Best rivalry in international play?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tony2532

Jun 3, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie, On
Rogalo said:
Used to. Not anymore. Now games against you (Canada) are the most prestigous :) and right behind it are the games against Slovakia.

I think this is true as the Czechs always play Canada tough. Unfortunately, it is not seen as a big rival game by Canada. By that I mean that Canadian teams don't seem to get as emotionally charged up for games against the Czechs as they do for the US or Russia.

Eldrick

Apr 23, 2004
tony2532 said:
I think this is true as the Czechs always play Canada tough. Unfortunately, it is not seen as a big rival game by Canada. By that I mean that Canadian teams don't seem to get as emotionally charged up for games against the Czechs as they do for the US or Russia.
That's starting to change I think. For the most part (save the World Cup semis) the Czechs have owned us ever since Nagano. Maybe if Canada needs to start getting sick of losing to them and get more emotionally fired up. That would turn it into a great rivalry.

Oilers1*

Obviously, I don't know since I'm not Russian, but I can't see how the Canada-Russia rivalry WOULDN'T matter to Russians. Canada, for many years, was the only country that had the talent to match the Russians.

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Laraque27 said:
Obviously, I don't know since I'm not Russian, but I can't see how the Canada-Russia rivalry WOULDN'T matter to Russians. Canada, for many years, was the only country that had the talent to match the Russians.
It does matter to Russians, it's always special beating Canada and we take great pride when it happends, it's just not as big of a deal as it is for Canadians...We don't hate Canadiens like they hate us...

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Laraque27 said:

It probably does matter but it's still relatively one-sides, that makes it less fierce rivalry than Sweden-Finland for example.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
ice berg slim said:
I personally think the Czech vs. Canada rivalry makes for the best hockey. From the '98 olympics to the Salt lake 3-3 draw and even in last years World Cup OT thrilla.

Czech vs. Canada has developed into a nice rivalry, but I don't think that this always makes for the best hockey to watch. The Czech's have a lot of exciting players, but they only play an exciting style if they fall behind in a game. If they get the lead, they trap and kill the game off like no one else.

I find Canada vs. Russia they best hockey to watch, because it tends to be wide open. Despite the different styles that they play, I think both these teams come into a game with an offensive mindset, rather than sitting back and waiting for your opponent to make a mistake. Canada's straight-ahead charges vs. the swirling attack of the Russians makes for a beautiful game.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I agree 100% with Westlander.

As a Canadian hockey fan, I fear the Czech Republic the most. They play a very tough defensive system that makes it difficult to score. As far as pure excitement goes I have to say that I always look forward to the Canada-Russia games. They are always fast and intense.

The above applies to senior men's hockey only. At the Junior level its totally different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad