Big 12 exploring confernce naming rights deal

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s smart and this is why the Big 12 has continued to survive under Yormark who continues to think outside the box.

It’s nothing like the “old Big 12” which itself wasn’t even an old or classic conference so while I’m sure we will get a few “old men yelling at clouds” about how collegiate athletics, in particular, football and basketball are changing - at this point you better evolve or you’re gonna get left in the dustbin.

My alma mater is in this “conference of 16 schools” and I don’t really care if they call it the “CarMax Conference” or the “Lumber Liquidators 12” as long as my school is still accessing the highest levels of competition and trophies in the revenue sports and playing on as even of a financial field as possible - given the monsters that the B1G and SEC have become.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeesh, hope the $30-$50 million is worth getting ridiculed by every other conference.

Hope the Big Ten buys the rights. The Big Ten Network 12.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
This is just genius…

IMG_1764.jpeg

Reactions: GKJ and Reaser

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Bowl games have corporate names and no one complains

People mock them all the time, a second rate late night host bought the rights to one as a joke, and one of the most universally panned calls of all time was Brent Musburger dropping a "this is for all the tostitos" on a national title-winning kick after the BCS's brand sponsor.

That'd be akin to saying that we don't seem to mind the Discover logo on Winter Classic branding, so we shouldn't have an issue with it being added to the NHL shield either. Obviously not the case, some things are beyond the pale.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
I wish I could snap my fingers and find old posts where I said this kind of thing was inevitable.

The companies I used as an example have probably gone out of business. I probably had the Blockbuster, Blackberry and MySpace Conferences.

What were the four Covid Conferences…??? Discover East, Honda West… and I am blanking on the Central and Canadian / North placeholders.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $700.00