Best players to just not get the shot in the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
In 1988 Washington offered him an NHL contract and a Swedish second league team a few beers. He took the beers and went to Malmö. Lindmark had no interest in going to North America (or probably even Stockholm).
Interesting. I had just read an article that he was quoted in about coming over, but again, that was back in '84...tastes can change. The Caps got Don Beaupre around this time, they probably netted a fairly similar outcome I imagine.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yes, but he was a hall of fame player which means that it is reasonable to conclude that he received a bigger chance than a player who is a bottom six level player but still good enough for the nhl. So if a hall of fame level player only got 2 small shots, doesn’t it make sense logically that there are bottom six level players who received no chances?

What you’re saying proves the other guy’s hypothesis that those who should be in the NHL inevitably find a way to prove it. He was given a sliver of opportunity and he made a HHOF career out of it.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Interesting. I had just read an article that he was quoted in about coming over, but again, that was back in '84...tastes can change. The Caps got Don Beaupre around this time, they probably netted a fairly similar outcome I imagine.
He was a colorful personality to say the least, from the far north like Salming. Highly talented and competitive, but no work ethic to speak of. Basically maintained the attitude of a beer leaguer that just happened to be good enough for the highest levels.

• Haha
Reactions: Michael Farkas

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Easy answer. The Soviets of the 60's through the 70's. The whole Soviet National Team could have played in the NHL. The Soviets top stars were some of the best players in the world. Changed the game of hockey forever.

Reactions: ForsbergForever

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Dmitri Kvartalov?

72 points in 73 games as a rookie for the Bruins in 92-93 - Then played 39 games the next year and only had 19 points. He played in the A that same year and had 26 points in 23 games... Then poof.

He went to Europe for the rest of his career but looking back, man, he had a damn strong rookie season for the Bruins.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Kvartalnov was already 28 and didn't play the right way™. Fine offensive instincts but non-physical and defensively suspect, that just didn't fly in Boston after the Bruins were swept by the Sabres in the playoffs and Kvartalnov was a complete non-factor after having been a top-line forward in the regular season. Even with his flaws he would have been good enough to make a longer NHL career with a bad team, I don't think the Senators would have got rid of him.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Watching Ralph Intranuovo here in Cape Breton, we all felt if he was born 15 years later, he would have been an NHL player for a good 10 years.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Hot take: nobody who’s actually good enough to play in the NHL has ever not made it.

I’m not talking about some five foot six skill player like a Matthew Phillips who’s got talent but obvious physical limitations.

I’m talking about a player with the ability to take a regular shift in the NHL, who’s reliable defensively, and can finish around the net/be physical/not have the play die every time he touches the puck.

Maybe back when there were six teams sure - but in the post-expansion era?

Not happening. If you can play, you can play.

I bet a whole host of Eastern Bloc players could've thrived in the NHL had teams properly known how to integrate and enculturate them. It's a process teams have learned to do over the past 30 years.

The game was much different back in the day. Less globalized. Throwing some ex-Soviet fresh off the boat onto NHL ice and telling him "here's your chance" isn't as much of a chance as it seems.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's not like the NHL has ever taken much care of its players, foreign or otherwise. In Europe it's long been normal for professional organizations to take care of all of the basic needs of their players, certainly the foreign imports. They can focus on hockey while the team finds them an apartment, car, kindergarten for the kids etc. In the NHL the attitude has long been learn to swim fast or drown and someone else will take your place.

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
As others have said, Corey Locke. Apparently NHL scouts know what they're doing - I remember being dumfounded that he fell to the 4th round. Players who dominate the OHL as thoroughly as Locke did in his draft year invariably become good NHL players, usually stars. He must've been an outright bad skater - I was too young to really pay close attention, but I did follow the stat sheets. Really weird outlier

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
As others have said, Corey Locke. Apparently NHL scouts know what they're doing - I remember being dumfounded that he fell to the 4th round. Players who dominate the OHL as thoroughly as Locke did in his draft year invariably become good NHL players, usually stars. He must've been an outright bad skater - I was too young to really pay close attention, but I did follow the stat sheets. Really weird outlier
I watched lots of Locke when he was in Hamilton. Offensive wizard at that level but his skating, defensive play and size wasn't a combo for NHL success. The ultimate AAAA player they talk about in the MLB, Locke was that guy.

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
I watched lots of Locke when he was in Hamilton. Offensive wizard at that level but his skating, defensive play and size wasn't a combo for NHL success. The ultimate AAAA player they talk about in the MLB, Locke was that guy.
That seems like a fair assessment. His OHL performance is just a really big outlier. 151 points in his D+1 season (technically his draft year, but he went unselected his first year of eligibility) is way more than Marner, Perry, Ryan, Strome, Spezza etc put up in their D+1 season. Pretty good evidence scouts get paid for a reason.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
You'll never convince me Josh Ho-Sang wouldn't have turned into a solid middle 6 player if he was given an actual shot

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
Goalie Zach Fucale, drafted 36th overall by the Canadiens in 2013.

4 GP in 8 years: 1.75 GAA, .924 SV%. Longest shutout streak to start a career in NHL history, 138:31.

Now starting for Traktor in the KHL.
IIRC , he was fairly good at the WJCs. Everyone touted him to be a legit starter from I remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad