Best Waiver Claims?

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Ray Whitney and Chris Kunitz are the 2 names that immediately come to mind.

St.Louis was never claimed. He went to Tampa as a UFA

Can't believe I forgot Ray Whitney. He's one of my go-to puckdoku answers. That guy was a gamer.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
And Phoenix got years of quality starting goaltending in Bryzgalov from the waiver wire because Brian Burke is a moron who thinks he's the smartest man in the room.

Moron? Smart? If there’s an attack to be made here (and imho there isn’t) it would be that he’s a bleeding heart softie, not a moron.

Waiving bryz wasn’t a move done out of smarts. He tried to trade bryz, nobody offered anything of positive value at all, so when faced with the choice of keeping a goalie who wanted to start and was good enough to start stuck as backup in Anaheim or trying to give him a fresh start by seeing if any team would claim him for free, he elected to give Bryz a chance at a fresh start.

I, for one, appreciate that - and I rather that than seeing Spencer Knight (and soon, Yaroslav Askarov) rot on the vine because their rightsholding teams would rather waste their prime age of their career as backups than give them a chance to be starters elsewhere; treating them as assets to be hoarded rather than humans with career aspirations.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Pittsburgh claiming Mike Condon from Montreal is either a good waiver claim or a bad one, depending on your perspective.

Montreal placed Condon on waivers. Ottawa did not need him when he was on waivers. Pittsburgh had an injury at the time so they claimed him. Shortly after Pittsburgh claimed him, Craig Anderson suffered an injury in Ottawa and Pittsburgh's tandem was healthy again. Recognizing their leverage, Pittsburgh refused to put Condon back on waivers. They extorted Ottawa for a 5th round pick.

Condon is notorious for "saving" Ottawa's season that year with above average play in net that kept them in the playoff race until Craig Anderson returned. Ottawa barely squeezed into the playoffs, earning their spot in the last few games of the season.

While Condon barely factored into the actual playoffs, but he did help get them there. Had they not traded for him, they would likely have missed the playoffs that season.

Circling back to how this relates to Pittsburgh, Ottawa and Pittsburgh met in the conference final. Pittsburgh won by 1 goal in game 7 OT, and they went on to win the Stanley Cup. Had Pittsburgh never claimed Condon, he may have passed through waivers, and Montreal might have opted against trading him to a division rival in Ottawa. Claiming Condon on waivers could possibly be indirectly responsible for Pittsburgh winning the cup, because if Ottawa doesn't make the playoffs and beat out two good teams in Boston and New York, maybe Pittsburgh doesn't win the conference final. Or, if you believe that Ottawa was a more difficult matchup for Pittsburgh than any team they faced, then it was a bad waiver claim, because claiming Condon put Pittsburgh a goal away from not winning the cup that season.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Sorry I was wrong. MSL was signed. Gourde perhaps?

Last edited:

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Moron? Smart? If there’s an attack to be made here (and imho there isn’t) it would be that he’s a bleeding heart softie, not a moron.

Waiving bryz wasn’t a move done out of smarts. He tried to trade bryz, nobody offered anything of positive value at all, so when faced with the choice of keeping a goalie who wanted to start and was good enough to start stuck as backup in Anaheim or trying to give him a fresh start by seeing if any team would claim him for free, he elected to give Bryz a chance at a fresh start.

I, for one, appreciate that - and I rather that than seeing Spencer Knight (and soon, Yaroslav Askarov) rot on the vine because their rightsholding teams would rather waste their prime age of their career as backups than give them a chance to be starters elsewhere; treating them as assets to be hoarded rather than humans with career aspirations.
Lmao, wtf are you talking about? Knight signed a 3 year, $4.5 per contract and he was playing incredibly well before he went into the player assistance program for a non drug related issue. He was in the program for most of the 22-23 season and spent last season getting paid 4.5 mil to play in the A and get his feet back under himself.

Rotting on the vine, though.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
Grabner scored over 30 goals after getting claimed by NYI.

And Phoenix got years of quality starting goaltending in Bryzgalov from the waiver wire because Brian Burke is a moron who thinks he's the smartest man in the room.
Not true about Burke. No one wanted to trade for Bryz and Bryz deserved to be a starter so when he couldn’t find a trade partner, he was put on waivers knowing he’d be claimed,

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Peverley for Wheeler and Stuart was one of the better Thrasher moves, and he got the Cup. Gustav Forsling deserves to be mentioned here.
bit early to call that one of the best

for me the best of all time is Ray Whitney. WE still have no idea why the oilers waived him--he went on for 17 more seasons with 10 20+ goal season. He was almost a pt per game player after he left the oilers and scored 31 for the panthers after they picked him up

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Lmao, wtf are you talking about? Knight signed a 3 year, $4.5 per contract and he was playing incredibly well before he went into the player assistance program for a non drug related issue.
Even if it was a drug problem, it shouldn't matter and no one should be stigmatized or stereotyped for it.

Love you as a poster though, congrats on the cup!!!

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Even if it was a drug problem, it shouldn't matter and no one should be stigmatized or stereotyped for it.

Love you as a poster though, congrats on the cup!!!
I totally agree, just wanted to get it out of the way in case it was incorrectly brought up. But definitely agree, pretty awesome when people have that mindset to realize they need help.

Thanks man! Appreciate it. Appreciate you as a poster as well.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I saw someone mention Pominville but wasnt he waived and unclaimed then just ended up exploding for the Sabres who waived him initially?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
On the Habs, the best in recent memories is Paul Byron for sure

One of the fastest player on a straight line I've seen in my life, super solid on the PK, played his f***ing ass off every nights and was a reliable 30 points + per years

To the point he was named Assistant Captain

Plus that legendary goal:

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Not true about Burke. No one wanted to trade for Bryz and Bryz deserved to be a starter so when he couldn’t find a trade partner, he was put on waivers knowing he’d be claimed,

Ya, I remember. But they could have traded Hiller or Giguere for a haul and kept Bryz who was an underrated starter. Or maybe just played him enough to show his value.

Waiving someone to show how valuable they are is pretty dumb.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Robert Lang. Penguins waived him, Boston claimed him, waived him again, Penguins picked him back up. Became a 2C and then a 1C.

He scored the vast majority of his career points in his 30s. Such an odd career. He was also leading the league in scoring for a while when he was with the Caps.

He was looking good at 39 years of age as well, but then he got his Achilles sliced.

Reactions: mattihp and Jacob

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
A very short-lived success, but Antti Niemi putting up .929 in 19 games for the Canadiens including the franchise record for most saves in a regular season home game, stopping 52 shots in a 5–1 win over the Panthers.

His 2nd season.... let's not talk about it.

Reactions: mattihp

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Lmao, wtf are you talking about? Knight signed a 3 year, $4.5 per contract and he was playing incredibly well before he went into the player assistance program for a non drug related issue. He was in the program for most of the 22-23 season and spent last season getting paid 4.5 mil to play in the A and get his feet back under himself.

Rotting on the vine, though.
Same thing with Askarov, he needs at least another year in the AHL to kind of round off some of the rough edges and then probably a couple of more seasons as a back up. I mean if he wants to move up this season all he has to do is play well and beat out Wedgewood, and that shouldn't be that hard to do if he is as good as he thinks he is.

With Trotz history I have a real hard time believing he is going to leave Askarov sitting on the bench if he outplays Saros. He likes his Vets but he was more than willing to sit a goalie if another one was playing better.

If we do reach that point, which definitely isn't set in stone yet, then Trotz can figure out what to do at that point. The only thing Saros NMC bothers me is if there is an expansion draft, if Askarov outplays him he is going to want to move and not be a back up anyways.

Reactions: Laus723

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad