Prospect Info: Blues 2024-2025 Prospect Thread

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Pekarcik's rights in the QMJHL have been traded from Acadie-Bathurst to Moncton. Moncton are contenders this season and they just signed Swedish defenseman Loke Johansson.

2024-08-01Acadie-BathurstJuraj Pekarcik
(2005-09-12)
MonctonRD_3,2026 Bat

And on their website the Wildcats have him in their locker room doing an interview with the jersey on.

Last edited:

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Pekarcik's rights in the QMJHL have been traded from Acadie-Bathurst to Moncton. Moncton are contenders this season and they just signed Swedish defenseman Loke Johansson.

(2005-09-12)
MonctonRD_3,2026 Bat

And on their website the Wildcats have him in their locker room doing an interview with the jersey on.

That seems like a great spot for him. Will definitely be catching a handful of their games this season.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

aceoutdoor

Jun 7, 2012
I think at this point in time we must also remember Juraj Pekarcik was drafted at 17 y/o, and wont turn 19 until 24/25 preseason ends 1 week before opening night regular season. He is still very young with a possible high ceiling. Pekarcik, Stancl and Kos are going to be very interesting to watch.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

(2005-09-12)
MonctonRD_3,2026 Bat

Fantastic news, thanks for sharing!

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think at this point in time we must also remember Juraj Pekarcik was drafted at 17 y/o, and wont turn 19 until 24/25 preseason ends 1 week before opening night regular season. He is still very young with a possible high ceiling. Pekarcik, Stancl and Kos are going to be very interesting to watch.

Lucas Fischer is also 17. Jiricek just turn 18 right around the draft.

Reactions: LogosBlue

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If he had been born just 4 days later he would have been in the 2024 draft class instead of the 2023 draft class. I can't help but wonder how his USHL season would have impacted his draft position if he had been just a few days younger and was in the 2024 draft.

I'm really excited for him to be going to a quality QMJHL team. That is a clear step up in competition from the USHL and is a completely appropriate league for a 19 year old to develop. Add him to the Dvorsky/Jiricek list of European guys that we've gotten into the CHL for development.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If he had been born just 4 days later he would have been in the 2024 draft class instead of the 2023 draft class. I can't help but wonder how his USHL season would have impacted his draft position if he had been just a few days younger and was in the 2024 draft.

I'm really excited for him to be going to a quality QMJHL team. That is a clear step up in competition from the USHL and is a completely appropriate league for a 19 year old to develop. Add him to the Dvorsky/Jiricek list of European guys that we've gotten into the CHL for development.
I’m interested to see if the move to the Q will help him unlock more of a scoring touch to go along with his plus playmaking abilities.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

The Q is a much easier league to score in, It’s great for confidence and developing offensive abilities, so I agree with you it’s great for Pekarcik this year. But it is not a clear step above the USHL. USHL is generally a league with more structured styles of play in order to prepare kids for NCAA, which in turn makes it tougher to score in. If the USHL kept all of its elite 18/19/20 year olds it loses to NCAA it’d blow the Q out of the water.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

Assuming he actually gets playing time.
Moncton has a lot of talent, Pekarcik is going to have to work for his minutes.
Not saying he can't force his way into top line/top 6 minutes; but it's not going to be handed to him. It could be really bad for Juraj if he gets buried in Moncton's depth.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The Q is a much easier league to score in, It’s great for confidence and developing offensive abilities, so I agree with you it’s great for Pekarcik this year. But it is not a clear step above the USHL. USHL is generally a league with more structured styles of play in order to prepare kids for NCAA, which in turn makes it tougher to score in. If the USHL kept all of its elite 18/19/20 year olds it loses to NCAA it’d blow the Q out of the water.
And if grandma had a d.. she’d be grandpa. Ushl is as you say great development league for 16-18yo, but all the decent older kids are gone. At least in Q he will get to go against older kids too. That feels better for him at this point.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I know that back in the day, this was true for the Q. Today though? I'm not sure how much different the leagues are in general. I remember seeing a doc describing the differences, but I'm at work so I can't really speak to that.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Not saying he can't force his way into top line/top 6 minutes; but it's not going to be handed to him. It could be really bad for Juraj if he gets buried in Moncton's depth.
He presumably wouldn’t have elected to go there if there wasn’t clear path to life time. This isn’t pro league where he gets buried like dvo did. He should be among better players in entire Q.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Quite frankly, if he is unable to get good minutes in the Q then we shouldn't really be too worried about him as a prospect as he probably wouldn't be good enough, I would expect him to do very well in that league.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The USHL is a great league for NCAA prep and general development for young NHL-potential prospects. But they do lose those elite 18/19/20 year old kids to the NCAA while the three CHL leagues keep all but a small handful of theirs. I'd agree with you that the USHL would dominate the Q if they kept all their high end 18-20 year olds. But they don't.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
The USHL is a great league for NCAA prep and general development for young NHL-potential prospects. But they do lose those elite 18/19/20 year old kids to the NCAA while the three CHL leagues keep all but a small handful of theirs. I'd agree with you that the USHL would dominate the Q if they kept all their high end 18-20 year olds. But they don't.
Correct, but even regardless of losing the elites at 19, the USHL from top to bottom is a much more structured style of play and a harder game to score in versus the Q and O in general..... the depth and quality of the league top to bottom is generally above the Q and O etc... if not due to solely being the only tier 1 league in USA so all the talent goes to those 16 teams etc....

Sorry for ranting, i'm tired of people who don't know anything about the USHL continually putting it down and acting as if the candian leagues are blatantly superior.... it's just not the case....there's a reason alot of kids who can't or struggle to score in the USHL go to the O or Q and score. etc...

Adam Fantilli, macklin celebrini and owen power obviously thought it was a good enough league for them ya know.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Correct, but even regardless of losing the elites at 19, the USHL from top to bottom is a much more structured style of play and a harder game to score in versus the Q and O in general..... the depth and quality of the league top to bottom is generally above the Q and O etc... if not due to solely being the only tier 1 league in USA so all the talent goes to those 16 teams etc....

Sorry for ranting, i'm tired of people who don't know anything about the USHL continually putting it down and acting as if the candian leagues are blatantly superior.... it's just not the case....there's a reason alot of kids who can't or struggle to score in the USHL go to the O or Q and score. etc...

Adam Fantilli, macklin celebrini and owen power obviously thought it was a good enough league for them ya know.

I don’t think any league is better than the others. They just offer different things. CHL leagues have more quality in the 18-20 age group but at the end of the day I think teams from all leagues can beat each other. Structure is a huge part of hockey now, both in the CHL and the USHL. The 90’s have been over for a long time.

There are bad and good organizations in both leagues. There are two Quebec Remparts players who won with them in 2023 who said they left the USHL because they didn’t like their time in the league. Contrary can be true as well.

Reactions: OSA

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
FYI

Moncton hired one of the best coaches in Canada this summer in Gardiner MacDougall. He has had numerous CHL offers over the years but he had always decided to stay with the University of New Brunswick Reds program. His team went 43-0 last season and he finally accepted an offer from Moncton.

He has won 9 national championships in 24 years behinds the Reds' bench. He was also the head coach of the U18 Canadian team that won gold last May. Canada won its 7 games so that gives him a 50-0 record in 2023-2024.

Pekarcik is in very good hands.

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

On that last point, you can’t play NCAA if you play on the CHL. Those guys wanted to play college hockey so they chose the USHL over the Bwhatever.

Everyone has their own development path. And to be honest, many USA players play in the CHL so it isn’t like they don’t head to Canada and only play in the USHL.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

I would agree it is far more structured. I enjoy watching USHL games on par with OHL and WHL. I think the language barrier effects me watching as many Q games. I would say the pace and size in the Q seem to be slower and smaller than the other 3. The Q just had a terrible draft class and this was does look a whole lot better this year.

Reactions: DatDude44

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I would agree it is far more structured. I enjoy watching USHL games on par with OHL and WHL. I think the language barrier effects me watching as many Q games. I would say the pace and size in the Q seem to be slower and smaller than the other 3. The Q just had a terrible draft class and this was does look a whole lot better this year.

The actual Q draft class looks good for the 2025 NHL Draft. There’s a dip for 2026 but 2027 and 2028 should be great.

The 2025 and 2026 QMJHL draft classes are described as the best in a long time. They’re mostly NHL 2027-2028 eligibles.

Also, some players who have gone from OHL to QMJHL say the play in the Q is faster.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I was up at Plymouth last night for the Sweden USA game. I was able to watch Ralph, L Fischer, Lindstein, and Stenberg.

This is just one game observations so take it for what it is worth.

1. Lindstein - for a guy that has concerns about his offense - well he ran point on the PP. 1g 2a.
Moves the puck well. Didn't serve anytime at the PK - which surprised me. Solid all around Dman. He was captain and it showed. I think he is the best prospect we have.

2. Stenberg: Agitator. Constant yapping and getting under the USA players skin. Had a 5 min major due to his play (meaning the other guy got the 5 and a game). 2 assist. Great with the puck and solid without the puck. Been there and done that kind of player. Usually on the ice with Lindstein's pairing. Both teams seemed to go 4 full line changes and just go down the line, minus PK and PP duties.

3. L fischer. I like this kid. He plays sound D. He looked comfortable, but didn't stand out. Had some PK duties - not sure if this is related to the group rotation or if he was assigned - the reason I stated this is on the next PK Ralph's unit was on the ice and his didn't get out.

4. Ralph. He has solid size, smooth skating. At points, he isn't sure if he should pinch or drop and he was caught once by this - stuck in no mans land. I think his natural instinct was to pinch, but then he took a milisecond to reconsider and that was enough time for the other team to get to the puck. He does solid passing (in the defensive zone to move the puck). Not sure he was as comfortable as some of the other players due to the speed of the game. Looked a little jittery, but not out of place if that makes sense.

I think these players for team USA based on numbers - these are the guys who were invited to camp but will not likely make the team. The other group is playing today against Canada. We will see if anyone plays both games.

Does this mean that L Fischer and Ralph will not be invited to the December camp? No, it just means they will have to do a lot during the college season to get on the roster.

L. Fischer will have a good chance to be on the 26 roster. Ralph will not due to DOB.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I was up at Plymouth last night for the Sweden USA game. I was able to watch Ralph, L Fischer, Lindstein, and Stenberg.

This is just one game observations so take it for what it is worth.

1. Lindstein - for a guy that has concerns about his offense - well he ran point on the PP. 1g 2a.
Moves the puck well. Didn't serve anytime at the PK - which surprised me. Solid all around Dman. He was captain and it showed. I think he is the best prospect we have.

2. Stenberg: Agitator. Constant yapping and getting under the USA players skin. Had a 5 min major due to his play (meaning the other guy got the 5 and a game). 2 assist. Great with the puck and solid without the puck. Been there and done that kind of player. Usually on the ice with Lindstein's pairing. Both teams seemed to go 4 full line changes and just go down the line, minus PK and PP duties.

3. L fischer. I like this kid. He plays sound D. He looked comfortable, but didn't stand out. Had some PK duties - not sure if this is related to the group rotation or if he was assigned - the reason I stated this is on the next PK Ralph's unit was on the ice and his didn't get out.

4. Ralph. He has solid size, smooth skating. At points, he isn't sure if he should pinch or drop and he was caught once by this - stuck in no mans land. I think his natural instinct was to pinch, but then he took a milisecond to reconsider and that was enough time for the other team to get to the puck. He does solid passing (in the defensive zone to move the puck). Not sure he was as comfortable as some of the other players due to the speed of the game. Looked a little jittery, but not out of place if that makes sense.

I think these players for team USA based on numbers - these are the guys who were invited to camp but will not likely make the team. The other group is playing today against Canada. We will see if anyone plays both games.

Does this mean that L Fischer and Ralph will not be invited to the December camp? No, it just means they will have to do a lot during the college season to get on the roster.

L. Fischer will have a good chance to be on the 26 roster. Ralph will not due to DOB.
The 2023 draft for the Blues is going to be (more than likely) the best draft we have ever seen. The sheer talent up at the top with Dvorsky, Lindstein, and Stenberg, getting Pekarcik in the 3rd, Susuyev (though a long shot) in the 7th, and a group of players in Burns, Fischer, and Stancl rounding out the other rounds will hopefully show how well the scouting staff is.

Seeing as L. Fischer played in major junior, it doesn't surprise me that he didn't look out of place. I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but maybe in the style of an Edmundson? If he didn't stand out playing the role he was playing, then it's probably a good thing.

I'm also not surprised Ralph was a bit shaky. He hasn't played against this type of competition often even if his prep school is one of the best in the country. The fact is, he just doesn't have the type of competition that the rest of the guys have. I think that's fine and he's super young, so I'm excited to see how he does in college. Seems like a smart kid and can hopefully have the type of development that Parayko had.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
The 2023 draft for the Blues is going to be (more than likely) the best draft we have ever seen. The sheer talent up at the top with Dvorsky, Lindstein, and Stenberg, getting Pekarcik in the 3rd, Susuyev (though a long shot) in the 7th, and a group of players in Burns, Fischer, and Stancl rounding out the other rounds will hopefully show how well the scouting staff is.

Seeing as L. Fischer played in major junior, it doesn't surprise me that he didn't look out of place. I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but maybe in the style of an Edmundson? If he didn't stand out playing the role he was playing, then it's probably a good thing.

I'm also not surprised Ralph was a bit shaky. He hasn't played against this type of competition often even if his prep school is one of the best in the country. The fact is, he just doesn't have the type of competition that the rest of the guys have. I think that's fine and he's super young, so I'm excited to see how he does in college. Seems like a smart kid and can hopefully have the type of development that Parayko had.

Lukas Fischer was thrust into a crazy situation at 17 years old where he was asked to step into a huge amount of minutes for Sarnia and he showed a ton of poise when he hit 28 minutes per game during the most demanding stretch of what was asked of him. I've seen that same poise when he's handling the puck or waiting for an outlet to open up and it's a demeanor pro's appreciate from a young defender.

Agree on Ralphie boy, this season will be a huge adjustment for him and we should be forgiving if he gets off to a slow D1 start.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00