TV: Big Brother: General Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
After binging quite a few Survivor season the wife and I are going back to our reality tv roots from early in our relationship And have been watching Big Brother again. We went with season 14.

I never watched live big brother until season 20, but I went back a few seasons and watched 10, 17, and a few other seasons years ago.

Once I “graduated” to Survivor from Big Brother I never really went back until now. But holy shit season 14 is incredible.

Just got past Dan’s funeral the other night and I must say that’s the dopest, most masterful strategic move I’ve ever seen, probably in any reality show ever.

I know it’s an old season but please no spoilers for 14 as I’m going to be finishing it in the next few days. If Ian doesn’t win I’ll be devastated lol.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Hate what they turned big brother into...

Was a watcher basically from season 6ish till about bb 17 when i started falling off of it. Hard quit during Paul's second season. Couldnt stomach watching that guy on my screen again.

I think social media effected BB the most in a negative way, especially with the live feeds. The difference between a modern day season and an older season like 14 is just night and day. Theyre like not even the same TV show.

Its a shame, I really enjoyed watching it back in the day. Luckily theres no more shortage of reality tv competition shows nowadays. Other networks have finally realized its a cheap and easy way to get viewers.

Go back to the golden days and watch seasons 2, 4, 6 and 7. Season 7 is like the original season 14 with better characters overall.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Go watch Dr Will, season 2 for the single greatest performance in competition reality TV history.

The show has gotten terrible, but this season has actually been entertaining.

Whatever you do, skip the DEI a/k/a Cookout season. It's easily the worst season in BB history and maybe all of reality tv history.

Reactions: hoglund

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Go watch Dr Will, season 2 for the single greatest performance in competition reality TV history.

The show has gotten terrible, but this season has actually been entertaining.

Whatever you do, skip the DEI a/k/a Cookout season. It's easily the worst season in BB history and maybe all of reality tv history.
Yep, I've watched 2. Epic performance by Will.

The cookout season pretty much made me stop watching live seasons. Dogshit season

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Whatever season the cookout was, that was the season that killed what love I had left for the show. It had been fading but it went out that season. I'm not sure it was even a thought out decision to stop, just kind of happened.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Taylor season 2 years ago did it for me. Made it clear this kind of television, of which this was the only real reality show I watched, was beneath me. It isn’t a game.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Finished season 14 last night, very much enjoyed it. Probably my second or third favorite season of BB. Liked the coach twist, in both iterations.

My god what a whirlwind of emotions in those last two episodes.

lost a lot of respect for Dan Gheesling. He was one of my favorite players going into watching this season. But using religion to manipulate people to the level he did is just too far for me. Plus I wasn’t crazy about how he treated Danielle.

VERY happy with Ian winning. Called him as the winner around like episode 5 or 6. Kid’s smart, sneaky good in challenges, and a good old Pittsburgh boy.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Finished season 14 last night, very much enjoyed it. Probably my second or third favorite season of BB. Liked the coach twist, in both iterations.

lost a lot of respect for Dan Gheesling. He was one of my favorite players going into watching this season. But using religion to manipulate people to the level he did is just too far for me. Plus I wasn’t crazy about how he treated Danielle.

VERY happy with Ian winning. Called him as the winner around like episode 5 or 6. Kid’s smart, sneaky good in challenges, and a good old Pittsburgh boy.

Dan was great on BB. Then he went on The Traitors and absolutely shat the bed. Played so poorly he sunk not only his game, but the game of Parvati (Survivor legend) as well.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Dan was great on BB. Then he went on The Traitors and absolutely shat the bed. Played so poorly he sunk not only his game, but the game of Parvati (Survivor legend) as well.
I just think he took some things way too far on BB14.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

where are you watching old Big Brothers, is it youtube?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Paramount Plus
thank you, I don't subscribe to that and even though I've cut the cord years ago, I don't subscribe to all the different streaming services if I did it would be as expensive as cable. Thanks for letting me know where I could stream old big brothers.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I loved Big Brother back in the day. Followed along with live feeds and updates and whatnot through season 14, then les for a few years before quitting. I ended up watching the Jackson season, which was pretty boring, then lost interest through the run of the second all star season, the cookout season, and the one that they gifted to Taylor. I'd highly recommend seasons 2, 3, 6, 7, and 10 to anyone. Will is the greatest reality show contestant of all time, easily. I am also a fan of seasons 9, 12, and 14, though those were unpopular online at the time.

The show has several problems recently - it is edited in a nearly unwatchable way first off, with endless recaps and focus on dumb shit like people in costumes. Watching a challenge is unbearable because they explain the rules, then have the players explain the rules, then cut to the diary room throughout to have players narrate what you just saw back to you. The show thinks you are an idiot and almost directly tells you that every episode.

Social media is a problem as well, in that players are very concerned with how people react to them. This has the effect of making people boring and with a fake enthusiasm that is painful to watch. It not only makes the show less entertaining but impacts how players play the game, as seen in the cookout season and the subsequent season. Players are always guarded now in a way that the naive players of the early seasons were not.

Ian falling ass backwards into winning that season takes it down a few notches. Oblivious player with a ton of breaks going his way completely unrelated to his own doing. Not quite rigged like when Rachel won but annoying when it spoils an all time great season like what Dan was providing.

It's hard to know what Dan could have done. It's obvious, and players have commented on it, that Dan could never actually win because of his reputation. People were familiar with who he is and it's pretty obvious that if you cast Dan, you make him a traitor. Parvati had the same problem regardless of Dan. Still it seems that Dan didn't recognize the game he was playing and make the necessary adjustments. The Traitors is also a short game and Dan took time to establish himself on both of his Big Brother seasons, more of a distance runner than a sprinter.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dan in season 14 put it over the top (or bottom) that the show had become less of the game and more of the story. It was similar to the Sopranos, Dan was tha god of that shit, and in the end people wanted to see him get wacked even though he was putting a show on every night. Sopranos didn’t give you that but this did.

He made one true mistake, which was keeping Shane through the double eviction, and did it for Danielle. Otherwise, he hustled each week to not be the target while hardly ever winning, including the week when he was dead to rights and got off.

To that point, there was no such thing as ‘going too far.’ He actually came off weak when he tried to own it, but it didn’t matter anyways, they were never voting for him. He wasn’t really any less cutthroat than he was the first time, when he was not only the winner but also America’s favorite.

Ian, not sure if it was years later, but he only went in the second time because when he looked back, even he thought Dan should’ve won.

Yes, I’m still not over it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Dan in season 14 put it over the top (or bottom) that the show had become less of the game and more of the story. It was similar to the Sopranos, Dan was tha god of that shit, and in the end people wanted to see him get wacked even though he was putting a show on every night. Sopranos didn’t give you that but this did.

He made one true mistake, which was keeping Shane through the double eviction, and did it for Danielle. Otherwise, he hustled each week to not be the target while hardly ever winning, including the week when he was dead to rights and got off.

To that point, there was no such thing as ‘going too far.’ He actually came off weak when he tried to own it, but it didn’t matter anyways, they were never voting for him. He wasn’t really any less cutthroat than he was the first time, when he was not only the winner but also America’s favorite.

Ian, not sure if it was years later, but he only went in the second time because when he looked back, even he thought Dan should’ve won.

Yes, I’m still not over it.
They definitely steer things, and I meant to mention that too. Blatant manipulation of the "game" was apparent by season 7, the end of the Shapiro era before Grodner came in. Janelle turning on Will was very complicated in reality, and most of it was never touched on on the tv show, but the two most significant factors were Will's relationship outside of the show and the diary room telling Janelle for over a month to turn on Will, which he generally smoothed over every time. It got to the point where they even started talking to Erika about getting Janelle to turn on Will. Season 8 did everything possible to keep Dick and Daniele there. Season 13 was blatantly rigged for Jordan to win, and if not her then Rachel. I'll never forget them running the same challenge a second time, a challenge that Rachel had convincingly won weeks earlier, and making it so that two people (ie Rachel and Jordan) could be saved by the challenge win. The Taylor season I assume is pretty widely known for shenanigans.

When it comes to season 14 I don't think that they rigged it for Ian, but it is clear that that is the direction the show wanted. Grodner likes the most broad story possible, loves doofus characters like Enzo and showmances. When it came down to it a lot of things lined up for Ian (Frank's pathological obsession with Dan, Jenn and Joe being fixated on a returning player not winning, Britney having an autistic younger brother) to win that vote. Ian didn't even realize for several cycles that he was the number one target if not for the challenge wins he kept pulling out while thinking he didn't need them. It's no wonder that he eventually realized what people who followed online already knew, namely that Dan obviously outplayed him. That Ian showed up a second time and was voted out early make complete sense. He was a liability early on in season 14 and got saved by the coach's twist and the coincidence of Britney's younger brother. To be fair to Ian, the all star season was more about who you know than anything else though. Play a ton of Big Brother seasons where people don't know each other and Dan is wildly dangerous every time and Ian gets booted before jury almost every time.

As it pertains to Dan's decisions, I do not believe that it mattered when he took Shane out. His only way to win was to take Danielle to the end. Ian repeatedly winning competitions made that impossible so Dan had no chance. That jury was very fixated on a returning player not winning, and Britney was not going to advocate for Dan over Ian. Danielle was so hated that Dan could have beaten her but even that is no guarantee.

Last edited:
Reactions: shakes the clown

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They definitely steer things, and I meant to mention that too. Blatant manipulation of the "game" was apparent by season 7, the end of the Shapiro era before Grodner came in. Janelle turning on Will was very complicated in reality, and most of it was never touched on on the tv show, but the two most significant factors were Will's relationship outside of the show and the diary room telling Janelle for over a month to turn on Will, which he generally smoothed over every time. It got to the point where they even started talking to Erika about getting Janelle to turn on Will. Season 8 did everything possible to keep Dick and Daniele there. Season 11 was blatantly rigged for Jordan to win, and if not her then Rachel. I'll never forget them running the same challenge a second time, a challenge that Rachel had convincingly won weeks earlier, and making it so that two people (ie Rachel and Jordan) could be saved by the challenge win. The Taylor season I assume is pretty widely known for shenanigans.

When it comes to season 14 I don't think that they rigged it for Ian, but it is clear that that is the direction the show wanted. Grodner likes the most broad story possible, loves doofus characters like Enzo and showmances. When it came down to it a lot of things lined up for Ian (Frank's pathological obsession with Dan, Jenn and Joe being fixated on a returning player not winning, Britney having an autistic younger brother) to win that vote. Ian didn't even realize for several cycles that he was the number one target if not for the challenge wins he kept pulling out while thinking he didn't need them. It's no wonder that he eventually realized what people who followed online already knew, namely that Dan obviously outplayed him. That Ian showed up a second time and was voted out early make complete sense. He was a liability early on in season 14 and got saved by the coach's twist and the coincidence of Britney's younger brother. To be fair to Ian, the all star season was more about who you know than anything else though. Play a ton of Big Brother seasons where people don't know each other and Dan is wildly dangerous every time and Ian gets booted before jury almost every time.

As it pertains to Dan's decisions, I do not believe that it mattered when he took Shane out. His only way to win was to take Danielle to the end. Ian repeatedly winning competitions made that impossible so Dan had no chance. That jury was very fixated on a returning player not winning, and Britney was not going to advocate for Dan over Ian. Danielle was so hated that Dan could have beaten her but even that is no guarantee.

I think they said if Danielle was with Dan, that Dan would’ve won, however Dan was never keeping her. Dan wanted the final 3 to be with Danielle and Jenn.

Dan won the double eviction HOH (the only one he won) and targeted Ian, then Shane, and Joe was voted out instead, which looks terrible on him to use the HOH that way, we would blame anyone else for being a terrible player but that is his error. We would not have had the whole thing about getting Danielle to use the veto in show for final 4 and stab him in the back, which came off as a very poor look. It may not have mattered in the end, but the way it took place can do that. At least in the double, things move so fast, and Shane wasn’t a smart person, he would’ve been too stunned to react.

Ian also stood there and stated he started the quack pack when the others knew full well that wasn’t true.

The Funeral will always be stuff of legends though. I don’t think anything can top that as a game move. Frank put on a carrot suit and gave up playing in a couple comps or something to get Dan on the block and then signs off on the plan to save him.

Jordan winning was not as transparent to me at the time, but the season ended up being down to where she was the only one anyone liked. The second Rachel season (who was absurdly annoying) was very obvious from near the beginning, that they were all only there to give her the win they wanted to do the year before. I do still feel season 14 was the best season, but that kind of became the point where anyone who was there to try and play a game had America turn on them and get convinced that people were being mean trying to break up showmances (such as the second Paul season). They did have a few years that were not heavy handed in the showmances, but they ended up with casts generally despised by America, and it kind of crystallized to me after the second all star year, and the Taylor year, where the winner was determined before they ever entered the house.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think they said if Danielle was with Dan, that Dan would’ve won, however Dan was never keeping her. Dan wanted the final 3 to be with Danielle and Jenn.

Dan won the double eviction HOH (the only one he won) and targeted Ian, then Shane, and Joe was voted out instead, which looks terrible on him to use the HOH that way, we would blame anyone else for being a terrible player but that is his error. We would not have had the whole thing about getting Danielle to use the veto in show for final 4 and stab him in the back, which came off as a very poor look. It may not have mattered in the end, but the way it took place can do that. At least in the double, things move so fast, and Shane wasn’t a smart person, he would’ve been too stunned to react.

Ian also stood there and stated he started the quack pack when the others knew full well that wasn’t true.

The Funeral will always be stuff of legends though. I don’t think anything can top that as a game move. Frank put on a carrot suit and gave up playing in a couple comps or something to get Dan on the block and then signs off on the plan to save him.

Jordan winning was not as transparent to me at the time, but the season ended up being down to where she was the only one anyone liked. The second Rachel season (who was absurdly annoying) was very obvious from near the beginning, that they were all only there to give her the win they wanted to do the year before. I do still feel season 14 was the best season, but that kind of became the point where anyone who was there to try and play a game had America turn on them and get convinced that people were being mean trying to break up showmances (such as the second Paul season). They did have a few years that were not heavy handed in the showmances, but they ended up with casts generally despised by America, and it kind of crystallized to me after the second all star year, and the Taylor year, where the winner was determined before they ever entered the house.
I understand what you're saying but in the big picture I don't think it mattered, Dan had a very narrow path to victory and when Shane went didn't matter all that much. As brutal and enjoyable as the Shane backstab was, it didn't change a single person's vote in the end. Dan needed Danielle there. Maybe Jenn, who played largely as a lump, maybe. I sort of remember Ian claiming that, but he didn't know he was lying. Ian was pretty clueless about the game that was going on around him. Unlike Survivor where it is edited after the fact to protect the winner in Big Brother you can generally figure out when a winner is clueless. It didn't really matter what Ian said, several people were voting against Dan (a returning player) no matter what and Britney was building support for Ian no matter what.

I watched Dan's funeral live after there were rumblings about what he was trying to do (I think he had given hints to the live feed cameras) and it was awesome. Really hard to top in that he correctly predicted the reactions of everyone in the house and manipulated every single one of them into doing what he needed. The key people he needed to help him were also the two with whom he had the worst relationship. Even that he got Britney out was tremendous for him because she dominated the house socially and he largely took her spot at the top of the big alliance. It's difficult to imagine a tougher scenario than what Dan faced.

I never watched a Paul season.... he may have been on the season that first drove me off but I stopped watching early. The last one I watched in full before quitting was the Derrick season. Another problem with the show is that Derrick dominated so thoroughly that he pretty much showed the most foolproof way to play and win, and it isn't very entertaining.

When Big Brother is good it's great. Season 14 may be the last time it was great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad