Blow this team up already!

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
It's best to just start from scratch. You can't leave any remnants of this shit show around to infect whatever new group you put together. It's like pulling a weed, you have to get all the roots or else it will just grow back.
Or just cover it with rubber mulch

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Series would have been over if Woll started and stayed healthy, even with the Matthews and Nylander injuries

With Woll's durability being what it is, I'm sure he would have just hurt himself at a different point in the timeline putting us at the mercy of Sammy - who wasn't even especially bad relative to the no show of the big contracts.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Total nonsense, you need your stars to show up, this was the toughest team we've iced in a long time and it didn't do shit.

Here is 44 million:
1 goal 2 assists
3 goals
1 goal 3 assists
1 goal 1 assist

If you include Rielly at 52 million total our best 5 players had 9 assists and 5 goals for 15 points AMONG 5 PLAYERS in 30 games.

You can't spend 66% of the salary cap for .5ppg when adding your core's ppg.

ZACH HYMAN had MORE GOALS than ALL of them combined, McDavid and Draisitl had 24 points in 10 games.
More accurately - 37 million produced 3 goals in 19 games, 7 million produced 3 goals in 4 games.

Or - two of them produced 4 goals and 3 assists in 9 games, the other two produced 2 goals and 3 assists in 14 games.

Is it fair to lump them all together?

Reactions: freshwind

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Here’s my team construction rant for the night:

We need to prioritize puck moving dmen on this team going forward. What we’ve seen in the last number of years from our deadline deals we can always go out and get the tough defensive types but I think one of this team’s biggest issues is that we don’t have enough defensemen that move the puck well.

Bruins entire d-core aside from maybe Carlo moves the puck very well. Watching Colorado’s defense out there is like watching a different sport compared to Toronto.

Toronto has Rielly, Liljegren, and McCabe to an extent that can move the puck well. And you need Benoit/Edmundson types in there because they do a good job of stopping plays but especially with Liljegren out it was obvious that they couldn’t transition the play into anything offensive after they kill bruins’ rushes or cycles. Lyabushkin looked like he was handling a grenade most nights.

They need to prioritize guys who can support their offensive talent up front. And they can fill in the other needs easier. Maybe put Liljegren on that top pp unit too. We have a lot of passers but it would be nice to have a guy with a big shot up top. He has that.

Great post... although what I think really need, is defenceman that can do both.

Take the Edmundson-Liljegren pair. You'd have Edmundson who did not have the skill with the puck to make an efficient breakout, and Liljegren who the bigger Boston forwards targetted (and often beat) physically. It's why a guy like Lindholm was so efffective.

Ultimately, the way I see it, McCabe has both of those qualities, along with a nasty tone-setting edge... and a guy like Simon Benoit has his place, but probably not at the same time as Joel Edmundson.

Every defence pair the Leafs iced typically had at least 1 player who handled the puck like a grenade... and in the case of McCabe, I recally quite a few moments where he wasn't able to make a proper and efficient play because he was on the off-side.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Great post... although what I think really need, is defenceman that can do both.

Take the Edmundson-Liljegren pair. You'd have Edmundson who did not have the skill with the puck to make an efficient breakout, and Liljegren who the bigger Boston forwards targetted (and often beat) physically. It's why a guy like Lindholm was so efffective.

Ultimately, the way I see it, McCabe has both of those qualities, along with a nasty tone-setting edge... and a guy like Simon Benoit has his place, but probably not at the same time as Joel Edmundson.

Every defence pair the Leafs iced typically had at least 1 player who handled the puck like a grenade... and in the case of McCabe, I recally quite a few moments where he wasn't able to make a proper and efficient play because he was on the off-side.
Benoit was terrific.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
For his cap hit sure but he wasn't as good as the regular season but I guess since he hits we over look it
Other than Nylander and Woll, was anyone as good as in the regular season?

Playoffs are a different beast.

Reactions: arso40

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I better wake up to someone’s ass being fired no later than tomorrow. It should’ve happened already.
blues-brothers-john-belushi.gif

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Seravelli has some good insight

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Someone needs to start answering some god damn questions around here.

To Tavares: "Why shouldn't you be stripped of your "C" after failing to lead this team deep into the playoffs yet again?"

To Marner "why shouldn't you get traded when you have done nothing, NOTHING, in the postseason every year when the series is on the line?"

To Matthews "why shouldn't we trade a typical greedy American drunken woman bullier who can't score goals when it matters most?"

To Rielly "why should the team keep the friendship circle holding hands when you have failed so many times already?"

To Keefe "why should you get another chance when you already lost to everyone there is. From the best, to the worst, to the best again you LOST. Why should you get another chance?"

To Shanahan "you pissed away the rebuild. Why in God's good name should you be kept around? Give me one reason, one good reason, why you shouldn't be fired too?"

Someone answer some f***ing questions.
lol

Have you given some thought about what questions you should be asking yourself?

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
I would not be giving Marner a contract extension of 10 Mil and up. The money will be better served on getting more players to support Matthews and Nylander. Also say goodbye to Samsonov, need a veteran goalie to help support Woll if he takes over the net fulltime next season (but he needs to be in better condition)

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
In effect, this was the first of two development years after Lou Lams rebuild - ignore the previous wasted five years, not much to glean from that circus.

Matty and Willy are the game breakers that will lead the forward group. Surround them with gamers like Domi, and Bert, and some young guys like Knies and hopefully Cowan soon.

Defense was solid, just add skill to the current program after freeing up some cap. Need to land a couple big fish.

Let Sammy go, keep Woll, and try to find him a tandem partner. Best available.

Fire Keefer.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
More accurately - 37 million produced 3 goals in 19 games, 7 million produced 3 goals in 4 games.

Or - two of them produced 4 goals and 3 assists in 9 games, the other two produced 2 goals and 3 assists in 14 games.

Is it fair to lump them all together?
That is not true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad