Proposal: Big New York/Anaheim deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
This is all gross. A person proposes a trade that they thought about and there is a scurry of posters, like cockroaches on crumbs, who want to denigrate it.

I'm well aware of that, and think it's likely that the Ducks just hold onto him and SHOULD hold onto him and see what they have because he's very young and I think Carlsson will eventually be the #1C and Zegras will look fantastic in a role where he isn't required to take on the majority of responsibilities and probably will just keep progressing anyways. I wasn't saying at all that the Ducks should even consider trading Zegras. I was just saying that while the Ducks probably should hold onto him, I don't think he has the value Ducks fans see in him (which is a lot) and that while like I said I don't think they should trade him, this is a relatively fair base for a deal with a few extra adds on the Rags side, still doesn't make sense for the Ducks to do, just is fair value wise.
You need to use PP breaks.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
You need to use PP breaks.
If you can't understand what I'm saying, I apologize, but that's on you. Either way this is a hockey forum and what I said was perfectly readable. Do you have anything else to contribute to the discussion, or is that it?

People rightfully are shitting on OP's proposal because it vastly favors New York and is a bad proposal. You don't get a pass to make all the shitty insulting proposals you could want just because you put a little thought into it and wrote a bit more than the average person.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Gonna put on my Bern hat for a second and come up with an outlandish trade. I apologize if I make anyone's head explode:

Jacob Trouba (assuming he waives)
Kaapo Kakko
Filip Chytil

for

Trevor Zegras
Radko Gudas
Nikita Nesterenko
Jan Mysak

Trouba and Gudas are flopped, with Trouba being younger but Gudas being better. But Chytil AND Kakko are a bit of an overpayment for Zegras, IMO. So I think it balances itself out? But you guys can tell me if I'm wrong.

If you had the Bern hat on you would've somehow gotten Rasmussen from the Wings in this deal with the ducks.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Gonna put on my Bern hat for a second and come up with an outlandish trade. I apologize if I make anyone's head explode:

Kaapo Kakko
Filip Chytil

for

Trevor Zegras
Radko Gudas
Nikita Nesterenko
Jan Mysak

Trouba and Gudas are flopped, with Trouba being younger but Gudas being better. But Chytil AND Kakko are a bit of an overpayment for Zegras, IMO. So I think it balances itself out? But you guys can tell me if I'm wrong.
Ducks want core young player for Zegras. Ask from Montreal was Guhle. Trouba 30 years old

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It’s hard taking anyone too seriously when they are adamant Gudas is somehow a better dman than Trouba.

Gudas is an old school, traditional, one zone Dman. Who still still lives by his first coach’s Golden Rule “the boards are your best friend.” That’s it. He can’t even carry a bottom pairing. He’s a role player. A good one at times, but still, just a role player. It’s why he’s had so many bad seasons. Sometimes teams have actually asked him to participate in a 200’ game.

As for Trouba, being overpaid doesn’t equal a player being good or not. Some fans, especially from a certain team, have a tough time coming to grips with this, because their team has always seen everything through a financial lense. Overpaying players is their pastime.

Trouba is a really good player. He’s just very overpaid for what he’s good at, and asked to do too much, because of how much a team decided to pay him. Andrew Copp is another great example. He’s one of the best 3Cs in the league, who can play up and down a lineup, play on a scoring line if need be, and kills penalties as well as any forward in the league. But if you listen to some on this site, he’s horrible because he’s overpaid by $1-$1.5 million. Darnell Nurse also isn’t a horrible player. He’s just overpaid by $2-$2.5 million and asked to do too much sometimes. He’s asked to do what a $9 million dman does.

All three of those examples, are really good hockey players, who can absolutely help a team win a Cup. They just happen to be overpaid and/or given too much responsibility.

That’s many players in the league now. There’s very few players like Jack Campbell who’ve just fallen off the map.

The Rangers are likely to trade Trouba this summer and they won’t get much in return because he is so overpaid.

Trade value also doesn’t equal if a player is good or not either. It’s just the current circumstance the player’s in. Sometimes everyone in the NHL just knows, the team needs some financial relief as well.

We’ve seen dozens of trades now, where a team doesn’t get proper value because of a contract situation. Look at Debrincat last summer. The Sens had no other alternative but to get the best deal they could with Detroit. There’s people on this site who think he’s somehow not a good player now, and he’s not even overpaid. Look at some of the deals Vegas has made.

There’s going to be fans on this site (in the coming weeks) who will have changed their opinion on Mitch Marner, if and when he’s traded, because the Leafs aren’t going to get $11-$12 million in value for him.

Every trade now has a pretty big financial component to it. It doesn’t reflect on how good a player is or not, if a team doesn’t receive proper value in return. This isn’t a video game.

If Trouba made $5.5 million, the Rangers would get a nice package in return. Fact is, not a lot of teams will be wanting to take on that money. One team is going to end up very happy though, when he lines up for them opening night.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Gudas is an old school, traditional, one zone Dman. Who still still lives by his first coach’s Golden Rule “the boards are your best friend.” That’s it. He can’t even carry a bottom pairing. He’s a role player. A good one at times, but still, just a role player. It’s why he’s had so many bad seasons. Sometimes teams have actually asked him to participate in a 200’ game.
You obviously didn't watch the Ducks this year. What a terribly inaccurate take. Why do so many posters on HF insist on acting like they know about teams/players they don't watch?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Kaapo Kakko
Filip Chytil

for

Trevor Zegras
Radko Gudas
Nikita Nesterenko
Jan Mysak

Yeah I definitely don't see Chytil and Kakko as any kind of overpayment for Zegras.

Like, not at all.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Don’t think it’s enough to get zergas, even with his warts. I don’t know if he ever puts it together defensively enough to be a true top flight C, but he’s young enough and a NY kid, I’d take a flyer on him….
Put him on a winning/playoff team, surround him with good leadership/hard work/practicing other players etc and see if it strengthens him out….
That contract is a tough pill to swallow though.

I actually think the ducks would want Trouba and Kakko back as pieces, but neither the main piece.

Kakko already plays a solid responsible 2-way game. Hes a big body/hard to knock of the puck, and he’s also young enough like Zergas, in the right situation he can constantly produce and become better.
Hes scored 40 Ev strength pts a year ago….hes certainly got the draft pedigree/talent and he won’t cost a lot of $$ long term….
If you’re the ducks, you put him on mctavish’s wing or on a line with Terry etc give him top 6 min and PP time…

If his offense takes off, ducks get a steal…
If not, he’s still a very good 3rd liner that doesn’t cost a ton……

Trouba would def give them grit and snarl along with leadership on the backend.
His cap hit stinks at 8 mill, but he’s only making 5.75-6 mill real $$. Plus he’s only signed for 2 more years at age 30 to 32…. Not exactly a dinosaur.

If the ducks fail to make the playoffs, they should get a good return for him with only 1 year remaining at the TDL.
Playoff teams always looking to add big tough D…

I’m pretty sure Trouba would need to go back just to make Zergas cap hit work for ny.

The deal would prob have to be something like

NYR 1st+ Kakko+Trouba+ prospect with some upside
Maybe a Sykora/vaselinen type
( not a top 3 in their system guy)

For Zergas+ something small
( low tier prospect or late RD pick)

That’s the only way I see a deal between NYR-ANA working realistically when taking in all factors for both( need, player potential, cap hits, etc)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't think Zegras is going go to be the player that pushes us over the hump. I think fans are just obsessed with his puck skills and bringing him to NY. The best thing here is getting rid of Trouba's salary, but Gudas will for sure have fans rolling their eyes throughout the season. I don't see why the Ducks wouldn't just trade these players separately should they decide to part with them. Trouba's cap is bad and we aren't retaining any money here.

Zegras would immediately be pushed to RW. Most likely with Zibanejad and Kreider.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don't think Zegras is going go to be the player that pushes us over the hump. I think fans are just obsessed with his puck skills and bringing him to NY. The best thing here is getting rid of Trouba's salary, but Gudas will for sure have fans rolling their eyes throughout the season. I don't see why the Ducks wouldn't just trade these players separately should they decide to part with them. Trouba's cap is bad and we aren't retaining any money here.

Zegras would immediately be pushed to RW. Most likely with Zibanejad and Kreider.
Yeah, they need less players like Zegras if they ever want to win it all.

Zegras to me doesn’t seem like he’ll pull
a Modano or Yzerman in the sense that they finally understood that they had to change their game to win it all.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
You obviously didn't watch the Ducks this year. What a terribly inaccurate take. Why do so many posters on HF insist on acting like they know about teams/players they don't watch?
Sorry but Gudas has NEVER been able to carry a defensive pairing. Not professionally anyway.

He’s a supporting, role playing dmen. A good one too. He can play on all 3 pairings depending on the situation, but he’s NEVER been confused with a dman who creates pace, controls the puck, transports the puck, drives transition, regroups and the play goes through him, etc, etc. Yea, that’s not Gudas and never has been.

He’s an old school, one dimensional dman, who plays with an edge.

That’s not a bad thing, but he’s certainly nowhere near Jacob Trouba as a player and has never been confused with being anything more than what he is.

Unfortunately the hockey community, scouts, etc, have had to invent the term “Pair Carrying Dman” over the last 10-15 years, to differentiate for people who couldn’t understand what the phrase “Top 4 Dman” actually meant. Newer fans and non-traditional media for that matter, started calling players like Jake Walman, a Top 4 Dman because he’s physically playing with a Mo Seider in Detroit’s Top 4.. Unfortunately, we now have the same people thinking someone is a “Pair Carrying Dman”, if they’re on the ice with a lessor player, rookie, etc.

Very few teams have 3. Some don’t even have 2, but we have the same type of fans arguing since there’s two guys out there, one has to be the “Pair Carrying Dman” somehow. Just not the case.

There’s a reason Florida let him walk. They’re at the point, it’s really tough paying role playing Dmen $4-$6 million. They chose to grab a couple of older players who were more than one dimensional and it’s done wonders for their D-Core.

Gudas is a great partner for a Top Dman, or he can play on a bottom pairing with a Maatta type. Where it probably wouldn’t be a bad pairing at all, but nobody is confusing either of creating pace and driving play. Florida was able to pay Kulikov much less to fill the same role Gudas was playing. Doesn’t mean Kulikov is better, but he’s playing the same role Gudas was, and he’s been just as effective. Only without the intimidation and stupid penalties.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not saying Zegras is bad but I do read all of our GDT's. Everything you people burn an effigy of Zibanejad over describes Zegras. You're trying to add more of what you complain about every minute of every game.

If you wanna go that route, fine, but know what you're targeting because I don't wanna read it as it is.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I'm not saying Zegras is bad but I do read all of our GDT's. Everything you people burn an effigy of Zibanejad over describes Zegras. You're trying to add more of what you complain about every minute of every game.

If you wanna go that route, fine, but know what you're targeting because I don't wanna read it as it is.
I don’t watch a ton of zegras but does he really have much in common with zib? I feel like he’s a much better transition/skater, passer, puck handler, all things that Zib kinda blows at

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t watch a ton of zegras but does he really have much in common with zib? I feel like he’s a much better transition/skater, passer, puck handler, all things that Zib kinda blows at
He has a different way of getting there but he's another guy who finds points despite sucking at 5v5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad