Bleacher Report blogger says that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents, not considered a winning organization

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Chris Johnston also provided insight into Skinner’s decision, saying that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents with the franchise not considered a winning organization across the league.

Do you agree or disagree? I also saw an article the other day on why Stamkos rejected to sign with Toronto this summer.

Starts at 27:32

More in detail here.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
no longer? they haven't won in 55 years lol

guess it was too early to plan those parades though
First thing I thought. When *was* it a winning organization?

I don't think "we have a chance at a Cup" was ever a reason a player signed in Toronto as a free agent. At least not anyone who actually meant it and wasn't just giving platitudes to appease the fanbase.

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
First thing I thought. When *was* it a winning organization?

I don't think "we have a chance at a Cup" was ever a reason a player signed in Toronto as a free agent. At least not anyone who actually meant it and wasn't just giving platitudes to appease the fanbase.
People definitely thought Toronto would be well-positioned to win when they had a young core of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly. Around 2017-19 they were considered a team with as good of a future outlook as any in the league. This a time before repeated playoff failures with the core. It's revisionist to say otherwise and referencing the long cup drought as a reason they weren't considered upcoming contenders is just memeing.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Players get paid in USD. That’s a 30 percent bump against the Canadian dollar. Means it’s really f***ing cheap for them in Canada

This would be true if Canadian products were priced at the same number as American products. 1 million doesn’t get you the same size house in Toronto that 1 million gets you in Carolina or Texas, it’s not close even if you add a 30% bonus onto the Toronto budget. Pick any grocery store product and it’s probably more than 30% more expensive in Toronto than most American cities.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Besides Tavares has any top tier UFA signed there? I think not this isn't news. Players want anonymity and they get it in the USA with nicer weather and lower taxes as a bonus sometimes.
Only a few states in the US has that big of a tax difference. Only few that don't have an income tax. Not all states/cities have a jock tax either in the US. Washington state has no income tax and yet Seattle isn't exactly a prime destination yet why cause its not a cup contending team yet. I could argue toronto has a better chance for a player to win a cup than Seattle does.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Only a few states in the US has that big of a tax difference. Only few that don't have an income tax. Not all states/cities have a jock tax either in the US. Washington state has no income tax and yet Seattle isn't exactly a prime destination yet why cause its not a cup contending team yet. I could argue toronto has a better chance for a player to win a cup than Seattle does.
Again main factor is anonymity and I suppose way less pressure. The other things are a bonus like weather and taxes and I agree they don't get the weather taxes everywhere in USA but they do get the anonymity pretty much anywhere in USA.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Montour just took Seattle over Toronto….

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Chris Johnston also provided insight into Skinner’s decision, saying that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents with the franchise not considered a winning organization across the league.

Do you agree or disagree? I also saw an article the other day on why Stamkos rejected to sign with Toronto this summer.

Starts at 27:32

What were the other team's that Skinner "snubbed"?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Montour just took Seattle over Toronto….

And yet Stephenson was the best we can sign to try to upgrade our forwards and Seattle got criticized for giving Stephenson that contract. There were others i wanted instead but they ended up either re-signing or signing with some other team. Trying to get elite top 6 forwards at FA with out really over paying or try to trade for one and have that player actually want to re-sign with said team is going to be difficult if the team isn't a cup contender.

If we want to want people to want to come here, we have to overpay to get them to want to come here despite not being close to being legit cup contenders. I think in some cases players rather sign with a cup contender than sign with a team that isn't close to being exactly that.

Montour just won the cup and probably wants to do what's best for his family. He could have easily just sign with some other US team.

Regarding the leafs. Auston Matthews re-signed with them, so did Nylander.

So no idea why Chris Johnston think there is no "appeal" with the leafs. Matthews could have easily decided to not re-signed and walked one he's a UFA. Same with Nylander.

I think Johnston is just looking for something to talk about and its so easy to trash the leafs.

Also what exactly is a winning organization is subjective and up to interpretation. The cup is very very difficult to win especially with a salary cap.

A player signing at FA to some other "winning organization" team doesn't increase his chances at the cup as much as signing with the leafs does.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
That can change quickly - an example is how Vancouver turned things around quickly with many of the same players. New coach and GM and some roster tweaks

I don’t buy that weather is a major concern. Look at other leagues like the NBA or MLB. The Yankees and Red Sox or Celtics and Knicks. If those teams are winning guys want to play there. The weather doesn’t seem like it’s a concern for most.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad