Blues cancel practice after multiple Positive COVID-19 tests.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
the question I can’t help but think about is what year MIGHT we think about having hockey?

forget this year, forget next year, what if we still have no vaccine or no progress by 2022 or later?

Then we will have have much bigger problems to worry about than hockey coming back.

Reactions: OddyOh

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Four Blues players, one coach have tested positive for COVID-19, per source

"The problems may have started at a bar in Clayton where several team members gathered more than a week ago. Members of the general public also were in the establishment, according to the source. A few days after that get-together, a player tested positive."

Oh, smart guys.

f***in hell boys. I know being locked up sucks but for the money they would be paid I would be all about that quarantine life.

Reactions: Eisen

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
If they got all these players out of the USA and into canada, and quarantined for a few weeks, there would be a chance. So many of these guys are still in the usa and thats going to cause issues.

Reactions: Merrrlin

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
As far as I can tell there aren’t any NHL player SICK from Covid-19. At least nothing has been reported there, and multiple reports of guys ‘feeling fine’. There are asymptomatic players who are testing positive when every person is blanket tested (daily I believe). If the guys are feeling OK, it’s just a matter of limiting spread from careless exposures. That is the entire point of the sequestered bubble.

What is happening now has to be pretty much what everyone expected would happen when they composed this plan. Why would the league fragilely panic and abandon the plan at this stage? Pro soccer leagues have been playing and absorbing players testing positive just fine.

If a player is asymptomatic, that doesn't mean damage isn't being done to the respiratory system. It's quite possible that months down the road, that person could end up feeling the after effects of having the virus.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
If a player is asymptomatic, that doesn't mean damage isn't being done to the respiratory system. It's quite possible that months down the road, that person could end up feeling the after effects of having the virus.

Serious question, as I don’t know - is there evidence of this happening in asymptomatic cases, or is this simply an “anything is possible” statement?

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

varano

Jun 27, 2013
the question I can’t help but think about is what year MIGHT we think about having hockey?

forget this year, forget next year, what if we still have no vaccine or no progress by 2022 or later?
Over here, I want to say in BC... Adult rec hockey is starting with rules that really take away from the game. No faceoffs, 4 on 4. Limited bench to two lines.... I wonder if things get serious.. would the nhl change the rules of the game

varano

Jun 27, 2013
What are you saying then? They're trying to start the season purely for the love of the sport?

It's utterly clear that money is driving these actions. Thinking this is not 100% about the money is so naive that I'm just speechless.
The NHL is trying to fullfill its TV contract. The NHL is not above any other business that is suffering right now and will need to find a work around with its networks. Whether its a credit towards next year or whatever the case is. I know that theyre trying to make money. I'm not stupid. They have billions of dollars of TV contracts to fullfill.

What I'm saying is that they are not immune to covid and will have to suffer like everyone else. Hockey will not happen. NHL Players are not immune to covid.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It means they are physically well enough to do any activities they want to, including playing hockey. The only obstacle left is controlling the exposures to other people.

The histrionic worries about permanent damage of any significance in an asymptomatic case is an oxymoron. Just because I can detect that the person previously had an infection doesn’t mean there are symptoms that affect that person’s daily life. Any respiratory virus can leave permanent effects. They just happen rarely and people are largely ignorant of that. Many people who have been dismissing any comparisons to influenza are failing to acknowledge how widely influenza can affect the body (cardiomyopathy, encephalopathy, etc) and that permanent damage is possible. In that respect, Covid is similar to influenza, and metapneumovirus, etc.

If a dude hasn’t recovered his sense of smell, he didn’t have an asymptomatic case in the first place!

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
It means they are physically well enough to do any activities they want to, including playing hockey. The only obstacle left is controlling the exposures to other people.

The histrionic worries about permanent damage of any significance in an asymptomatic case is an oxymoron. Just because I can detect that the person previously had an infection doesn’t mean there are symptoms that affect that person’s daily life. Any respiratory virus can leave permanent effects. They just happen rarely and people are largely ignorant of that. Many people who have been dismissing any comparisons to influenza are failing to acknowledge how widely influenza can affect the body (cardiomyopathy, encephalopathy, etc) and that permanent damage is possible. In that respect, Covid is similar to influenza, and metapneumovirus, etc.

If a dude hasn’t recovered his sense of smell, he didn’t have an asymptomatic case in the first place!

At least with the flu there's some semblance of a vaccine. There's nothing for Covid. I also think it's short sighted to say that pro athletes who are in the primes of their lives are gonna be just fine if they get the virus. Fact of the matter is, there are probably more athletes with underlying heart conditions than people think. It makes sense when you think about it because athletes put more stress on their cardiovascular system than normal people.

Regardless, I have very little doubt that they'll play. They've already committed too much effort and money into this restart not to give it a go. However, the concerns over them playing are not insignificant. If god forbid just one player has to be hospitalized from this virus, or even worse dies, that's when the whole thing comes crumbling down.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The NHL is trying to fullfill its TV contract. The NHL is not above any other business that is suffering right now and will need to find a work around with its networks. Whether its a credit towards next year or whatever the case is. I know that theyre trying to make money. I'm not stupid. They have billions of dollars of TV contracts to fullfill.

What I'm saying is that they are not immune to covid and will have to suffer like everyone else. Hockey will not happen. NHL Players are not immune to covid.

I also doubt hockey will happen. They're already looking at multiple cases. I was just contesting the idea that money doesn't matter. It does. Unless there would be so much financial interest to play the season we would not be even having this conversation.

No-one has claimed NHL or hockey players are immune to covid. You on the other hand claimed that money plays no part in this. Which I'm sorry to say, is just stupid. Money is the only thing that even keeps the discussion going. Without potential financial losses of this magnitude the NHL would have announced long time a go that they're not playing this season. They might still not play, but they're trying really hard to get the season going. And the reason for that is 100% money.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I have very little doubt that they'll play. They've already committed too much effort and money into this restart not to give it a go. However, the concerns over them playing are not insignificant. If god forbid just one player has to be hospitalized from this virus, or even worse dies, that's when the whole thing comes crumbling down.
That could become the next hot topic as an HFB thread: "POLL: Which NHL player will become the first to die of COVID?"

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If they got all these players out of the USA and into canada, and quarantined for a few weeks, there would be a chance. So many of these guys are still in the usa and thats going to cause issues.

People can be stupid anywhere.

Reactions: bl02

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm mind blown by the selfishness. People really just got bored and decided COVID was over. The strongest sense 20-30 year olds have is FOMO. Instagram has rotted their brains.
In my experience younger people are taking it more seriously than older people when I go out or talk to people. That being said, theres barely been any cases in my county in the last month or so, and we got hit harder (per capita) than just about anywhere else in Ontario.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
In my experience younger people are taking it more seriously than older people when I go out or talk to people. That being said, theres barely been any cases in my county in the last month or so, and we got hit harder (per capita) than just about anywhere else in Ontario.

This is not the case down here in FL. It wasn't taken seriously enough at the out set. Then the foot was taken off the break. And now...you see the results.

The toothpaste is out the tube. You can't put it back in.

The only way is to greatly reduce the bubble. Eight teams...maybe 4. Quarantine and play. 22 teams was always too many and frankly...a dream.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Have you not been paying attention? Do you have absolutely no idea whats happening in the world right now?

Seriously? That's the conclusion you drew from my post? Yeah, I know a lot of places in the US are spiking. And a lot of places in the US aren't spiking right now. If people do dumb stuff like go out to bars packed with people not wearing masks, it doesn't really matter if they're in the US or Canada. That was my point.

Reactions: bl02

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I guarantee back in April when they started to formulate the RTP plan, they envisioned the virus being completely gone by this point, not GETTING worse.

Well things are slowly getting better everywhere except in the US (and Brazil). Teams should not be practicing in the US.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Seriously? That's the conclusion you drew from my post? Yeah, I know a lot of places in the US are spiking. And a lot of places in the US aren't spiking right now. If people do dumb stuff like go out to bars packed with people not wearing masks, it doesn't really matter if they're in the US or Canada. That was my point.

Well it does actually because there isnt a single state in the entire USA with less active cases than a province in canada. I.e. there are far less people to catch a virus from. Not to mention that people can travel from state to state unchecked in the US so even a state with less cases than others is still a higher risk than just about anywhere in canada.

Too many americans refusing to wear a mask "becuz muh rites" has caused the USA to become the worst country in the world with this pandemic. It makes the entire country a hazard along with everyone in it. There is a good reason the entire world is not accepting americans right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad