Biggest Surprise to Start the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Biggest Surprise 6 Games Into The Season

• Bruins 6-0-0 Record

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • Poitras (3G/1A) - 4th in Pts & Playing 2C

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • JVR (3G/2A) - 3rd in Pts

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Bruins goaltending only allowing 7G

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • DeBrusk with no goals

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Other (Comment Below)

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Maybe THIS is the year that Coyle can show he can be a good 2nd line center... ya know, 10 years into his career.
Exactly. THIS time it will actually work. And I'm not knocking Coyle. He got paid because the team thought he could something he never has been able to do. That's not on him, that's on management and their ability to judge talent accurately. As a player, if a team is willing to overpay for your services, you take that money every time.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
If Poitras was performing at the same level and this poll came at the quarter pole for example I might be inclined - six games, in which at times he’s looked (as expected) like he might lose his way while being placed with line mates that position him for success doesn’t bump off a record setting start for a club gutted of its heart, soul and top two centres

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
One thing I've been surprised by that hasn't been mentioned yet is Lucic's skating. He's looked far better this year than I expected given his age and lack of speed over the course of his career. But he looks like he's worked on it and has a little more giddyup in his stride this year compared to the last few season.

I think the biggest issue with his skating is that his high end is so low.

Nobody is at 100% all the time, but when guys like Pasta or Coyle aren’t skating well (injury, fatigue) they are still adequate.

When a Lucic or Forbort aren’t 100%, it looks much worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Easily Poitras being a top-6 C and being this productive and successful is the biggest surprise for me. Knew he would be good in time, but not this good this fast. So much hand wringing over the summer over how the Bs could trade for a top-6 C. Already knew the Bs had two elite goalies and a strong D. Already knew the schedule was soft to start the season. Was a big fan of the JVR add from the get-go and figured his pts production would increase on a good team. Jake will be fine. So, Poitras by far the biggest surprise. Starting 6-0 certainly honorable mention -- really awesome start, and part of that fast start is due to Poitras.

Reactions: Gordoff

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I never expected Poitras to make the team let alone have 4pts in 6 games, play a major factor in goals not counted on the score sheet, and play a sound defensive game.

I think the other options could be expected or predicted.

Reactions: The don godfather

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I eventually chose 6-0-0. Given that the Bruins had both Patrice Bergeron & David Krejci hang up their skates at the same time with no obvious successors in the system plus the difficult cap situation I figured if the team hovered around .500 they'd be doing something.

Instead we have 6-0-0. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
One thing I've been surprised by that hasn't been mentioned yet is Lucic's skating. He's looked far better this year than I expected given his age and lack of speed over the course of his career. But he looks like he's worked on it and has a little more giddyup in his stride this year compared to the last few season.

Looch mentioned that when teams were calling him after the summer tournament he was in, they were all surprised that he could still move as well as he was during those games.

Reactions: LSCII and Ladyfan

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
For me, it's the rookie center

No, not Poitras. It's Johnny Beecher. He's logging big PK minutes, Monty is sending him out for key defensive zone starts and faceoffs. He's playing a really solid all around game. I'm really impressed by him, tbqh. After the preseason we all saw Poitras having a big role, but I had no expectations from Beecher. Having a stable 4th line you can trust is pivotal.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I pressed the wrong one. I meant goaltending only allowing 7 goals. Next fewest in the league is Dallas with 11 and they’ve played one less game.

The defense and goaltending have been beyond elite.

Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Poitras is the biggest surprise, but several of Sweeney’s low risk gambles have paid off..

Geekie taking a step in his development
JVR contributing from the 3rd line
Lucic looks revitalized and beloved
Shattenkirk has been excellent for what he is. I hope they call Lohrei up because he could be a great partner/mentor.
He kept both goalies rather than deal one for a fraction of his value and the goalies have been our MVP’s.
He didn’t fire Monty after his playoff performance and Monty has been amazing with the kids.
He chose kids over vets for maybe the first time and those kids have been integral to the team’s success.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
their record out of the gate has to trump all - nobody would have expected a record-setting start to the season, this team just continues to defy and remain resilient
I agree with this.
Opportunity abounds for a rookie to make hay, but a 6-0 start after the roster turn over and that horrid pre season?
Yeah I think that's a pretty easy pick for me as well.

Reactions: NeelyDan

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Has to be Poitras. 6-0 is surprising but when you look at the schedule and Monty's well-proven record of being a coach who knows how to win, and win often, at least in the regular season, it's not that shocking. Reports of JVR's demise were greatly exaggerated, we all knew the Bruins goalies were exceptional, and DeBrusk has a history of being a streaky producer, especially when he is in an unsettled situation.

But Poitras has been a really pleasant, totally unexpected surprise. Knew he had talent, but figured he was at least a year away from the big time. For him to basically command a roster spot, and then to start as well as he has and already be earning top 6 time, is quite remarkable. As has been said, it's one thing that the vast majority of fans didn't expect this, it's quite another that Bruins management, who actually drafted the kid and presumably keep close tabs on him, didn't anticipate this either. Not so soon anyway. That's really something. Still lots of ways Matt's journey can pan out over the course of this year and beyond, but the start has been a joy to watch.

Reactions: BMC

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
6-0-0 for me. Never saw that one coming. In order:

Bruins 6-0-0 Record
JVR (3G/2A) - 3rd in Pts (I thought he was cooked)
Poitras (3G/1A) - 4th in Pts & Playing 2C
Geekie and Beecher making an impact (I added my own)
Bruins goaltending only allowing 7G
DeBrusk with no goals

Reactions: LSCII

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
6-0-0.

Completely unexpected.

Poitras’ production so far has surprised a bit, but to have this kind of start is very rare. Especially so given the fact that so much has been subtracted from last years team.

Truly remarkable

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Have to say, there have been some not so positive surprises too...

-Zacha-Pasta not really clicking as a pair, despite playing great individually.

-Marchand-Coyle only getting a 2 game look, despite having a positive CF (shots) and xG while getting mostly DZ starts. Marchand has a negative CF and xGF with the other centers.

-Also surprising that Poitras seems infinitely better and more involved with guys like Frederic,
Geekie and Debrusk vs his play with Marchand and/or Pastrnak.

-Lauko looks energetic, he looks like he's making a difference, but he's -4 and keeps taking
bad penalties.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Have to say, there have been some not so positive surprises too...

-Zacha-Pasta not really clicking as a pair, despite playing great individually.

-Marchand-Coyle only getting a 2 game look, despite having a positive CF (shots) and xG while getting mostly DZ starts. Marchand has a negative CF and xGF with the other centers.

-Also surprising that Poitras seems infinitely better and more involved with guys like Frederic,
Geekie and Debrusk vs his play with Marchand and/or Pastrnak.

-Lauko looks energetic, he looks like he's making a difference, but he's -4 and keeps taking
bad penalties.

Playing with big guns brings a level of discomfort for some early on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad