Best Stickhandlers Ever

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In historical order (and only NHLers, not including pre-NHLers & Soviets):

1. Frank Nighbor ("The Flying Dutchman")
2. Max Bentley ("The Dipsy Doodle Dandy")
3. Jean Beliveau
4. Gilbert Perreault
5. Alex Kovalev
6. Pavel Datsyuk

Six, sorry. I can't decide whom to cut.

Datsyuk was a lot like Nighbor in terms of exceptional two-way use of the stick, Perreault like Beliveau in terms of size and movement north-south, Bentley arguably the best of the bunch in terms of historical accolades and descriptions and Kovalev had staggering stickwork but flaws in other areas of his game.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Kovalev

In historical order (and only NHLers, not including pre-NHLers & Soviets):

1. Frank Nighbor ("The Flying Dutchman")
2. Max Bentley ("The Dipsy Doodle Dandy")
3. Jean Beliveau
4. Gilbert Perreault
5. Alex Kovalev
6. Pavel Datsyuk

Six, sorry. I can't decide whom to cut.

Datsyuk was a lot like Nighbor in terms of exceptional two-way use of the stick, Perreault like Beliveau in terms of size and movement north-south, Bentley arguably the best of the bunch in terms of historical accolades and descriptions and Kovalev had staggering stickwork but flaws in other areas of his game.

Cut Kovalev and Datsyuk, add Bobby Orr.

Last edited:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Does anyone else have Alexei Kovalev's stickhandling DVD? We tried some of the exercises when it first came out, but it came out 10 years too late to do me any good.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
M Lemieux
P Kane
A Zhamnov
Bure / Kovalev / Klima / Weight / Datsyuk (all tied for 4)
K Wellwood

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
...add Bobby Orr.

Came here to post that. Orr the best stickhandler Ive ever seen. Not something you generally equate with a Defenceman which made it all the more astounding not just at the time but in retrospect then & now.

Reactions: adsfan

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Based on what I've seen in-game at the NHL level:

Lemieux
Bure
Jagr
Datsyuk
Kovalev

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Makarov was the best stickhandler of his age, and probably the best dangler (stickhandling + skating/edgework/footwork/whatever-you-call-it) ever. You can argue, that Kovalev and Datsyuk could stickhandle as good as him, but Makarov was infinitely better skater, than both of them.

I think, the question should actually be more like, who was the best 1 vs 1/2/3/4/5 player ever.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Guys like Lemieux, Jagr, Gretzky have very good stickhandling but their PUCKhandling skills are better, as they use hockey sense and vision to put the puck where it's needed. I don't think any of them could crack the top-5 in terms of stickhandling. Just like Orr used skating and hockey sense to move the PUCK; Bobby's stickwork wasn't as central. Bure used speed, change of pace and direction in his skating and release to put the puck on net; Pavel's stickwork was very good but not central to his success.

If you wanna look at the greatest NHL players with elite stickhandling, I'd say Howie Morenz probably takes the cake. Maybe Beliveau. But otherwise the best stickhandlers (puck ON STICK ability) aren't top-20 all-time players.

one_morenz03.jpg

Canada’s Top 100: The Greatest Athletes of All Time said:
... Morenz dominated the ice with his aggressive play and dazzling stickhandling...

Canadiens Legends: Montreal’s Hockey Heroes said:
His spectacular rushes and brilliant stickhandling lifted fans out of their seats.

Last edited:

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Syl Apps deserves mention in this thread.

Joe Pelletier said:
Syl Apps ranks as one of the greatest captains in Toronto Maple Leaf history. A team captain from 1940 through 1943 and again from 1945 until his retirement in 1948, Apps was the star of the 1940s dynasty that captured 3 Stanley Cups with him at the helm.
Apps was an artistic a player as have ever played in the National Hockey League. They called him the “Nijinsky of the Ice,” comparing his graceful skating abilities to the happy feet of the great Russian ballet dancer Naslav Nijinsky. Equally as impressive were his puck skills – he had one of the most accurate shots and loved to set up his teammates – particularly Harvey "Busher" Jackson and Gordie Drillon. He could do tricks with the puck as he stickhandled down ice unlike almost any player of any era. Comparisons to modern day superstar Joe Sakic are not without merit. Several of the few old timers who are still with us insist Syl was the greatest player they had ever seen.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Soviets: Firsov, Kharlamov, Makarov, Maltsev, Balderis, Vikulov... probably forgot smbody

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Soviets: Firsov, Kharlamov, Makarov, Maltsev, Balderis, Vikulov... probably forgot smbody

Overall, Petrov wasn't as smooth as those players you mention, but I think he was an excellent stickhandler and deserves a mention; he didn't mishandle the puck much and I've been especially impressed by his hand-eye coordination (he could catch pucks out of the air effortlessly). But there are so many Soviets that were brilliant stickhandlers; not too many 'hands of stone' that I can think of.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Overall, Petrov wasn't as smooth as those players you mention, but I think he was an excellent stickhandler and deserves a mention; he didn't mishandle the puck much and I've been especially impressed by his hand-eye coordination (he could catch pucks out of the air effortlessly). But there are so many Soviets that were brilliant stickhandlers; not too many 'hands of stone' that I can think of.

I never considered Petrov as a great stickhandler - you'll barely find anything highlights worthy of him in this department (and it's pretty easy to do with any of names I mentioned). Petrov's highlights will be all about his absolutely unbelievable passing abilities - his vision was just sensational.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I never considered Petrov as a great stickhandler - you'll barely find anything highlights worthy of him in this department (and it's pretty easy to do with any of names I mentioned). Petrov's highlights will be all about his absolutely unbelievable passing abilities - his vision was just sensational.

The players you mentioned were all also much better, and faster (except Vikulov) skaters than Petrov, and so they could combine their puckhandling with their excellent skating; no wonder there are more highlights. And it wasn't in Petrov's nature to 'solo' much. But heck, I'll try to find some clips some time to show what I mean.

His passing abilities and vision were 'very good', I'd say. Maybe unbeliavable and sensational are slight exaggerations.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't think, there were a lot of great stickhandlers in the NHL before they started regularly play vs Soviet teams in 80s. Classic Canadian hockey was all about toughness, physical pressure, hard shots and playing around the nets.

Reactions: Danny46

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I don't think, there were a lot of great stickhandlers in the NHL before they started regularly play vs Soviet teams in 80s. Classic Canadian hockey was all about toughness, physical pressure, hard shots and playing around the nets.

The fact that so many older players- Morenz, Nighbor, Apps, Bentley, etc - were very much singled out for their fine motor skills in accounts of their play suggests otherwise. Without getting particularly granular about different strategies, a better way to describe the difference between the two cultures is East-West vs North-South. The former of which emphasizes passing more. It's not as if stick handling isn't important to both types of games.

Reactions: PetrCech

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad