Best Fighter Ever

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I'm inclined to answer Behn Wilson for whatever reason...

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
best technical fighter, or best in the role?

Kocur has to be up there in the conversation.
I don't recall him ever really getting beat that bad, and his right hand put the fearof God into a whole lot of guys.

Probert played the role so well though, it's just too bad he couldn't keep his personal life straight.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Probert wins this title with goo dreason. Greatest heavweight from the mid to late 80's through nmost of the 90's. Had the title for a long time, avenged his losses, didn't duck anyone, and whooped more ass than any other player to ever lace em up!

Behn Wilson and Dave Brown 2, and 3...Which ever way you want them.

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Alexander Ragulin :yo: He just didn't have to fight to prove it. Opponents got the message before someone got hurt.

Check out Phil Esposito's (not the smallest nor weakest man himself) downright nasty check on Ragulin in G6 of the Summit Series; it's Espo who ends up landing on his butt.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I'm not sure I ever saw someone consistently do as much damage to the opponent as Wendel Clark. He was vicious, and he didn't stop till the linesmen dragged him away. Win, lose, or draw, your face was generally pretty mangled after dropping them with The Wendel.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'm not sure I ever saw someone consistently do as much damage to the opponent as Wendel Clark. He was vicious, and he didn't stop till the linesmen dragged him away. Win, lose, or draw, your face was generally pretty mangled after dropping them with The Wendel.

You're right, just ask Cam Neely. Clark was probably the best fighter ever for his size (although Jonathan and Domi would disagree). It's a shame because you went to war with a guy like that, and he had your back

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Nick Fotiu, John Ferguson,Sr.
Expected to see Fergy's name here eventually. IMO, he was a very over-rated fighter. Picked his fights very carefully. Only notable fighter he ever beat was Ted Green. He avoided guys like Howe & Kurtenbach like the plague. Made the mistake of tangling with Bobby Hull & lost & avoided Hull after that. Plus he was a notorious sucker puncher. Fergy usually got a few punches in before the other guy knew there was a fight. To me, he epitomizes the school yard bully. Tough until you stand up to him.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Expected to see Fergy's name here eventually. IMO, he was a very over-rated fighter. Picked his fights very carefully. Only notable fighter he ever beat was Ted Green. He avoided guys like Howe & Kurtenbach like the plague. Made the mistake of tangling with Bobby Hull & lost & avoided Hull after that. Plus he was a notorious sucker puncher. Fergy usually got a few punches in before the other guy knew there was a fight. To me, he epitomizes the school yard bully. Tough until you stand up to him.

Interesting take.

Fergie was actually in talks to fight George Chuvalo at the CNE one summer so his reputation obviously preceeded him.

Beliveau called him the most imposing man to ever wear the Canadiens jersey and Pollock begged him to come out of retirement in 1971. High praise.

All I know is that in talking to Baun and players of the time, in the years before Ferguson arrived they believed that you could push the Habs around & intimidate them. That changed after his arrival. Also finished second to Laperriere for rookie of the year in 1964.

Last edited:

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Interesting take.

Fergie was actually in talks to fight George Chuvalo at the CNE one summer so his reputation obviously preceeded him.

Beliveau called him the most imposing man to ever wear the Canadiens jersey and Pollock begged him to come out of retirement in 1971. High praise.

All I know is that in talking to Baun and players of the time, in the years before Ferguson arrived they believed that you could push the Habs around & intimidate them. That changed after his arrival. Also finished second to Laperriere for rookie of the year in 1964.
No doubt fergie had a reputation. He was nasty but IMO picked his spots very carefully & had a reputation as a sucker puncher. of course, they loved him in Montreal. Chuvalo would have knocked him out in seconds. 64 must have been a horrible year for rookies.

Other than Green, who of significance did he fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad