Best Program for Producing Talent

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I was thinking today about what junior teams are the best at producing talent for the nhl talent and it got me to wondering this: what is the most years in a row in which a team has had a player drafted in the first round? Anyone have any ideas?

hockeyguy18*

Technically the NTDP program always has someone in the first round since they've been around, haven't they? :naughty:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Technically the NTDP program always has someone in the first round since they've been around, haven't they? :naughty:

I am sure if someone did the research, the USNDP would be the team that has continually put out the most draft picks per season...

but that is the point of the program, and if it didn't do that, then what would the point be.

As for the CHL, that I do not know, London has been a beast over the past how many years at developing NHL talent...or at least sending players to the draft.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
sorry but ohl takes a backseat here

american colleges like michigan, minnesota, wisconsin, north dakota and bc produce crazy talent

other then those

Kelowna is great

cosmicnavigator

Aug 26, 2008
Sweden
In Sweden it was MODO but talent goes to other places now

Forsberg
Naslund
H Sedin
D Sedin
Enström
Edler
Hedman
Sundström
Phålsson
Timander

Borderline nhl players
Wienhandl
H Jonsson
Svartvadet
Lindström

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008

american colleges like michigan, minnesota, wisconsin, north dakota and bc produce crazy talent

other then those

Kelowna is great

Ya but remember most colleges dont take one players until their 18 - 19. Those players are usually first developed either in the USHL, BCHL, OJHL, or US high school

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009

other then those

Kelowna is great

I'm sorry but London, Kitchener and recently Windsor have put forth more talent than any American schools.

Take Windsors recent history:
2008 draft: #9 Josh Bailey(NYI) #25 Greg Nemisz(CGY) #82 Adam Henrique(NJD)
2009 draft: #11 Ryan Ellis(NSH) #13 Zach Kassian(now with Windsor)(BUF) #58 Jesse Blacker(TML)
2010 draft #1 Taylor Hall(prediction) #3 Cam Fowler(prediciton) #15-#25 Austin Watson(now with Peterborough, developed by Windsor) #15-#30 Jack Campbell(will play in Windsor next season). Rounds #1-#2 Tom Khunhackl(will most likely play in Windsor next season)

I didn't even include rounds 4+. Of course we will have to wait to see how these guys pan out, but I think its safe to say a good number of those kids make the jump. Find me an American school that has put out that much talent in 3 years.

Here is some from London and Kitchener as well.

2001 #2 Jason Spezza - Windsor Spitfires #23 Tim Gleason - Windsor Spitfires #32 Derek Roy - Kitchener Rangers
2002 NHL draft #1 Rick Nash - London Knights #12 Steve Eminger - Kitchener Rangers #244 Denis Wideman - London Knights
2003 #24 Mike Richards - Kitchener Rangers #28 Corey Perry - London Knights
2005 #29 Steve Downie - Windsor/Kitchener
2007 #1 Patrick Kane - London Knights #6 Sam Gagner - London Knights
2008 #8 Michael Boedker - Kitchener Rangers
2009 #1 John Tavares - London Knights #7 Nazem Kadri London Knights/Kitchener Rangers

Thats a lot of high end talent.

Last edited:

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I'm sorry but London, Kitchener and recently Windsor have put forth more talent than any American schools.

Take Windsors recent history:
2008 draft: #9 Josh Bailey(NYI) #25 Greg Nemisz(CGY) #82 Adam Henrique(NJD)
2009 draft: #11 Ryan Ellis(NSH) #13 Zach Kassian(now with Windsor)(BUF) #58 Jesse Blacker(TML)
2010 draft #1 Taylor Hall(prediction) #3 Cam Fowler(prediciton) #15-#25 Austin Watson(now with Peterborough, developed by Windsor) #15-#30 Jack Campbell(will play in Windsor next season). Rounds #1-#2 Tom Khunhackl(will most likely play in Windsor next season)

I didn't even include rounds 4+. Of course we will have to wait to see how these guys pan out, but I think its safe to say a good number of those kids make the jump. Find me an American school that has put out that much talent in 3 years.

Here is some from London and Kitchener as well.

2001 #2 Jason Spezza - Windsor Spitfires #23 Tim Gleason - Windsor Spitfires #32 Derek Roy - Kitchener Rangers
2002 NHL draft #1 Rick Nash - London Knights #12 Steve Eminger - Kitchener Rangers #244 Denis Wideman - London Knights
2003 #24 Mike Richards - Kitchener Rangers #28 Corey Perry - London Knights
2004 #10 Boris Valabik - Kitchener
2005 #19 Jakub Kindl; #22 Matt Lashoff - both Kitchener#29 Steve Downie - Windsor/Kitchener
2007 #1 Patrick Kane - London Knights #6 Sam Gagner - London Knights
2008 #8 Michael Boedker - Kitchener Rangers
2009 #1 John Tavares - London Knights #7 Nazem Kadri London Knights/Kitchener Rangers

Thats a lot of high end talent.

Just filled in a few more holes. One also has to consider that David Clarkson was signed out of Kitchener and Danny Syvret out of London.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Just filled in a few more holes. One also has to consider that David Clarkson was signed out of Kitchener and Danny Syvret out of London.

There are a bunch of players he has missed from London alone - Steve Mason, Rob Schremp, Dave Bolland, Phil McRae and a few others I'm sure.

I don't know if any team has as many #1 picks as London. 5 since 1976, 3 in the last decade.

It would be interesting to see how many schools could take alumni playing in the NHL and make a mock team that could compete. The knights could, I'm sure a few others (Kelowna, Minnesota, Michigan, Kitchener) could as well.

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009

Yes I'm sure no program has kids drafted out of it that end up not making it.

You just helped prove my point that London/Kitchener/Windsor have had a fairly good record at making sure the kids drafted out of their programs become solid NHL players.

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009
There are a bunch of players he has missed from London alone - Steve Mason, Rob Schremp, Dave Bolland, Phil McRae and a few others I'm sure.

It would be interesting to see how many schools could take alumni playing in the NHL and make a mock team that could compete. The knights could, I'm sure a few others (Kelowna, Minnesota, Michigan, Kitchener) could as well.

Yeah I just went through it quickly trying to get the most proven, high impact guys. But like you said Mason/Shremp/Bolland etc. could all be added in.

I don't know if any team has as many #1 picks as London. 5 since 1976, 3 in the last decade.

I beleive the number is 4 going back to 1976 which is the highest for any club/program.

Oil Nation

Oct 3, 2007
While not in the NHL draft the Calgary Hitmen have recently sent a player to the World Juniors on Team Canada for 7 years in a Row. They are pretty good at putting out the talent.

I think the list is as follows (someone will flame me if I am wrong)

2009 - Kozun/Jones
2008 - Sonne
2007 - Alzner
2006 - Alzner
2005 - Pogge
2004 - Getzlaf/Ladd
2003 - Getzlaf

Wild33

Mar 27, 2009
Shattuck St. Mary's. Although many great players show up there already with a ton of talent they do a great job at making them even better and producing at the next levels of their career.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Shattuck St Mary's Alumni are ridiculous...

Sidney Crosby
Ty Conklin
Patrick Eaves
Angelo Esposito
Kyle Okposo
Zach Parise
Jonathan Toews

If someone brings up the fact that these guys were good before they got there then this whole arguement goes to crap. 90% of the guys who play juniors and make it are already well on their way to being awesome before they even step foot in a junior locker room.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
There was an article in the little local paper the other day about Kelowna's recent run of D-men. Some names:
-Weber
-Keith
-Myers
-L.Schenn
-Edler
-Gorges
-Cumiskey

Some forwards:
-Moen
-Fiddler
-Benn
-Comeau

Some prospects:
-Shane McColgan (2011)
-Tyson Barrie (Colorado '09)

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Shattuck St Mary's Alumni are ridiculous...

Sidney Crosby
Ty Conklin
Patrick Eaves
Angelo Esposito
Kyle Okposo
Zach Parise
Jonathan Toews

If someone brings up the fact that these guys were good before they got there then this whole arguement goes to crap. 90% of the guys who play juniors and make it are already well on their way to being awesome before they even step foot in a junior locker room.

Jack Johnson was there too if I'm not mistaken, where he met Crosby!

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Just for fun:

The NHL version of the London Knights.

R Nash - D Bolland - P Kane
C Perry - J Tavares - S Kostitsyn
R Schremp - S Gagner - D Fritsche
B Prust - C Kelly - K Barch
T Kostopolous

D Wideman - M Del Zotto
D Girardi - J Carlson
M Pelech -D Syvret
J Erskine

Steve Mason
Adam Dennis
Gerald Coleman

Defense and goaltending is pretty bad but the offense is actually decent. Lots of players in the AHL that could make a jump, plus a few that are still playing for the knights. (Kadri, McRae, and Varone)

Rally Donkey

Aug 13, 2009
Chatham, Ont
I am sure if someone did the research, the USNDP would be the team that has continually put out the most draft picks per season...

but that is the point of the program, and if it didn't do that, then what would the point be.

As for the CHL, that I do not know, London has been a beast over the past how many years at developing NHL talent...or at least sending players to the draft.

Dreamer, the way you gush about the NTDP kids all the time, I got the impression you knew everything about the program. Unless they've changed their mission, though, it has never been to get the most players drafted by the NHL each year. I have heard them say and seen in writing that it's about getting them Div I scholarships (which half of them already have before they get into the program in the first place).

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
In Sweden it was MODO but talent goes to other places now

Forsberg
Naslund
H Sedin
D Sedin
Enström
Edler
Hedman
Sundström
Phålsson
Timander

Borderline nhl players
Wienhandl
H Jonsson
Svartvadet
Lindström
Weinhandl was drafted, when he was a Troja/Ljungby player, and Edler, when he was a Jämtland Hockey player. It doesn't change the fact that Modo has produced a lot of good players (especially in the 90s), but I just wanted to point it out.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
Weinhandl was drafted, when he was a Troja/Ljungby player, and Edler, when he was a Jämtland Hockey player. It doesn't change the fact that Modo has produced a lot of good players (especially in the 90s), but I just wanted to point it out.

What happened to Weinhandl?
Can anybody give me a short overview of his career?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Here would MN NHL team. The top 5 D men are great but the forwards lack depth.

Vanek- Okposo- Kessel
Wheeler- Ryan Potulny- Ryan Stoa
Taffe- Pohl- Tallackson
Westrum- Wyatt Smith- Irmen

Erik Johnson- Paul Martin
Keith Ballard- Alex Goligoski
Jordan Leopold- Derek Peltier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad