Best Slovak player Of All Time #1

Who is the best Slovakian player of all time?

• Zigmund Palffy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lubomir Visnovsky

• Pavol Demitra

• Ladislav Trojak

• Jaroslav Halak

• Robert Svehla

• Total voters

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Why is Chara listed first?
And Hossa below Bondra?
... neither historical order nor splphabetical order.

Uni studies show: the top two poll option's get the lion's share of the votes the lion's shares of the time.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I know he was hurt all the time so he's basically disregarded here...but Gaborik is getting seriously underrated in the discussion. I'm not saying he's #1 necessarily...though, maybe on pure talent, he might be.
If one is judging by pure talent, I think Zigmund Palffy might actually be number 1 in that case.

Not the end all be all when players praise other players of course, but Hossa himself said in an interview that Palffy was the most talented player in Slovak history.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
How? He was literally a poor man's version of Bondra.
I actually like Gaborik a little more in space and off the rush. There's a hint more of balanced attacking with Gaborik for my liking too. Bondra had a better shot. I don't know, it's pretty close. I wouldn't go so far as to call Gaborik a "poor man's Bondra", I think that undersells him.

Gaborik also had to deal with growing up on a very defensive minded expansion team.

Reactions: Felidae

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Why is Chara listed first?
And Hossa below Bondra?
... neither historical order nor splphabetical order.
The order was just the first players that came to mind, and a little Google search for a few others.

Uni studies show: the top two poll option's get the lion's share of the votes the lion's shares of the time.
I'll put that theory to test and have Michal Handzus and Robert Svehla as the first 2 options in the next poll..

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
I actually like Gaborik a little more in space and off the rush. There's a hint more of balanced attacking with Gaborik for my liking too. Bondra had a better shot. I don't know, it's pretty close. I wouldn't go so far as to call Gaborik a "poor man's Bondra", I think that undersells him.

Gaborik also had to deal with growing up on a very defensive minded expansion team.
From NT perspective, Bondra was much better defensively, more physical and much more of a leader and clutch player. Gáborík & Demitra were always the knock-off version of Bondra & Pálffy that never managed to get it done.

Reactions: nabby12

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I know he was hurt all the time so he's basically disregarded here...but Gaborik is getting seriously underrated in the discussion. I'm not saying he's #1 necessarily...though, maybe on pure talent, he might be.
Sure but then injuries happened.

I remember seeing him as a young player in Vancouver and he looked electric (in a Bure kind of way) but his production never really matched the eye test and sure some of that was the coaching system in Minny but he is a bit like Hemsky, Kent Nilsson or in modern times Matt Barzal in that the actual results never really lived up to the hype.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview

I remember seeing him as a young player in Vancouver and he looked electric (in a Bure kind of way) but his production never really matched the eye test and sure some of that was the coaching system in Minny but he is a bit like Hemsky, Kent Nilsson or in modern times Matt Barzal in that the actual results never really lived up to the hype.
Sort of agree, but part of the hype for these players is they really were close to accomplishing great things in their peak years. Depending on the season, if one is near or above point-per-game when one is the primary offensive weapon, that is pretty damn good. But yeah, I don't think Gaborik is in the conversation for either best or greatest Slovak hockey player. It's between Peter Stastny, Zdeno Chara, and Marian Hossa.

Reactions: wetcoast

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Gabbie might have been the BEST!
(Some might say, reasonably)

But he certainly wasn't the greatest.

One has to do with skill shown and the other with career accomplishments.

(Brady is the greatest QB but barely makes a top-5 best QB list.)

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

At his best right up there with any of them. Don’t believe he put together a better career than Chara or Stastny though.

Began thinking how he compares to Bondra as well. Pretty similar players.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

He played in the lowest scoring era, with very little support on defensive minded teams. Those 40 goal seasons are as good or better than a vast majority of 50 goal seasons really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad