Blues Goalie Prospects Ranked

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Husso at 7, Copely at 11 and Binnington at 33 in top 50 goalie prospects rankings for 2015-2016.

http://ingoalmag.com/features/top-50-nhl-goaltending-prospects-for-2015-2016-season/

#7 -Ville Husso

Ville Husso was drafted 94th overall by the St. Louis Blues one year after the Nashville Predators took fellow 20-year-old Finn Juuse Saros 99th overall. Their stats over the past two seasons in the SM-Liiga are extremely close as well, but that’s where the similarities end. While the smaller Saros relies on quickness and aggressive play-reading to get by, Husso does not. At 6-foot-3, he isn’t required to play that way – so he chooses a more structured route to success. Scouts believe that there is still some untapped raw ability deep down that he has yet to harness, which has Blues’ management extremely excited to work with him.

Splitting time on the Finland under-20 team with Saros, Husso has been handed a lot of opportunities to develop quickly – and he is finally starting to take advantage. His biggest criticism over the years has been towards his dedication, which was likely the reason that he was passed over in his first draft-eligible season. He has quieted the doubters with his excellent play recently. He is in the final year of his contract with HIFK, and will remain in Finland to play out the rest of that deal. After that, expect Husso to make the jump to North America to begin his ascent up the Blues’ suddenly stacked goaltending depth chart.

#11 - Pheonix Copely

The Michigan Tech graduate took tremendous strides in 2013-2014, becoming one of the AHL’s top goaltenders while playing for the Hershey Bears. He is tall and lanky, but is a pure athlete that has displayed elite puck tracking ability. He was shipped from the Washington Capitals to the St. Louis Blues in the T.J. Oshie trade – which may not have happened if Copley wasn’t included as part of the deal, by some reports. Capitals’ goaltending coach Mitch Korn will be sad to see him go, but it is a wonderful opportunity for Copley to join a new organization and continue to prove that he is ready to step into an NHL role.

#33 - Jordan Binnington

When reviewing the St. Louis Blues’ long term options in goal, Binnington is on the outside looking in despite having two great seasons to begin his professional career. Ville Husso is far and away their best prospect, but is still likely a year away from arriving in North America. The T.J. Oshie trade also landed them Pheonix Copley, another high end prospect. If Allen takes over as the starter on the big club as expected, it wouldn’t be shocking to hear Brian Elliott’s name in trade rumours once again. If not, a change of scenery may be necessary because Binnington is outgrowing the AHL very quickly.

Last edited:

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I think it's great that the Blues have a full stable in development...definitely the smartest way to get a quality goalie IMO.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I'd personally have Binningron ahead of Husso and Copley, Husso not far behind though

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'd personally have Binningron ahead of Husso and Copley, Husso not far behind though

I think we are going to find out when Husso comes NA and they all play same league, hopefully its next season.

Btw what if we have 3 goaltenders in Chicago: Binnington, Copley and Husso. Is that normal AHL team have such a many good goaltenders fighting spot to play AHL team and future NHL career? Btw can they hold up 3 goaltenders or are we gonna see nice competition in camp?

Starting to like we have decent debt with goaltender part. Better change someone will develops elite goaltender or starter at least.

@carter333167: its Phoenix Copley not Copely. Or If we speak in finnish rally (Mika Häkkinen/Marcus Gronholm) English its Fiiniks Koppelo.

Last edited:

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
They seem to be ranked in a way where potential ceiling is the biggest factor. Yes, Binnington is the most NHL ready of the 3, but in terms of developement, his ceiling is lower than that of Husso and Copley

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well if Husso and Copley smoke Binnington in potential....then they absolutely blow Allen out of the water, because we're starting to realize HF may have been onto something with Binnington over Allen. I've always been fairly high on Husso as far as goalies go though.

I think we'll see a goalie moved this year, Binnington/Copley will take backup next year and Husso will come over. Husso=endgame ; )

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
I agree with the order they are presented in (just the Blues prospies).

Don't understand why Bennington is viewed so much higher than Copley or Husso on our board.

Also, it is nice to see that we have the best stable beside those of the Jets, Bruins, Caps...

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
They seem to be ranked in a way where potential ceiling is the biggest factor. Yes, Binnington is the most NHL ready of the 3, but in terms of developement, his ceiling is lower than that of Husso and Copley

I agree with the order they are presented in (just the Blues prospies).

Don't understand why Bennington is viewed so much higher than Copley or Husso on our board.

Also, it is nice to see that we have the best stable beside those of the Jets, Bruins, Caps...

How does Copley have higher potential than Binnington exactly?

Binnington has been a starter all through his junior career since being drafted by the Blues and has put up very impressive numbers while doing so. He then transitions seamlessly into the professional ranks with a very good ECHL stint and then a very good AHL season while being one of the biggest reasons that Chicago actually made the play-offs. Yet Copley puts up average numbers all through his career until he started playing behind a very good Hershey team, as a back-up. Yes, Copley did have an impressive play-offs, but then again, Binnington had a .938 save percentage and a 2.16 GAA, so I really don't think that argument holds up.

I'm glad we have Copley, but I really don't understand how people view him as higher than Binnington. That's just very illogical.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

Binnington has been a starter all through his junior career since being drafted by the Blues and has put up very impressive numbers while doing so. He then transitions seamlessly into the professional ranks with a very good ECHL stint and then a very good AHL season while being one of the biggest reasons that Chicago actually made the play-offs. Yet Copley puts up average numbers all through his career until he started playing behind a very good Hershey team, as a back-up. Yes, Copley did have an impressive play-offs, but then again, Binnington had a .938 save percentage and a 2.16 GAA, so I really don't think that argument holds up.

I'm glad we have Copley, but I really don't understand how people view him as higher than Binnington. That's just very illogical.

I was wondering this exact same thing

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

Undrafted, through which has proven to be mentally tough and has improved as he has gone up the ladder. The moment the question of Binningtons mental toughness came up seems to be when his number on this list dropped hard. Its a silly list anyway and I expect to see Binnington do great things.

If Hussos game translates in the ahl/nhl it will be glorious.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013

I attempt to remain illogical on here, as opposed to those who group up to pretend that HF is a hangout for logic.

It just isn't fun to use stats to support what people already believe. I've used stats in the past to support what people didn't want to believe, and they didn't believe.

Copley and Husso are my picks over Binnington. It has to do with tangibles, in terms of poetry and the bathetic nature in which some goalies approach the sport, as well as the cover of NHL 18, which is up for glove hands or five holes, if you ask me.... *drops puck*:yo:

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Well if Husso and Copley smoke Binnington in potential....then they absolutely blow Allen out of the water, because we're starting to realize HF may have been onto something with Binnington over Allen. I've always been fairly high on Husso as far as goalies go though.

I think we'll see a goalie moved this year, Binnington/Copley will take backup next year and Husso will come over. Husso=endgame ; )

Don't see how you would think they were on to something, Allen is an NHL goalie probably our season starter. Allen played well in the playoffs until the last 2 games. Price struggles and couldn't start over Halak early on. It was Allen's 1st pro season and IMO he played about as well as we could expect last season. It's not like Allen is at his ceiling. He has all the tools his only real question mark is his mental ability. I think having someone like Marty around will only help Allen.

As for the list any list with Furcule over Binnington can't be taken to seriously.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Don't see how you would think they were on to something, Allen is an NHL goalie probably our season starter. Allen played well in the playoffs until the last 2 games. Price struggles and couldn't start over Halak early on. It was Allen's 1st pro season and IMO he played about as well as we could expect last season. It's not like Allen is at his ceiling. He has all the tools his only real question mark is his mental ability. I think having someone like Marty around will only help Allen.

As for the list any list with Furcule over Binnington can't be taken to seriously.
Yes the only question mark is the one that's a glaring one. I'm not in one goalies corner or the others', but the big issue with Jake has always been his ability to rise to the occasion. He once again showed that he collapses when he's needed.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Undrafted, through which has proven to be mentally tough and has improved as he has gone up the ladder. The moment the question of Binningtons mental toughness came up seems to be when his number on this list dropped hard. Its a silly list anyway and I expect to see Binnington do great things.

If Hussos game translates in the ahl/nhl it will be glorious.

What are you referring to?

Binnington made a strong case for himself based on his AHL playoffs performance, in this category. I haven't heard anything where his mental toughness has been suspect.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I think you look at it in terms of how the players are trending:
Binnington has impressed at every level, and is continually improving. He's given nobody any reason to doubt what he can do.

Husso knocked it out of the park in his first pro season as a 19 year old, but regressed slightly in his sophomore year. Will he bounce back? We'll see.

Copley has been mediocre for mediocre teams his entire career, and then takes a huge leap forward after spending a season with Scott Murray and the watchful eye of Mitch Korn. Can Dubicki and Corsi keep him on the ascending track? Or does he come back down to earth?

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Let's not forget that the article was written by someone with zero authority whatsoever.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I just hope that one of Husso, Binnington or Copley develop into a top 10 goalie....top 5 and I will be ecstatic.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I keep reading posters in this forum saying things along the lines of "Binnington has impressed/proven himself at every level he has played." And he did have a very good OHL season, a good year in the ECHL, and a good 1/2 of a season in the AHL. This past year with the Wolves Binnington undeniably showed flashes of brilliance. Yes he has put up solid statistics and has a lot of potential, but after watching some tape I see a couple holes in his game.

Granted the Wolves highlights on youtube mostly show goals and scoring chances so they are not a complete picture. But there are some areas where Binnington struggled throughout the season including rebound control and puck handling. He gave up a LOT of juicy rebounds, not just off his pads but off his upper body too. Binnington also did not look comfortable handling the puck. At times he would sit back and not play pucks he should have or when he did decide to play the puck he made mistakes and got caught outside the net while doing so.

The truth is Climie was the Wolves starter early in the season and Binnington struggled mightily at points (as any rookie would). There was a stretch in early January in particular when he really struggled. He got beat quite often on the short side at bad angles and he appeared to have difficulty tracking the puck at times IMO.

All in all, Binnington had a good rookie year in the AHL and is an excellent prospect. As the year progressed, Binnington improved steadily and elevated his game. However, he still has plenty to prove. I am not particularly impressed by solid ECHL numbers or winning OHL goalie of the year.
Mid season struggles (January 10th):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSlNzznlLdI

Later in the season (April 10):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfO2hVWWeoY

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad