Proposal: Blues - Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
You are not going to get 99% of Blues fans on this board to agree to trade Parayko for anything outside of McDavid. And then some would require a + to even that. He is a player that was a bit of a joke in how much he was hyped. He grew a ton and wasn't really easy to watch playing in Alaska, so it was sort of like hearing stories of a legend. Blues fans started joking calling him Paul Bunyon of hockey carrying around a giant Redwood for a stick and skating on 2 giant saw blades. Then when he hit the AHL/NHL and was actually good, the hype only grew. He was deified by some fans. They took to calling him god, as a joke. But as he continued to impress, for some, it became only a half-joke. Its a bit ridiculous. He is a damn good young player but not out of the question to move him for a potentially elite young center.

That said, I am not high on Nylander as that elite young center. I haven't watched him a ton in the NHL/AHL. The numbers look good and the skill is unquestionable, but I am worried about his size, in terms of being an Elite #1C for a long time. Especially given our top 6 going forward is pretty small. On the flip side, we could have the mighty mites line of Schwartz-Nylander-Fabbri.

I'd pass. Value is there. But not the player I'd target.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
The leafs aren't going to make the playoffs. and that pick will likely be a top 5 pick. I'll go ahead and say that the pick alone at the draft would be more than enough to land you Parayko, assuming he's still relevant.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
It depends on a lot of variables that will probably never happen.

Army couldn't pull off a trade with Shattenkirk. I fail to see how anyone would think he could pull off a trade involving Parayko.

How fast do the other Blues' RHD prospects make the jump to the NHL and do they slot in the 2nd pairing? Is Shattenkirk finally traded soon and if so what does the roster look like after the trade?

I think Nylander + 2017 1st winds up being more value than Draisatl and most fans see Draisatl as really close to equal value.

Nylander is criminally underrated on these boards because he is a leaf and a smaller skilled guy.

Nylander put up 13 pts in 22 games as a 19 year old with a surprising +1 on the last place leafs.
Draisaitl 9pts in 37 games as a 19 year old with an ugly -17 on a terrible oilers team .

Nylander + top 5ish pick as a joke. if thats what blues fans expect for parayako, he is the most overrated player on these boards. did someone actually say mcdavid +? insane :shakehead

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
Fans need to templer their expectations of Parayko a little. I don't think you can call anyone "proven" after one season. There have been a ton of young rookie defensemen in the past few years that have had stellar debutes and have either been unable to build on that or have regressed.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Nylander and a 1st?
I do believe that is an overpayment for Colton Parayko. As amazing as he is, he isn't worth what is a top 10 (maybe 5) pick and Nylander.
Even though Toronto is overpaying, from a Blues perspective I don't take it. Unless Parayko is landing us a potential #1C who fits the mold were looking for, I don't think it's worth moving him and even if that offer (for hypothetical purposes let's say Edmonton offers Draisaitl) is on the table, it isn't full beneficial. We are filling a hole but opening another. Parayko is a top pairing defenseman (or potential top pair) who will play the #2 pair. He can anchor that pair and to trade him is to give up the man to anchor that pair. We do have some defense prospects but none have the same qualities and it's hard to say (outside of Vince Dunn) that any have top pair upside.
Let's say Toronto offers Matthews or wins the 2017 lottery and offers Patrick, then that'd be the more offer were looking for out of Parayko. A #1 center who has size, skill and excellent two-way game.
Obviously Toronto won't trade Matthews and probably wouldn't trade Patrick but I'm using that as an example. So please don't rip me for that.

Toronto is rebuilding, they have their anchor in Morgan Reilly, they should see what Zaitsev, Carrick, become before overpaying and giving Nylander+1st for Parayko.

Either way, the value Parayko has to us, IMO, isn't worth Nylander. The pick we don't know what it is, so that's all speculation.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Drafting a Franchise Defenseman is like opening a Wonka Bar and finding a Golden Ticket.

It's considered blasphemy to speak of it, but it's true--Parayko is already the second best defenseman on the Blues' roster, and there's no reason to think he won't continue improving. The way he sees the ice, the way he controls the game, the way he leads by example, the way he makes a difference on every shift--barring a career ending injury, he will eclipse Pietrangelo, possibly as soon as this season.

Do you think your next three 1st Round picks could land an Alex Pietrangelo?

Of course not.

Why would the Blues trade away a future franchise defenseman, who happens to be cost-controlled, for a handful of your Wonka Bars?

We've already got our Golden Ticket. Go draft your own.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Drafting a Franchise Defenseman is like opening a Wonka Bar and finding a Golden Ticket.

It's considered blasphemy to speak of it, but it's true--Parayko is already the second best defenseman on the Blues' roster, and there's no reason to think he won't continue improving. The way he sees the ice, the way he controls the game, the way he leads by example, the way he makes a difference on every shift--barring a career ending injury, he will eclipse Pietrangelo, possibly as soon as this season.

Do you think your next three 1st Round picks could land an Alex Pietrangelo?

Of course not.

Why would the Blues trade away a future franchise defenseman, who happens to be cost-controlled, for a handful of your Wonka Bars?

We've already got our Golden Ticket. Go draft your own.

that we will. not gonna pass up a guy tsn had rated as the #1 prospect and a potential top 5 pick for a late blooming defender who had a solid rookie season.

franchise defender? lol maybe wait a few years before crowning him the next doughty

Last edited by a moderator:

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Nylander is criminally underrated on these boards because he is a leaf and a smaller skilled guy.

Nylander put up 13 pts in 22 games as a 19 year old with a surprising +1 on the last place leafs.
Draisaitl 9pts in 37 games as a 19 year old with an ugly -17 on a terrible oilers team .

Nylander + top 5ish pick as a joke. if thats what blues fans expect for parayako, he is the most overrated player on these boards. did someone actually say mcdavid +? insane :shakehead

As stated already, Nylander + 1st is probably over value. The issue is the void of Parayko leaving creates. Shattenkirk in all likelihood would never resign with the Blues. Bortuzzo isn't good enough for 2nd pairing minutes. The Blues have a deep pool of Def prospects and Schmaltz could see some RHD time this season. It just leaves a void if Shattenkirk is traded as well.

In a vacuum I take Nylander + the really high 1st and go home.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
that we will. not gonna pass up a guy tsn had rated as the #1 prospect and a potential top 5 pick for a late blooming defender who had a solid rookie season.

franchise defender? lol maybe wait a few years before crowning him the next doughty

thread needs to be locked. leafs fans hate it, blue fans seem to be split between the guys that realize its massive overpay and others that wont trade parayako for anyone not named connor.

Depends on what you mean by "late blooming". He bloomed during his draft year - he was simply playing in a league that scouts rarely followed. Fans that watched him regularly in Alaska during college noted that he was easily their best defender and was NHL ready by his sophomore season there. Typically only die-hard Blues fans knew about this kid, but he wasn't exactly "late blooming"...fans just didn't know how good he was due to where he was playing.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

thread needs to be locked. leafs fans hate it, blue fans seem to be split between the guys that realize its massive overpay and others that wont trade parayako for anyone not named connor.

He isn't even late blooming, he's 22 and he had a .6 points per game average in college, and then had a .41 ppga in his first year in pros as a defensemen. He just chose to go to college and get his schooling done instead of going straight to pros. He would have been on the Blues 1, maybe 2, years ago if he decided to turn pro after the draft.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Depends on what you mean by "late blooming". He bloomed during his draft year - he was simply playing in a league that scouts rarely followed. Fans that watched him regularly in Alaska during college noted that he was easily their best defender and was NHL ready by his sophomore season there. Typically only die-hard Blues fans knew about this kid, but he wasn't exactly "late blooming"...fans just didn't know how good he was due to where he was playing.

cool. nothing against parayko would love him in a leafs jersey but not at the cost of nylander and a top 5 pick. Nylander has done nothing but put up since we drafted him and should be a 60-70pt player for us

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He isn't even late blooming, he's 22 and he had a .6 points per game average in college, and then had a .41 ppga in his first year in pros as a defensemen. He just chose to go to college and get his schooling done instead of going straight to pros. He would have been on the Blues 1, maybe 2, years ago if he decided to turn pro after the draft.

Nylander made an impact in the NHL as a 19 year old. 11pts in 12 games to end the year. pretty hard to pass up on that kinda talent.
the fans in toronto would riot if nylander,marner or matthews were dealt. I think the leafs just see what we have in our group of rielly,gardiner,zaitsev, carrick and marincin. Zatisev was great at the worlds (tourney all star), Rielly was MVP of Canada, Gardiner took a huge leap under babcock, and Carrick was the AHL leading playoff scorer. im not including Dermott who was top 3 in the OHL or Nielsen who was the best WHL dman not namesd provorov.

these leaf deals for a dman need to stop. Liljegren/Foote/Hague can be had with our first next year and be the final piece to our d corps

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Nylander made an impact in the NHL as a 19 year old. 11pts in 12 games to end the year. pretty hard to pass up on that kinda talent.
the fans in toronto would riot if nylander,marner or matthews were dealt. I think the leafs just see what we have in our group of rielly,gardiner,zaitsev, carrick and marincin. Zatisev was great at the worlds (tourney all star), Rielly was MVP of Canada, Gardiner took a huge leap under babcock, and Carrick was the AHL leading playoff scorer. im not including Dermott who was top 3 in the OHL or Nielsen who was the best WHL dman not namesd provorov.

these leaf deals for a dman need to stop. Liljegren/Foote/Hague can be had with our first next year and be the final piece to our d corps

I never said anything about Nylander. He's a great player, and will be one for his career. I only commented about Parayko.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
You are not going to get 99% of Blues fans on this board to agree to trade Parayko for anything outside of McDavid. And then some would require a + to even that.

and there is also the guy that said add marner and its close.
Marner,Nylander,top 5-10 pick for parayko...:shakehead

the guy who said the first thing was joking. the guy who said the second thing is not a blues fan. good try though

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
Here we go with "you're not allowed to reject our prospects and draft picks" overreaction thread again. Find a trade partner that actually wants them. Also if you want to complain about things that are overrated it's receiving draft picks on a team that makes the playoffs on purpose. Hilarious that you try and attack people's judgement by using how horrible the Leafs will be next season though.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Parayko is untouchable piece already.

I view this thread as a insult from Leafs fans not value wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad