Best National Team by Origin of Last Name

Aug 3, 2010
Just another summer thread.

So, before the mods have to shut this down because someone won't get the topic and ruin the thread with stupidity - this isn't about ethnic or cultural background but merely the origin of their last name (as the Americas and many other countries are culturally diverse.)

For example, Gretzky is a Polish/Ukrainian origin last name but his cultural identity is Canadian/American in nature.
McDavid is a Scottish/Irish last name but Canadian in cultural identity.
Regehr, born in Brazil, not Brazilian culturally or ethnically, represents Canada and the surname is a variant of the German surname Regier (says Google.)

So even though Canada has the best players on a national level, I'm curious as to which country by surname origin alone has the strongest representation because there's no surname history that really belongs specifically as a "Canadian last name" or "American last name".

My guess is either France or some German or Irish/Scottish mix of surname representation would make for the strongest "national" team and would like to see what posters can come up with.

Aug 3, 2010
How dominant would it be if it was USSR vs just Russia?
No idea as I wasn't a sentient human at that time, but still, I think there would be some separation as nations under the USSR regime still had a separate cultural identity with their last names reflecting their region of origin, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad