Half-Assed GDT: Blues @ Hawks 2pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
y'all lucky im too lazy to copy paste all of the Binnington hate posts you've been making during the last couple weeks into this thread.

f*** the blackhawks.
You mean when he was playing like absolute shit and deserved the criticism? This is the second time Binnington has had back to back quality starts ALL year, and only the second time he's won back to back games since the end of October, let that sink in. He was playing the Blues out of the playoffs.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Huge props to Blues coaching staff. Miko was a mess against Calgary few weeks back and they benched him in 3rd. Ever since he seems like totally different player and he and parayko have been exceptional.
Mikkola is the sort of guy I want to succeed. The Blues drafted him, he has been in our system, and he finally has his chance. He isn't expensive, and it seems that all his alternatives would be hugely expensive.

If Army thinks we can win the Cup with Mikkola in the lineup, lets keep him there and save Neighbors, Porunovich and our other prospects for the future.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He’s going to make it tough on army. Do they try to upgrade #1 LD or roll with him. I’m glad it’s not my decision. I’d almost lean towards roll him him.
I absolutely still try to upgrade. I don't think that he is capable of being a 20+ minute per night shutdown LD for a contender this year. Even if he can do that at times, I don't think he can sustain it for 2 months vs the 1st lines of Minnesota, Colorado, Vegas, Calgary, Edmonton, and whoever comes out of the East. I don't see a playoff path where you don't go through at least 2 of those teams in the West and then play a damn good team from the East.

But let's say that he can sustain it and we could somehow know that right now. We are still allowing a lot of shots and chances. The D could still use improvement even if this version of Mikkola is guaranteed to remain. Bringing in a #1LD allows you to give Krug-Faulk even more favorable usage to dominate even more and it allows you to scale back some of the difficulty of Mikkola-Parayko's usage. Or you can split up Krug-Faulk, give Krug ludicrously favorable usage and give Faulk some tougher minutes with the new guy. Getting a guy who can eat into some of Krug/Mikkola's minutes and ease their burden would absolutely be a huge help. I also really like the idea of rotating Scandella/Bortz in and out of the lineup to keep both fresh (or running 7 D with some frequency) if we don't wind up moving Scandella to make it work.

I'm not willing to sell the farm for a pure rental under any circumstances. I want a 2+ year solution if we are giving up prime assets. Even if Mikkola is a legit #4 D man from here on out, the D would still dramatically improve if we brought in a legit #1/2/3 D man for the left side. It would allow us to better shelter Krug and it would make it possible to move Scandella's salary in the summer if he isn't moved in-season. Mikkola at his absolute best makes the blue line plausibly-competent-enough. There is still lots of room to upgrade.

Reactions: IndimusPrime

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I absolutely still try to upgrade. I don't think that he is capable of being a 20+ minute per night shutdown LD for a contender this year. Even if he can do that at times, I don't think he can sustain it for 2 months vs the 1st lines of Minnesota, Colorado, Vegas, Calgary, Edmonton, and whoever comes out of the East. I don't see a playoff path where you don't go through at least 2 of those teams in the West and then play a damn good team from the East.

But let's say that he can sustain it and we could somehow know that right now. We are still allowing a lot of shots and chances. The D could still use improvement even if this version of Mikkola is guaranteed to remain. Bringing in a #1LD allows you to give Krug-Faulk even more favorable usage to dominate even more and it allows you to scale back some of the difficulty of Mikkola-Parayko's usage. Or you can split up Krug-Faulk, give Krug ludicrously favorable usage and give Faulk some tougher minutes with the new guy. Getting a guy who can eat into some of Krug/Mikkola's minutes and ease their burden would absolutely be a huge help. I also really like the idea of rotating Scandella/Bortz in and out of the lineup to keep both fresh (or running 7 D with some frequency) if we don't wind up moving Scandella to make it work.

I'm not willing to sell the farm for a pure rental under any circumstances. I want a 2+ year solution if we are giving up prime assets. Even if Mikkola is a legit #4 D man from here on out, the D would still dramatically improve if we brought in a legit #1/2/3 D man for the left side. It would allow us to better shelter Krug and it would make it possible to move Scandella's salary in the summer if he isn't moved in-season. Mikkola at his absolute best makes the blue line plausibly-competent-enough. There is still lots of room to upgrade.
I agree wholeheartedly. The Blues' defence needs more upgrade than just Mikkola playing at a legitimate Top 4 level. The blues need to add a Top 3 level D-Man, who can be with the team at least 3 years.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Wish people would stop trying to split up the Krug/Faulk pair. They are one of the most effective pairings in the entire league and their usage doesn't need to be changed at all. I'm all for trying to upgrade either Parayko's partner or the third pair but please leave the pair that's a combined +60 alone.

How about that stretch pass from Krug to spring Kyrou for the breakaway? Just an absolutely filthy pass. Krug is a badass.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Wish people would stop trying to split up the Krug/Faulk pair. They are one of the most effective pairings in the entire league and their usage doesn't need to be changed at all. I'm all for trying to upgrade either Parayko's partner or the third pair but please leave the pair that's a combined +60 alone.

How about that stretch pass from Krug to spring Kyrou for the breakaway? Just an absolutely filthy pass. Krug is a badass.
Thank you. Splitting up Krug-Faulk makes no sense at all right now.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
How far do you think this team can go? Feeling optimistic, either way, it'll be a fun ride! :yo: :blues :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad