Blue Jackets new GM, Don Waddell, on possibly trading Elvis Merzļikins: “Let’s be honest, nobody is going to trade for that contract.”

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Elvis to the sharks for Columbus 1st rounder this year might do it.

We need to meet the cap floor anyways and his contract will expire by the time we are competing

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Jarmo thought someone would if he just hid Elvis in the pressbox and a sucker GM would just take him on without seeing him play. Unfortunately the shady plan didn’t work, and guys like Holland didn’t bite.

Bye Jarmo!

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Columbus was willing to add Adam Boqvist to it, I don't see why Toronto wouldn't consider it. They're going to need a split starter with Woll next season and the goalie market is barren unless they're willing to pay the toll on Ullmark or Saros and ultimately extend them at a much higher AAV.

I thought Toronto's transition game was weak in the Boston series and their PP really lacked an effective point option. Enter Adam Boqvist.

If they could add a contract like Reaves to offset, they're addressing two big roster needs for a net $6.7m. Leaves them with a lot of flexibility.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
There’s a difference between being candid and being an asshole. Sometimes it’s best to just keep your mouth shut instead of “keeping it real”. Everyone would have a problem if at a big company meeting your boss singled you out and said you’re overpaid and not worth it
Not everyone is a milquetoast in 2024. Some of us have a skin like leather. Who knows what Elvis will do. I'd vow to prove Waddell wrong. Not sure he has that make-up though...

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Elvis was above .900 hockey for about 3/4 of last year. I really don't believe that he couldn't be moved with retention. I think Waddell's statement is just about interest in Elvis' full contract, and I'd presume it's because Waddell refuses to do retention.
Over the last 3 years only Jack Campbell has a worse GSAx (by about half a goal)

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
If Columbus was willing to add Adam Boqvist to it, I don't see why Toronto wouldn't consider it. They're going to need a split starter with Woll next season and the goalie market is barren unless they're willing to pay the toll on Ullmark or Saros and ultimately extend them at a much higher AAV.

I thought Toronto's transition game was weak in the Boston series and their PP really lacked an effective point option. Enter Adam Boqvist.

If they could add a contract like Reaves to offset, they're addressing two big roster needs for a net $6.7m. Leaves them with a lot of flexibility.
Toronto has no interest in a goalie signed past 2026 unless it's a top 15 goalie in the league.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Toronto has no interest in a goalie signed past 2026 unless it's a top 15 goalie in the league.
Top 15 based on stats accrued from another team? Or top 15 based on GSae without taking into account workload?

The Leafs are rumored to be looking at Brossoit. They'd be running a tandem if two goalies who've never played 30 games in a season.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Top 15 based on stats accrued from another team? Or top 15 based on GSae without taking into account workload?

The Leafs are rumored to be looking at Brossoit. They'd be running a tandem if two goalies who've never played 30 games in a season.
Brossoit is an ideal option for Toronto IMO. 1 year contract GREATLY preferred to 2 years. 3 years is a deal-breaker. Hopefully they don't chase a big fish.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
There’s a difference between being candid and being an asshole. Sometimes it’s best to just keep your mouth shut instead of “keeping it real”. Everyone would have a problem if at a big company meeting your boss singled you out and said you’re overpaid and not worth it
Except they do that all the time. The difference is, rather than telling you this, they simply fire you.

Because normal employees don't have the infinite job security a guy like Merzlikins does. If you're bad and not worth the money, you should be able to be fired, or your pay should be able to be re-evaluated.

Hurricane Hugo

Jun 11, 2010
South Carolina
People in here acting like Elvis & Don aren’t two grown ass men in a professional career. GMDW didn’t say anything that Elvis wasn’t already keenly aware of. Waddell is being transparent and honest with the fans about the team that just hired him. In my mind, that’s a huge positive, but you do you.

I like when coaches, players, managers are candid. We need for of that (eg Ullmark’s comments).
It’s too bad that everyone gets their feelings hurt so easily now. I guarantee there’s people in this thread far more hurt about Don’s comment than Elvis is. What a world.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
If that doesn't motivate you to prove them wrong, then well, you aren't the sort of person a lot of teams will want.

Folks who take adversity and use it to fuel their fire to earn respect through performance are the sorts of people you want. Especially in a competitive sports environment. The ones who will let it get to them and go "woe is me" are the weaklings who call in sick when they have the slight sniffles or a minor headache.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Not everyone is a milquetoast in 2024. Some of us have a skin like leather. Who knows what Elvis will do. I'd vow to prove Waddell wrong. Not sure he has that make-up though...

Just outta curiosity, on a scale of 10 to 11, how outraged were you when Colin Kaepernick took a knee? The mere mention of Greta Thunberg does what to your blood pressure?

It’s about not being a prick and having a decent work environment. That quote doesn’t make trading Elvis or dealing him any easier, so Waddell should keep his jowls from flapping by shutting up. ..see how that’s maybe not the most effective communication?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad