what Philly wanted from us to do so. You're just mad that we didn't trade kyrou for Tkachuk because apparently you think someone that you consider shitty is worth Tkachuk straight up.

Reactions: mk80

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
So many D prospects and we pick injury prone.

This is either genius move or just f***ing garbage move by our scouting team.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I did not have pay a second in a good draft to dump Hayes on my Bingo board.

What the f*** are the Blues doing? Trading a 2nd to move Hayes? Why? We aren't nearly ready to compete and there were some good players to pick there. Worse, 2nds were a big part of the package for Sergachev and Marino. We couldn't have beat those to offers from Utah? Of we couldn't have used that 2nd to move up for Buium? Seems like there are much better deals to be had than saving $3.6M? Or worse, to clear $1,8 as we could have moved him for an assset if we retained half.

*Just saw it was a 2025 2nd. Still not happy with it, but I didn't realize. I haven't been able to watch the draft today,

Reactions: mk80

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Hopefully we use our new found caproom to sign an over priced bozo in free agency and get everyones mind off Krug.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Yeah we need to get as many assets as we can so Armstrong can then use those assets to create cap space due to all the awful signings he has made, mainly Krug, Kyrou and Schenn.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
What the f*** are the Blues doing? Trading a 2nd to move Hayes? Why? We aren't nearly ready to compete and there were some good players to pick there. Worse, 2nds were a big part of the package for Sergachev and Marino. We couldn't have beat those to offers from Utah? Of we couldn't have used that 2nd to move up for Buium? Seems like there are much better deals to be had than saving $3.6M? Or worse, to clear $1,8 as we could have moved him for an assset if we retained half.

*Just saw it was a 2025 2nd. Still not happy with it, but I didn't realize. I haven't been able to watch the draft today,
Makes me think there was more than the on ice performance. They didn’t want him around the team in any capacity. Otherwise, why waste the asset.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Makes me think there was more than the on ice performance. They didn’t want him around the team in any capacity. Otherwise, why waste the asset.
Everyone talks about him being great guy in the room, but Torts felt that he was basically a lazy player. We chalked that up to Torts being difficult, but it's starting to seem like in this case he was maybe right. So if Hayes is gregarious and friendly and younger players are drawn to him but he sets bad example and doesn't work hard enough or play the way we want, that could explain why Army felt he had to cut him loose.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Everyone talks about him being great guy in the room, but Torts felt that he was basically a lazy player. We chalked that up to Torts being difficult, but it's starting to seem like in this case he was maybe right. So if Hayes is gregarious and friendly and younger players are drawn to him but he sets bad example and doesn't work hard enough or play the way we want, that could explain why Army felt he had to cut him loose.
But that’s who Hayes has been for a while now. So why was he a target in the first place? Did we expect him to become a different player?

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
But that’s who Hayes has been for a while now. So why was he a target in the first place? Did we expect him to become a different player?
I think we mistakenly thought he was being unfairly targeted by Torts. I think we really liked him as a person, as a teammate, and fooled ourselves on the player being useless. It was a mistake and today we paid the real cost. But it's not fatal. 2nd rounders are a crapshoot. We have had a lot of high picks last couple years.

But I don't want to see us wasting any more assets shipping other guys on potentially bad contracts out; we either retain or take back similar crap. I'm not up for attaching anything else to move krug (who is really the only other boat anchor). krug at least does play hard and aggressive, so he can set a good example while he plays 17 minutes a night on 3rd pair if we can't find a taker.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And that's probably one of the reasons why Army doesn't want a full tank, and why he sees the value in keeping guys like Saad around when younger players come up.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
This rings true for me. Armstrong is still responsible for misjudging the acquisition in the first place, but it makes more sense why they moved him out. Armstrong didn't badmouth him, but he also couldn't articulate the reason for the trade very believably without dumping dirt on Hayes' reputation as he joined a new team. Its classier to just fall on his sword and take the (deserved) blame without sullying Hayes' reputation more than need be.

Apparently. Maybe Krug vouched for him, other players or other sources that would know the inside scoop well enough. Armstrong feels he was misled or was too optimistic? That scenario makes sense to me with regard to how it all played out.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think we mistakenly thought he was being unfairly targeted by Torts. I think we really liked him as a person, as a teammate, and fooled ourselves on the player being useless. It was a mistake and today we paid the real cost. But it's not fatal. 2nd rounders are a crapshoot. We have had a lot of high picks last couple years.

But I don't want to see us wasting any more assets shipping other guys on potentially bad contracts out; we either retain or take back similar crap. I'm not up for attaching anything else to move krug (who is really the only other boat anchor). krug at least does play hard and aggressive, so he can set a good example while he plays 17 minutes a night on 3rd pair if we can't find a taker.
Blow up so called many crapshoots when you might got good player like Sebastian Aho or Roope Hintz.

To me there IS good pieces in 2nd round you just need to have that pick.

We were over 10mill. $ free caps space. We could afford to burn his contract out.

I have feeling front office werent comfortable to pay deadmoney for Hayes.

This interview tells it. Army talk about money wise. So?? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad