Bleacher Report blogger says that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents, not considered a winning organization

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
What? A headcase? Happened to be in Florida…lol no. He played a solid role. Tanev is on the back end, but you’re out of your mind if you think he wasn’t wanted elsewhere. Maybe he would’ve gotten less, but he still went.
Tanev will have the worst stretch of his career in Toronto.
OEL - eventually thrown to leaf nation wolves, eaten alive. 😉

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So essentially what I’ve been saying for years. Winning just doesn’t happen in Leaf’s land, hasn’t since 1967.

Even Pajama boys like Skinner are starting to realize it. And ROR before him. The Core 4 hype job was able to convince free agents before that it was not a matter of if but how many cups they’d win. But now that narrative has been outted as a scam job. McDavid won’t be dumb enough to fall for it either.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Looks like the NHL offseason universe also revolves around the Leafs. Players choose between options in free agency all the time, guess it's breaking news to some folks here. I can't really (off the top of my head) name a marquee can't miss free agent in a position of need that I would have overpaid for anyway, so if this conversation is about third line centers or flash in the pan second pair Dmen, then it's a useless one. If Skinner is your example, thats the "winner" they're supposed to sign?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
People definitely thought Toronto would be well-positioned to win when they had a young core of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly. Around 2017-19 they were considered a team with as good of a future outlook as any in the league. This a time before repeated playoff failures with the core. It's revisionist to say otherwise and referencing the long cup drought as a reason they weren't considered upcoming contenders is just memeing.
There's a difference between "promising future" and "winning organization". Sure, you could argue the Leafs at that time fell into the first category when all their youngsters were just starting out. But to be a "winning organization" you have to have a track record of *winning*.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Tanev will have the worst stretch of his career in Toronto.
OEL will get eventually thrown to the leaf nation wolves to be eaten alive. 😉
Probably, but they still attracted a big target and a guy who saw firsthand what it takes.

Their core needs to take the next step and push through in the playoffs or they’re stuck. I’m a-ok with them not winning and I’ve not enjoyed plenty of their fans, both here and in person, but it’s incredible for those great fans that I’ve met.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Probably, but they still attracted a big target and a guy who saw firsthand what it takes.

Their core needs to take the next step and push through in the playoffs or they’re stuck. I’m a-ok with them not winning and I’ve not enjoyed plenty of their fans, both here and in person, but it’s incredible for those great fans that I’ve met.
What is" incredible" ?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

“Attracted” by offering term and money no one else was offering, for an aging, decrepit, defence man with knee/leg issues.

What is" incredible" ?
Delusions of leaf fans.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It's none of these things imo. It's the insane Hollywood-Borderlining-Politicalized media attention the franchise and players get. You're not under a microscope in Toronto, you're under a goddamn telescope. That kind of attention does weird things to people and heavily distracts from focusing on playing hockey because well, that's why you're there.

The Leafs should figure out a way of shielding players from this. Media attention is great for relevance but you got to deflect all the excess nonsense. You don't see that level of media insanity here in California.

On paper the Leafs should be a team you'd fear to play. Watching them play, and this is my own opinion, they lack the core values of a team looking to win it all - the hunger, the resolve, the actual teamwork. Making tens of millions of dollars without some sort of performance balance to it is probably a lot of the why, though.

And I'm one of those people who would love to see the Leafs hoist the Cup, so I'm definitely not against them.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Jeff Skinner, the ultimate winner in the NHL (the guy with the record of most games played while never making the playoffs) chose not to sign with Toronto because they are not a winner...... He's just great at identifying winning organizations because he's been with so many....
Think it was Skinner, Henrique, Montour and Zadorov who we missed out on, despite not all of them being smart adds at their current deals

Leafs were a medicore destination from 06 to 16 then became hot and got some big name UFAs in Marleau, Tavares, Brodie, Bertuzzi in current contention period

This year we got tanev and OEL who were more middle tier guys then what we would be able to find in the past.

I can see why players would want to avoid Toronto as there is stigma with the core, high expectations still, poor management and ownership, and tough route to winning with atlantic having better teams than Toronto

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
“Attracted” by offering term and money no one else was offering, for an aging, decrepit, defence man with knee/leg issues.

Delusions of leaf fans.
Ok, but other teams have done the same. I’m not saying Toronto isn’t a troublesome spot and doesn’t struggle getting premier players to sign, but Tanev was still wanted by plenty of teams.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
How can you not love Steve Dangle?

As far as Toronto, at what point were they considered a winning organization?

Toronto’s big advantage has always been their wealth. They could add on extra years the player was never gonna play, they could put half a roster on LTIR without blinking, etc.

Nobody outside of maybe Tavares or the husk of Spezza has taken less to play in Toronto, and neither did it cause of the ‘winning’. They did it cause of emotional ties to the city.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Comes up almost weekly in news feeds. Vancouver and Toronto are WAY more expensive to live in than the vast majority of cities in the NHL. It's not just the housing, but the tax rates are also very high. Also things like Mortgage interest not being deductible like in the US.

Alright but is there any support for that? Because when you google it, it doesn’t come out that way.

I’m not downloading the eiu report but they have Montreal as the most expensive city in Canada but only 25th in North America.

So what are you looking at that says different?

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
So essentially what I’ve been saying for years. Winning just doesn’t happen in Leaf’s land, hasn’t since 1967.

Even Pajama boys like Skinner are starting to realize it. And ROR before him. The Core 4 hype job was able to convince free agents before that it was not a matter of if but how many cups they’d win. But now that narrative has been outted as a scam job. McDavid won’t be dumb enough to fall for it either.
Rent free in your pea brain even in July

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
The best D on the market was probably Montour. Then it was Pesce. Then Skjei. Then Zadorov. Then I'd probably have Tanev a bit ahead of Sean Walker, who came apart in the playoffs.

Tanev's deal was probably the riskiest of all of them due to the likelihood of regression. I'm not a fan of the Montour deal in terms of cost, but they have a clear need of a puckmover and he fits there like a glove.

OEL was a tremendous add though.
Of this list only Pesce is better currently imo ( if he’s healthy ) .

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

I don’t expect that Mcdavid will reach ufa but if does Toronto would absolutely be a big consideration

• Haha
Reactions: dukeofjive

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
“Team that has spent all of its money on high end offensive players and fails repeatedly in playoffs not an interesting destination to FAs, more at 11”

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad