Proposal: Blockbuster: MTL + L.A. + S.J. (edited)

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You can't force guys on LTIR. This is up to Gallagher. Yeah, he has a lot of milage but expecting it to be another Price or Weber is hope. He's signed till age 34, not 36+

Dubois's contract is worse. And no, it's not for free. We are taking a possible even worse anchor contract with Dubois and also giving up the 26th pick in this next draft.

Most Habs fans decline this idea.
Gallagher will be forced to Robidas island as soon as we need the cap space. Wether he likes it or not.

I'm sure the giu wpuld rather stay home then play in the AHL

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gallagher will be forced to Robidas island as soon as we need the cap space. Wether he likes it or not.

I'm sure the giu wpuld rather stay home then play in the AHL

Nope. Going on LTIR is up to the player and their injuries. Gallagher is signed till age 34 and if he wants to play it out, he can and will.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Do you think you should be able to dump Anderson and Gallagher on a third team for free?

I don't see the point in dumping them at all. It's particularly pointless when they would surrender a first round pick and take on an enormous anchor and distraction in the process.

It would be idiotic.

Reactions: HabsAddict

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
You can't force guys on LTIR. This is up to Gallagher. Yeah, he has a lot of milage but expecting it to be another Price or Weber is hope. He's signed till age 34, not 36+
"Force" is a strong word, but if they want to move on and there are no takers - which there won't be now that Arizona has moved to Utah - I can certainly see an ultimatum.

He gets paid to cheer from box or afar. Club reclaims the cap space. Outside chance the buy him out before the 26-27 season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
"Force" is a strong word, but if they want to move on and there are no takers - which there won't be now that Arizona has moved to Utah - I can certainly see an ultimatum.

He gets paid to cheer from box or afar. Club reclaims the cap space. Outside chance the buy him out before the 26-27 season.

I felt he had an OK season this past year. Better 2nd half or last 1/3. I hope he is open to going on LTIR but I'm doubtful. This is not a 36+ contract. He's signed till age 34. Certainly not worth his cap hit but he's still going to show up. It's Gallagher bud... lots of pride in this man.

Only way I see him going on LTIR is if he gets worse on the ice in the next 3 seasons, and then the doctors can use the usage/mileage card to get the LTIR approval. You know insurance companies will investigate too right? Has to be valid reasons.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Dubois's contract is worse. And no, it's not for free. We are taking a possible even worse anchor contract with Dubois and also giving up the 26th pick in this next draft.

Most Habs fans decline this idea.
I agree that Dubois' contract is worse and that LA should be paying Montreal significantly more to make something like this happen but if the two sides are going to get a 3rd team involved to take on Anderson and Gallagher and their 35 mil over 3 years combined, it's going to cost a hell of a lot more than the 26th pick. Chances are this sort of arrangement is going to be handled by the two teams. Dubois at 7.5 mil and a 1st for Anderson, Dvorak, and like a 3rd in 2025.
I don't see the point in dumping them at all. It's particularly pointless when they would surrender a first round pick and take on an enormous anchor and distraction in the process.

It would be idiotic.
I agree which is why a 3rd team makes no sense when LA should be paying Montreal for Dubois and if Montreal is then going to have to dump contracts, they'd have to pay a 3rd team. If LA is that desperate to get out of Dubois' deal, they're going to have to pay a team like Montreal while taking back contracts on their own to make it work and then work out the acquired dumps how they see fit to get what they want.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I felt he had an OK season this past year. Better 2nd half or last 1/3. I hope he is open to going on LTIR but I'm doubtful. This is not a 36+ contract. He's signed till age 34. Certainly not worth his cap hit but he's still going to show up. It's Gallagher bud... lots of pride in this man.

Only way I see him going on LTIR is if he gets worse on the ice in the next 3 seasons, and then the doctors can use the usage/mileage card to get the LTIR approval. You know insurance companies will investigate too right? Has to be valid reasons.
Of course. If the Hawks can get out of Hossa's contract by citing an allergic reaction to his gloves/gear, I feel as though Montreal are capable of coming up with something if it comes to that.

He and Armia had strong final quarters. No question. I don't see it extending into next year. I don't see that sort of production happening during a meaningful portion of the schedule.

The club is not that far removed from being in a position to better use that salary. End of 24-25 is a definite possibility. They won't buy out two years.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Of course. If the Hawks can get out of Hossa's contract by citing an allergic reaction to his gloves/gear, I feel as though Montreal are capable of coming up with something if it comes to that.

He and Armia had strong final quarters. No question. I don't see it extending into next year. I don't see that sort of production happening during a meaningful portion of the schedule.

The club is not that far removed from being in a position to better use that salary. End of 24-25 is a definite possibility. They won't buy out two years.
One more puck to the hands, either one, and Gally will be done..............that said we don't want that, but the guy can barely keep up to the kids in the league now. Something will have to give.
He did finish strong, which is great but not really a predicator to next season, because he is more than likely on the 3rd or 4th line, with very limited PP time.

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't like how far Ghally has dropped but he's still a billion miles above Donkey. He's still a warrior at heart, but the body says otherwise.

As the Habs get stronger up front, he's going to have less pressure on him so i see him still in the lineup as a 3-4 liner. He does know how to play the 200 ft game so he's not going to hurt us.

Meanwhile the kids are going to try to eat his lunch, breakfast, cake...

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
BTW...i really hate to see the Dinkey on the Habs...but if he is bought out, i would give him one last chance on a one year try out contract. Did i mention LAST chance.

If he has any arrogance and laziness left in him after 3 strikeouts and a buyout, he's never going to reform. But maybe, just maybe he got the message. Or not...

It wouldn't matter for us because on a few million contract, we just send him in the stands to make paper airplanes....

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
EDIT: Granlund has been removed from the deal, and replaced with a 7th rd pick

EDIT #2: Dvorak has been added to the deal

Habs --> #26, Gallagher, Anderson, Dvorak
Habs <-- Dubois

Kings --> #21, Dubois
Kings <-- S.J.'s '24 7th, Dvorak

Sharks --> '24 7th
Sharks <-- #21, #26, Gallagher, Anderson

Montreal fill a position of need with a pretty significant upgrade in talent at C while also creating 8 million in additional cap space

Los Angeles get out from under Dubois' long term contract while also creating 4.5 million in additional cap space

San Jose add a pair of 1st round picks for simply taking on some of the salary they'll need anyways in order to reach the cap floor in the coming seasons
So Habs cough up a 1st in a trade for Dubois? Why?

Habs can wait out Gallagher/Anderson's contracts, hold onto their 1st and not have to take on an epic cluster of a capdump. Habs have zero reason to pay to dump Gally/Anderson's contracts while they are rebuilding.

Reactions: viceroy

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

You understand that the league actually verifies the extent of the injury when ltir is used right? And that the players have a union? This idea that teams can just choose to put an uninjured player on LTIR is a myth. That said this deal is remarkably bad for Montreal. It's not something Hughes would ever consider

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
So Habs cough up a 1st in a trade for Dubois? Why?

Habs can wait out Gallagher/Anderson's contracts, hold onto their 1st and not have to take on an epic cluster of a capdump. Habs have zero reason to pay to dump Gally/Anderson's contracts while they are rebuilding.
I already listed the merits of the deal in the OP that you quoted

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I already listed the merits of the deal in the OP that you quoted
And the counter argument is the Habs acquired a complete cancer who is overpaid in a market that exacerbates these issues. And on top of it, they are mired with his caphit during the years when the Habs will be competing in the playoffs.

Habs have zero reason to take that risk and on top of it, cough up a 1st round pick. That is ridiculous.

Habs simply playout Gally / Josh contracts then use the money to help improve the team when the rebuild should be over.

Reactions: viceroy

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
One more puck to the hands, either one, and Gally will be done..............that said we don't want that, but the guy can barely keep up to the kids in the league now. Something will have to give.
He did finish strong, which is great but not really a predicator to next season, because he is more than likely on the 3rd or 4th line, with very limited PP time.
His first half of year was really painful to watch. He couldn't keep up mentally or physically.

You understand that the league actually verifies the extent of the injury when ltir is used right? And that the players have a union? This idea that teams can just choose to put an uninjured player on LTIR is a myth. That said this deal is remarkably bad for Montreal. It's not something Hughes would ever consider
Sure am. Like I said in another post, if the Hawks can rid themselves of Hossa over a sudden onset skin allergy to hockey gloves/equipment, then I'm sure the Habs can find a way.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
His first half of year was really painful to watch. He couldn't keep up mentally or physically.

Sure am. Like I said in another post, if the Hawks can rid themselves of Hossa over a sudden onset skin allergy to hockey gloves/equipment, then I'm sure the Habs can find a way.

Hossa's condition was examined and verified by an independent doctor. If you read what he went through with that condition you'll be horrified. Take a few minutes and educate yourself. There was nothing shadey about what Chicago did. And that coming from someone who hates the Chicago franchise.

Reactions: CTHabsfan

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Hossa's condition was examined and verified by an independent doctor. If you read what he went through with that condition you'll be horrified. Take a few minutes and educate yourself. There was nothing shadey about what Chicago did. And that coming from someone who hates the Chicago franchise.
There's always a way.

A Loyal Dog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Wow, lmao, now you even added Dvorak to the deal? Do you want MTL to trade all their players along with a 1st round pick to pick up a player nobody wants for 7 years?

Reactions: Neutrinos

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
  • Montreal dodged this bullet already.
  • Hughes has implied they're prepared to go with the centers they have.
  • There's only one more year of Dvorak to deal with.
  • Gallagher, while having finished the season well, most likely finishes his career on LTIRetirement.
  • While getting rid of Gallagher and Anderson would be nice, taking on a cancer to do it is not in keeping with what HuGo are trying to build.

It's not that farfetched to think they'll put him on LTIRetirement before the deal ends.
A year ago nobody would take Armia. Now we can a 3rd, maybe a 2nd. Gallagher and Anderson could bounce back also.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
There are no merits of this deal for Montreal and San Jose.
Google the definition of "merit" and see if 8 million in additional cap space would qualify as such

Then apply the same definition to the Sharks adding a pair of 1st rd picks

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

The Hawks didn't "get out of Hossa's contract" by "citing" anything.

People are woefully ignorant about how LTIR works. In order for a player to go on LTIR and end their career, there's an enormous amount of insured money involved. Their are team doctors, league doctors and then independent medical professionals the insurance company brings in when the figures are in the tens of millions of dollars.

The notion that all of these doctors commit fraud to help the Chicago Blackhawks salary cap is so dumb it hardly warrants a response.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Respectfully, you don't know what you're talking about.

It wasn't "sudden." Hossa dealt with the eczema the last four years of his career. Hossa got rashes that were so itchy he scratched his skin raw and slept in blood stained sheets. Hossa stopped attending team dinners and had room service alone in his room because he was either bleeding through his clothing or bathed in stinky ointments and wraps. He nearly missed the 2016 World Cup of Hockey due to a particularly nasty flare up. The league was also not only aware of this, but actually sent Hossa to a doctor with no affiliation to the Blackhawks over concerns with the medication the he was taking in order to continue playing in his final season. The doctor told Hossa that if he continued to take the cocktail of medications he was on that it would begin to affect his body like chemotherapy. He made the only decision he really could and had to walk away from the game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad