Prospect Info: Blues 2024-2025 Prospect Thread

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015

I agree with his assessment. That Ralph pick is just a head-scratcher, but I think the next three picks were solid. I also agree with him calling Jiricek a top 4 D. I think he's definitely a top 4 defenseman for a long time, but where he ends up I still think is up in the air. I think most likely he is a solid #2 or a good #3, depending on development. I think the chances of him developing into only a #4 or, we wish, a #1 are both very low.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I will fully admit that I was not as tuned in with the 2024 draft as I should have been or would have liked to be. So I had no clue about any strength or talent of any pick past Jiricek. So walking into camp this year, I wanted to make an extra effort in taking notes and compiling thoughts for the Blues prospects. Here are my thoughts after the entirety of camp.

Antoine Dorion:
Can't say there is much that stuck out to me about Dorion. He is well behind on all tools and handles the puck like it's made of lead. I was really trying to look at him to find things that I could talk about but he was quite behind during most drills or games I saw. He does have strengths, they're just not the type that will do much unless his base skills develop. His cuts and ability to change direction were the main talents I saw from Dorion. He was poised and efficient when moving around the making movements along and off the wall. It gave him a separation ability where he could get a chance to survey the ice to establish plays, position, or passing lanes. The problem being that he doesn't have a well built frame to absorb impact, lacks speed or explosiveness in the skates, and can't move the puck with authority to take advantage of the lanes he's trying to create. I don't see much of a physical edge he can provide or do I see the talent to play an offensive role. His best shot of making pro would be to go the full energy-player route and utilize his skating ability the best he can along the walls. He looks like a 7th rounder and we should expect the typical outcome of a 7th rounder with Dorion. But he can still carve a career out if he maximizes the strengths he has for an energy role instead of training the weaker parts of his game to play a role he can't.

Prognosis: Career ECHLer/AHLer if he ever goes pro

Dalibor Dvorsky:
The problem with deciding to have these in alphabetical order is having the star of the show be at the top. Dvorsky’s skills are undeniable. His skating has improved fairly significantly I’d say. It’s stronger with more connection on the ice per stride. His East-West cuts were always a strength and the added efficiency to his skating should only assist. Other than that, he never had many other physical deficiencies. His shot is still high end. His patience and vision are high end. He keeps his head on a swivel in play and can keep the puck in tight thanks to his puck control. Suffice it to say, I think his talent is top tier. Is he ready now? I’m not convinced until I see how he handles attacking in coverage at the NHL level. I like his skills but I do need to see how he asserts himself. He has notable passivity in his play when his entry attempts fail or play isn’t converted. And I also want to see better utilization of teammates overall. I don’t want to extrapolate more from what I saw given the context of his play. But I see Dvorsky as a when not if. It’s when he makes the NHL and I’m more than willing to be patient. I hope the Blues are as well.

Prognosis: top-6 NHL forward

Adam Jecho:
I was keen on seeing Jecho live given the talk he had after being selected. I saw a few praising his power forward tendencies in conjunction with his simplified game. I left camp having an overall positive view of Jecho but I’m a bigger believer in others of reaching the NHL. What stood out about Jecho was his size and how he used it. It’s a dev camp, so he wasn’t going to be trucking kids left-and-right. But he knows how to use his reach and size to make simple plays that separate man from puck. He was like an octopus the way he could ensnare the puck mover along the boards. He’s got a fairly firm stick meaning he can distribute with authority once the puck is separated. However, his processing in real time is far too slow to make use of his physical advantage. He doesn’t have any remarkable traits regarding his skating and will consistently have his head down with no clear idea of where the puck is. Neither would be a problem if he could outthink others to make up for lack of separating skills. But he lumbers around the ice and simply follows the play. He’s at his best when the game itself slows down and the puck movement simplifies. I’m not discrediting Jecho as I think he can learn from experience to make up for lack of refined tools. He’s not going to be Will Smith, but he needs a predictive quality in order to be an NHL talent. He needs to put himself in positions to make use of his reach on either end of the ice. I think he has a formula for success if he can develop pattern recognition in real time. In truth, Jecho resembles a Brian Boyle the way he looks on the ice. I think that’s the best player for him to emulate if he wishes to be a pro.

Prognosis: AHL forward

Aleksantari Kaskimaki:
After having an impressive draft+2 season, Kaskimaki was someone I wanted to take beter notes on given how down I was of him the previous year. He always struck me as a player that wants to play a style of game that I didn't think he could pull off in higher levels. Well, he proved me wrong with his 10 goals in the Finnish league, so he can score at a professional level. This year, I can't say I was left feeling better about Kaskimaki, but I can better understand how he wants to use his offensive talents. Kasimaki loves playing within a 5 foot zone around the net. He always pushes plays to get him up-close with the goalie and open them up through puck movement. To his credit, he is good at reading the flow of play to dissect the defensive schematics of the other team. It should be said that all of his tools are good and refined enough after playing in LIIGA. He looked much more adept at attacking the inner slot to play where he wants. I can see how he finds success, and the more I think about it, I can see it working through higher levels of play. This doesn't mean he's a scorer as I see no real weapon he has to become such a thing. But, if he can utilize an aggressive Sobotka-like style to his game, I can see him having a similar impact on the game. I think he's smart enough to put himself in positions to succeed either offensively and defensively and has the tools to make use of his smarts at a high level. I still don't get the best feeling from Kaskimaki, however. I can't really put my finger on why, but I can't shake a feeling he's trying to play a style of game that he can't at higher pro-levels. I guess I question how he utilizes his line-mates as I see Kaskimaki not fully read the positioning of his teammates when he has the puck. I don't know truthfully. But I do give Kaskimaki full credit for showing he can succeed at higher levels of play at a fairly young age. And given what I saw at camp, I can start to see how he does it.

Prognosis: NHL Bottom-6 Forward/AHL Tweener

Ondrej Kos:
I'm going to go right and say it. I think Kos is my favorite Blue out of the 2024 draft outside the 1st rounders. I always love players that rely on intelligence and skating to play their game, whatever that may be. In Kos's case, it's definitely a defensive one as his puck skills in the offensive zone are sloppy at best. He lacks finesse with the puck and struggles to handle it under pressure. His offensive instincts are also too trigger happy. I don't mean that by saying he shoots a lot. He will consistently try to attack the puck regardless of circumstance and lose his position, is coverage, or both. But, all of these negative offensive qualities are what makes his defensive qualities shine. Firstly, I thought his skating, particularly his balance, was the best in camp. He must have incredible lower body strength as he had so much lateral strength but would transition his weight better than anyone there. He could get up to speed within three strides with or without the puck. It gave offending players fits as they could not shake him. Doubly so given that Kos makes plenty of good defensive reads. He positions himself well to hound puck carriers, where his aggressive style and skating are truly on display, or to intercept passes for quick breaks as the puck carrier. I love Kos's potential as a bottom-6 forward with good transition abilities a la Upshall back in the 2010s. He's not a speedster, but will have no problem getting himself room and providing havoc in either zone with aggressive forechecking/backchecking. I see NHL talent and I see a style of game that will translate in higher levels. If he can round out his passing game to make better use of transition potential, he could have a spot on the Blues in 3-4 years time.

Prognosis: NHL Bottom-6 forward

Thomas Mrsic:
Mrsic is a player that is easy to root for but will have quite a road ahead of him. Granted, this year's camp was full of giants, so Mrsic did look smaller than he might normally around players his age. Regardless, he will need to pick up the fork to handle the riggers of NHL hockey. He looked like the 2nd smallest player on the ice and it really affected his game when pressured during the scrimmages. If Mrsic doesn't have room, he's fairly easy to neutralize without an explosive step to keep proper gap control. Yet, if Mrsic develops strength and size, he has a good mix of offensive tools. He lacks explosiveness. But he has a poised glide that he uses to make efficient cuts and turns. He couples this with his above average release to get the puck on net with regularity. He will manipulate his center of balance to help with cuts and to generate better touque on his stick while in motion (though I think making himself smaller is the last thing that Mrsic should want to do). He has a good sense of how to put himself in scoring areas and provide a dangerous attack despite his size. The only questions I have will be how he processes the game at high speeds, as he had a lot deer-in-headlights moments with the puck on his stick, and if he can develop a countermeasure for physical games, whether that's through bulking or adding acceleration.

Prognosis: Potential top-6 AHL scorer

Juraj Pekarcik:
Ah, probably my favorite prospect the Blues have simply because of entertainment value. I was high on Pekarcik after watching him last year in camp. He was skilled, aggressive, and chaotic with pretty much everything he did. This year, you can tell how much he's cleaned up is physical traits. He's a lot firmer on pucks, he's less prone to sporadic falling, he's more efficient on transition and puck carrying, and he's more patient with plays. I've always liked his game of using the boards to open up lanes and all of the refinement of his tools seem to point to him wanting to be this kind of player. Don't get me wrong, he's still a long way off. He has talent and skill but was always inconsistent, or down right clumsy, in execution. He's a lot less clumsy. He's still lacking a lot of efficiency right now. I want him to find that balance of knowing when to attack and when to let the play develop on his own. I have no doubt his tools will be better honed and I don't see anything glaringly absent to prevent him from being an NHLer in some capacity. I do see a player that can be held back if he can not position himself, literally, in the right area for the right occasion. He's not Petteri Lindbohm by putting himself actively out of position to make a hit or play. He's simply attacking the puck with such carelessness that it will bite him in the future when players become bigger, faster, and smarter. I love what Pekarcik can become, just pragmatic on the range of outcomes.

Prognosis: Bottom-6 NHL forward

Dylan Peterson:
I think this section, and the next, are going to be very short descriptions. Peterson has been at these camps long enough. He's big, he's mobile, he has a rocket of a shot, and can't process the game well enough to make use of his skills. He's always been that way and he has not done anything differently, thus far, to make me think otherwise. The only potentially unique point I might be able to add is how I question Peterson's ability to move with the puck. Though, I fail to see how that criticism will mean much next to his overall issue of mentally processing the game. I've seen Peterson enough where I'm confident in saying that I don't see an NHL future with him. His best bet is to be a Toropchenko type and become an aggressive, forechecking bottom-6 player. I have to add that I liked Toropchenko quite a bit more in his development, so I doubt Peterson is going to do any better. But, stranger things have happened. He has an NHL body with legitimate tools. I have said before how I view Peterson as needing his Zuccarello to utilize his Kreider profile. If Peterson finds a player that can use him as a compliment, then we can start talking about the possibility of Peterson as a Blue.

Prognosis: AHL winger

Simon Robertsson:
Robertsson is in a similar boat to Peterson as both have been at these camps for many years and I'm running out of things to say for either. I didn't see any discernible difference from this year's Robertson and last year's. Don't that that as a jab. Robertson looked very polished last year, something I attribute to the professional training. I guess is should be expected that he wouldn't make any major improvements in any one area of his game. But, even if Robertson didn't have any MAJOR are of concern, I would still like to see him develop something to stand out. His shot is firm and accurate but has never yielded the results it should because of the release being too long or him not opening lanes up for himself. I would have wanted to see either of these areas improved whether that meant more explosive skating for separation, better use of linemates, better positioning, a better developed one-timer, etc. Anything would have shown me a better developed Robertson or a more dangerous Robertson. Instead, Robertson is now a player that lacks an identity and I see no weapon that he rely upon consistently. He's not bad in anything, mind you, but players who succeed that way are heavily reliant on processing the game to combat players with elite skills/talents. I have higher hopes that Robertson will be a Blue as opposed to someone like Peterson simply because Robertson can process the game. I wouldn't put his chances that high. But if he can an identity in his game or better develop a weapon (shot), then an okay 3rd liner could be in his future.

Prognosis: AHL winger Or Europe bound

Jimmy Snuggerud:
I think we all know who Snuggerud is and what he can do with the puck. None of his board skills and his release have diminished in quality. His skating is much more sound on the fundamental level as his leg strength is noticeably better. He hasn’t developed better speed but has developed better cuts. His handling is more relaxed and keeps his head up much more. Overall, he’s improved in all the physical aspects I look for, so A+ there. I still view Snuggerud in that Buchnevich mold as he can make a good player greater when he distributes the puck along the walls. He plays it differently than a Schwartz as Schwartz liked the puck North-South while Snuggerud likes it East-West. But I’d say the impact of play should be identical in keeping pressure going. My only concern is if he wants to play as “the guy” when I think his toolset and style don’t cater to that. Granted, I shouldn’t write off that possibility of him developing a game like that or even that his style couldn’t succeed the way I think those top wingers in the NHL have done. I’m simply more enamored with the success I’ve seen from him when he works to make everyone around him better.

Prognosis: Top-6 NHL winger

Otto Stenberg:
All eyes were on Snuggie and Dvorsky for the forward core and Lindstein was getting all of the praises on defense. But Stenberg might have had the best camp from any forward I could see. His professional experience really shines compared to the talent around him and I’m surprised he’s not getting more talk in general. All of his skills are average or above as far as I could tell. Nothing elite or ++, but his shot his form with a deceptive release. His skating is effective and strong albeit not graceful. His ability to handle the puck at top speed was a great strength even if he’s not attempting any wizardry with it. He’s, simply, a hard working player that’s forgoing excitement for efficacy. What made him shine was how he processed the ice and utilized his vision. His head is on a swivel 24/7 while on the ice, whether with or without the puck. He’s reading the ice in any zone for the quickest outlet to jumpstart an offensive rush, move the puck in non-dangerous areas, or to continue play. The teams were lopsided in Stenberg’s favor, but it didn’t surprise me in the least to see Stenberg as the player with the puck most often. He had a beautiful give-and-go with Snuggerud one play that would have been a sure fire goal if Snuggerud would have read the ice as fast as Stenberg had. He’s still a Steen clone as far as I’m concerned and this year was more confirmation to my initial thought. I think his point totals will be limited simply because his game is built on simplicity as opposed to creativity. Think a consistent 50-60 point player (if it helps, 2010s era) is Stenberg’s future with little hope of hitting a PPG average in any given year. He’s smart, effective, and provides a stability on the forward core that should compliment any line he’s on.

Prognosis: middle-6 winger that should go up and down a lineup

Nikita Susuyev:
I’m a little apprehensive to write for Susuyev due to fear of raining on others’ parades. Susuyev was a mystery to me as I watched any videos prior to seeing him in camp. I really wanted to take my time on evaluating and weighing what I saw. After a while, the best conclusion I came up with was Susuyev has offensive tools but is a long way from being ready. The two weapons Susuyev relies on the most are his edges and eye for the puck. He has effortless glides and turns to help keep his distance from opposing players. His lower body strength is deceptively strong as he could find separation with quick cuts and agile movements. He could also attack puck carriers with consistently by bridging gaps with ease. It helps when, as I said earlier, he has a strong sense of where the puck is or where it will go. He never takes his eye off the puck once the game gets started. But this is ultimately what leads to my biggest concern for Susuyev as I seriously question his vision in tight or under pressure. Susuyev keeps his head down all of the time. There are plenty of moments where he would lose possession immediately after retrieving the puck because he would skate himself into coverage. The only times he found success consistently in the offensive zone came from him taking advantage of already present space. Susuyev doesn’t lack skill, but he also doesn’t have enough of it to rely on space being made for him. His shot isn’t particularly dangerous and his puck handling is choppy/robotic. He doesn’t have many defensive strengths from what I could gather. He can process the game well if he is given room to breathe but is prone to panic when not. I don’t have a good sense on what Susuyev can be at the top level as of now and I especially don’t have a good sense of he’s like on NA ice. If he can learn from Stenberg and Dvorsky about keeping his head up while maintaining proper gap control, then I would be more comfortable about Susuyev. As of now, I see a player with tangible talent but some obvious, detrimental flaws.

Prognosis: AHL top-6 winger

Defensemen:

Michael Buchinger:
I’ve seen quite a bit about Buchinger over the last few years. I’ve always had a hope that Buchinger could be a Vince Dunn-like defenseman. But every year, I’m left losing that hope. This year is no different as Buchinger still gives me concern that he can handle the riggers of pro hockey. His offensive strengths are similar to Dunn’s as both love moving with the puck and providing crisp, accurate passes in lanes they like developing through the slot. The difference is that Dunn could keep himself separated from the pack with his superb agility. I don’t see anything in Buchinger’s game that allows him to do something similar. He certainly doesn’t have Dunn’s skating. Without something that allows Buchinger to separate himself consistently, I’m dubious of his chances of success. Still, he has offensive tools that can work. Proper gap control or proper positioning could be enough to give Buchinger an edge. Only time will tell.

Prognosis: Top-4 AHL defender

Quinn Burns:
I genuinely don’t have much to say about Burns. I watched him and tried taking notes whenever I could. But I just couldn’t think of much to write about. He was never behind in any one area. But he never had anything I could really direct as a viable weapon in higher levels or play. He had the Nate Schmidt quality of being good enough in a lot of areas so as to provide a steady, consistent presence. Consistency is a strength in of itself, so I can concede that Burns has potential enough. He moves well enough that I don’t see his skating ever being a problem even if it’s not a strength. His reads are simple and usually correct when distributing the puck in all three zones. I want to see his puck handling improve, especially at speed. He’s not ever going to be an offensive player but he has enough defensive tools to make it as a Pro player. But, and this might seem unfair, he’s only ever going to be as effective as who he’s playing with. Burns’ not as much a compliment as much as a coping mechanism. Pair Burns with a roaming defender that needs a safety blanket and you have a valuable player. Pair Burns with a player that can play well enough to do a lot of things, if not most things, well and now Burns is out of a job. Again, him not having some defining weapon is why I struggle to think of him as a compliment. Dunn and Parayko both patrol and attack the offensive zone differently. But both could maintain possession through the neutral zone and both never needed someone to move the puck for them. They could utilize the other without relying on the other. Granted, he’s better than a Mayich and definitely has a higher chance of being a full time player. My point is that Burns strikes me as a player that won’t play up a lineup unless in specific circumstances. Could those circumstances open for him on the Blues? Absolutely! But I’m not holding my breath for Burns until I see a tangible weapon.

Prognosis: bottom pairing pro (AHL/NHL tweener)

Paul Fischer:
So Fischer might be the most confounding player on this list as he clearly had a good season for Notre Dame. But when I watch him do anything, it seems like it’s a major struggle. His skating isn’t efficient, I don’t like how he handles the puck, his shot never seems like a threat, and his vision always seems to lag behind the play. This is the second camp I’ve seen of him and I can’t tell you any improvement I saw in drills or play. Maybe it’s rust or maybe it’s bad luck, but Fischer is a player I’m going to have to watch more live to really find his value. In terms of where he is compared to the field, I’d put him pretty low. The one area I thought I excelled in was his off the puck movements. He could position himself well in passing or shooting lanes when the flow of play was away from him. He shows good processing of play away from the action. Though, I’m not impressed that his game was best when he wasn’t the main, or close to the, center of attention. Like I said, I’ll have to watch his in game performance this year to fully understand what he has. Hopefully it’s more than what I’ve seen in camp.

Prognosis: bottom-4 AHL player

Lukas Fischer:
This camp was never going to be the camp Fischer needed to impress. I’m prefacing everything I say with that because I don’t want to come off overly negative with this analysis. When I viewed Fischer, he struck me as someone who is still figuring out his own body. His frame is wonderful and projectable. But watching him make quick decisions with and without the puck was comical at stages. He either couldn’t handle the puck off passes, in speed, or while patrolling the blue line. His shot was firm but would either need too much space to utilize or would miss the net. He could use his reach and skating to cut off plays/players well enough as long as the player wasn’t paying attention or refused to battle for pucks. In other words, he’s really raw. Makes sense for a 17 year old who missed a good chunk of the season. The one area I was consistently impressed was his lateral movement. He uses his long stride to push himself away quickly from attacking players. He needs to develop his straight line speed to maintain his separation. However, it’s a tool that I think will serve him well in transition and in the offensive zone if he can better polish his other tools. I should finish by saying that I have hope in Fischer despite how raw he looks. A lot of the same clumsy issues were what I saw in Pekarcik. I never questioned Fischer’s ability to read plays and pt himself in good positions. He’s a case of having his body catch up to his head. Still, given what I saw, he’s got a lot of ground to make up. I like what I envision, and for a first camp, I think that’s a fine place to be.

Prognosis: No clue given how raw his tools were

Arseni Koromyslov:
This was the first chance I got so see Koromyslov live. I’ve been earnestly waiting to see his strengths as he always seemed like a player that flew under the radar as a prospect a la Mikkola, so I wanted to know if those feelings were founded. When I saw him during drills, I was left unimpressed. He seemed to lack the physical skills I’d look for minus the size. Nothing bad but nothing outstanding, much like Burns. I would put Koromyslov’s passing ability higher, but other than that, similar efficacy/ability during drills and exercises. Where Koromyslov started to stand out was in game. It’s a scrimmage, so take everything with a grain of salt. But his instincts are quite good and I like his ability to read the ice. He can cut off passing lanes regularly and eliminate options for attacking players on the defensive side. He makes accurate passes to start transition and establish cycles in the offensive zone. He will usually make the right call of when to attack and when to pull back. In short, he plays intelligently and assertively. Frankly, this could be the exact thing Burns needs to be as I have more faith in Koromyslov carving a role than Burns. If Burns could read the ice the way Koromyslov can, then a five man unit would have to defend against another five man unit as opposed to a four man + 1 unit. I’m not saying that Koromyslov has significantly more offensive potential than Burns (I don’t see much that separates them honestly). But Koromyslov gives room for others to work much better than what I see out of Burns and, thus, see Koromyslov as a more versatile compliment. Though, i could try to split hairs as much as I want. The same complaint for Burns can apply to Koromyslov. I want to see a weapon Koromyslov can rely on. Smarts will only get you so far if you lack such a weapon.

Prognosis: Same as Burns

Theo Lindstein:
Lindstein had a hell of a camp. He excelled in passing, movement with the puck, his utilization of his edges, and his release. It seemed like he aced every drill with ease. I was impressed with what I saw last year. But it wasn’t close to this level of excitement I felt for Lindstein as a defenseman. In game, he would take over with his ability to read play and utilize his tools in conjunction with his vision. He would routinely break the ankles of defending players with his tight turning radius and quick puck movement (Mrsic, in particular, might never walk again after covering Lindstein). He had some very high end tools that should get him to the NHL. The only issue is what level of defenseman he can be. I genuinely think he has all of the tools, both physically and mentally, to be a #1 defenseman. The problem is if he can play an aggressive enough style to become that. Take my previous sentence on him breaking the ankles of defenders. He makes a great lane for himself that he can use for a scoring opportunity. He could skate to the slot or he could throw a pass in it for a great scoring chance. Instead, he passes the puck back to the top of the zone to continue the cycle. He would routinely do something similar where he would forgo the selfish play to take a more conservative approach. This is isn’t a wrong or bad approach. Lindstein will usually make the correct choice and it’s not like continuing the cycle won’t lead to other chances. But for a player with his skills package, it’s a tad frustrating not seeing him dissect defensive schemes for prime scoring chances. I don’t see anyone at camp with the same potential Lindstein shows and it seems like the only thing limiting him is how he plays. If he can develop a more killer instinct, the sky is the limit with Lindstein. But until he lets the sky be what limits him, I think he might frustrate just as much as will impress.

Prognosis: Top-4 defenseman with chance for top pairing

Mathew Mayich:
The good news on Mayich is that he looks significantly better than he did last year. His movement if much better and he no longer treats the puck like a hand grenade. His passes were much more crisp and accurate than what I saw last year. He’s more consistent with the puck as well as he was prone to mistakes with moving the puck and moving with the puck. The bad news is that he’s never going to be NHL player based on his puck skills. These camps are not going to cater to players like Mayich, who thrives with physicality. These camps show off skill and play while trying not to hurt others. Mayich is a big body who will make his money through hits and aggression. If he doesn’t have that, then he’s not going to go far despite his improvement. None of his talents are anything to write about. He lacks accuracy on his shot, his mobility with the puck is below average, and his general reads in the offensive zone are weak. His defensive reads are average as he can intercept plays pretty well. It gives me hope his physicality could be used well in a defensive role a la Edmundson if things go well. But, Edmundson was a better player overall than Mayich, so if Mayich wants that kind of life, he’ll need to show that he can play the game with or without his physical edge. He’s a 6th rounder for a reason. But for what it’s worth, he’s made improvements. Thats all anyone can ask from him at this time.

Prognosis: Bottom Pairing AHL defenseman

Will McIsaac:
McIsaac is a player I couldn’t make out very well. See, his physical talents were up there with the best in camp. But as soon as he started playing the scrimmages, it’s like someone put him on 75% speed. I love his mobility. It’s long and fluid so he gets to top speed efficiently. He has a fairly high top speed as well. But he stops on a dime, which I find impressive given how long his legs are. He reminds me a lot like Mikkola when he starts moving. Unlike Mikkola, McIsaac handles the puck well. He handles it in tight with his head up and can quickly move it to teammates in transition. His shot isn’t special, but it’s quick off the stick when performing a snap shot or wrist shot. Combine it with his movement and he should provide some offense. However, that’s my main gripe. He SHOULD provide offense. The problem is how slow he is on the ice when it’s game time. He takes too long to decide what to do at any given moment. He can pick up the puck with speed only to hesitate, or over-analyze, or hold on to the puck too long, etc. I can’t really figure out why his game looks so slow. I can’t say he’s not a smart player as I see him make good decisions when given space. I can’t say he’s panic filled player as he plays with poise when under pressure. But for whatever reason, he’ll lose the puck because he doesn’t make any decision quick enough. I’m going to take the optimistic approach and say it’s a matter of trusting in his instincts.

Colin Ralph:
The big question mark surrounding Ralph was always if he was worth his spot in the draft. After watching him live, I have better faith he has NHL potential. I will still look at him as a reach, but that could be said for Lukas Fischer as well personally. Ralph has underrated movement ability. He’s similar to Paul Fischer in that their off the puck movement is good. Ralph is a better skater overall than Fischer but I’d say their ability to position is about the same. Ralph shows a lot of engagement in play and utilizes his reach exponentially well. He reminds me a lot of Dumoulin the way he can play calmly in motion. Ralph had that “clumsy” quality I mentioned for Pekarcik and Lukas Fischer. I never questioned what he was doing or why he did it despite the result not going the way he wants. The big area of concern is when he tries to move the puck with possession. He keeps the puck at arms length and consistently loses it when trying to establish transition. He needs to focus on his puck handling if he wishes to become a more one-dimensional defenseman. I’m not too concerned for his lacking offensive tools (passing, shooting, creativity) as Ralph is destined for a shutdown role. He will need these tools to develop to a passable level if he wants to be an NHL talent. But his defined role will have to come from smart, efficient defensive play. I think he had the tools to do that if he can work on his puck skills. Given he’ll go the college route, I think he has the time to do that. But back to my initial question. I think he is worth a 2nd round pick after watching him. He’s further along in his development than people give him credit for. He’s just not an exciting prospect. He’s also a prospect the Blues have a lot of. So much in fact that I would rather the Blues have gone for a forward in his spot. Ralph has the toolset to be an NHL talent, but so does Kessel who had a better offensive skillset in conjunction with his defensive game. Long story short, Ralph will take time to become a defensive player that relies on reach and positioning. Thats a useful outcome for any team. It’s just not one that fans get excited for.

Prognosis: bottom pairing AHL defenseman

I know there are other prospects I didn’t write anything about and I can answer questions on them if you would like. This is my 8th or so camp and I was more impressed with this year than I can remember in any previous year. Even if the prognoses seem harsh to an extent, be aware that I do see talent in many of these guys. It’s simply a matter of how difficult making the NHL is even amongst the talented. I know this analysis is very late and I do apologize for that. Traveling immediately after camp will do that. But please, give me your thoughts and questions!

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I will fully admit that I was not as tuned in with the 2024 draft as I should have been or would have liked to be. So I had no clue about any strength or talent of any pick past Jiricek. So walking into camp this year, I wanted to make an extra effort in taking notes and compiling thoughts for the Blues prospects. Here are my thoughts after the entirety of camp.

Antoine Dorion:
Can't say there is much that stuck out to me about Dorion. He is well behind on all tools and handles the puck like it's made of lead. I was really trying to look at him to find things that I could talk about but he was quite behind during most drills or games I saw. He does have strengths, they're just not the type that will do much unless his base skills develop. His cuts and ability to change direction were the main talents I saw from Dorion. He was poised and efficient when moving around the making movements along and off the wall. It gave him a separation ability where he could get a chance to survey the ice to establish plays, position, or passing lanes. The problem being that he doesn't have a well built frame to absorb impact, lacks speed or explosiveness in the skates, and can't move the puck with authority to take advantage of the lanes he's trying to create. I don't see much of a physical edge he can provide or do I see the talent to play an offensive role. His best shot of making pro would be to go the full energy-player route and utilize his skating ability the best he can along the walls. He looks like a 7th rounder and we should expect the typical outcome of a 7th rounder with Dorion. But he can still carve a career out if he maximizes the strengths he has for an energy role instead of training the weaker parts of his game to play a role he can't.

Dalibor Dvorsky:
The problem with deciding to have these in alphabetical order is having the star of the show be at the top. Dvorsky’s skills are undeniable. His skating has improved fairly significantly I’d say. It’s stronger with more connection on the ice per stride. His East-West cuts were always a strength and the added efficiency to his skating should only assist. Other than that, he never had many other physical deficiencies. His shot is still high end. His patience and vision are high end. He keeps his head on a swivel in play and can keep the puck in tight thanks to his puck control. Suffice it to say, I think his talent is top tier. Is he ready now? I’m not convinced until I see how he handles attacking in coverage at the NHL level. I like his skills but I do need to see how he asserts himself. He has notable passivity in his play when his entry attempts fail or play isn’t converted. And I also want to see better utilization of teammates overall. I don’t want to extrapolate more from what I saw given the context of his play. But I see Dvorsky as a when not if. It’s when he makes the NHL and I’m more than willing to be patient. I hope the Blues are as well.

Adam Jecho:
I was keen on seeing Jecho live given the talk he had after being selected. I saw a few praising his power forward tendencies in conjunction with his simplified game. I left camp having an overall positive view of Jecho but I’m a bigger believer in others of reaching the NHL. What stood out about Jecho was his size and how he used it. It’s a dev camp, so he wasn’t going to be trucking kids left-and-right. But he knows how to use his reach and size to make simple plays that separate man from puck. He was like an octopus the way he could ensnare the puck mover along the boards. He’s got a fairly firm stick meaning he can distribute with authority once the puck is separated. However, his processing in real time is far too slow to make use of his physical advantage. He doesn’t have any remarkable traits regarding his skating and will consistently have his head down with no clear idea of where the puck is. Neither would be a problem if he could outthink others to make up for lack of separating skills. But he lumbers around the ice and simply follows the play. He’s at his best when the game itself slows down and the puck movement simplifies. I’m not discrediting Jecho as I think he can learn from experience to make up for lack of refined tools. He’s not going to be Will Smith, but he needs a predictive quality in order to be an NHL talent. He needs to put himself in positions to make use of his reach on either end of the ice. I think he has a formula for success if he can develop pattern recognition in real time. In truth, Jecho resembles a Brian Boyle the way he looks on the ice. I think that’s the best player for him to emulate if he wishes to be a pro.

Aleksantari Kaskimaki:
After having an impressive draft+2 season, Kaskimaki was someone I wanted to take beter notes on given how down I was of him the previous year. He always struck me as a player that wants to play a style of game that I didn't think he could pull off in higher levels. Well, he proved me wrong with his 10 goals in the Finnish league, so he can score at a professional level. This year, I can't say I was left feeling better about Kaskimaki, but I can better understand how he wants to use his offensive talents. Kasimaki loves playing within a 5 foot zone around the net. He always pushes plays to get him up-close with the goalie and open them up through puck movement. To his credit, he is good at reading the flow of play to dissect the defensive schematics of the other team. It should be said that all of his tools are good and refined enough after playing in LIIGA. He looked much more adept at attacking the inner slot to play where he wants. I can see how he finds success, and the more I think about it, I can see it working through higher levels of play. This doesn't mean he's a scorer as I see no real weapon he has to become such a thing. But, if he can utilize an aggressive Sobotka-like style to his game, I can see him having a similar impact on the game. I think he's smart enough to put himself in positions to succeed either offensively and defensively and has the tools to make use of his smarts at a high level. I still don't get the best feeling from Kaskimaki, however. I can't really put my finger on why, but I can't shake a feeling he's trying to play a style of game that he can't at higher pro-levels. I guess I question how he utilizes his line-mates as I see Kaskimaki not fully read the positioning of his teammates when he has the puck. I don't know truthfully. But I do give Kaskimaki full credit for showing he can succeed at higher levels of play at a fairly young age. And given what I saw at camp, I can start to see how he does it.

Ondrej Kos:
I'm going to go right and say it. I think Kos is my favorite Blue out of the 2024 draft outside the 1st rounders. I always love players that rely on intelligence and skating to play their game, whatever that may be. In Kos's case, it's definitely a defensive one as his puck skills in the offensive zone are sloppy at best. He lacks finesse with the puck and struggles to handle it under pressure. His offensive instincts are also too trigger happy. I don't mean that by saying he shoots a lot. He will consistently try to attack the puck regardless of circumstance and lose his position, is coverage, or both. But, all of these negative offensive qualities are what makes his defensive qualities shine. Firstly, I thought his skating, particularly his balance, was the best in camp. He must have incredible lower body strength as he had so much lateral strength but would transition his weight better than anyone there. He could get up to speed within three strides with or without the puck. It gave offending players fits as they could not shake him. Doubly so given that Kos makes plenty of good defensive reads. He positions himself well to hound puck carriers, where his aggressive style and skating are truly on display, or to intercept passes for quick breaks as the puck carrier. I love Kos's potential as a bottom-6 forward with good transition abilities a la Upshall back in the 2010s. He's not a speedster, but will have no problem getting himself room and providing havoc in either zone with aggressive forechecking/backchecking. I see NHL talent and I see a style of game that will translate in higher levels. If he can round out his passing game to make better use of transition potential, he could have a spot on the Blues in 3-4 years time.

Thomas Mrsic:
Mrsic is a player that is easy to root for but will have quite a road ahead of him. Granted, this year's camp was full of giants, so Mrsic did look smaller than he might normally around players his age. Regardless, he will need to pick up the fork to handle the riggers of NHL hockey. He looked like the 2nd smallest player on the ice and it really affected his game when pressured during the scrimmages. If Mrsic doesn't have room, he's fairly easy to neutralize without an explosive step to keep proper gap control. Yet, if Mrsic develops strength and size, he has a good mix of offensive tools. He lacks explosiveness. But he has a poised glide that he uses to make efficient cuts and turns. He couples this with his above average release to get the puck on net with regularity. He will manipulate his center of balance to help with cuts and to generate better touque on his stick while in motion (though I think making himself smaller is the last thing that Mrsic should want to do). He has a good sense of how to put himself in scoring areas and provide a dangerous attack despite his size. The only questions I have will be how he processes the game at high speeds, as he had a lot deer-in-headlights moments with the puck on his stick, and if he can develop a countermeasure for physical games, whether that's through bulking or adding acceleration.

Juraj Pekarcik:
Ah, probably my favorite prospect the Blues have simply because of entertainment value. I was high on Pekarcik after watching him last year in camp. He was skilled, aggressive, and chaotic with pretty much everything he did. This year, you can tell how much he's cleaned up is physical traits. He's a lot firmer on pucks, he's less prone to sporadic falling, he's more efficient on transition and puck carrying, and he's more patient with plays. I've always liked his game of using the boards to open up lanes and all of the refinement of his tools seem to point to him wanting to be this kind of player. Don't get me wrong, he's still a long way off. He has talent and skill but was always inconsistent, or down right clumsy, in execution. He's a lot less clumsy. He's still lacking a lot of efficiency right now. I want him to find that balance of knowing when to attack and when to let the play develop on his own. I have no doubt his tools will be better honed and I don't see anything glaringly absent to prevent him from being an NHLer in some capacity. I do see a player that can be held back if he can not position himself, literally, in the right area for the right occasion. He's not Petteri Lindbohm by putting himself actively out of position to make a hit or play. He's simply attacking the puck with such carelessness that it will bite him in the future when players become bigger, faster, and smarter. I love what Pekarcik can become, just pragmatic on the range of outcomes.

Dylan Peterson:
I think this section, and the next, are going to be very short descriptions. Peterson has been at these camps long enough. He's big, he's mobile, he has a rocket of a shot, and can't process the game well enough to make use of his skills. He's always been that way and he has not done anything differently, thus far, to make me think otherwise. The only potentially unique point I might be able to add is how I question Peterson's ability to move with the puck. Though, I fail to see how that criticism will mean much next to his overall issue of mentally processing the game. I've seen Peterson enough where I'm confident in saying that I don't see an NHL future with him. His best bet is to be a Toropchenko type and become an aggressive, forechecking bottom-6 player. I have to add that I liked Toropchenko quite a bit more in his development, so I doubt Peterson is going to do any better. But, stranger things have happened. He has an NHL body with legitimate tools. I have said before how I view Peterson as needing his Zuccarello to utilize his Kreider profile. If Peterson finds a player that can use him as a compliment, then we can start talking about the possibility of Peterson as a Blue.

Simon Robertsson:
Robertsson is in a similar boat to Peterson as both have been at these camps for many years and I'm running out of things to say for either. I didn't see any discernible difference from this year's Robertson and last year's. Don't that that as a jab. Robertson looked very polished last year, something I attribute to the professional training. I guess is should be expected that he wouldn't make any major improvements in any one area of his game. But, even if Robertson didn't have any MAJOR are of concern, I would still like to see him develop something to stand out. His shot is firm and accurate but has never yielded the results it should because of the release being too long or him not opening lanes up for himself. I would have wanted to see either of these areas improved whether that meant more explosive skating for separation, better use of linemates, better positioning, a better developed one-timer, etc. Anything would have shown me a better developed Robertson or a more dangerous Robertson. Instead, Robertson is now a player that lacks an identity and I see no weapon that he rely upon consistently. He's not bad in anything, mind you, but players who succeed that way are heavily reliant on processing the game to combat players with elite skills/talents. I have higher hopes that Robertson will be a Blue as opposed to someone like Peterson simply because Robertson can process the game. I wouldn't put his chances that high. But if he can an identity in his game or better develop a weapon (shot), then an okay 3rd liner could be in his future.

Jimmy Snuggerud:
I think we all know who Snuggerud is and what he can do with the puck. None of his board skills and his release have diminished in quality. His skating is much more sound on the fundamental level as his leg strength is noticeably better. He hasn’t developed better speed but has developed better cuts. His handling is more relaxed and keeps his head up much more. Overall, he’s improved in all the physical aspects I look for, so A+ there. I still view Snuggerud in that Buchnevich mold as he can make a good player greater when he distributes the puck along the walls. He plays it differently than a Schwartz as Schwartz liked the puck North-South while Snuggerud likes it East-West. But I’d say the impact of play should be identical in keeping pressure going. My only concern is if he wants to play as “the guy” when I think his toolset and style don’t cater to that. Granted, I shouldn’t write off that possibility of him developing a game like that or even that his style couldn’t succeed the way I think those top wingers in the NHL have done. I’m simply more enamored with the success I’ve seen from him when he works to make everyone around him better.

Otto Stenberg:
All eyes were on Snuggie and Dvorsky for the forward core and Lindstein was getting all of the praises on defense. But Stenberg might have had the best camp from any forward I could see. His professional experience really shines compared to the talent around him and I’m surprised he’s not getting more talk in general. All of his skills are average or above as far as I could tell. Nothing elite or ++, but his shot his form with a deceptive release. His skating is effective and strong albeit not graceful. His ability to handle the puck at top speed was a great strength even if he’s not attempting any wizardry with it. He’s, simply, a hard working player that’s forgoing excitement for efficacy. What made him shine was how he processed the ice and utilized his vision. His head is on a swivel 24/7 while on the ice, whether with or without the puck. He’s reading the ice in any zone for the quickest outlet to jumpstart an offensive rush, move the puck in non-dangerous areas, or to continue play. The teams were lopsided in Stenberg’s favor, but it didn’t surprise me in the least to see Stenberg as the player with the puck most often. He had a beautiful give-and-go with Snuggerud one play that would have been a sure fire goal if Snuggerud would have read the ice as fast as Stenberg had. He’s still a Steen clone as far as I’m concerned and this year was more confirmation to my initial thought. I think his point totals will be limited simply because his game is built on simplicity as opposed to creativity. Think a consistent 50-60 point player (if it helps, 2010s era) is Stenberg’s future with little hope of hitting a PPG average in any given year. He’s smart, effective, and provides a stability on the forward core that should compliment any line he’s on.

Nikita Susuyev:
I’m a little apprehensive to write for Susuyev due to fear of raining on others’ parades. Susuyev was a mystery to me as I watched any videos prior to seeing him in camp. I really wanted to take my time on evaluating and weighing what I saw. After a while, the best conclusion I came up with was Susuyev has offensive tools but is a long way from being ready. The two weapons Susuyev relies on the most are his edges and eye for the puck. He has effortless glides and turns to help keep his distance from opposing players. His lower body strength is deceptively strong as he could find separation with quick cuts and agile movements. He could also attack puck carriers with consistently by bridging gaps with ease. It helps when, as I said earlier, he has a strong sense of where the puck is or where it will go. He never takes his eye off the puck once the game gets started. But this is ultimately what leads to my biggest concern for Susuyev as I seriously question his vision in tight or under pressure. Susuyev keeps his head down all of the time. There are plenty of moments where he would lose possession immediately after retrieving the puck because he would skate himself into coverage. The only times he found success consistently in the offensive zone came from him taking advantage of already present space. Susuyev doesn’t lack skill, but he also doesn’t have enough of it to rely on space being made for him. His shot isn’t particularly dangerous and his puck handling is choppy/robotic. He doesn’t have many defensive strengths from what I could gather. He can process the game well if he is given room to breathe but is prone to panic when not. I don’t have a good sense on what Susuyev can be at the top level as of now and I especially don’t have a good sense of he’s like on NA ice. If he can learn from Stenberg and Dvorsky about keeping his head up while maintaining proper gap control, then I would be more comfortable about Susuyev. As of now, I see a player with tangible talent but some obvious, detrimental flaws.

Defensemen:

Michael Buchinger:
I’ve seen quite a bit about Buchinger over the last few years. I’ve always had a hope that Buchinger could be a Vince Dunn-like defenseman. But every year, I’m left losing that hope. This year is no different as Buchinger still gives me concern that he can handle the riggers of pro hockey. His offensive strengths are similar to Dunn’s as both love moving with the puck and providing crisp, accurate passes in lanes they like developing through the slot. The difference is that Dunn could keep himself separated from the pack with his superb agility. I don’t see anything in Buchinger’s game that allows him to do something similar. He certainly doesn’t have Dunn’s skating. Without something that allows Buchinger to separate himself consistently, I’m dubious of his chances of success. Still, he has offensive tools that can work. Proper gap control or proper positioning could be enough to give Buchinger an edge. Only time will tell.

Quinn Burns:
I genuinely don’t have much to say about Burns. I watched him and tried taking notes whenever I could. But I just couldn’t think of much to write about. He was never behind in any one area. But he never had anything I could really direct as a viable weapon in higher levels or play. He had the Nate Schmidt quality of being good enough in a lot of areas so as to provide a steady, consistent presence. Consistency is a strength in of itself, so I can concede that Burns has potential enough. He moves well enough that I don’t see his skating ever being a problem even if it’s not a strength. His reads are simple and usually correct when distributing the puck in all three zones. I want to see his puck handling improve, especially at speed. He’s not ever going to be an offensive player but he has enough defensive tools to make it as a Pro player. But, and this might seem unfair, he’s only ever going to be as effective as who he’s playing with. Burns’ not as much a compliment as much as a coping mechanism. Pair Burns with a roaming defender that needs a safety blanket and you have a valuable player. Pair Burns with a player that can play well enough to do a lot of things, if not most things, well and now Burns is out of a job. Again, him not having some defining weapon is why I struggle to think of him as a compliment. Dunn and Parayko both patrol and attack the offensive zone differently. But both could maintain possession through the neutral zone and both never needed someone to move the puck for them. They could utilize the other without relying on the other. Granted, he’s better than a Mayich and definitely has a higher chance of being a full time player. My point is that Burns strikes me as a player that won’t play up a lineup unless in specific circumstances. Could those circumstances open for him on the Blues? Absolutely! But I’m not holding my breath for Burns until I see a tangible weapon.

Paul Fischer:
So Fischer might be the most confounding player on this list as he clearly had a good season for Notre Dame. But when I watch him do anything, it seems like it’s a major struggle. His skating isn’t efficient, I don’t like how he handles the puck, his shot never seems like a threat, and his vision always seems to lag behind the play. This is the second camp I’ve seen of him and I can’t tell you any improvement I saw in drills or play. Maybe it’s rust or maybe it’s bad luck, but Fischer is a player I’m going to have to watch more live to really find his value. In terms of where he is compared to the field, I’d put him pretty low. The one area I thought I excelled in was his off the puck movements. He could position himself well in passing or shooting lanes when the flow of play was away from him. He shows good processing of play away from the action. Though, I’m not impressed that his game was best when he wasn’t the main, or close to the, center of attention. Like I said, I’ll have to watch his in game performance this year to fully understand what he has. Hopefully it’s more than what I’ve seen in camp.

Lukas Fischer:
This camp was never going to be the camp Fischer needed to impress. I’m prefacing everything I say with that because I don’t want to come off overly negative with this analysis. When I viewed Fischer, he struck me as someone who is still figuring out his own body. His frame is wonderful and projectable. But watching him make quick decisions with and without the puck was comical at stages. He either couldn’t handle the puck off passes, in speed, or while patrolling the blue line. His shot was firm but would either need too much space to utilize or would miss the net. He could use his reach and skating to cut off plays/players well enough as long as the player wasn’t paying attention or refused to battle for pucks. In other words, he’s really raw. Makes sense for a 17 year old who missed a good chunk of the season. The one area I was consistently impressed was his lateral movement. He uses his long stride to push himself away quickly from attacking players. He needs to develop his straight line speed to maintain his separation. However, it’s a tool that I think will serve him well in transition and in the offensive zone if he can better polish his other tools. I should finish by saying that I have hope in Fischer despite how raw he looks. A lot of the same clumsy issues were what I saw in Pekarcik. I never questioned Fischer’s ability to read plays and pt himself in good positions. He’s a case of having his body catch up to his head. Still, given what I saw, he’s got a lot of ground to make up. I like what I envision, and for a first camp, I think that’s a fine place to be.

Arseni Koromyslov:
This was the first chance I got so see Koromyslov live. I’ve been earnestly waiting to see his strengths as he always seemed like a player that flew under the radar as a prospect a la Mikkola, so I wanted to know if those feelings were founded. When I saw him during drills, I was left unimpressed. He seemed to lack the physical skills I’d look for minus the size. Nothing bad but nothing outstanding, much like Burns. I would put Koromyslov’s passing ability higher, but other than that, similar efficacy/ability during drills and exercises. Where Koromyslov started to stand out was in game. It’s a scrimmage, so take everything with a grain of salt. But his instincts are quite good and I like his ability to read the ice. He can cut off passing lanes regularly and eliminate options for attacking players on the defensive side. He makes accurate passes to start transition and establish cycles in the offensive zone. He will usually make the right call of when to attack and when to pull back. In short, he plays intelligently and assertively. Frankly, this could be the exact thing Burns needs to be as I have more faith in Koromyslov carving a role than Burns. If Burns could read the ice the way Koromyslov can, then a five man unit would have to defend against another five man unit as opposed to a four man + 1 unit. I’m not saying that Koromyslov has significantly more offensive potential than Burns (I don’t see much that separates them honestly). But Koromyslov gives room for others to work much better than what I see out of Burns and, thus, see Koromyslov as a more versatile compliment. Though, i could try to split hairs as much as I want. The same complaint for Burns can apply to Koromyslov. I want to see a weapon Koromyslov can rely on. Smarts will only get you so far if you lack such a weapon.

Theo Lindstein:
Lindstein had a hell of a camp. He excelled in passing, movement with the puck, his utilization of his edges, and his release. It seemed like he aced every drill with ease. I was impressed with what I saw last year. But it wasn’t close to this level of excitement I felt for Lindstein as a defenseman. In game, he would take over with his ability to read play and utilize his tools in conjunction with his vision. He would routinely break the ankles of defending players with his tight turning radius and quick puck movement (Mrsic, in particular, might never walk again after covering Lindstein). He had some very high end tools that should get him to the NHL. The only issue is what level of defenseman he can be. I genuinely think he has all of the tools, both physically and mentally, to be a #1 defenseman. The problem is if he can play an aggressive enough style to become that. Take my previous sentence on him breaking the ankles of defenders. He makes a great lane for himself that he can use for a scoring opportunity. He could skate to the slot or he could throw a pass in it for a great scoring chance. Instead, he passes the puck back to the top of the zone to continue the cycle. He would routinely do something similar where he would forgo the selfish play to take a more conservative approach. This is isn’t a wrong or bad approach. Lindstein will usually make the correct choice and it’s not like continuing the cycle won’t lead to other chances. But for a player with his skills package, it’s a tad frustrating not seeing him dissect defensive schemes for prime scoring chances. I don’t see anyone at camp with the same potential Lindstein shows and it seems like the only thing limiting him is how he plays. If he can develop a more killer instinct, the sky is the limit with Lindstein. But until he lets the sky be what limits him, I think he might frustrate just as much as will impress.

Mathew Mayich:
The good news on Mayich is that he looks significantly better than he did last year. His movement if much better and he no longer treats the puck like a hand grenade. His passes were much more crisp and accurate than what I saw last year. He’s more consistent with the puck as well as he was prone to mistakes with moving the puck and moving with the puck. The bad news is that he’s never going to be NHL player based on his puck skills. These camps are not going to cater to players like Mayich, who thrives with physicality. These camps show off skill and play while trying not to hurt others. Mayich is a big body who will make his money through hits and aggression. If he doesn’t have that, then he’s not going to go far despite his improvement. None of his talents are anything to write about. He lacks accuracy on his shot, his mobility with the puck is below average, and his general reads in the offensive zone are weak. His defensive reads are average as he can intercept plays pretty well. It gives me hope his physicality could be used well in a defensive role a la Edmundson if things go well. But, Edmundson was a better player overall than Mayich, so if Mayich wants that kind of life, he’ll need to show that he can play the game with or without his physical edge. He’s a 6th rounder for a reason. But for what it’s worth, he’s made improvements. Thats all anyone can ask from him at this time.

Will McIsaac:
McIsaac is a player I couldn’t make out very well. See, his physical talents were up there with the best in camp. But as soon as he started playing the scrimmages, it’s like someone put him on 75% speed. I love his mobility. It’s long and fluid so he gets to top speed efficiently. He has a fairly high top speed as well. But he stops on a dime, which I find impressive given how long his legs are. He reminds me a lot like Mikkola when he starts moving. Unlike Mikkola, McIsaac handles the puck well. He handles it in tight with his head up and can quickly move it to teammates in transition. His shot isn’t special, but it’s quick off the stick when performing a snap shot or wrist shot. Combine it with his movement and he should provide some offense. However, that’s my main gripe. He SHOULD provide offense. The problem is how slow he is on the ice when it’s game time. He takes too long to decide what to do at any given moment. He can pick up the puck with speed only to hesitate, or over-analyze, or hold on to the puck too long, etc. I can’t really figure out why his game looks so slow. I can’t say he’s not a smart player as I see him make good decisions when given space. I can’t say he’s panic filled player as he plays with poise when under pressure. But for whatever reason, he’ll lose the puck because he doesn’t make any decision quick enough. I’m going to take the optimistic approach and say it’s a matter of trusting in his instincts.

Colin Ralph:
The big question mark surrounding Ralph was always if he was worth his spot in the draft. After watching him live, I have better faith he has NHL potential. I will still look at him as a reach, but that could be said for Lukas Fischer as well personally. Ralph has underrated movement ability. He’s similar to Paul Fischer in that their off the puck movement is good. Ralph is a better skater overall than Fischer but I’d say their ability to position is about the same. Ralph shows a lot of engagement in play and utilizes his reach exponentially well. He reminds me a lot of Dumoulin the way he can play calmly in motion. Ralph had that “clumsy” quality I mentioned for Pekarcik and Lukas Fischer. I never questioned what he was doing or why he did it despite the result not going the way he wants. The big area of concern is when he tries to move the puck with possession. He keeps the puck at arms length and consistently loses it when trying to establish transition. He needs to focus on his puck handling if he wishes to become a more one-dimensional defenseman. I’m not too concerned for his lacking offensive tools (passing, shooting, creativity) as Ralph is destined for a shutdown role. He will need these tools to develop to a passable level if he wants to be an NHL talent. But his defined role will have to come from smart, efficient defensive play. I think he had the tools to do that if he can work on his puck skills. Given he’ll go the college route, I think he has the time to do that. But back to my initial question. I think he is worth a 2nd round pick after watching him. He’s further along in his development than people give him credit for. He’s just not an exciting prospect. He’s also a prospect the Blues have a lot of. So much in fact that I would rather the Blues have gone for a forward in his spot. Ralph has the toolset to be an NHL talent, but so does Kessel who had a better offensive skillset in conjunction with his defensive game. Long story short, Ralph will take time to become a defensive player that relies on reach and positioning. Thats a useful outcome for any team. It’s just not one that fans get excited for.

I know there are other prospects I didn’t write anything about and I can answer questions on them if you would like. This is my 8th or so camp and I was more impressed with this year than I can remember in any previous year. Even if the prognoses seem harsh to an extent, be aware that I do see talent in many of these guys. It’s simply a matter of how difficult making the NHL is even amongst the talented. I know this analysis is very late and I do apologize for that. Traveling immediately after camp will do that. But please, give me your thoughts and questions!
Good stuff. Stenberg's status has definitely gone up in my mind while re-evaluating these guys during the polls.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Antoine Dorion:

Dalibor Dvorsky:

Adam Jecho:

Aleksantari Kaskimaki:

Ondrej Kos:

Thomas Mrsic:

Juraj Pekarcik:

Dylan Peterson:

Simon Robertsson:

Jimmy Snuggerud:

Otto Stenberg:

Nikita Susuyev:

Defensemen:

Michael Buchinger:

Quinn Burns:

Paul Fischer:

Lukas Fischer:

Arseni Koromyslov:

Theo Lindstein:

Mathew Mayich:

Will McIsaac:

Colin Ralph:

Great writeups. One thing that I would add, is that your observations implicitly highlight how much tougher it is to evaluate young defenders. They tend to take longer to develop than forwards so we are drafting guys who are much rawer. This is why they always feel like reaches outside of top handful in most drafts. They ARE riskier because they are much further away. We have over last couple years been adding bigger (often toolsy) d like Burns and Ralp and Fischers, but they generally don’t yet process game at level that allows them to consistently take full advantage. And some never will. The range of possible outcomes (for non 1st rounders) feels much wider (good and bad) for the d than it does for our similarly situated forward prospects.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I know there's been many down on Ralph, so he's some positives.

2024 World Junior Summer Showcase: Who stood out on Day 1

#2 Colin Ralph, D (St. Louis Blues): Ralph had some good break-up plays around his own net and he brought the physicality, too. I also thought he did a good job of making sure the puck stayed in the offensive zone when he was on the ice, which as a defenseman, is a good thing. Ralph makes a ton of smart play reads, so I was happy with how he looked.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
1. Dvorsky
2. Lindstein
3. Jiricek
4. Stenberg
5. Snuggerud
6. L. Fischer
7. Bolduc
8. Pecarcik
9. Stancl
10. Dean
11. Kos
12. Jecho
13. Ralph
14. Buchinger
15. Susuyev
16. Burns
17. P. Fischer
18. Peterson
19. Kaskimaki
20. Gaudet

This isn't defensible based on current reality on, say, the trade market, as Snuggerud is a more valued prospect than Stenberg for example. This instead reflects a little over the horizon relative ranking of what I am excited about for their relative impact on the Blues. Stenberg vs. Snuggerud right now IMO is a little like Steen vs. Mike Hoffman in value which explains valuing Steen type more. It's more a valuing of Stenberg than a diss of The Midnight Snuggler. If the Snuggler rounds out his dimensions more this season he would rise. I am very high on Jiri Fischer's kid.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Think the big body focus is 100% on purpose tho. Tim Taylor was interviewed at prospect camp specifically mentioned the organizational philosophy was big guys who can skate well. I’m paraphrasing, but that’s the gist as far as I can remember.

I have to say, it is really, really hard to argue against that as an organizational philosophy, especially once we're talking about picks 40+ where every guy is going to have potentially-career-killing weaknesses.

Skating has never been more important than it is in today's NHL. The game has gotten so fast and it has become harder than ever to be successful as a 'slow' or 'plodding' team in the NHL. However, the playoffs continue to show that it is extremely difficult to win 4 rounds if you are small and/or get pushed around. Barring absolutely elite high end skill at multiple positions, I don't believe a team can win the Cup without being able to be a bully.

I haven't liked our 2024 draft nearly as much as our 2023 draft (which is an unreasonably high bar), but it is tough to argue if the strategy was in fact 'just focus on getting big guys who can skate."

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
Lindstein sat his second straight game today. They need to get his butt in the lineup for petes sake.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Lindstein sat his second straight game today. They need to get his butt in the lineup for petes sake.

Yeah I was gonna ask about this, just seems very strange given the World Junior tournament and solid progression in Lindstein's game. Some of the names playing over him are just absurd.

Reactions: LogosBlue

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yeah I was gonna ask about this, just seems very strange given the World Junior tournament and solid progression in Lindstein's game. Some of the names playing over him are just absurd.
Not worried. I'd presume he is a lock for the WJC and they are wanting to see other d for evaluation purposes. or could just have minor injury.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Colin Ralph got his first point in the WJSS with an assist today in a 2-1 win over Sweden. He’s now 0-1 in 2 games.

Lukas Fisher with an assist in a 5-3 win over Finland. He’s now 1-1 in 2 games. Paul Fischer held off the scoresheet, he’s now 0-2 in 2 games after his 2 assists against Finland in game 1.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Not worried. I'd presume he is a lock for the WJC and they are wanting to see other d for evaluation purposes. or could just have minor injury.
Agreed. He should be a lock to make their team so Sweden’s coach could very well be sitting a few of his top guys so he can get a better look at the bubble guys. Hopefully he’s not injured but he was certainly healthy in STL earlier this month.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Nice write up about Stenberg:

Stenberg’s switch​

Otto Stenberg (St. Louis Blues) will spend this season with Malmo of the Swedish Hockey League after terminating his contract with Frolunda.

"I changed my contract," he said. "I mean, Frolunda is a packed team and as a young player you want to play, and it's important to play. I think I have more opportunities for a bigger role by playing more minutes in Malmo, so that's why I made the move."

Stenberg (5-11, 185) had six points (three goals, three assists), 36 shots on goal and averaged 11:38 in ice time in 31 games with Frolunda in Sweden's top professional men's league last season. He'll likely earn a letter in a leadership role for Sweden as one of the key returning players for the team that took home the silver medal last year.

"I've had good conversations with the Blues about the change," Stenberg said. "I mean, I played last year, but it was around 10 or 12 minutes a game. That worked the first year, but now I want to take bigger steps.

"The plan right now is to have a good season in Sweden next year and then maybe play in the United States next year, but we haven't decided yet. I'm just focusing on a good season and then we'll see what happens."

Lindstein likely sat out due to travel issues/equipment not arriving on time:

Better late than never

Sweden arrived a day late to the summer showcase due to a canceled flight out of Stockholm on Thursday, but 19 of the 25 players invited to the event practiced Saturday.

"The luggage and equipment are spread out," Sweden coach Magnus Havelid said. "We were checked in and ready to take off to Frankfurt, Germany, but there were activists on the ground at the airport so we couldn't leave Stockholm. We did have one goalie, six defensemen and 12 forwards on the ice today, so that was good. Hopefully, the rest of the luggage will come as soon as possible for the guys who were off ice (Saturday)."

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
1. Dvorsky
2. Lindstein
3. Jiricek
4. Stenberg
5. Snuggerud
6. L. Fischer
7. Bolduc
8. Pecarcik
9. Stancl
10. Dean
11. Kos
12. Jecho
13. Ralph
14. Buchinger
15. Susuyev
16. Burns
17. P. Fischer
18. Peterson
19. Kaskimaki
20. Gaudet

This isn't defensible based on current reality on, say, the trade market, as Snuggerud is a more valued prospect than Stenberg for example. This instead reflects a little over the horizon relative ranking of what I am excited about for their relative impact on the Blues. Stenberg vs. Snuggerud right now IMO is a little like Steen vs. Mike Hoffman in value which explains valuing Steen type more. It's more a valuing of Stenberg than a diss of The Midnight Snuggler. If the Snuggler rounds out his dimensions more this season he would rise. I am very high on Jiri Fischer's kid.

That's a good looking list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad