Bill Armstrong's Brilliant 2021 Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I was reading through the “top 5 GM thread” that was recently posted and was surprised at the lack of mentions of Bill Armstrong and the incredible job he’s done for UTA/ARZ. I looked through his trade history again and what stood out to me is how good his first offseason as GM was back in 2021. Thought I would provide a break-down here, as it's amazing how much value he added in a single off-season for his club by weaponizing his cap space, selling high on the right players and smartly managing his assets:

Trades:

July 17:

Took on Andrew Ladd's contract in exchange for a 2021 2nd, 2022 2nd and a 2023 3rd

Ladd played a year and then LTIRetired. One of the 2nds ended up turning into JJ Moser, the 3rd turned into Tanner Ludtke, and the other 2nd was in the package traded to move up in the 2022 draft to take Conor Geekie.

July 17:

Traded Adin Hill to the Sharks for a 2022 2nd

This is perhaps the only trade Armstrong made that was questionable, even if it got a lot of praise at the time for the value. Hill wasn’t a high-end goalie prospect, but he had good numbers at every level and had 3 straight years of solid NHL play in limited action. The Sharks ended up trading Hill to the Knights after a single season for only a 4th, but I wouldn’t call it a win for Armstrong despite getting more than they did. The 2nd was used on Julian Lutz.

July 22:

"Took on" Shayne Gostisbehere for a 2022 2nd

Ghost put up 82 points in 134 games for the Yotes, fully earning his 4.5M cap hit and only 3.25M average salary over those 2 years. The 2022 2nd turned into Artyom Duda. He also later got a 2026 3rd trading Gostisbehere to the Canes at the 2023 deadline.

July 23

Traded OEL and Conor Garland for the 9th OVR pick, a 2022 2nd, Louie Eriksson, Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel

Added several bad short-term contracts to get out of a worse long-term deal. Had to also retain a million on OEL to facilitate the deal. Since the Canucks bought him out two years after the trade it's now costing UTA even less. More importantly, the picks received were turned into Dylan Guenther and Jack McBain.

July 26

Took on Anton Stralman to get Vladislav Kolyachonok and a 2024 2nd

Getting a prospect recently drafted in the 2nd and a future 2nd for a 1 year cap dump was good value. The 2024 2nd was just used to take Will Skahan.

July 28

Traded Darcy Kuemper to Colorado for Conor Timmins, 2022 1st and a 2024 3rd

Got pretty solid value for Kuemper, who was a year away from UFA. I really liked Timmins as a prospect back in 2021. Still think he would have ended up a top 4 D if he were able to stay healthy, but he’s literally only played a little over 2 seasons worth of games since being drafted 7 years ago. The 2022 1st was later used for a small trade up to take Maveric Lamoureux, who looks like a top 4 RD in the making. The 2024 3rd was just used on Tomas Lavoie. Also worth noting that trading Kuemper (and Hill to a lesser extent) probably helped the Yotes suck enough to draft their future #1 center Logan Cooley in 2022, which absolutely should have been a factor in the decision to trade him.

July 28

Traded Lane Pederson for a 2024 4th

Sold high on a guy with limited upside. 2024 4th was used on Gregor Bieber.

Sep 4

Traded Christian Dvorak to the Canadiens for a 2022 1st and 2024 2nd

Sold high on Dvorak and took advantage of a desperate Habs team that had just lost Kotkaniemi to an offer sheet and needed a replacement center. The 2022 1st ended up being 27th OVR and was the main piece in the package of picks to move up to take Geekie. The 2024 2nd was later traded for Sean Durzi, who’s been a nice pickup for them.

Draft:

Normally I am of the opinion that GMs get far too much praise/blame for their team’s drafting, when most of the time it is the scouting staff that determines who the team takes, but in this case it’s important to note that Armstrong overhauled the scouting staff soon after being hired. He added Tampa Bay’s Assistant Director of Scouting Darryl Plandowski and Buffalo’s former Head of Scouting Ryan Jankowski in October 2020 to be their Associate Heads of Amateur Scouting. Both have done a great job since being hired, particularly in the 2021 draft, where they walked away with Dylan Guenther, Josh Doan, JJ Moser, Ilya Fedotov and Sam Lipkin, in what was largely considered a terribly weak draft.

Signings:

Not much to mention, which is good! Instead of wasting his team’s valuable cap space on free agents that the team did not need, as it was about to go through a full tear down rebuild, he used Arizona’s very limited spending money to acquire loads of futures by taking advantage of teams who put themselves in cap trouble.

Summary:

In a single off-season he added Guenther, Moser, Doan, Lipkin, Fedotov, Timmins, Kolyachonok, Gostisbehere, 6 future 2nd round picks and 4 future 3rds/4ths, and all it cost in terms of real assets was OEL (addition by subtraction given his contract), Kuemper, Dvorak, Garland, Hill and Pederson.

It’s one of the best off seasons a GM has had in a long time. Armstrong added an incredible amount of young talent to the organization by weaponizing his cap space, selling high on the right players and nailing it on draft day.

Of course Armstrong also continued his excellent work in future years, but it’d take too long to list all his moves since becoming GM. Still he’s the biggest reason why UTA/ARZ went from being in arguably the worst state of any team in the league after the disastrous John Chayka era to a team with one of the best outlooks only 4 years later. Think the dude needs more recognition for his fine work, none better than his 2021 off-season.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He’ll get props when his team achieves any semblance of success. Maybe next year would be a better time to sing his praises, IF he can get his club into the post-season…or at minimum not finish with another top-5 draft pick.

He's been GM for only 4 years and the Yotes post-Chayka were an absolute disaster.

When Armstrong took over the Yotes were a bottom 5-10 team on paper that just spent their last three 1sts on PO Joseph, Barrett Hayton and Victor Soderstrom, and then had their 2021 1st confiscated by the league for off-ice testing of prospects.

Judging a GM by team success is always a foolish endeavour considering no GM besides those helming expansion teams get a blank slate to work with, but even if we were to judge Armstrong on that basis, more time is definitely needed.

Cleaning house and acquiring picks isn’t necessarily the hard part. It’s hitting on picks, developing and reassembling everything into a winner that’s the true challenge.

And yet he "cleaned house" and acquired picks better than any manager running a tear down rebuild in recent memory.

We'll see how Utah fares in coming years. Could see them challenging for a spot this year, but almost all the pieces are in place to be a contender down the road.

Also whoever decided typing U-t-a-h should post their stupid temporary logo should be shunned.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
cleanhitshockey.com
Of course Armstrong also continued his excellent work in future years, but it’d take too long to list all his moves since becoming GM.

@RABBIT has got you fam:

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
He did well, but I think it looks a lot better when your team has literally no expectation or desire to win games or make the playoffs.

Reactions: Voight

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He did well, but I think it looks a lot better when your team has literally no expectation or desire to win games or make the playoffs.

There are numerous teams every year in the midst of a rebuild, in which the goal is to stock up on young players, picks and prospects for the future.

Not sure why people think he shouldn't be given credit because his team is not yet in the competing stage. Winning wasn't the goal for them this season or several years previous to that.

He's objectively done a much better job for his team during the rebuild phase than any other GM in recent memory.

@RABBIT has got you fam:

That would have been helpful :laugh:

Just an exceptional history of delivering value for his franchise.

Their fans deserved a manager like him after putting up with Chayka for years. Dude should go down in history as one of the worst GMs ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias Maccete

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Pierre Dorion had those exact same conditions, plus WAY better trading chips for picks/prospects(Karlsson,Duchene, Stone,Pageau) than Armstrong did, yet Dorion's track records is way worse.

Ottawa only has a (maybe) bright future due to the Karlsson trade becoming good from the Sharks unexpectedly flaming out in 2020.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Pierre Dorion had those exact same conditions, plus WAY better trading chips for picks/prospects(Karlsson,Duchene, Stone,Pageau) than Armstrong did, yet Dorion's track records is way worse.

Ottawa only has a (maybe) bright future due to the Karlsson trade becoming good from the Sharks unexpectedly flaming out in 2020.

That's maybe why I appreciate the work Armstrong did more than most, having seen how badly a rebuild can go with a bottom tier GM like Dorion.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Cleaning house and acquiring picks isn’t necessarily the hard part. It’s hitting on picks, developing and reassembling everything into a winner that’s the true challenge.

The funny thing is how people remember these trades when they look back on them. It's never the GM selling off being remembered as a shrewd executive, it's the acquiring GM who's looked back like an idiot for trading away so many assets.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver

Okay, Dorion was shit.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It wouldn't surprise me if Utah actually snuck into the playoffs if for nothing else than to throw salt on the wounds left by the Yotes.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
There are numerous teams every year in the midst of a rebuild, in which the goal is to stock up on young players, picks and prospects for the future.

Not sure why people think he shouldn't be given credit because his team is not yet in the competing stage. Winning wasn't the goal for them this season or several years previous to that.

He's objectively done a much better job for his team during the rebuild phase than any other GM in recent memory.
I don't think anyone is saying he hasn't done a good job? The premise of this thread though is that he should be receiving props as a top 5 GM in the league.

He's done a great job accumulating draft picks. How he will be evaluated will be based on what he does with those picks and how it translates into on ice results. So far he's' done half a job and you want him to be given credit as if he's completed the work.

Reactions: Half Clapper

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't think anyone is saying he hasn't done a good job? The premise of this thread though is that he should be receiving props as a top 5 GM in the league.

He's done a great job accumulating draft picks. How he will be evaluated will be based on what he does with those picks and how it translates into on ice results. So far he's' done half a job and you want him to be given credit as if he's completed the work.

I have no problem evaluating Armstrong's work during the rebuild so far without knowing whether the team will eventually become a contender, in the exact same way I don't have a problem presently evaluating the moves made by GMs of teams looking to win-now that are sacrificing the future for the present, without knowing in advance how badly it's going to hurt their team down the road.

Also the premise of this thread is to discuss how good the 2021 offseason was for Armstrong and his team, hence the title.

Reactions: Half Clapper

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
He's done great job so far IMO, but still hasn't accomplished anything yet. This is the first season we actually have pressure to rise up in standings, we'll see how it works.

There is no reason to praise him as a top-5 GM in the league (atleast yet), but I think that i wouldn't swap him and any other GM if i had that choice. If Yotes would've had any lottery luck, Utah's pipeline would look very scary

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
A lot of Debbie Downers here, "He hasn't accomplished anything yet"....he did an amazing job with the pile of crap he was given.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad