Post-Game Talk: Big Oil warming up, Penguins lose habitat

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
You mean the team may not be trash, and it’s early? No need to jump off a cliff after just a few games? Whew

No, we can’t be happy until every player on the ice plays an absolute perfect game and the other team just decides to not show up at all lol.

Honestly it’s like you can tell the people who never played competitive sports and act as if one of the two teams has complete control of the outcome of the entire game. It’s not like there’s two teams full of some of the best players in the world out there trying their hardest to best each other.
This forum is embarrassing mostly with the toxic negativity after not everything goes perfect

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Big win but I did not see that extra gear that Connor usually hits when facing Sid. That is concerning IMO.

Meh, I thought McDavid played really well last night. Only problem was him or even Drai spent more time trying to get Hyman his first goal rather than shoot the puck themselves. Would've gotten more points if they played a bit more selfish.

Reactions: Duke74 and capazzo

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Him or Draisaitl don't celebrate for goals anymore. They look bored and disinterested most of the game.
Yeah, no. Sometimes they celebrate exuberantly, sometimes they don't. Just like they have always done, and just like pretty much every other hockey player does it. It all depends on the circumstances.
Claiming that they don't celebrate goals anymore is flat out wrong, as is claiming that they look bored or disinterested.

There are lots of games to be played every season, and not every goal is worth a huge celebration. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way they celebrate their goals.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Meh, I thought McDavid played really well last night. Only problem was him or even Drai spent more time trying to get Hyman his first goal rather than shoot the puck themselves. Would've gotten more points if they played a bit more selfish.
Well it would be really nice if we stopped playing games within a game and started playing to win and bury the opposition. Hyman will get his sooner or later.

Reactions: McAsuno and Duke74

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The Pens are even worse than I thought. I called a 6-4 Oilers win but thats giving the flightless birds far too much credit.

People are very critical of the Oilers stars around here but that performance by Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Karlson was disgusting. The whole team was bad but these were among the worst Pens on the ice. So bad that this was one of the weakest opponent performances I've seen. SOG at one point were 34-5. Don't think I've ever seen something like that before.

Oh and Karlson with the dummy of the universe award having full possession in Oilers zone, and he's a D, and dummying a pass back that only takes himself out of the play but his whole team, and caused the Oilers to have a 4-1 break. That play alone as well as the sleepwalking throughout is why you don't want Karlson anywhere near your team ever. EK has imploded every team he's been on, every one of them. Just a walking disaster.

I thought Drai really feeling it tonight. Good game by Arviddsson, and Stu Skinner. Topline really needs to get something going. Great goal by Drai. Best shot of the season.
Yeah I'm surprised Drai isn't getting more love here for his game. Sure Arvidsson was really good, but I thought Drai was by far the best skater on the ice last night.

Reactions: Duke74 and capazzo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah I'm surprised Drai isn't getting more love here for his game. Sure Arvidsson was really good, but I thought Drai was by far the best skater on the ice last night.
Its expected here that Drai gets zero credit. One of the best taken goals you'll see on a stud rush up ice backing up the D. He set up Arvid so many times its silly. One play was a breakaway fed from deep with a long pass and Arvid fumbled it into corner. Clear that Drai was driving a lot last night. I liked that Arvid rose to occasion but the actual pts were the Center ice bumper pass to Drai, A pass back to Booch bomb, and a faceoff win that went back to Ekholm.

Arvid was good so I'll take it. He seemed really activated in the game. Broadcast said he was pumped to get another chance with Drai.

Would like to see how they do against a competent club though. Pens checking and coverage was non existent last night.

One thing is nobody on the line scored but Drai. That has to change eventually. Drai also only one goal off a 50 goal pace but gets the most shade anyway.

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Well it would be really nice if we stopped playing games within a game and started playing to win and bury the opposition. Hyman will get his sooner or later.
For clarity they did that mostly in third period with the game out of reach. Although Connor on his own line was guilty of it earlier. Agreed they have to focus more on wins but in the hockey world Stars figure one of the things they have to be doing is jumpstarting others. Be more selfish. Like they said Drai wasn't even looking to pass on that goal. Taking his time, picking the spot, and blasting it in with laser precision. Poor goalie didn't stand a chance. He even saw it and couldn't stop it.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You don't even watch.
Oh i watched.....him squander pucks at the blueline. That's 9mil to watch someone absolutely obliterate offense

You clearly are the one who isn't watching if you don't see that

But hey, he fought, so let's get back to the narrative that he's big and nasty to play against and b/c he's been ok for 3 games let's get back to calling him a top pair dman while we're at it

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
For clarity they did that mostly in third period with the game out of reach. Although Connor on his own line was guilty of it earlier. Agreed they have to focus more on wins but in the hockey world Stars figure one of the things they have to be doing is jumpstarting others. Be more selfish. Like they said Drai wasn't even looking to pass on that goal. Taking his time, picking the spot, and blasting it in with laser precision. Poor goalie didn't stand a chance. He even saw it and couldn't stop it.
Connor was guilty of it lots last night again. Drai was only on the PP and when they played McDrai with Hyman at the end of the game. Hyman will have one go off his hip or butt and then he'll score 5 in 3 games. Don't force it, it will come.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah, no. Sometimes they celebrate exuberantly, sometimes they don't. Just like they have always done, and just like pretty much every other hockey player does it. It all depends on the circumstances.
Claiming that they don't celebrate goals anymore is flat out wrong, as is claiming that they look bored or disinterested.

There are lots of games to be played every season, and not every goal is worth a huge celebration. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way they celebrate their goals.
Well, nothing is worse than seeing the Elks D giving u another 500yds celebrating and doing dances any time they rarely make a play. I'll take subdued celebration in an easy game over a losing playoff missing team celebrating like they're champs or something with nobody in the stands..

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Yep. Sidney and Malkin need to retire. Bring Letang and Karlson with them. The single worst opponent performance I've ever witnessed. They should be ashamed really.

Even in the 8-1 Oilers loss to Vancouver it was nothing like this. Felt like much of the game was the Pens trying to feed the Oilers goals. Poor goalie, what could he do? Just stop it from being 8-0 is good.

Pens really have zero pride at this point. Just taking pay cheques.
Crosby had 94 points last season. Why should he retire?

Reactions: bellagiobob

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I think the Oil are undefeated in games with a fight... can't hurt to test out the theory next game.

Nice to see some Top 6 guys on the scoresheet... but Hyman looks totally snakebit!
It looks like the boys are starting to get going. I love Connor & Leon simplifying, shooting, and attacking the net! 💕

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Crosby had 94 points last season. Why should he retire?
He shouldn't. Just a post game reaction from me like we all have. Thing is I only bother to even watch the Pens when its against the Oielrs and Pens are always awful against Oilers. Maybe Malkin, Letang or Karlson should retire. They were all on vacay on this road trip.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think the Oil are undefeated in games with a fight... can't hurt to test out the theory next game.

Nice to see some Top 6 guys on the scoresheet... but Hyman looks totally snakebit!
It looks like the boys are starting to get going. I love Connor & Leon simplifying, shooting, and attacking the net! 💕
Sure. But not many teams, translation no one else, is letting him or the other stars get as much open ice as they did last night. pens weren't even contesting ice. Think it was Letang backing in way deep. At no point was Letang even going to make any play, looked helpless.

In the first 5mins of the game the Pens let McD walk all over them. Somehow, I don't know how, he didn't score.

Really I don't know how this game wasn't 8-0. What a slobberknocking anyhoo.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
I think Dubas is trying to do what Washington is doing.

Washington has just executed it better. Backstrom LTIR probably helped them. Kunetsov being a bit of a head case probably helped them walk away.

Pittsburgh probably needed to just stick with Crosby and maybe Malkin and build a younger team around them.

I think Sullivan has been past his due date for awhile.

Unfortunately the Oilers are probably going to look like the Penguins in a few years unless we start seeing some different offseasons.
I think Dubas is trying to do what Pens ownership is forcing him to do. Probably the most cuck GM position in the league imo.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Sure. But not many teams, translation no one else, is letting him or the other stars get as much open ice as they did last night. pens weren't even contesting ice. Think it was Letang backing in way deep. At no point was Letang even going to make any play, looked helpless.

In the first 5mins of the game the Pens let McD walk all over them. Somehow, I don't know how, he didn't score.

Really I don't know how this game wasn't 8-0. What a slobberknocking anyhoo.
I couldn't agree more.

Having watched the 2 Alberta games for Carolina this week : Wow, what a stark difference. The Canes work so hard, and don't give a lot of space & time.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just watched the game recap and the Pens looked awful. Giving up odd man rushes like the Oilers in their DOD heydays. They played (to quote Rob Brown) like a team wanting to fire the coach.

So did the Oilers bring their A game and the Pens their F game? Oilers did look good and could have been up 4 or 5 nothing before they scored the first goal. Still a couple glaring defensive miscues by the Oilers but baby steps.

Follow it up with a good road trip here boys.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I couldn't agree more.

Having watched the 2 Alberta games for Carolina this week : Wow, what a stark difference. The Canes work so hard, and don't give a lot of space & time.
Its like not even the same league. Last night was like playing Wilkes Barre Pens. Could they play worse?

That said this was the first uncontested game this season. NHL is being generally a better product when most teams are at least contesting. But this one was worse than a SJ performance. Clubbing Pens and seals as mentioned.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Just watched the game recap and the Pens looked awful. Giving up odd man rushes like the Oilers in their DOD heydays. They played (to quote Rob Brown) like a team wanting to fire the coach.

So did the Oilers bring their A game and the Pens their F game? Oilers did look good and could have been up 4 or 5 nothing before they scored the first goal. Still a couple glaring defensive miscues by the Oilers but baby steps.

Follow it up with a good road trip here boys.
It really looked like not even wanting to be there. Pens don't have enough pulse even to get up for playing McDrai in Edmonton, in Pittsburgh, or wherever. Can't forget that game in Pittsburgh where we were up 7-1 and Pens lol had scored the first goal. These are pro players. If you can't even get up to play McDrai go home. No pulse.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
He was brutal for his cap hit again. Ya, ya...he fought. Whooooopeeeee. What was that...his first fight since signing the contract? Money well spent?!?!?

Also, while he may have not been a liability this game....did anyone actually notice how many plays died on his stick in the ozone? Dude has absolutely no idea how to move laterally

That's 9mil going towards a player who when he plays mediocre hockey, we jump for joy
At this point with his contract being what it is I’m looking for small wins. Small wins…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad