Blackhawks media thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you subscribe to The Athletic?

• Total voters

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Pretty much this.

Personally I think he should swallow his pride, because being a 1st line winger is far more prestigious than a 3C. I also don't think playing with third line talent suits his ability. He synergizes much better with other cerebral and elite talent like Kane.

I'm not sure why he's hung up on the center thing. Maybe because he's been one his whole life. However there's nothing stopping him from being a great winger but himself.

Yep. If he can just get over the whole thing, it would really help this team.

Maybe a one year deal is best for both sides at this point. Hawks get to see if he can get over himself and play a top-6 wing role, and Strome can leave after the season if he really does hate wing and would rather be a center somewhere else.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
On the Score, Matt Speigel was recently talking about the Dach injury. While I agreed that there was no one to blame for this and that it was just unlucky, Spiegel incorrectly stated that it was Dach's decision and that the Hawks couldn't stop him from playing. Then, he stated that these are the types of events which result in friendships and alliances that result in free agent super teams like the NBA. Obviously, we know both of these ideas are wrong. Now I like Spiegel and hope he gets the full-time partner gig with Danny Parkins, but this is some brutal Hawks coverage. I have never known why some Hawk fans want sports talk show hosts to talk about hockey when they know so little about it. Stick to baseball, basketball, and football. I'll get my hockey fix elsewhere.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
On the Score, Matt Speigel was recently talking about the Dach injury. While I agreed that there was no one to blame for this and that it was just unlucky, Spiegel incorrectly stated that it was Dach's decision and that the Hawks couldn't stop him from playing. Then, he stated that these are the types of events which result in friendships and alliances that result in free agent super teams like the NBA. Obviously, we know both of these ideas are wrong. Now I like Spiegel and hope he gets the full-time partner gig with Danny Parkins, but this is some brutal Hawks coverage. I have never known why some Hawk fans want sports talk show hosts to talk about hockey when they know so little about it. Stick to baseball, basketball, and football. I'll get my hockey fix elsewhere.

It was his choice but the Hawks could have said no.

NBA and NHL are not alike in the super team sense. Those pre lockout Wings teams tried and it.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
New Blackhawks Talk podcast with Stan Bowman. Just starting a listen.
Link for those interested:
Podcast: Exclusive 1-on-1 with Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman

A PRETTY SOLID SUMMARY:
  • Toews has been dealing with this issue for a while
  • Hawks "not quite sure what is ailing him at the moment"
  • Regarding Dach going to WJC, Hawks liked him being in leadership role
  • Kirby vocally said he wanted to play
  • Nylander was injured in bubble, which we already knew
  • AN was fine this off-season training until he started skating, which made it uncomfortable
  • Musto's lover is still in contract negotiations
  • Hopeful Strome will be in camp on Sunday, but seems a bit skeptical it'll be resolved that quick
  • Flat Cap seems like it might be playing a role in those negotiations
  • Bowman says no change in Strome's leverage after Toews/Dach injuries
  • Soderberg signing was a need after injuries
  • Likes Carl's versatility, thinks it better to use him in harder roles and younger guys in easier matchups
  • Toews injury has "expedited" the need for more of a team approach
  • Gonna be an underdog mentality to this team
  • Boqvist and Mitchell are expected to play a big role
  • Kurashev, Hagel, Suter namedropped for forward prospects to watch
  • Shaw looks fantastic
  • It's possible that the Hawks would have the 3rd best goalie down in Rockford to get icetime (once the AHL starts back up) and have a lesser goalie who won't likely play sitting in the 'taxi squad'
  • Likely won't shuffle guys between taxi squad to Rockford all that much, in part due to Covid and testing
  • Stan is open to future seasons having multiple games in a row against same team

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Sticking to the new open to talk still good, even if this will probably just be the company owned network pod.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

Gonna continually update this post with summaries of what was said.
  • AN was fine this off-season training until he started skating, which made it uncomfortable
  • Hopeful Strome will be in camp on Sunday, but seems a bit skeptical it'll be resolved that quick
  • Likes Carl's versatility, thinks it better to use him in harder roles and younger guys in easier matchups
  • Shaw looks fantastic
  • It's possible that the Hawks would have the 3rd best goalie down in Rockford to get icetime (once the AHL starts back up) and have a lesser goalie who won't likely play sitting in the 'taxi squad'

Great summary. Was happy to hear Shaw looked good. I have been on record as saying I didn't like that trade but with Toews out, I think he's a good guy to have in that he can play against tougher competition and also he's a veteran presence and the guys seem to love him.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Great summary. Was happy to hear Shaw looked good. I have been on record as saying I didn't like that trade but with Toews out, I think he's a good guy to have in that he can play against tougher competition and also he's a veteran presence and the guys seem to love him.

If Shaw looks good and is ready to go, hard to see him not getting top six minutes with this team. Guessing he’ll be with Kane or DeBrincat pretty much full time.

There’s a decent chance he hits career highs this year if he stays healthy.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

A PRETTY SOLID SUMMARY:
  • Shaw looks fantastic
  • Likely won't shuffle guys between taxi squad to Rockford all that much, in part due to Covid and testing
  • Stan is open to future seasons having multiple games in a row against same team

Thanks for that!

If Toews was dealing with this for quite a while, than his willpower crazy performance against Edmonton is just that much more impressive. Really is a true true captain.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Thanks for that!

If Toews was dealing with this for quite a while, than his willpower crazy performance against Edmonton is just that much more impressive. Really is a true true captain.
Bowman hedged like crazy when asked whether Toews was feeling like this versus Edmonton. My read on it was yes though, but that’s reading between the lines and not direct confirmation from Bowman.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Bowman hedged like crazy when asked whether Toews was feeling like this versus Edmonton. My read on it was yes though, but that’s reading between the lines and not direct confirmation from Bowman.
I felt that too when listening to him. He gave a real non-answer about whether Toews was dealing with it in the bubble.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)

A PRETTY SOLID SUMMARY:
  • Shaw looks fantastic

Thanks for the summary.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
So this is an interesting story. Having read Keith's comments here and in the Athletic, I wouldn't actually characterize them as 'on board' with the rebuild. He was kind of vague about the whole thing and when he says he doesn't really know what a rebuild means, that says he is not on board.

So to this journalist reads his comments as way more positive than I did. My interpretation of what he said was more an acknowledgment that a lot has changed, a statement he's going to keep working hard and trying to wing and an intent to work with the young guys.

I did not hear support for a rebuild.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
I think he understands that the Hawks likely aren't going to do jack, but also realizes that the only way they can improve is via their young guns, so he's okay with taking some of those young defensemen (Boqvist, Mitchell, Kalynuk) under his wing in hopes the future gets brighter.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I think he understands that the Hawks likely aren't going to do jack, but also realizes that the only way they can improve is via their young guns, so he's okay with taking some of those young defensemen (Boqvist, Mitchell, Kalynuk) under his wing in hopes the future gets brighter.

I think you're right, but the tendency towards narrative drives me insane in sports. Laz is the worst but they all do it. It's like every player has to fit into an archetype.

Reactions: Muffinalt

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
So this is an interesting story. Having read Keith's comments here and in the Athletic, I wouldn't actually characterize them as 'on board' with the rebuild. He was kind of vague about the whole thing and when he says he doesn't really know what a rebuild means, that says he is not on board.

So to this journalist reads his comments as way more positive than I did. My interpretation of what he said was more an acknowledgment that a lot has changed, a statement he's going to keep working hard and trying to wing and an intent to work with the young guys.

I did not hear support for a rebuild.

Well it contrasts wasn't there comments Keith made in the past, I'm not sure if reporters or the chicklets where he had the attitude of the NHL isn't where learn and play right away. And was more off-putting in contrast to it being his job to be with young partners vs a vet pairing.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I think you're right, but the tendency towards narrative drives me insane in sports. Laz is the worst but they all do it. It's like every player has to fit into an archetype.

Yeah it's annoying.

Keith strikes me as a true sportsman - not thinking of where things fall and what is what, he just goes out and tries to win and compete. As cliche as that sounds.

He probably doesn't understand the concept of 'lets rebuild' and give up on winning all together. And that's amazing, that's what the young guys need. He's super keen on teaching them though and helping them get their feet wet at the highest level. That much is already evident going back a few years.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Sounds like WGN has a new Blackhawks Live show on Monday nights. They posted the first ep as a podcast with Dylan Strome. The biggest revelation is that Ralph DeBrindog is a fluffy tyrant and is not a fan of Strome's Golden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad