Confirmed with Link: Bill Armstrong is the new GM of the Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The biggest, most identifiable problem with this team and Chayka couldn't even see it. We're not Coyotes. We're Poodles.
How long have the most of us being saying we need toughness, size and the team is constructed badly? Probably for a couple of years now, except for the ones who said this is the new NHL, size doesn't matter, it's all about speed. Chayka and RT, what a duo.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
We all know that he was recently hired. But he was hired when negotiations had already started on his two best trade assets, during the buyout window. with the well-established deadline of the entry draft looming, not to mention UFA day a couple of days after. Yes it’s been only a couple of weeks. But it’s the short window where shit actually happens. After that, there’s usually nothing until the trade deadline.

If people choose to ignore my qualifiers that’s fine. I won’t bother with semantics. I think you all actually get what I was saying anyway. But let’s not act like these first few weeks on the job are like any other few weeks in the year. These are the few weeks that determine the next year.

I get all that, and I know you're on tenterhooks like the rest of us, wondering how this is going to go.

I don't mind that Armstrong hasn't pulled the trigger prematurely on some of these deals, though. Right now, he's having staring contests with half the GMs and player agents in the league, it seems like. Whereas Chayka seemed to make moves with a frequency that made it seem like he was trying to fill out his time card and show he was working instead of managing his Wendy's franchises, it appears that Armstrong is not going to be motivated by a desperate need to act - at least, not on someone else's terms.

Yeah, it could backfire. I think I'm going to wait until it does before I fall into my normal panic mode, though.

Reactions: RemoAZ and Jakey53

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I get all that, and I know you're on tenterhooks like the rest of us, wondering how this is going to go.

I don't mind that Armstrong hasn't pulled the trigger prematurely on some of these deals, though. Right now, he's having staring contests with half the GMs and player agents in the league, it seems like. Whereas Chayka seemed to make moves with a frequency that made it seem like he was trying to fill out his time card and show he was working instead of managing his Wendy's franchises, it appears that Armstrong is not going to be motivated by a desperate need to act - at least, not on someone else's terms.

Yeah, it could backfire. I think I'm going to wait until it does before I fall into my normal panic mode, though.
It’s true that he’s making a first impression and establishing his reputation to some extent. Chayka obviously did a very poor job of that. We recall the Brian Burke tantrum and the Button tantrum and several other non- tantrums that amounted more to anonymous gripes.

I think Chayka was more tolerated by a few who saw him as a niche player. It’s pretty clear that he lacked real credibility around the league.

If this game of chicken is establishing the opposite for Armstrong, than that’s a good long-term investment that should pay off in the future many times over.

Having said that, this is such a critical week for shaping not only the next year, but several beyond. These decisions about OEL, Kuemper and Tocchet are franchise shaping decisions.

Deciding not to decide would be troubling. But we’ll see. A week from now, we’ll know.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We all know that he was recently hired. But he was hired when negotiations had already started on his two best trade assets, during the buyout window. with the well-established deadline of the entry draft looming, not to mention UFA day a couple of days after. Yes it’s been only a couple of weeks. But it’s the short window where shit actually happens. After that, there’s usually nothing until the trade deadline.

If people choose to ignore my qualifiers that’s fine. I won’t bother with semantics. I think you all actually get what I was saying anyway. But let’s not act like these first few weeks on the job are like any other few weeks in the year. These are the few weeks that determine the next year.
Haste makes waste. Why would any GM want to hurry a trade for your two best players. If there is no deal, so be it. BA HAS to make sure the return is big. Other GM's will be testing BA to see if they can fleece him and are testing the waters.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Having said that, this is such a critical week for shaping not only the next year, but several beyond. These decisions about OEL, Kuemper and Tocchet are franchise shaping decisions.

You know, of course, that simply because we're talking about how quiet it is, in the next couple of days he's going to blow us all out of the water with something (either good or bad). It's inevitable, like how all it takes to make it rain is to go out and finally get the car washed, or to loudly proclaim, "I'm finished with the dating scene!!" and then meet someone new the next day.

Like you, I just hope I'm happy with it when it does happen.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It’s true that he’s making a first impression and establishing his reputation to some extent. Chayka obviously did a very poor job of that. We recall the Brian Burke tantrum and the Button tantrum and several other non- tantrums that amounted more to anonymous gripes.

I think Chayka was more tolerated by a few who saw him as a niche player. It’s pretty clear that he lacked real credibility around the league.

If this game of chicken is establishing the opposite for Armstrong, than that’s a good long-term investment that should pay off in the future many times over.

Deciding not to decide would be troubling. But we’ll see. A week from now, we’ll know.
I don't understand your last sentence. Time will decide which way we are going. I have no argument with keeping Kuemper or OEL. We have lost Hall, Richardson and Soda and they will be replaced with younger, bigger and hungrier players. Stepan and Demers could be the next to go, so we could have 5 open spots for BA to fill. The good GM's build good teams over time, not around a couple of weeks. Patience.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I also would remember Sakic and his Duchene trade. Lots of people thought that trade should have gone down way before it did. He was getting crapped all over for not pulling the trigger on a trade. But he waited until he got the price he wanted and it seems to have worked out so far for that team.

It doesn't always work out that way, but it does make me more hesitant to say anything until something has been done.

Somewhat unrelated, but I definitely wish Chayka would have not pulled the trigger on the last couple of big deals he made. The Kessel and Hall trades are gonna sting for a while.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Before everyone gets too sassy with me, I realize it’s early and there’s more to come. But I need to point this out.

We’ve heard the wonderful music to our ears ad nauseam about character, integrity and culture changing.

We have to admit it’s just a TINY BIT ironic that our first three moves are to buyout Grabner, release Hinostroza and draft Miller. Two of our hardest working players who were always “good soldier” types and a kid who was arrested for torturing a developmentally disabled child.

Yes, I UNDERSTAND THERE IS CONTEXT!!!!

But still. Come the f*** on. Really? These are the first moves we’ve made. Lol. You have to admit it’s comical.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Before everyone gets too sassy with me, I realize it’s early and there’s more to come. But I need to point this out.

We’ve heard the wonderful music to our ears ad nauseam about character, integrity and culture changing.

We have to admit it’s just a TINY BIT ironic that our first three moves are to buyout Grabner, release Hinostroza and draft Miller. Two of our hardest working players who were always “good soldier” types and a kid who was arrested for torturing a developmentally disabled child.

But still. Come the f*** on. Really? These are the first moves we’ve made. Lol. You have to admit it’s comical.

Yeah. I'm not impressed at the moment - especially with the Miller pick. But maybe he was a Chayka/Hofford pick based purely on stats.

Hopefully he'll just peter out in NCAA like most of our college picks and we won't sign him.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Yeah. I'm not impressed at the moment - especially with the Miller pick. But maybe he was a Chayka/Hofford pick based purely on stats.

Hopefully he'll just peter out in NCAA like most of our college picks and we won't sign him.
That’s a f***ed thing to hope for. Lol. Hopefully he’s found Jesus, becomes a positive force for change in this world, and is someday our captain and an NHL all star.

But your thing is more likely. Lol.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Jankowski has his own list and prep work.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Nobody is making moves. Everybody is jostling for position. There hasn't been one single major trade for ages. There are a lot of teams out there who don't have to do anything at all and they are still improving by leaps and bounds (NYR, LA, Ottawa). There are also a lot of teams desperate to dump cap with no room to take anything back.

This is a unique situation overall with the flat cap, lots of distressed teams, lots of teams sitting pretty, and a lot of pressure on GM's to perform BUT also not screw things up further than they are.

Look at Benning, two or three smart moves on his part and he has a winner on his hands, two mistakes and it may take years to fix and his window gets bent out of shape.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
That’s a f***ed thing to hope for. Lol. Hopefully he’s found Jesus, becomes a positive force for change in this world, and is someday our captain and an NHL all star.

But your thing is more likely. Lol.

Man, 2020 has not let me be that optimistic. And I think it's telling when his camp absolutely won't talk about the incident, rather than at least pushing a spin-doctored redemption story.

But I'd be happy to eat crow on it in a few years. Let's hope you're right and that I, as usual, am full of crap.

Reactions: _Del_

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
^ Seems team's major trades are now UFA signings. Keeping your 1st round picks and getting the draft right is more vital than ever. You can trade for middling stuff and hope a contender throws a 1st at you to fill a hole with a veteran, but the big stuff is extremely difficult.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

If you guys really want to get in to the minds of our new GM and head scout then you should look at the picks from the Blues and the Lightning. If you don't like those teams picks then you have something to talk about, otherwise it is all fluff...

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If you guys really want to get in to the minds of our new GM and head scout then you should look at the picks from the Blues and the Lightning. If you don't like those teams picks then you have something to talk about, otherwise it is all fluff...

Blues got Jake Neighbours, one of my big wants in the first round, so that gives me some hope with Armstrong. And Tampa got Eamon Powell, who I think is a pretty nice sleeper pick.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Blues got Jake Neighbours, one of my big wants in the first round, so that gives me some hope with Armstrong. And Tampa got Eamon Powell, who I think is a pretty nice sleeper pick.

Lol, Prototypical St. Louis pick indeed... this guy nailed that pick.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Something tells me Armstrong LOVED Tocchet as a player... let's see how that goes with Tocchet as head coach.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017

Grabner and Hinostroza were mediocre players that didn’t move the needle much.

As for the Miller pick... Armstrong wasn’t involved so I don’t put much stock into it. It’s also a long shot the kid will ever see the NHL

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Army on Gambo says he’s had agents of Coyotes players calling him and asking not to move their client because they love the lifestyle in Arizona.

Army says that everyone wants to be in the desert but nobody wants to bleed in the desert.

Guessing Demers and Schmaltz.

Reactions: Foggy1097

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Army on Gambo says he’s had agents of Coyotes players calling him and asking not to move their client because they love the lifestyle in Arizona.

Army says that everyone wants to be in the desert but nobody wants to bleed in the desert.
F those guys! lol

Wait! You wouldn't trade ME, right?!

Best thing the OEL thing has produced so far

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad