Value of: best LW@50% for 2022 top 10 protected 1st+Amirov/Robertson/Niemela+2021 2nd+Ritche to Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I get you want the best add possible, that logically suggests strongest fortify of your roster going forward.

But who is available, and at what reasonable price, which is a better option than R Strome?
who?
Tarasenko -- but salary $ even w/max retain seems a no.

Who else?
who?

Strome has to go.
Self renting for NY is hubris, self indulgent folly.

bottom line is we can't add his salary next year.
ergo, this yr is irrelevant

Regardless of how far we push into po's this yr, our best move is to add futures that do not add salary, which can build depth or be flipped later on.

Another Tavares type exit is not acceptable.
Tarasenko is a RW, and the Blues are not a) retaining on his salary or b) taking cap dumps back

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Please go back and give a full read.

Strome likely to re-sign w/Leafs at a mo reasonable # than otherwise.
And am willing to do you full chat w/his peeps so extension is instant upon his acquisition.
That defeats your legit concern of getting somebody who walks and it cost you.

You could gamble you get him free in ufa, but no guarantee there and w/nyr selling anyway, there is a chance he is a comfy fit for another team who will pay the 1m-ish more per so he doesn't hit the market.

Also have to weigh the cost/risk of a later 1at, then wait a yr/2, then more time to work into lineup, assuming your draft pick is good. That's as opposed to plug and play Strome being a known commodity in his prime, short term 4-5 yr deal ending his early 30s, contributing now.

pls advise if above makes enuf dif to do deal

--------
Dif pros and cons to each
opportunity unique to each situation

agree generally speaking there is a general need to build a solid foundation,
then splurge add as makes dif to get you to the top
Hi Bern.

Even in an imaginary sense, I am not remotely connected with the Leafs' management and your suggestion that I have a full chat with his people is over the top. Even in an imaginary world.

I wouldn't want the Leafs to acquire Ryan Strome. He doesn't really add anything to their current roster.

Even if the Leafs could re-sign Strome long-term, I am still not interested in the Leafs adding him to the roster.

I know you are just responding to another Leafs' fan who was asking about trading for a winger. I just don't think the Leafs need to trade for a winger and certainly not Ryan Strome. So, despite your best efforts, I am not persuaded but I am not the only Leafs' fan in the room.

Reactions: bernmeister

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
So whats the best LW out there that a 2022 top ten protected 1st+ 1 of Robertson/Amirov/Niemela+2022 2nd+Ritche can get
Term wise if its a rental it best be 1 of the best on the market, preferably 1 to 2 yrs left on a deal and salary coming in around 3-3.5 max @50%

Skinner. All yours. He loves life in Toronto. LOL

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
With such uncertainty about our team being built to win I wouldn't mortgage the futures we do have.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Tarasenko is a RW, and the Blues are not a) retaining on his salary or b) taking cap dumps back

Agree
he is RW but figured he is quality name so maybe off wing, being helpful on the ?.
That said I don't see him as a fit to Leafs esp
given a) and b) above and without them, Leafs cannot even remotely do Tara.

Just to be clear, I was not advocating Tara
I was making the pt that like Tara????? is still a no and Strome is best fit option.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hi Bern.

Even in an imaginary sense, I am not remotely connected with the Leafs' management and your suggestion that I have a full chat with his people is over the top. Even in an imaginary world.

I wouldn't want the Leafs to acquire Ryan Strome. He doesn't really add anything to their current roster.

Even if the Leafs could re-sign Strome long-term, I am still not interested in the Leafs adding him to the roster.

I know you are just responding to another Leafs' fan who was asking about trading for a winger. I just don't think the Leafs need to trade for a winger and certainly not Ryan Strome. So, despite your best efforts, I am not persuaded but I am not the only Leafs' fan in the room.

fair enuf

I think we all know what I meant by mgmt haviug pow wow w/his people, btw.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
So whats the best LW out there that a 2022 top ten protected 1st+ 1 of Robertson/Amirov/Niemela+2022 2nd+Ritche can get
Term wise if its a rental it best be 1 of the best on the market, preferably 1 to 2 yrs left on a deal and salary coming in around 3-3.5 max @50%

So, the Leafs are going to leave themselves with a total of 1 draft pick, being a 7th rounder, in the upcoming draft?

They're going to do so while only having drafted 3 players in 2021, AND trade away one of their top prospects???

Call me crazy, but the Leafs "blew their wad" at the deadline last year, and all they had to show for it was 4 games with 1 assist from Nick Foligno and 2 games of nothing from Riley Nash.

No, the Leafs left wing isn't perfect, but to be honest, there's likely some deck-shuffling to happen, especially when Mikheyev comes back. Maybe, if he doesn't get going pretty quickly, or Ritchie continues to struggle, they look to do a "change of scenery" type move for one or both of these guys (or Engvall); but I don't forsee them moving their 1st rounder this year, unless it's the kind of deal where perhaps a 1st goes out and 3rd comes back.

The other issue of course is, if Ritchie is the only man out, they're pretty much limited to guys that make $4.5m or less who a team would retain 50% on.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012

Miller at 50%

for

Toronto's 2201 - 1st (top 10 protected)
Knies
Toronto's 2022 - 2nd
Ritchie

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

The Best LW available talent wise is Evander Kane and I don't think he will cost top assets

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Miller at 50%

for

Toronto's 2201 - 1st (top 10 protected)
Knies
Toronto's 2022 - 2nd
Ritchie

So Toronto is going to leave themselves with a grand total of 3 draft picks between the 2021 and 2022 drafts, with those 3 picks being a 5th, 6th, and 7th rounder??

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Kane @50% fits what you're asking for. He's a bum but on the ice he is a 30 goal scoring power forward. You'd have to send us a Kerfoot/Holl/Kampf/Kase/Ritchie back to fit comfortably under the cap.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Agree
he is RW but figured he is quality name so maybe off wing, being helpful on the ?.
That said I don't see him as a fit to Leafs esp
given a) and b) above and without them, Leafs cannot even remotely do Tara.

Just to be clear, I was not advocating Tara
I was making the pt that like Tara????? is still a no and Strome is best fit option.
understand... was just pointing it out. and to my knowledge, Vladi has never played LW. I believe he set up on the left side on the PP last year when Hoffman was on a tear and Vladi was just getting back in the lineup. other than that, I don't ever remember seeing him on the Left

Reactions: bernmeister

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Only giving a first like the Muzz trade - with term left. Not just a deadline player.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
So Toronto is going to leave themselves with a grand total of 3 draft picks between the 2021 and 2022 drafts, with those 3 picks being a 5th, 6th, and 7th rounder??

Are you saying they have never done that before?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Are you saying they have never done that before?
No, I don't believe a team has ever put themselves in a position where over 2 drafts, they have a total of 3 picks -- all being outside of the first 4 rounds.

One could justify their 2021 draft by the fact that the Leafs went to the microphone 12 times the previous year, and got a the WJC defenceman of the tournament in the 3rd round.

However, I just don't see them going with even fewer 2022 picks than the 3 they have left, nor do I see them trading Matthew Knies.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
No, I don't believe a team has ever put themselves in a position where over 2 drafts, they have a total of 3 picks -- all being outside of the first 4 rounds.

One could justify their 2021 draft by the fact that the Leafs went to the microphone 12 times the previous year, and got a the WJC defenceman of the tournament in the 3rd round.

However, I just don't see them going with even fewer 2022 picks than the 3 they have left, nor do I see them trading Matthew Knies.

It's the Leafs for crips sake! think about it! The Leafs!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad