Big Mac's Bait Shop

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Been discussing which pieces you'd be willing to dangle in trade this TDL or this off-season.

For me, I feel like Bowey has been passed by Siegenthaler in the organization, and I'd be comfortable with the organeyezation using him as a trading asset. Burakovsky seems obvious.

I'm also curious about Riley Barber - guy hasn't gotten too many shots in DC, and apparently might be a UFA this off-season. Don't think he'll return a bunch, but I'd be fine moving him so he gets a shot somewhere.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
With Lucas Johansson I feel like he’s either going to be like Nate Schmidt where he produces just in time to get scooped up by Seattle or he loses value by not getting opportunities

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder about Bowey. He may have been passed by Siggy sure but I consider them playing different positions. As soon as Orpik is named assistant, Siggy will be back at LD. As it is Djoos is our #3RD.

What are the long term plans for RH RD? Maybe that will shed some light. I more wonder if Hobbs has been the one to pass Bowey in the long term plan.

I think we will keep Bowey and Bura and follow the offseason plan to largely try to repeat with the same team. We'd be selling low on Bowey so he isn't going to fetch squat. Likely the same with Bura. Why bother.

Lets trade someone that other GMs think have more upside... someone not on our team currently, and release Jaskin to make room.

Maybe we need an ALL D depth chart, and then 2 separate LH and RH versions.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Other than Kempny, when or who was the last Capitals TDL pick up who actually contributed to the team?

Just looked at the Caps recent trade history and 2011 they did pick up Dennis Wideman, but 2008 was probably one of their best TDLs when they picked up Federov, Matt Cooke and Huet.

Last edited:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Other than Kempny, when or who was the last Capitals TDL pick up who actually contributed to the team?
Fedorov and Huet I suppose. Winnik and Halak too if you can call it 'contributed' - both played relatively well but not much output for the team and Winnik was non existent in the playoffs.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Siegenthaler, Johansen, Alexeev are untouchable IMO. Same goes for Priskie. Everyone else is easily available, depends on the return. Burakovsky, Bowey, Samsonov, Vanecek, all those mediocre F prospects, couple of useless 4th liners that somehow get the spot and do nothing - everyone of them should be available.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I wonder if AJF isn't in the bait bin after heading home (perhaps compared to a third rounder if they're shopping for depth only).

If not at the deadline then at the draft I'd likely deal Burakovsky and Bowey for more picks. Walker will also be Group VI UFA but they may want to keep those guys to help Hershey make the playoffs.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Siegenthaler, Johansen, Alexeev are untouchable IMO. Same goes for Priskie. Everyone else is easily available, depends on the return. Burakovsky, Bowey, Samsonov, Vanecek, all those mediocre F prospects, couple of useless 4th liners that somehow get the spot and do nothing - everyone of them should be available.

There is zero chance Samsonov is available.

Draft and develop, draft and develop, draft and develop . . .

Yep, 16 of the 25 players that saw the ice in the playoffs last season were drafted and developed in house.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I wonder about Bowey. He may have been passed by Siggy sure but I consider them playing different positions. As soon as Orpik is named assistant, Siggy will be back at LD. As it is Djoos is our #3RD.

What are the long term plans for RH RD? Maybe that will shed some light. I more wonder if Hobbs has been the one to pass Bowey in the long term plan.

I think we will keep Bowey and Bura and follow the offseason plan to largely try to repeat with the same team. We'd be selling low on Bowey so he isn't going to fetch squat. Likely the same with Bura. Why bother.

Lets trade someone that other GMs think have more upside... someone not on our team currently, and release Jaskin to make room.

Maybe we need an ALL D depth chart, and then 2 separate LH and RH versions.

Bowey is a far superior player and prospect to hobbs. Not even close at this point.

I'd be surprised if Djoos doesn't go on the block at some point in the near future if they're truly that high on Seigenthaler to replace Orpik after this season. He's a legit third pairing guy not a tweener, he's young, can drive offense and is probably more valuable on the trade market than a lot of us ealize. That and the fact the left side is a pretty crowded place right now.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hobbs a healthy scratch tonight for Hershey to “rest and reset and catch a game from the stands” whatever that means. He hasn’t been playing the greatest the past few games but it’s an interesting development. Maybe held out for a deal? Pure speculation on my part since it is that time of the year

Hershey’s pairs tonight:
Ness-Lewington
Geisser-Sproul
Johansen-Siegs

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Bowey is a far superior player and prospect to hobbs. Not even close at this point.

I'd be surprised if Djoos doesn't go on the block at some point in the near future if they're truly that high on Seigenthaler to replace Orpik after this season. He's a legit third pairing guy not a tweener, he's young, can drive offense and is probably more valuable on the trade market than a lot of us ealize. That and the fact the left side is a pretty crowded place right now.
I wouldnt count out Hobbs yet. He is still developing his game. He is only in his 2nd season in Hershey and has had to deal with injuries in both seasons.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Why would Samsonov be untouchable?

I didn't day he is untouchable, I just don't see him being moved. He would be an expensive piece to sell so we would have to be getting something significant in return and I don't think GMBM is after anything significant right now.

If he's a sweetener in a Bura for XXX deal, that return seems a lot higher than just a modest 3LW rental and they don't have cap room for much else.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I didn't day he is untouchable, I just don't see him being moved. He would be an expensive piece to sell so we would have to be getting something significant in return and I don't think GMBM is after anything significant right now.

If he's a sweetener in a Bura for XXX deal, that return seems a lot higher than just a modest 3LW rental and they don't have cap room for much else.
I doubt he gets moved anytime soon but but it may be an option at some point

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Well of course it's possible but I think he's the Caps #1 goalie of the future in the franchise eyes so that would be a major trade to fix a big hole, not a TDL tinkering.
I'm not sure if he is or not. Goalie prospects are difficult to judge.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Is anyone untouchable, other than maybe Alex Alex?

Sure. Most of them are untouchable in any realistic sense. Show me a realistic scenario where Backstrom or Kuzy or Oshie or Carlson or Niskanen or Wilson get traded?

I think the number of players that might potential even be discussed between gms on the Caps roster can be counted on one hand

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Samsonov is the Capitals Vasilevskey, Holtby is the Ben Bishop in this situation. Seems pretty obvious to me.

They are not trading the best goalie not currently playing in the NHL unless someone offers them a game changing player.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I'm not sure if he is or not. Goalie prospects are difficult to judge.

That's not the question. The issue is what do the Caps think about him and until we see anything different it seems obvious they are grooming him for the job when it's time to replace Holtby.

Whether he pans out at the NHL level is a whole different issue, and yeah, only time will tell.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad