GDT: Blues' 2010 NHL Entry Draft days thread - June 25/26 - May the Schwartz be with you!

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
The deal to trade back in and snag Tarasenko is going to be viewed in hindsight (in 5 years) as a gigantic coup. SO LET IT BE WRITTEN.

With all the talk between Mcilrath and Tarasenko from tonight I wanted to re-read a lot of the stuff from the 2010 NHL Draft. I read the Rangers draft thread again (which is absolutely hilarious) and then searched for this one and I just can't believe that the Blues got these 2 players in this draft. Especially considering Schwartz was the 29th ranked prospect heading into it, but after looking at the draft again, there isn't a single player I would trade Schwartz for that was drafted after him, except for maybe Tarasenko..

But yes, in hindsight, this is viewed as a gigantic coup. Good call, 2MM.

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
With all the talk between Mcilrath and Tarasenko from tonight I wanted to re-read a lot of the stuff from the 2010 NHL Draft. I read the Rangers draft thread again (which is absolutely hilarious) and then searched for this one and I just can't believe that the Blues got these 2 players in this draft. Especially considering Schwartz was the 29th ranked prospect heading into it, but after looking at the draft again, there isn't a single player I would trade Schwartz for that was drafted after him, except for maybe Tarasenko..

I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't trade Schwartz for Seguin/Taylor Hall/Jeff Skinner..

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I would too if that's what I said, but it wasn't.

Although I wouldn't trade him for Skinner.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I would too if that's what I said, but it wasn't.

Although I wouldn't trade him for Skinner.

You did say after him, so you're good. I'll take it a step further, I wouldn't trade Schwartz or Tarasenko for anyone in that draft besides Hall and Seguin. Johansen is the closest that I would definitely consider. Besides those 3, I definitely wouldn't move either of our guys for anyone.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
You did say after him, so you're good. I'll take it a step further, I wouldn't trade Schwartz or Tarasenko for anyone in that draft besides Hall and Seguin. Johansen is the closest that I would definitely consider. Besides those 3, I definitely wouldn't move either of our guys for anyone.

Well, Tarasenko is a better all around player than Hall. I saw a lot of Oilers games, and I can say it for sure. I think this year and in the future Vlad will be pretty close to Hall in point production. But he's better 2-way player, much more gritty one, and his playmaking is perhaps better as well. And there is that thing, people call it leadership...

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
There's very few players in the entire league I would trade Tarasenko for right now. That's how much I like his upside. As amazing as he's been so far this year, I still think he's got another level he can go to in terms of taking games over.

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
Well, Tarasenko is a better all around player than Hall. I saw a lot of Oilers games, and I can say it for sure. I think this year and in the future Vlad will be pretty close to Hall in point production. But he's better 2-way player, much more gritty one, and his playmaking is perhaps better as well. And there is that thing, people call it leadership...

I agree that I would probably take Tarasenko over Hall. But let's be fair to Taylor, it would be interesting to see what kind of player Hall really is with a competent team around him. I don't think people have really gotten to see what kind of player he could be.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I agree that I would probably take Tarasenko over Hall. But let's be fair to Taylor, it would be interesting to see what kind of player Hall really is with a competent team around him. I don't think people have really gotten to see what kind of player he could be.

Well, it would be interesting to see Tarasenko on a pure offensive team as well. And Hall has been the main driving force behind the Oilers since his 1st day on the team. While there are a lot of good players in St Louis, so even when this season started, Tarasenko wasn't considered as the man on the Blues. He's just become that important lately.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Edmonton would be even worse if they replaced Hall with Tarasenko. Not even fair to compare them. If Hall was on the Blues he'd be an absolute stud. He's already good but if he was learning actual structure, he'd be pretty scary.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Could you imagine Hall with the coaching of Hitch, watch out. Tarasenko's mentality was already to be a good 2-way player, so he was going to be a complete forward regardless, but Hitch was able to get Hull to play more complete. Another reason why Army will probably feel more comfortable to trade for a more offensive forward if the opportunity presents itself.

As far as complete forwards from that draft, you can't get much better than what we got in Schwartz and Tarasenko.

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014

Don't get to ahead of yourself now, Tarasenko hitting even 70 pts this season is pretty unlikely. Just because he's on a hot streak right now doesn't mean much

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Don't get to ahead of yourself now, Tarasenko hitting even 70 pts this season is pretty unlikely. Just because he's on a hot streak right now doesn't mean much

If he stays healthy and scores at exactly the same pace as last year from here on out, he'll hit 60. It's not unlikely that he hits 70. You're right that it's not guaranteed, but his shot volume and shooting percentage, alone, give him a good chance. Hall broke out in his third year, after he had 120+ games in the league. It's a long season, but it's not "pretty unlikely" that this, Tarasenko's third, is a breakout year and he does get "pretty close to Hall in point production" while being a better 2-way player.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The thing is, with prospects like Hakanpaa, Wannstrom, and Beach, there's an outside chance that we could have five NHLers out of this draft

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah I think Beach could definitely have a 4th-line future in the NHL.

Hakanpaa and Wannstrom, maybe but Beach may have the best chance out of the three to be honest. Of course you also have to look at our team... it'll be much harder to crack our top 9 and future defense than it will be the 4th line.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Yeah I don't think it's far-fetched to say Beach has a good chance to be an NHL 4th liner. Might not happen here, but he might be like Peluso and get his shot elsewhere. He knows his role, and I think that goes a long way for guys like him.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't trade Schwartz for Seguin/Taylor Hall/Jeff Skinner..

I wouldn't trade Schwartz if you forced me too for the concussion machine that is Jeff Skinner.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
The deal to trade back in and snag Tarasenko is going to be viewed in hindsight (in 5 years) as a gigantic coup. SO LET IT BE WRITTEN.

are-you-a-wizard_o_2288631.jpg

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

Where you been, haven't really seen you around the Blues board or in The Blues GDT's this season?

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Yeah I think Beach could definitely have a 4th-line future in the NHL.

Hakanpaa and Wannstrom, maybe but Beach may have the best chance out of the three to be honest. Of course you also have to look at our team... it'll be much harder to crack our top 9 and future defense than it will be the 4th line.

Unless secondary point production from Lindstrom starts to occur I can see his spot being up for grabs. As it stands now, I don't see him being re-signed.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Unless secondary point production from Lindstrom starts to occur I can see his spot being up for grabs. As it stands now, I don't see him being re-signed.
Yeah I agree but that will be filled by Fabbri/Rattie/Jaskin quickly.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
It's funny to read my optimistic predictions from what really doesn't feel very long ago. Can anyone find one where I said when the Blues would win the Cup this year?

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Best part about Tarasenko doing well is the drama storm it creates for everybody who could have drafted him but didn't. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad