TV: Black Mirror (Channel4(UK)/Netflix)

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Just finished watching each episode.

The Waldo one was definitely my least favourite, wasnt really interested in it at all, didn't really see anything clever going on in it. Entire history of you is definitely my favourite.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I've watched the first four by now and you guys weren't wrong. This is great television. Hard to pick out my favorite so far but I think I'd have to give it to the debut.

The whole episode trumps many thriller movies I've seen. The rest are certainly good but I think the first was hands down the most engaging. My favorite moment so far was the monologue in 15 million merits. That was some powerful acting. I guess HM to Hayley Atwell's sex scene :naughty:

I wish there were more episodes cause I'd binge watch the **** out of it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just finished watching each episode.

The Waldo one was definitely my least favourite, wasnt really interested in it at all, didn't really see anything clever going on in it. Entire history of you is definitely my favourite.

Actually of the four I watched that was pretty much my least favorite. Although that's not saying it was bad. I just thought his obsession over something seemingly innocuous even with that replay tech...just hard to buy into. And then the end. I expected something more explosive. I mean it was a good ending that made sense but with the tension constantly rising I expected something else. But I suppose all the endings have just been intentionally flat, get you thinking kind of ends.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Loved the meaning of 15 Million Merits.
Extremely enjoyed the intensity of White Bear.
My favourite is Entire History of You though because I can see this sort of thing happening more so than the other episodes in the not so far future.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Other than the Christmas special I'm all done
Waldo was the weakest but it was still pretty decent. I just thought it would've been more interesting if Waldo just won the election causing the entire system to go into discord rather than just have [SPOIL]him win later apparently, opening the door for China to take over the world. Which kind of doesn't make sense? Did Waldo spread everywhere but China?[/SPOIL]

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Other than the Christmas special I'm all done
Waldo was the weakest but it was still pretty decent. I just thought it would've been more interesting if Waldo just won the election causing the entire system to go into discord rather than just have [SPOIL]him win later apparently, opening the door for China to take over the world. Which kind of doesn't make sense? Did Waldo spread everywhere but China?[/SPOIL]

It's been a few weeks since I saw the Waldo episode, but that's not really what I took from the ending.

I took it as...

[spoil]The main character, the original Waldo, basically moved far away from England to get away from the "movement" - yet no matter how far he went away, it still found him. I didn't really read into that as China taking over the world. [/spoil]

Maybe I'm wrong though?

Definitely watch the Christmas special. I still think it's my favorite as I reflect on the series.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Be Right Back broke my heart, and at the same time, creeped me out so much.

Came for Hayley Atwell, stayed for the story.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's been a few weeks since I saw the Waldo episode, but that's not really what I took from the ending.

I took it as...

[spoil]The main character, the original Waldo, basically moved far away from England to get away from the "movement" - yet no matter how far he went away, it still found him. I didn't really read into that as China taking over the world. [/spoil]

Maybe I'm wrong though?

Definitely watch the Christmas special. I still think it's my favorite as I reflect on the series.

Hmm. That could be right as well...

No wait. The cops at the end were still clearly british.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Be Right Back broke my heart, and at the same time, creeped me out so much.

Came for Hayley Atwell, stayed for the story.

It seems like I'm the only one that wasnt effected by this one at all.

[spoil]The dudes not real at all, hes a robot. He may not look like one or act like one, but hes just a robot and doesn't have any actual feelings, so I could careless if he was standing in an attic for the rest of his "life"[/spoil]

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
It seems like I'm the only one that wasnt effected by this one at all.

[spoil]The dudes not real at all, hes a robot. He may not look like one or act like one, but hes just a robot and doesn't have any actual feelings, so I could careless if he was standing in an attic for the rest of his "life"[/spoil]

That's not the part that affected me the most.

[spoil]It's the fact that she continues to keep him "alive" for all these years, keeping him in the attic like that. And also the fact that she allows her daughter to interact with her "fake father" who has been very dead for many years. [/spoil]

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Hmm. That could be right as well...

No wait. The cops at the end were still clearly british.

I'll need to re-watch the ending. Can anyone else comment here?

That's not the part that affected me the most.

[spoil]It's the fact that she continues to keep him "alive" for all these years, keeping him in the attic like that. And also the fact that she allows her daughter to interact with her "fake father" who has been very dead for many years. [/spoil]

Agree 100% with this.

[spoil] He's just there. All the time. Not breathing, blinking, sleeping, bathing, anything. Just standing there feeling rather "ornamental". I thought it was the most eerie ending of any episode in the series. And it's the one that has stuck with me as I reflect on all 6 episodes and the Christmas Special. [/spoil]

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I'll need to re-watch the ending. Can anyone else comment here?

Agree 100% with this.

[spoil] He's just there. All the time. Not breathing, blinking, sleeping, bathing, anything. Just standing there feeling rather "ornamental". I thought it was the most eerie ending of any episode in the series. And it's the one that has stuck with me as I reflect on all 6 episodes and the Christmas Special. [/spoil]

[spoil]It's also very unhealthy for her to keep him around. She's obviously still grieving and that's not healthy at all. I'm guessing her daughter is at least 8? That's almost a decade of grieving and holding onto a shell of the man she loved.[/spoil]

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
[spoil]It's also very unhealthy for her to keep him around. She's obviously still grieving and that's not healthy at all. I'm guessing her daughter is at least 8? That's almost a decade of grieving and holding onto a shell of the man she loved.[/spoil]

Yep. Gut-wrenching and eerie. The things that BLACK MIRROR is quite good at :laugh:

member 51464

I just watched the first two episodes of season 1. I enjoyed the first quite a bit. 2nd was a bit of a step down, I thought, but still solid. I look forward to checking out the rest.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just watched the Christmas Special. Please tell me they are doing more of these. This show is not getting enough attention.

It's not. I've suggested it to all my friends and none are taking it on. I keep speaking highly of it and no one has started.

member 51464

I finished it all. I felt like the quality varied rather wildly. Some I felt were "meh," but I will watch the next season.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm assuming that would be glitchy. Or ridiculous for people that just tweet highlights of their day. Can you imagine a posthumous "this line at Starbucks is ridiculous! I'm gonna be late to work!" tweet.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I'm assuming that would be glitchy. Or ridiculous for people that just tweet highlights of their day. Can you imagine a posthumous "this line at Starbucks is ridiculous! I'm gonna be late to work!" tweet.

That'd be creepy as ****.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Finally got around to White Christmas. Oh my. This is indeed, far and away, the best one they've done. That was some next level ****.

I appreciated the callbacks to the Waldo episode and 15 million merits. If there were any others, I missed them.

I think if I had to rank them it would be

White Christmas

The National Anthem
The Entire History of You
15 Million Merits (for that astounding "Hot Shots" monologue)
Be Right Back

The Waldo Moment (funny enough but more politically charged than the others)
White Bear (All honesty, despite that "whoa", didn't see that coming ending, this one is easily the most skippable of them all)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $10,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00