Speculation: Bjugstad extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Have you seen an article on Bjugstad on nhl.com? Finally they see it!

I watched the 2 minute video on him on nhl.Com.

Admitted he was stubborn /not excited about coming here at first. Hopefully we can build a teamthat makes him want to stay here long term.

TheEkbombIsReal

Paaaaaanthers
Aug 19, 2011
Gothenburg
Really good article. Was a good read.

What worries me though is the fact that he loves Minnesota so much. I hope we can keep him here long-term, I would be devastated if he decided to bolt to the Wilds in the future. One of my favorite players on this team.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
meh, i don't think he necessarily wants to play hockey in minnesota, but that he really enjoyed his time there and such

remember, he did sign with us in the NHL despite being just a year(iirc?) away from signing with whatever team he wanted as a UFA...

anders and

Nov 16, 2013
Bjugstad will be the future captain for the Florida Panthers. Its just a matter if time. You can see that on the ice, he is the leader and can carry a team thru good and bad.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I think Bjugstad will be an A, not the captain. I see Ekblad/Gudbranson as the captain with the other an alternate and then Bjugstad, Huberdeau, and probably another guy will be in the running for the other A, unless they want to have four alternates like they do this season.

Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida
I think Bjugstad will be an A, not the captain. I see Ekblad/Gudbranson as the captain with the other an alternate and then Bjugstad, Huberdeau, and probably another guy will be in the running for the other A, unless they want to have four alternates like they do this season.

Barkov maybe? I don't know about Huberdeau through.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Should be interesting to see how they handle Bjugstad and Huby both coming off their ELC. If Bjugstad pots 30+ goals this year, I don't see how you can justify giving him a bridge contract. I think you look to give him close to the max for length. The $ is what's going to be a challenge. He could very well be our highest paid F come next season.

Huberdeau is a different story. Might have to go the bridge contract route with him and see what kind of player he becomes.

Then, after next year, you gotta deal with Barkov, Trocheck and Gudbranson (and to a lesser extent Pirri and Olsen). These contracts are going to be extremely important, I hope Tallon knows what he's doing lol.

Last edited:

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
many players (agents) want a bridge deal to show they're worth more than the 2-3mil they get otherwise

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Barkov maybe? I don't know about Huberdeau through.

I don't see Barkov as a captain. He's too shy and quiet to me. Huberdeau was Gallant's captain with the Sea Dogs and I think he would make a good assistant captain. He's a tough kid, seems to be a hard worker, and has a good attitude.

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Once Barkov starts producing offensively we'll be asking these questions about him as well. These two are both going to be a force up the middle for us. One is a speedy 6'6'' tall, 22-year-old goal-scorer, and one is a responsible 6'3'' tall, 19-year-old playmaker. Most teams kill just to have one of these kinds of players, and we have both. When these guys reach their next level, it'll be a treat to watch. I think Bjugstad is starting to hit that next level if you ask me.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Bjugstad will be the future captain for the Florida Panthers. Its just a matter if time. You can see that on the ice, he is the leader and can carry a team thru good and bad.

He might wear an A at some point but he won't wear the C. He is more fist than brains.
I'm sure people will misunderstand what that means...

anders and

Nov 16, 2013
He might wear an A at some point but he won't wear the C. He is more fist than brains.
I'm sure people will misunderstand what that means...

I think this describes more Gudbranson. I would be intrested in hearing why people see Guds and Ekblad more of a capitano material than Bjugs?

If we speculate who would be the captain for next season, would it be Ekblad, at the young tender age of 19, as old as Landeskog was named as captain? Or Gudbranson, who has the toughness, but does he really have the leader mentality? Have you seen him being that leader during these past 20 or so games?

I have not.

On the other hand i have seen Bjugstad taking tremendous responsibilities and being a true leader for his line and for the whole team. He has the ability to really be in charge and make the whole team better.

But we are still at an early stage with these three youngsters, being 18 or 22. And there could be other players stepping it up. But for now i see one of these three as our future captain, and Bjugstad has the upper hand.

But yeah, this is just my opinion...

anders and

Nov 16, 2013
And for Barkov, i can see him as our future #1C but i think he will be more in a situation like Malkin. Maybe he gets an A, but he has tremendous learning for that, especially with the mental side and with his vocabulary abilities i.e. english skills. But i have all the faith in this kid.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
I think this describes more Gudbranson. I would be intrested in hearing why people see Guds and Ekblad more of a capitano material than Bjugs?

If we speculate who would be the captain for next season, would it be Ekblad, at the young tender age of 19, as old as Landeskog was named as captain? Or Gudbranson, who has the toughness, but does he really have the leader mentality? Have you seen him being that leader during these past 20 or so games?

I have not.

On the other hand i have seen Bjugstad taking tremendous responsibilities and being a true leader for his line and for the whole team. He has the ability to really be in charge and make the whole team better.

But we are still at an early stage with these three youngsters, being 18 or 22. And there could be other players stepping it up. But for now i see one of these three as our future captain, and Bjugstad has the upper hand.

"When I was the older guy in high school and college, I did some talking, so I'm not completely quiet, but I'm not very vocal either … I'm kind of in the middle," Bjugstad said.

In his own words he is not the vocal type that you usually look for in a captain.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

I have not.

Guds has shown a lot of similarities to Mitchell this year. He's been solid at the own end, I'd even argue that he's been the team's most consistent d-man defensively.

As for examples, I don't think anyone else (of the regulars, Thornton is a different story) would have challenged Foligno for that hit on Flash. Sure Guds doesn't put up a lot of points, but he leads with different plays and that was a prime example of that.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
i would like to point out how bjugs has been very good on the pk this year.. Last year the few times he went out there he looked slow and confused.. shows his ability to get better in a way we didn't expect.. Guys the real deal.

CoolburnIsGone

I have not.

There's a lot more to being a "leader" of a team than what you see on the ice. Much of what a captain is comes from the locker room where almost all of us have no insight into at all. There was a reason why Jovo was the captain for much of the time he was here and it had nothing to do what he was on the ice.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL

I have not.

Yes. When Pirri was taken out on that bogus hit by Yandle, Gudbranson was one of the first guys to go after him and stood up for his teammate. The ref even said something like "that's a clean hit" :)help:) and Guds responded "I don't care if it's a clean hit. That's my ******* teammate!" That's the kind of stuff that a leader does. Gudbranson is a leader.

CoolburnIsGone

I'm sure Bjugstad will get a bridge deal, something like 2-3 yrs at most. The danger with making it too long of a deal is that he would have his arbitration rights that he could file himself and possibly end up losing him if the bridge deal is 4 yrs (most arbitration cases end up with a 1 yr deal so that would make him a UFA afterwards if he had a 4 yr deal then went to arbitration). I'm guessing he gets a 2 yr, $6-7M bridge deal at this point and then cashes in with a big long term deal at the end of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad