Blue Jackets fire Pascal Vincent

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Was cheering for him since he was in Winnipeg for a while but it was a bad team and he's probably not the best choice right now

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
Not surprised. With Waddell coming in, he's going to want to hire his own coach.

It's wild to think Columbus has been in the league for 24 years, and their only playoff accomplishment was sweeping the juggernaut 2019 Lightning.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
There's been a number of little snipes at Columbus from him this summer, when before he was overall pretty positive about the Jackets. I suspect he wanted Rimer's job and they told him no.
He's been at ESPN for like 30 years, do you really think he'd want to be the Jackets play by play guy instead of one of ESPN's top dogs? I think any little snipes have more to do with the fact that the Jackets are currently a laughing stock.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wants to continue seeing Columbus suck eh?

I think you're underestimating how little time that the hockey media spends thinking about the Blue Jackets. They're basically the Washington Wizards of the NHL, only being in the news when someone gets hired or fired (CBJ's damn good sweep of the Bolts in 2019 and a surprise free agent signing being the exceptions).

He probably just likes the guy and wants an open job to go to him.

Reactions: cptjeff

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
He's been at ESPN for like 30 years, do you really think he'd want to be the Jackets play by play guy instead of one of ESPN's top dogs? I think any little snipes have more to do with the fact that the Jackets are currently a laughing stock.
He's from the area and is the only one in the entire national hockey media who ever says something positive about the team that isn't just a backhanded compliment. His children are now grown and he's publicly said he hates living in CT. An open play by play job near his family where he wouldn't have to travel every week of the year anymore would be very attractive to someone like that. There's also a major college hockey program right here, plus a juggernaut DI women's team. It's not a huge leap to make. But silly me, Columbus sucks. You're right.

drede

Jul 13, 2023
S

No specifics other than Friedman saying it. Have to assume that they have a guy lined up, right?

Record as CBJ's bench boss was 27-43-12, so not much to write home about, but also nothing for new management to be overly attached to either.

Upd: Confirmed.

seems Like they should have done this a while ago alot of coach's already signed new teams

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
They could have hired Scotty Bowman, and the ghosts of Toe Blake and Pat Burns and they wouldn't have done any better. Crappy trades, signings and player development. Yet John Davidson always keeps his job...Always the old boys club in the NHL, never much new blood.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Feel bad for Pascal. Jarmo had him purposely lose by hiding Elvis from playing in an attempt to rip someone off in an Elvis trade.

Reactions: CBJx614

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Sucks for him, getting fired this late after the season ended. While the offseason is just starting roster construction wise, a lot of the coach openings have already been filled.
Yeah that's pretty bush league. At least fire him in time to apply for an assistants job or something

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wonder if Columbus owners wonder why they suck. Or if they just have a wow it's me attitude.

The Jackets have virtually the same record over the last ten years as your Canucks. About 360 regular season wins and two post season series victories.

They had a great four year run under Torts. It kind of feels like Columbus automatically gets resorted into the "always bad" file the minute they start a rebuild, sort of the opposite of the way folks were still annointing the Blackhawks as a top club several years after 2015, when they were missing the playoffs every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad