OT: Blue Bombers Thread - 2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Manziel can't wash out of the CFL fast enough. I'm already tired of hearing about him, I might not be able to watch Ti-Cats games at all this year. Hell I bet they spend 30 mins talking about Manziel during a Esks-Bombers game for some reason.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
All 3 will be on the roster. LaFrance will be the backup to Harris. Flanders will be used in different packages with 2 RB to give different looks, likely replacing an international WR in those packages.

Honestly I have no idea the ratio works in game. I know you need the 7 starters, but how is it monitored considering the rotations among WR and DL. If you want an extra international on O, how can you prove that you are going to add one on D. Would it just be the next play as to have another extra national on D? Couldn't you just do that continually on your first play basically ensuring you always have an extra spot? The in game adjustments to ratio I've never understood.
Given the ratio, I think it's going to be VERY difficult for Flanders to make the game day roster. With the plan to start 6 Canadians (3 OL, 2 receivers and Harris) on offense and 1 on defense (Loffler), I just don't see how he sees the field.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Well Bombers made an interesting signing today. They've added QB Bryan Bennett. If the name sounds familiar, it's because it's his second tour with the team. He was the PR QB added in late 2015 and spent 2016 with the Bombers. Last year he was in camp with Saskatchewan but was released at the end of camp. I'm not sure where he fits in. It might mean they are not happy with Streveler. I haven't heard anything about Streveler but apparently Ross has been very impressive.

Bombers also added a new WR/KR. They released a LB and DL Larry Webster. I had thought Webster (a former DET Lion 4th Rd Pick with great size at 6'6'' 270LBS) was going to be the backup international DT, but it sounds like the Bombers are really impressed with Brandin Bryant so far for that role. It seems more likely the 24yo NFL undrafted Bryant will accept a PR spot than the 28yo Webster so that might also have played a part (unlikely another international DL makes the roster if all of Jeffcoat, Okpalaugo, and Roh are healthy).
I've been to a few practices in training camp this year and I'd say Strevler is winning the battle over Ross, but it's not a slam dunk. Bennett will be given the opportunity to win the backup QB job, because I think the competition is wide open right now.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see Okpalauko released, with his big salary...Roh and Jeffcoat have been taking most of the first team reps at defensive ends.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Given the ratio, I think it's going to be VERY difficult for Flanders to make the game day roster. With the plan to start 6 Canadians (3 OL, 2 receivers and Harris) on offense and 1 on defense (Loffler), I just don't see how he sees the field.

In later posts, I talked about that. I do believe it'll be either Flanders or another WR in one of the 3 open backup international spots. Depends what kind of packages they want to run and how well LaFrance plays.

I've been to a few practices in training camp this year and I'd say Strevler is winning the battle over Ross, but it's not a slam dunk. Bennett will be given the opportunity to win the backup QB job, because I think the competition is wide open right now.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see Okpalauko released, with his big salary...Roh and Jeffcoat have been taking most of the first team reps at defensive ends.

Well Bauming has been really high on Ross throughout the process. The pre-season games we'll get a better sense but right now it's still Ross penciled in at #2, IMO. Bennett never impressed me in the past.

Okpalaugo adds more of a passing rushing threat though. Neither Jeffcoat nor Roh are true pass rushers, they are more versatile consistent players though. But Okpalaugo adds that real QB pressure threat. You need 3 good DE's at least with the rotation on the DL. So unless one of the rookies steps up (or Chorney takes a huge step forward) I feel like Okpalaugo's spot is pretty safe. There's other options to clear salary room, IMO, like one of the BC signings (Clarke or Gaitor, lots of rookie DB talent) and considering he's injured again I can't see any way that Ian Wild cracks the roster.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
as the days go by, i think i appreciate more and more how important Bighill's signing will be. i still feel like we don't have enough pass rushers who will get sacks and teams may just double Bighill repeatedly (like they did with Doug Brown in the old days). would be nice to get one more threat.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
as the days go by, i think i appreciate more and more how important Bighill's signing will be. i still feel like we don't have enough pass rushers who will get sacks and teams may just double Bighill repeatedly (like they did with Doug Brown in the old days). would be nice to get one more threat.

Yep. I am of the belief that this team is missing an elite pass rusher. Okpaulago, Roh and Jeffcoat are okay, but none of them are elite. We need an elite guy ala Odell Willis/Phillip Hunt/Alex Hall. Of course I’m not saying to go after those guys today, but we need someone who can make an impact like they did when they were with us.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't follow closely but it looks like the Bombers have made some pretty good moves and should be a pretty good team this year, better than last year?

Well Bombers were 2nd in the league last year. So better than last year will be a tough ask. 12 wins usually puts you in contention for the division win.

They do appear better this year though. At least on paper. They've changed their ratio pretty hard this year moving from 4 nationals starting on the defensive side, 3 on the offense to 1 national on the defense and 6 on the offense. This should really help the D improve. The LB is miles better obviously with Fenner/Leggett - Bighill - Santos-Knox compared to Leggett/Fogg - Hurl - Wild. They are fast, more physical and more football sense. The DB appears to much improved with guys that were regular starters last year currently competing for roster spots and might not even make the team at all (Alexander/Walker). It'll be interesting to see how the DL is this year. Westerman was slowing down but still a good pass rusher and I'm not sure if they adequately replaced that. It'll help having Johnson in there more regularly from the middle. The run D on the DL should be much improved as the ends now are much better rounded than Westerman and Nevis being a regular. Overall it's a much deeper D and having a true superstar at MLB will really help.

The offense looks to be a bit more of a question mark. It was clear that defense was the focus of the off-season. The line took at least a bit of a step back as they move back to 3 nationals on the OL (Neufeld in for Bond at LG). Overall the Bombers do project to have a real good OL still though. The RB corps is the same plus a quality backup in LaFrance. I don't think Harris will be slowing down just yet. At QB Nichols continues to look good. The QB depth is a big question mark. The starting international WR's look real good. Having both Adams and Bowman means that the WR corps will now have 2 big targets and Dressler continues to be a productive slot receiver when healthy. The big change is to go to 2 nationals. Demski will play one spot and seems poised for a breakout season. The wide side WR spot is a battle between 3 guys with 5 games and 1 catch combined experience. The guy with 5gp and 1 catch is 2017 supplemental pick Wolitarsky who has the inside track right now with 2018 2nd rounder Simonise and 2018 3rd rounder Petermann competing against him. The depth WR's are mostly unknowns, but international WR are usually a dime a dozen.

So yes on paper this team looks better. Until someone else can prove it Calgary remains the favourite in the CFL, but Bombers are right there with them. Big question marks revolve around depth at QB, health at WR (Adams, Demski, Dressler are all known as injury prone), health/skill at LG, pass rushing (no true pass rusher at DE), and how the revamped DB corps melds together. All teams have some question marks though.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Does anyone know if any radio stations out of Brandon broadcasts Bomber Games?
I have a cabin at Pelican lake South of Brandon..Thetevis no cell service/no internet/ I don’t have satellite...so over the air Radio is my only option...
thanks

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well Bombers were 2nd in the league last year. So better than last year will be a tough ask. 12 wins usually puts you in contention for the division win.

They do appear better this year though. At least on paper. They've changed their ratio pretty hard this year moving from 4 nationals starting on the defensive side, 3 on the offense to 1 national on the defense and 6 on the offense. This should really help the D improve. The LB is miles better obviously with Fenner/Leggett - Bighill - Santos-Knox compared to Leggett/Fogg - Hurl - Wild. They are fast, more physical and more football sense. The DB appears to much improved with guys that were regular starters last year currently competing for roster spots and might not even make the team at all (Alexander/Walker). It'll be interesting to see how the DL is this year. Westerman was slowing down but still a good pass rusher and I'm not sure if they adequately replaced that. It'll help having Johnson in there more regularly from the middle. The run D on the DL should be much improved as the ends now are much better rounded than Westerman and Nevis being a regular. Overall it's a much deeper D and having a true superstar at MLB will really help.

The offense looks to be a bit more of a question mark. It was clear that defense was the focus of the off-season. The line took at least a bit of a step back as they move back to 3 nationals on the OL (Neufeld in for Bond at LG). Overall the Bombers do project to have a real good OL still though. The RB corps is the same plus a quality backup in LaFrance. I don't think Harris will be slowing down just yet. At QB Nichols continues to look good. The QB depth is a big question mark. The starting international WR's look real good. Having both Adams and Bowman means that the WR corps will now have 2 big targets and Dressler continues to be a productive slot receiver when healthy. The big change is to go to 2 nationals. Demski will play one spot and seems poised for a breakout season. The wide side WR spot is a battle between 3 guys with 5 games and 1 catch combined experience. The guy with 5gp and 1 catch is 2017 supplemental pick Wolitarsky who has the inside track right now with 2018 2nd rounder Simonise and 2018 3rd rounder Petermann competing against him. The depth WR's are mostly unknowns, but international WR are usually a dime a dozen.

So yes on paper this team looks better. Until someone else can prove it Calgary remains the favourite in the CFL, but Bombers are right there with them. Big question marks revolve around depth at QB, health at WR (Adams, Demski, Dressler are all known as injury prone), health/skill at LG, pass rushing (no true pass rusher at DE), and how the revamped DB corps melds together. All teams have some question marks though.
Good summary. Of all the moves the upgrade from Hurl to Bighill is the most dramatic. Hurl was one of the weakest LBs imaginable, and Bighill is a monster. Let's hope the Bombers' defensive schemes take advantage of their great talent on D. I am still a bit worried about Loffler in coverage. Any thoughts about that position?

Reactions: snowkiddin

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Good summary. Of all the moves the upgrade from Hurl to Bighill is the most dramatic. Hurl was one of the weakest LBs imaginable, and Bighill is a monster. Let's hope the Bombers' defensive schemes take advantage of their great talent on D. I am still a bit worried about Loffler in coverage. Any thoughts about that position?

Not much focus has been given to S since that is a locked in position. Loffler isn't the greatest cover guy, but he's not bad either. He is invaluable in the run game and gives the Bombers a hitting threat back there which does help keep receivers honest. It's not a spot anybody is talking about though since there's no competition at all there, barring a Loffler injury.

I do believe that many of the problems the secondary faced last year involved the pass rush. The Bombers did not generate much in terms of pass rush which magnified the weakness in the secondary. I think an improved pass rush will be a big part of the secondary tightening up. There is more talent in the secondary as well this year it does appear.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Not much focus has been given to S since that is a locked in position. Loffler isn't the greatest cover guy, but he's not bad either. He is invaluable in the run game and gives the Bombers a hitting threat back there which does help keep receivers honest. It's not a spot anybody is talking about though since there's no competition at all there, barring a Loffler injury.

I do believe that many of the problems the secondary faced last year involved the pass rush. The Bombers did not generate much in terms of pass rush which magnified the weakness in the secondary. I think an improved pass rush will be a big part of the secondary tightening up. There is more talent in the secondary as well this year it does appear.

Bighill will change everything, guy is a beast, need someone else to step up So the BB’s can have a great one, two punch from the D line!

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bighill will change everything, guy is a beast, need someone else to step up So the BB’s can have a great one, two punch from the D line!

Bighill doesn't play d line. He will not change the pass rush that that much (he's a more effective Blitzer sure but you only blitz so much).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Bighill doesn't play d line. He will not change the pass rush that that much (he's a more effective Blitzer sure but you only blitz so much).
But Bighill will cause a lot more second and long downs, which will allow the pass rush to be more aggressive and creative. I got so tired of watching Hurl trail the play or ride a runner's back for extra yards. That ain't happening with Bighill.

None

Feb 22, 2012

I can remember Hurl getting taken completely out of the play getting blocked by guys half his size when the Bombers brought numbers, literally anyone that can get past a block is an upgrade there.

They also had a 3-4 set where Hurl would either delayed blitz or drop back into the slot, in either play he was completely useless because he couldn't get through a block and his coverage was abysmal. He'd get taken out by a block or have trouble chasing even the less mobile QBs in the league. I think Ricky Ray had a 10 yard run because Hurl took a bad angle and couldn't catch up.

Those 3-4 sets were terribly designed given the personnel though, can't really blame Hurl for being misused.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I can remember Hurl getting taken completely out of the play getting blocked by guys half his size when the Bombers brought numbers, literally anyone that can get past a block is an upgrade there.

They also had a 3-4 set where Hurl would either delayed blitz or drop back into the slot, in either play he was completely useless because he couldn't get through a block and his coverage was abysmal. He'd get taken out by a block or have trouble chasing even the less mobile QBs in the league. I think Ricky Ray had a 10 yard run because Hurl took a bad angle and couldn't catch up.

Those 3-4 sets were terribly designed given the personnel though, can't really blame Hurl for being misused.

I did say it would be an improvement. Of course it will be. Just not a huge one in terms of pass rush. As Whilee said there will be some other benefits such as having hopefully more 2nd and longs thanks to Bighill's run stopping and coverage which should help the rush. But primarily we need guys like Okpaulaugo, Jeffcoat and Roh to give us more edge pressure and the middle of the line to eat up more blocks than we saw last year. I think having Johnson as an everygame starter is a MUCH bigger deal to the pass rush than Bighill since Johnson has shown to be a pass rush force from the middle but was often rotating often or not dressed due to the ratio on D last year. Hopefully Roh will help. Chorney is in his 3rd year it's time for him to step up. These are more important factors than Bighill in terms of pass rush, IMO.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The pessimist in me is concerned that we are taking a bunch of castoffs (Roh, Clarke, Gaitor, Fenner) from the team that finished last in the division last year (B.C.)

That, and all of our good players (except for Leggett, Loffler, and Goossen and Chungh) have come from other CFL teams (Adams, Dressler, Harris, Nichols, Bryant, Bighill come to mind) but I guess this isn’t like the NHL and you can actually build your team through free agency (I would argue it’s more important than the draft, really)

That being said, all those players from other teams (including the BC guys) look good.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Well it's not over but it's looking more and more like Drew Willy will be the starting QB for the Als. You know sometimes I do wish the Bombers were still in the easy east.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The only concerning spots to me are OL and QB. There's not a lot of depth. I'm not a fan of Neufeld. He's never played consistently well at guard. His best run in the league was in his first full season as a Bomber in 2014 when he played RT before he was injured, which has been a consistent problem for him since he snapped his tib-fib with Sask. He was alright in spot duty last year. The big switch that turned the Bombers O from crap to good was Nichols in for Willy, and Bond in for Neufeld in 2016. Happened the same week and the Bombers have been a top 3 team in the league since with a strong run game and strong pass protection as well. Couture is decent, Spooner is still young. I think it's quite possible the Bombers end up playing 3 imports on the OL at some point this season. I just hope it's not after Nichols gets injured.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Well it's not over but it's looking more and more like Drew Willy will be the starting QB for the Als. You know sometimes I do wish the Bombers were still in the easy east.

Joe Mack's scouting at work :laugh:

I hope Kavis Reed is visible enough as "GM" that we get to see his inevitable meltdown.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Joe Mack's scouting at work :laugh:

I hope Kavis Reed is visible enough as "GM" that we get to see his inevitable meltdown.

Drew Willy was fine until he got rocked 5-10 times per game. Then he was too scared to do anything

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
looking at getting tickets to the Bombers vs Argos game. haven't been to a CFL game in a few years

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
With the rumors that the Bombers are over the cap and need to cut a significant player, who is on that short list?

I’m looking at Dressler. They seem to be raving about the recievers brought in this year. If true that Dressler is earning near the 200k mark for all his injuries and unspectacular play I wouldn’t mind seeing him go. He’s a good receiver but not great.

Reactions: Jets 31

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Drew Willy was fine until he got rocked 5-10 times per game. Then he was too scared to do anything

I really feel like Buck and Drew were screwed by the Bombers. hung out to dry with O-Lines that looked like revolving doors. watched them both have their careers cut short by bad management....

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The only concerning spots to me are OL and QB. There's not a lot of depth. I'm not a fan of Neufeld. He's never played consistently well at guard. His best run in the league was in his first full season as a Bomber in 2014 when he played RT before he was injured, which has been a consistent problem for him since he snapped his tib-fib with Sask. He was alright in spot duty last year. The big switch that turned the Bombers O from crap to good was Nichols in for Willy, and Bond in for Neufeld in 2016. Happened the same week and the Bombers have been a top 3 team in the league since with a strong run game and strong pass protection as well. Couture is decent, Spooner is still young. I think it's quite possible the Bombers end up playing 3 imports on the OL at some point this season. I just hope it's not after Nichols gets injured.

Neufeld looked fine late in the year last year. They ended up starting him over a healthy Bond near the end of the year. Couture and Spooner have never really had a chance to date yet so they are options as well. I think it's incredibly unlikely they move to 3 internationals along the o-line. They don't have any international guards in camp, and there's just nowhere else they can move another international into the starting lineup. Bond was nice to stabilize a young line two years ago, but the development of Chung and Goossen has really helped out to make the line better. Not too mention Nichols release being so much quicker than Willy has also helped.

With the rumors that the Bombers are over the cap and need to cut a significant player, who is on that short list?

I’m looking at Dressler. They seem to be raving about the recievers brought in this year. If true that Dressler is earning near the 200k mark for all his injuries and unspectacular play I wouldn’t mind seeing him go. He’s a good receiver but not great.

I had thought that Wild was going to be cap casualty. But apparently he does not make very much money. It's impossible to know exactly where the money is at the moment. Durant's salary has certainly helped. We'll just have to wait and see. They obviously have a plan since they even managed to find room to bring back Jake Thomas after Bighill.

They rave every year about the receivers brought on, I don't read too much into it. L'Damien Washington was the one getting the rave reviews last year. Dressler is a real quality slot guy I don't think he'll end up cut. There's been little talk of that and he's been lining up with the #1's all camp.

I really feel like Buck and Drew were screwed by the Bombers. hung out to dry with O-Lines that looked like revolving doors. watched them both have their careers cut short by bad management....

Buck Pierce came to Winnipeg as a known injury prone guy. He actually did better injury wise in Winnipeg than he did in BC.

Drew Willy certainly had some flashes that I liked, but you go back and watch and alot of the problems are his own fault. He is very slow to release the ball. He had really good deep arm strength, but his release was really slow. He did develop "happy feet" in pocket later on in his Winnipeg days and the so-so o-line did not help, but I don't think it was the Bombers fault completely and I doubt he does much better elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad