Blue Jackets fire Pascal Vincent

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
New management coming in wanting own people so it's not shocking and it really isn't ideal to inherit staff

Good news for Vincent is that I expect most around league will understand this and he will get another shot down line

Also, the situation that brought Vincent to HC job was not ideal for anyone involved

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Pascal will get a coaching job soon, either as an assistant or head coach of a junior or AHL team.

Don't know who Columbus hires, but I'm gonna guess they go with Dean Evason or potentially Jay Woodcroft.

Reactions: kanadalainen

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He was there, but the roles and responsibilities of an assistant are much different than a head coach. His prep was likely much more specific.

Also, I'm guessing the locker room was pretty fractured when he took over. Many of the vets and the org did originally go to bat for Mike.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Not surprising, though he was put in a pretty tough situation with the Babcock incident.

Didn't do himself any favours though, with very questionable treatment of CBJ's key young players.
The young players who played deserved it. It's just that if someone like Kent Johnson has lack of strength to be successful in the NHL or doesn't have ideal conditioning like Dmitry Voronkov (in his case it's understandable, you have to get used to the new pace) or has problems with positional defense and also 1:1 at high pace like Daviid Jiříček, can't expect him to play a lot of minutes.
By the way, Voronkov used to play regularly on the PP.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The young players who played deserved it. It's just that if someone like Kent Johnson has lack of strength to be successful in the NHL or doesn't have ideal conditioning like Dmitry Voronkov (in his case it's understandable, you have to get used to the new pace) or has problems with positional defense and also 1:1 at high pace like Daviid Jiříček, can't expect him to play a lot of minutes.
By the way, Voronkov used to play regularly on the PP.
I mean, didn't Vincent tell Jiricek that he should get an apartment in Columbus (assuming that he would be there full-time) and then they proceed to yo-yo him back and forth to the AHL, with a lot of press box time in the NHL? Is that good for development?

Kent Johnson was clearly too good for the AHL, but didn't play much in the NHL.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I mean, didn't Vincent tell Jiricek that he should get an apartment in Columbus (assuming that he would be there full-time) and then they proceed to yo-yo him back and forth to the AHL, with a lot of press box time in the NHL? Is that good for development?

Pascal was seemingly out to do what was best for him and his career and less so about what was best for the Jackets future. Probably easy to understand when you are on as short a term as he was. Also easy to understand why they would let him go.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Not Pascal Vincent but GM Jarmo Kekäläinen said Jiříček he will play in the NHL. Although even he said David can return to the AHL. But a guy thinks he was an NHL player and should play although he was worse than Boqvist, Severson and Gudbranson - our RD.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Pascal was seemingly out to do what was best for him and his career and less so about what was best for the Jackets future. Probably easy to understand when you are on as short a term as he was. Also easy to understand why they would let him go.
Young players must be ready to play in the NHL first. Johnson, Sillinger, Jiříček had to play in the AHL first. But except Jiříček, who needs still one year in the AHL, they played in the NHL. On the other side Chinakhov played even in SH although I don't, machine so that he played there in the KHL. Pascal believed him.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Columbus has a young, exciting team. I hope for their sake that they get this next hire right. I know they just had a terrible year, but they clearly expect playoff results sooner rather than later. Hopefully they get the Laine thing figured out and can sign some nice vets to lead this very young team to success.

Luckily for their sake, Travis Green is off the market :laugh:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It was a tough situation for Vincent, but he was also pretty clearly way in over his head.

I wonder if a guy like Boudreau might be interested in coming back. He seems to have a pretty good track record of getting teams to the playoffs and making the most out of rosters.

Reactions: LJ7

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
This franchise hasn't seen alot of bright days.

It's weird, CBJ has accumulated quite a few good young prospects. It just feels like I'm holding my breath waiting for them to break out

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $10,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00