Best undrafted players (2024)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Literally was about to start a thread on the same topic, specifically mentioning Ustinkov lol. He was ranked:
#31 by THN/Ferrari
#38 by Smaht Scouting
#48 by DraftProspects
#44 by Recruit Scouting

Pretty crazy

Another one I find a bit surprising is Artyom Schuchinov, the guy played a full KHL season already as a dman.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
wasn't anyone from the WHL who I thought were must drafts but a few that were probably worth late round picks vs guys who were picked. We'll see if they improve enough to get taken next year as re-entries and those were: Miles Cooper, Dawson Cowan, Diego Buttazzoni, Gavin Hodnett, Jesse Heslop, Josh Zakreski.

Most of them aren't the biggest players so will likely end up as really good OAs who might earn a ELC or at least a AHL deal. Unlikely NHLers but should have solid pro careers whether it's in the AHL or ECHL/Europe.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Alexander Zetterberg is the only worthwhile player that didn't get drafted, as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, he's super undersized but he's a high octane player and he'll be developing at BU. Definitely worth a 7th round flyer.

Nobody should be shocked that Galvas went undrafted.

No defenseman that small is playing in the NHL. It's a total waste of a pick.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Literally was about to start a thread on the same topic, specifically mentioning Ustinkov lol. He was ranked:
#31 by THN/Ferrari
#38 by Smaht Scouting
#48 by DraftProspects
#44 by Recruit Scouting

Pretty crazy

Another one I find a bit surprising is Artyom Schuchinov, the guy played a full KHL season already as a dman.

I thought Schuchinov would go 100%

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Alexander Zetterberg is the only worthwhile player that didn't get drafted, as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, he's super undersized but he's a high octane player and he'll be developing at BU. Definitely worth a 7th round flyer.

Nobody should be shocked that Galvas went undrafted.

No defenseman that small is playing in the NHL. It's a total waste of a pick.
I am quite shocked tbh. Strictly height-wise, Galvas is 5'10". There are several defenseman at this height in the NHL, some of them even smaller. He's VERY tiny in terms of build/weight right now, but that is a matter of projection. And yes, while the chances of him becoming dramatically physically stronger/bigger are not very high, it's definitely not impossible.

Galvas is pretty much a textbook high-risk high-reward guy. He's a 1st rounder in terms of talent and had an extremely impressive Extraliga stint, which is one of the grittiest leagues in Europe. Calling a guy like this "a waste of a pick" seems pretty bold, since most players after round 1 are waste of a pick anyway. You just take a swing at a player like Galvas just for the talent alone.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Anthony Cristoforo is the main one for me out of the OHL.

In fact, a lot of OHLer were picked that I would've expected to be undrafted.
I expected Frankie Marrelli to get drafted. Great tools, lots of upside, way more talented than Luca. Was seen as a potential top 100 pick by many. Ultimately I think NHL teams thought he's too slight to play the way he wants to play...which I think is a shame.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Anthony Cristoforo is the main one for me out of the OHL.

In fact, a lot of OHLer were picked that I would've expected to be undrafted.
Christoforo does not project at the next level! Especially with the league returning to its love affair with big Dmen . Big (6’4 and up) with low-ish skill gets you at minimum a 7th round look .

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
I expected Frankie Marrelli to get drafted. Great tools, lots of upside, way more talented than Luca. Was seen as a potential top 100 pick by many. Ultimately I think NHL teams thought he's too slight to play the way he wants to play...which I think is a shame.
Too short, not too slight. Any Dman under 6ft better be lights out offensively to get a sniff in today’s NHL . League is all about the big Dman again ..

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I like Marrelli, but if he had great tools he would have been drafted, and probably quite early.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
From Sweden

Zetterberg with the best overall point season ever(5th ever in PPG) in Sweden U18 national team

Bodin, 6'4 216 good skater, decent numbers

Sterner 6'3 194, good J20 numbers

tthose are biggest omissions. Also Crookes, Hesselvall

Bonus Hjalte Kruse Thomsen from Denmark. Almost PPG in J20, 6'0

Reactions: Eye of Ra

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
#31 by THN/Ferrari
#38 by Smaht Scouting
#48 by DraftProspects
#44 by Recruit Scouting

Pretty crazy

I never understood Ustinkov being ranked that high, would expect a 6'0 Dman to have more standout qualities to be drafted top 40-50. He's more of "sum of parts" fairly average, give or take, across the board including size. I still would have expected that to get him selected in the middle to later rounds though. There's some power to his skating and just in general but maybe scouts felt that despite being young for the draft class, some of his success relative to his peers comes from being fairly advanced physically, already 200 lbs+ despite the average height. Maybe just weren't seeing a high ceiling or a lot of projection left, nor a floor that overly excites. Picks are essentially lottery tickets and teams like to dream on bigger prizes. Just trying to make sense of it...

Last edited:

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
From Sweden

Zetterberg with the best overall point season ever(5th ever in PPG) in Sweden U18 national team

Bodin, 6'4 216 good skater, decent numbers

Sterner 6'3 194, good J20 numbers

tthose are biggest omissions. Also Crookes, Hesselvall

Bonus Hjalte Kruse Thomsen from Denmark. Almost PPG in J20, 6'0
Wow. Some surprising Swedes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad