Post-Game Talk: Big Oil warming up, Penguins lose habitat

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Someone needs to start screaming to shoot more on this team in general
They are still second in the league in shots per game. I don't think it is the lack of shots that has been the issue. It's been more about finish. The good news is that shooting percentage tends to even out over time.

In fact so far 5 vs 5 the Oilers are fourth d in the league in HDCF/60 and second in SCF/60 while10th best in SCA/60 and second best in HDCA/60. They are second in xGF% so at some point one might hope that the dam breaks.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Nice to see the second line step up. To my eye, it looks like Arvidsson's stopped trying to find specifially Drai and focused on creating things in general, and in turn he was far more effecitve and the line was way less predictable.

Also I love the bottom 4 defencemen's abiliy to quickly skate back and hoover up loose pucks before the forecheck arrives.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Legit? We were completely dominant all night.
Jase, I’m being totally legit.

I can’t use the Penguins as some kind of a measuring stick for the fight that’s in the dog.

I’m happy the Oilers won, I’m happy they dominated but I don’t take any solace/comfort that they did it against some kind of juggernaut team. Because they didn’t.

Lets hope when they come up against a team that’s rolling and has some quality that they dominate even half as well. I think we both would agree right?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I can’t use the Penguins as some kind of a measuring stick for the fight that’s in the dog.

I’m happy the Oilers won, I’m happy they dominated but I don’t take any solace/comfort that they did it against some kind of juggernaut team. Because they didn’t.

Lets hope when they come up against a team that’s rolling and has some quality that they dominate even half as well. I think we both would agree right?
Sure, but it's not the Oilers' fault is the Pens suck and they beat them into the ground, they didn't eek it out.

There are alot of positives, no matter how far you want to move the goal posts.

They don't pick their opponents

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I appreciate the post. Though the majority of video shows The Stack Five with their elite processing and skating speed. They tilt the ice among the league's elite. The clip of Emerson's great stretch pass to Draisaitl is solid and the Podkolzen wide drive to net front shows his skating speed (but more importantly net drive in traffic).

The Oilers skating speed discussion is premature. However their zone transition work beyond a league elite pairing Ekholm and Bouchard needs to greatly improve.

Reactions: Oilhawks and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Well it would be really nice if we stopped playing games within a game and started playing to win and bury the opposition. Hyman will get his sooner or later.
When the game was 4-0 they were still playing fundamentally sound hockey and trying to get Hyman’s monkey off his back. No issue with that. When the game was 0-0 and even 2-0 they were both playing 100% just to win.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
He was brutal for his cap hit again. Ya, ya...he fought. Whooooopeeeee. What was that...his first fight since signing the contract? Money well spent?!?!?

Also, while he may have not been a liability this game....did anyone actually notice how many plays died on his stick in the ozone? Dude has absolutely no idea how to move laterally

That's 9mil going towards a player who when he plays mediocre hockey, we jump for joy
he's been the 2nd best Oilers Dman this year after Ekholm.
do better.

Reactions: nabob

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Nice to see the second line step up. To my eye, it looks like Arvidsson's stopped trying to find specifially Drai and focused on creating things in general, and in turn he was far more effecitve and the line was way less predictable.

Also I love the bottom 4 defencemen's abiliy to quickly skate back and hoover up loose pucks before the forecheck arrives.
The bolded is a massive upgrade on last season and it's still early days for guys like Emberson who is still a developing young D. If this team didn't start the year forgetting how to bury their chances and didn't have a bunch of miserable goaltending performances we wouldn't hear a peep (outside of the usual suspects) about how their offseason moves were bad. They will very much dominate once they start finishing their chances again and start getting more consistency in net.

Kane+ a top 4D at the deadline should put this team right back where they were last year once the new additions start to gel.

Reactions: Oilhawks and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
They are still second in the league in shots per game. I don't think it is the lack of shots that has been the issue. It's been more about finish. The good news is that shooting percentage tends to even out over time.

In fact so far 5 vs 5 the Oilers are fourth d in the league in HDCF/60 and second in SCF/60 while10th best in SCA/60 and second best in HDCA/60. They are second in xGF% so at some point one might hope that the dam breaks.
I appreciate posts like this.

Once the special teams start clicking, and the PP is too skilled for it to not, the ship will be back on course and full steam ahead IMO.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Bang. Beating an AHL caliber club really tells us nothing at all. The Pens are no measuring stick. They're an argument for relegation. Oilers have played 5 games with teams I expect will be out of playoffs. With Detroit and Columbus on tap this continues. At some point we play harder schedule and the Oilers have lost to every decent club.

Detroit could give us a test. Columbus? I don't think they can.

My own frustration is just wanting to see some good hockey. When only one team is playing it really isn't that. If NHL teams had bunches of games against AHL clubs I wouldn't even watch.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I haven't watched a game this year or been around since the summer. My dad pasted away 2 weeks ago and my mom and him were together since she was 17 , So she is really lost with out him. I had to make all the arrangements which was hard on me so hockey was not on my mind.

Can someone give me a break down on the season so far.
So sorry to read this man. Was there a couple years ago when my dad passed suddenly. I had my brothers to lean on, know that you’ve got brothers here if you need to talk.

Season so far…not much chemistry, no luck luck, wrong end of officiating most nights. They’re like a freight train fully loaded and picking up steam.

Bang. Beating an AHL caliber club really tells us nothing at all. The Pens are no measuring stick. They're an argument for relegation. Oilers have played 5 games with teams I expect will be out of playoffs. With Detroit and Columbus on tap this continues. At some point we play harder schedule and the Oilers have lost to every decent club.

My own frustration is just wanting to see some good hockey. When only one team is playing it really isn't that. If NHL teams had bunches of games against AHL clubs I wouldn't even watch.
The game against Carolina was a great game with two very good teams, with a single good bounce the Oil could have won it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Arvidsson is an excellent seam passer. Sent at least a dozen excellent hard and accurate seam passes right on the tape. I expect he and Draisaitl will develop some chemistry to start setting up more Draisaitl one-timers at 5v5.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This is a very good point. I don't know that I've ever actually considered the Oilers a fast skating team, but one thing I have always noticed is that when they're on their game they whip the puck around as good as any team in the league and it sure makes them look fast. They didn't do much of that the first half of the games this season, but they're starting to pick up the speed at which they think at and make plays at. It's nice to have speed on the forecheck to create turnovers, but when the pucks in your possession you really don't need to skate fast to be a consistently fast and dangerous team.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Kulak-Emberson btw is starting to look like a money bottom pairing. Emberson got his early season yips out and he's now providing really good puck retrievals, puck moving, and steady defending. If some offence starts to come in the offensive he is going to look like a really good pick up because right now his D zone and transition game are thriving on the 3rd pairing.

3/10 another calm cool play under pressure with no D back to support him. Great instincts and awareness on this guy.

6/10 calm cool play under pressure. Takes a slash on the hands and makes a smart reversal after forcing the forechecker to commit to him and opens up time and space for Kulak. Ceci turns this puck over 10 times out of 10.

7/10 Prime example of what Emberson can offer as he settles in with more experience. There's top 4 upside there. Maybe not this year, but definitely possible in his future.

Last edited:

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

This wasn’t a ‘barely squeak out’ win. The Oilers beat the piss out of the Pens last night. If we are supposed to be a good team, that is the kind of result we need against bad teams.

It says a ton, unless one is dedicated to not seeing it.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This wasn’t a ‘barely squeak out’ win. The Oilers beat the piss out of the Pens last night. If we are supposed to be a good team, that is the kind of result we need against bad teams.

It says a ton, unless one is dedicated to not seeing it.
The Oil needed this game to breakout finishing results and confidence. That said the Penguins generated under ten shots for a chunk of this game. Skinner made big saves when the coverage broke down and had help with strong, disciplined forward support as well.

Oil absolutely run over the Penguins in territorial play. So hard to make conclusions about the d-corp work. Interesting though the coaching staff essentially deployed Emberson and Stecher as third pairing guys with similar ice-time and support PK minutes with the Nurse major. Emberson showed some nice confidence with the puck and with managed minutes and continuity of partner it's good to be patient looking to stabilize him as an NHL d-man. Oil managing around the 2RD hole with Nurse at RD and rotating platoon guys reinforces they are struggling with this critical position and responsibilities.

Big picture this was the opponent and game the Oilers needed.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The Oil needed this game to breakout finishing results and confidence. That said the Penguins generated under ten shots for a chunk of this game. Skinner made big saves when the coverage broke down and had help with strong, disciplined forward support as well.

Oil absolutely run over the Penguins in territorial play. So hard to make conclusions about the d-corp work. Interesting though the coaching staff essentially deployed Emberson and Stecher as third pairing guys with similar ice-time and support PK minutes with the Nurse major. Emberson showed some nice confidence with the puck and with managed minutes and continuity of partner it's good to be patient looking to stabilize him as an NHL d-man. Oil managing around the 2RD hole with Nurse at RD and rotating platoon guys reinforces they are struggling with this critical position and responsibilities.

Big picture this was the opponent and game the Oilers needed.
Kulak-Emberson pairing shouldn't ever be broken up. Nurse is fine with Stetcher for the season until an upgrade can be added through accrued cap and salary retention. Nurse has looked best when paired with Stetcher which gives them a good outline of the type of D they need for Nurse. A puck mover who can skate and who ideally plays a strong defensive game.

Kulak-Emberson pairing:
CF%: 63.83%, SF%: 65.22%, SCF%: 74.19%, HDCF%: 72.41%, xGF%: 74.18%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad