Bleacher Report blogger says that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents, not considered a winning organization

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Wait what? Players in the NBA don't work hard?
Correct. Have you seen the half assing when the coach hurts their feelings, or the lame injuries guys sit out with?

Maybe intensity or mentality would've been a better word choice, but you get the point

Reactions: PaulD

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Correct. Have you seen the half assing when the coach hurts their feelings, or the lame injuries guys sit out with?

Maybe intensity or mentality would've been a better word choice, but you get the point
Yeah I think I do get the point.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Of course they dont - who would want to join a market thats devoid of success but with the expectations of a dynasty?

I listen to clips of the SDPN podcast sometimes - and it was never more evident how toxic Toronto is with hockey than when the Keefe comments about 'joining the real NHL' got back to Canada

Every outlet was saying how if it wasnt for Toronto and their money and fans, so on and so on...

Its an elitist mentality tied to a relegation-worthy club

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Of course they dont - who would want to join a market thats devoid of success but with the expectations of a dynasty?

I listen to clips of the SDPN podcast sometimes - and it was never more evident how toxic Toronto is with hockey than when the Keefe comments about 'joining the real NHL' got back to Canada

Every outlet was saying how if it wasnt for Toronto and their money and fans, so on and so on...

Its an elitist mentality tied to a relegation-worthy club
Yes, send Matthews and the Leafs to the AHL.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Then your stuck with the cap hit.
Unless you think, he gets LTIR, and somehow gets a couple of independent doctors to sign off on it every October.
Likely different doctors each time, as well.
Of course it's kind of pointless to speculate what could happen with any contract beyond 25-26 because until a new CBA is signed, we really don't know what a Teams options will be.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I don’t know. Contract structure can be huge in weighing contracts.

Toronto still has the ability to go heavy on SB’s

I don’t think any team is even close to TO on July 1st

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I know there have been some posters who claim "anonymity" is a huge factor for players who sign with teams in the US instead of Canada, but it isn't even anonymity. Players on Sun Belt teams are going to get recognized when they go out. What isn't likely to happen is what I put in bold in your post. In those cities, no one is going to write a bullshit story about how a player has a hotdog diet, for instance. It isn't about anonymity really, but I'm sure it's a lot nicer to not be constantly, unfairly maligned by assholes who get paid to sit on their asses and write op-ed columns.
Or whose player's mom gets harassed about the injury status of her son.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
50% of NHL teams make the playoffs.

I would think a relegation line would be tied to something more significant...like President's Trophy contention/SC finals appearances.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

If you want him or everyone else to get the point, you have to use the right words...

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Modern Penguins never appealed to free agents and they won 3 cups since 2009.

Think about it. Who's the biggest free agent that the Penguins have signed? Paul Martin? And he didn't even win anything here.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
With no or a soft salary cap, Toronto would be as good a free agent destination as any. Unless players are die hard fans of the franchise or want to be around family living in the area, there's little incentive for them to sign for the Leafs as it is.

A lot of the major cities in Canada have been transformed into open air dumps recently as well. There's absolutely no reason for an outsider or even a Canadian to choose this country over USA in 2024.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad