Better center pair?

• Crosby + Malkin

• N Suzuki + N Suzuki

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Even at age 37 and 38 Crosby and Malkin are about 90 and 70 point players. Suzuki is about a 75 point player. Add in experience and I'll still take the old guys.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Life comes at you fast @Baksfamous112
View attachment 898616
Votes now 49-5, and I am pretty sure those 5 votes are almost exclusively Habs fans....
View attachment 898618
Oh yeah a forum vote should be the deciding factor here especially when people tend to vote on name recognition. Still won’t make me change my mind and I have a feeling this coming season will only prove my point.

Let’s revisit this at the end of the season.

Even at age 37 and 38 Crosby and Malkin are about 90 and 70 point players. Suzuki is about a 75 point player. Add in experience and I'll still take the old guys.
You might be surprised with the numbers those 3 put up this year.

The fact that the question is for just a 7 game series starting right now means the right answer is probably Crosby/Malkin. But I've lost a lot of faith in Geno, he just doesn't look like a difference maker any more.

I picked 2 Suzukis. I'm a huge fan.
This here was key to my point. He slowed down a lot. People have just not realized it just yet.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Oh yeah a forum vote should be the deciding factor here especially when people tend to vote on name recognition. Still won’t make me change my mind and I have a feeling this coming season will only prove my point.

You might be surprised with the numbers those 3 put up this year.

This here was key to my point. He slowed down a lot. People have just not realized it just yet.
Of course it's possible, at 37 and 38 they could fall off a cliff at any point.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
That’s tonight. If it were any other Center on the at #2 I would take Crosby.
Malkin is washed. I had him in fantasy and I watched him a lot last year. Still gonna go with Crosby

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Crosby this last season is way overrated due to nice-ish numbers, but his game is more empty calories than not at this point, and going forward he won't have Guentzel's youthful energy anymore either. I don't think this old version Crosby can carry scrubs anymore the way he did at his peak. The most symptomatic Pittsburgh play for me from last season was not a Karlsson-gaffe (believe it or not) but when both Crosby and Guentzel bit on a face-off loss against Philly in OT, Philly's D (Sanheim?) just swept the puck down along the boards, and Konecny and Couturier scored on the ensuing 2-on-1. I can see a lot more of these type of lazy plays going forward.

I'm going with two Suzukis here, if one of them breaks down at least I have a serviceable unit to run.

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

NotNotALeafsFan

Oct 11, 2013
Toronto
Why does Montreal get to duplicate their best player but Pittsburgh takes the aging Gino? I’ll take Sid & Gino vs Suzuki & whoever is montreals 2C

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

My point was that the majority of non habs fans would take the Pens duo, which you doubted was the case.

I assume you believe Suzuki x2 is a good comparable for Crosby/Malkin, otherwise why start this poll?
I thought it would be a lot closer than the poll suggests, honestly. Suzuki x2 is probably a top 8-12 center pair in the league, where as Crosby - Malkin is probably anywhere from 5th-10th.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Crosby is still head and shoulders above Suzuki but Malkin is truly a shell of himself and it's closer than people think due to that.

Still picking the Pens' geriatric pair because Sid is still amazing and I still feel like Geno can turn on beast mode at any given moment

I don’t even think Suzuki’s that much better than Malkin. Easily Sid/Malkin
I have to take the bait - where does Hischier land in relativity to Malkin in that case?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Crosby is still head and shoulders above Suzuki but Malkin is truly a shell of himself and it's closer than people think due to that.

Still picking the Pens' geriatric pair because Sid is still amazing and I still feel like Geno can turn on beast mode at any given moment

I have to take the bait - where does Hischier land in relativity to Malkin in that case?
You mean Hischier vs Crosby right?

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
"They can't even carry their team into a playoff spot anymore", that's an interesting criteria. :laugh:

Montreal had one Suzuki and they were still in the bottom 5 of the league. Would another one have guaranteed a playoff spot?
I mean it would have been a pretty big step up from Jake Evans lol

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
We have a small sample size of Suzuki going head to head against Crosby and Malkin in the playoffs. It was during Suzuki's rookie year 5 seasons ago.

Suzuki - Danault won the matchup against Crosby - Malkin in that round.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not sure where the crossover point happens, and it might not be that far off...but for now, it's still Crosby + Malkin. They're both still better than Suzuki. Though he's fast encroaching on Malkin territory.

Malkin's numbers look a lot worse than they normally would last year, because Erik Karlsson completely decimated that Penguins powerplay. Malkin's even strength production wasn't even really that far off "normal" for recent seasons. He just suffered more than anybody, for an absolutely pathetic powerplay where he didn't collect his usual points there. And it's not like he just forgot how to powerplay. It was just a terrible mix of players trying to shoehorn Karlsson in there when you already have PP experts. Too many cooks in the kitchen sort of thing.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Going with the Suzuki clones. More confident that they will remain what they were in the past and not fall of a cliff.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Imagine a best of 7 series was starting today, which 1-2 center punch would you take? Crosby + Malkin vs Suzuki + Suzuki?

why do a hypothetical vote? and clone a player? Leon D and McJesus vs several actual combos today. Also, why not make it "at their peak"? Both Sid the KId and Geno are winding down their careers. Suzuki has never topped 40 goals and 100 pts

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Suzuki is getting a fair bit overrated lately. Crosby and Malkin were better last year, and every year before that obviously. Given the ages that could change quickly but I'd rather actually see it happen before picking Suzuki.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium