Better center pair?

• Crosby + Malkin

• N Suzuki + N Suzuki

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Based on what they were the last time they played (last season), probably Crosby Malkin still.

If I'm projecting into the start of next season, give me the 25 year olds

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Okay... then it's a lot closer.

I think Crosby was a lot better than Suzuki last year. Malkin does seem to be slowing down, but at this time I would still take the Penguins.
We’re not even talking about last year. We’re talking right now at this very moment. Crosby was better last year but I don’t think it closes the gap enough to cover Malkin’s. He slowed down a lot and I’m sure another 4-5 months didn’t really help much with his case

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Malkin is so much worse defensively while I think Crosby is still clearly better.

Nick did match against Malkin several years back and eliminate the pens from the covid play ins.

I would take the two Nick's assuming Crosby and Malkin are more likely to regress this season while Nick Suzuki hasn't peaked yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
Crosby is still comfortably the best player here, assuming he hasn't fallen off a cliff during summer. I'd take Crosby and Malkin.. but wouldn't be surprised if it's a pair of Suzukis by the time playoff hockey is actually played next.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Crosby > Suzuki = Suzuki > Malkin

I went with the Suzukis because at this point in Time, I think that Suzuki is Much more versatile than Malkin

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Everyone’s down on Malkin but he was still a better 5v5 producer last year than Suzuki has ever been and the Pens PP was an absolute mess which brought down his totals. Suzuki’s increase in production was solely due to big PP numbers, but I’m not sure if they’ll continue to be as strong. He was getting points on a much higher percentage of the team’s PP goals while he was on the ice than he ever has. I think they’re probably pretty similar offensively at this point. Suzuki is certainly much better defensively than Malkin but I don’t think the overall gap between them is as big as some are suggesting, and I’d prefer to still have the best player here in Sid.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Suzuki keeps getting stronger each season – from 61 to 66 to 77 pts, (21 / 26 / 33 goals). Obviously he won't continue climbing forever, but at 24 he put up 1C numbers on one of the worst offensive teams in the league. As Montreal's roster improves, so will Suzuki's production.

Crosby is one the best all-time and still awesome. Malkin's decline is sharper. I can't fault anyone for gambling on this aging HoF duo, but Suzuki-X2 is the safer bet.

Reactions: Habano

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Everyone’s down on Malkin but he was still a better 5v5 producer last year than Suzuki has ever been and the Pens PP was an absolute mess which brought down his totals. Suzuki’s increase in production was solely due to big PP numbers, but I’m not sure if they’ll continue to be as strong. He was getting points on a much higher percentage of the team’s PP goals while he was on the ice than he ever has. I think they’re probably pretty similar offensively at this point. Suzuki is certainly much better defensively than Malkin but I don’t think the overall gap between them is as big as some are suggesting, and I’d prefer to still have the best player here in Sid.
Okay but Crosby and Malkin are very key elements on that PP. You cannot absolve the 2 primary members of the PP from blame for the PP being bad

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don’t even think Suzuki’s that much better than Malkin. Easily Sid/Malkin
Yeah I am surprised at the sentiment that Suzuki is somehow way better than Malkin. Malkin was much more productive at 5v5 with much worse linemates and had very good possession and goal differential numbers.

Heck, Malkin's primary point/60 production was greater than Suzuki's total scoring rate:

Malkin
  • 0.98 g/60
  • 2.28 p/60
  • 1.87 primary p/60
  • Rakell and Smith as most common linemates
Suzuki
  • 0.48 g/60
  • 1.84 p/60
  • 1.36 primary p/60
  • Caufield and Slafkovsky as most common linemates
The Pens PP has been a mess the last few years, but I think that has more to do with coaching than guys like Malkin and Crosby not being good PP players.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Life comes at you fast @Baksfamous112
1722538937953.png

Votes now 49-5, and I am pretty sure those 5 votes are almost exclusively Habs fans....
1722538965874.png

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Malkin's a clear step behind what he once was, where he's only more of a 2C at this point, but Crosby is so much better than Suzuki that it's the Penguins duo clearly.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Okay but Crosby and Malkin are very key elements on that PP. You cannot absolve the 2 primary members of the PP from blame for the PP being bad

Absolutely, but there’s also a lot of chemistry and strategy that goes into PPs and sometimes it’s just a bad mix. Usually when players dramatically regress offensively it’s more noticeable at 5v5, and we’ve seen Crosby and Malkin succeed on the PP in the past. I’d be more confident in Malkin figuring it out on the PP in a different scenario than I would in him increasing his 5v5 production if that had tanked. If it’s a situation where Suzuki is simply that much better on the PP now, then fair enough, but I don’t know if we can say that confidently just yet.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
The fact that the question is for just a 7 game series starting right now means the right answer is probably Crosby/Malkin. But I've lost a lot of faith in Geno, he just doesn't look like a difference maker any more.

I picked 2 Suzukis. I'm a huge fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium