Best Core Player for Future Captain

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i would pick taylor hall for the sole reason that he is the only player capable of putting the whole team on his back at any given time. when your captain is on the ice changing the game you have no choice but to follow.

thats my issue on ference, even if he is a great leader in the room, even on his best day he doesnt have the ability to change a game.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I agree 110%. if oilers get McDavid or Eichel and i wonder how Hall is going to react about it.

im guessing it will be similar to how he reacted to RNH. ;Lets not get carried away here and make Hall seem worse than he is.

I am sure he will have no issues getting another elite teammate to help stop being the loser of a team that he is on.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Hall was the #1 choice as captain up until the last 20 games, now hes all the sudden cancer in the room. hahhahahah

This board really is crazy.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hopkins is more responsible.
Hopkins has more heart when he brings his A game.

Hall doesn't do that stuff. he's just blessed physically and pushes himself but he doesn't really care about any of the details.

If Eberle becomes the captain i'll die and go to hell.

This was always the case for me.

For me, it comes down to Nurse, Klefbom, RNH and if we do get McDavid, it would be him. All would make good captains.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This was always the case for me.

For me, it comes down to Nurse, Klefbom, RNH and if we do get McDavid, it would be him. All would make good captains.

I don't think it's a good idea to talk about someone being a future captain unless they're already doing everything that you look for in a captain.

We may be to blame for what Talor Hall has turned into. The whole city has been talking about him being the future captain for years now. Can't blame him if it went to his head.

commie

Jul 30, 2005
However next year if we get to replace captains, I'd choose Hendricks. Only because I've seen him sometimes talking to the bench, get them to wake up etc.

Heck no to Hendricks as the captain. I love the guy and the way he competes, but its about time the Oilers stop giving the captain to bunch of plumbers. No more Moreau's and Ferences of the world to be captain.

The captain needs to go to their best player or at least one of the best skilled player.

The Oilers want to be this high octane high skilled team, they can't have a plumber leading them.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
You should have either none of the above or someone else

most are going for Hall I assume--but I am in the minority and believe he is part of the problem

Agree Completely.

Nobody currently on this roster is the correct answer. The Captain should be the player most impactful in turning this gongshow around.

Hall is not that player.

Gambl0r83*

You should have either none of the above or someone else

most are going for Hall I assume--but I am in the minority and believe he is part of the problem

So, the top point getter for the oilers for the past 2 years (by far), the player the NHL considers the best left wing in the league, the only player to go out there every night and play with passion and aggressiveness, the face of our team and unspoken leader...is part of the problem

:laugh: *Derp*

This team without taylor hall is scary bad. One month after he would get traded, you will regret this statement.

People love to go through that 6 game sample where Nuge was without Hall, and then put out statements saying trade Hall, Nuge is better without him. What a bunch of children, seriously...SMH

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
I don't think it's a good idea to talk about someone being a future captain unless they're already doing everything that you look for in a captain.

We may be to blame for what Talor Hall has turned into. The whole city has been talking about him being the future captain for years now. Can't blame him if it went to his head.

Bob Stauffer sometimes criticizes Eric Lindross for not altering his game for the NHL. Of course he was a dominant force but he was never required to add nuance to his game. He never needed to worry about the open ice hit in junior, he was huge and powerful. He was so much better than everyone he didn't need to adapt anything. I sometimes worry that is the same fate for Hall(not the Hart trophy winning part). He gets buy on his god given talent and his relentlessness and he's a heck of a good hockey player. Question is, how good could he be? Is he capable of more? Many people question his hockey IQ, that right there is why certain players can take it to the next level. If Hall only seperates himself by his speed, what happens when the injuries and beating catches up to him? What does he fall back on?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
So, the top point getter for the oilers for the past 2 years (by far), the player the NHL considers the best left wing in the league, the only player to go out there every night and play with passion and aggressiveness, the face of our team and unspoken leader...is part of the problem

This team without taylor hall is scary bad. One month after he would get traded, you will regret this statement

The team with him is scary bad.

He's the best player on the team. But everyone on the roster is a part of the problem.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013

This team without taylor hall is scary bad. One month after he would get traded, you will regret this statement

Read my post. I don't want to take away any of the positive things Hall contributes to the team, its a ton. It doesn't absolve him from any criticism.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

This team without taylor hall is scary bad. One month after he would get traded, you will regret this statement.

People love to go through that 6 game sample where Nuge was without Hall, and then put out statements saying trade Hall, Nuge is better without him. What a bunch of children, seriously...SMH

A lot of people were saying Jarome Iginla was part of the problem during his latter years in Calgary. I wonder if the same is true about Taylor Hall. The Flames are playing better now than they have in a very long time.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Hall should have been named captain the second that Horcoff left. Bringing in a 3rd pairing defenceman and naming him captain was an insult to the players that were on the team.

Getzlaf, Doan, Chara, Gionta, Giordano, Staal, Toews, Landeskog, Benn, Zetterberg, Mitchel, Brown, Koivu, Weber, Salvador, Mcdonaugh, Tavares, Karlsson, Giroux, Crosby, Backes, Stamkos, Phaneuf, Sedin, Ovechkin and Ladd.

This is a list of the captains from other teams. How does Ference belong on this list? Everyone of these players minus Gionta for Buffalo are either stars or played on their team for years before being named captain. Ference was picked due to his love of running stairs. I actually like Ference as a third pairing defenceman but he should be wearing an A instead of a C. This was Hall's team the second they drafted him.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
None of them. If I had to choose though The Nuge would be my choice. He could likely grow into the role as a quiet, lead-by-example type. He'd need to have a strong supporting cast though. Some veterans with A's. I wouldn't be too against giving him the C when Ference's contract runs out. He should be in his prime by then and personally I would have shipped out the locker room cancer by then and actually had a REAL core in place which could take this club somewhere.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm digging the Nurse/Klefbom comments. These guys aren't even NHLers yet. May never be.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Hall should have been named captain the second that Horcoff left. Bringing in a 3rd pairing defenceman and naming him captain was an insult to the players that were on the team.

Getzlaf, Doan, Chara, Gionta, Giordano, Staal, Toews, Landeskog, Benn, Zetterberg, Mitchel, Brown, Koivu, Weber, Salvador, Mcdonaugh, Tavares, Karlsson, Giroux, Crosby, Backes, Stamkos, Phaneuf, Sedin, Ovechkin and Ladd.

This is a list of the captains from other teams. How does Ference belong on this list? Everyone of these players minus Gionta for Buffalo are either stars or played on their team for years before being named captain. Ference was picked due to his love of running stairs. I actually like Ference as a third pairing defenceman but he should be wearing an A instead of a C. This was Hall's team the second they drafted him.

How does Hall belong on that list?

Its more than just scoring points. I've yet to see the attention to detail or commitment to hard working two way play from Hall.

Most of the guys on that list are more than just good scorers, these are guys who work hard both defensively and offensively, every shift, every game.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
From day 1 this guy has always played his heart out, enters the hard parts of the ice, makes plays for the defence and most mature of the bunch.

I'm not talking about Taylor Hall. It's been RNH all the time, everyday. He may give you the most boring quote to the press, but he plays with a passion on the ice that media pundits can attest to. They all say he is quiet to the media, but he's a chirping kid on the ice.

Hall on the other hand has me thinking the past couple years the locker room problems is his ego and immaturity. Scares the hell out of me.

Last edited:

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
I don't think he is in the team yet, having said that this roster is best to go a few years without one and when the team starts turning it around and getting a more experience on it let the guys inside the room decide.

Fat Balloon

Jan 20, 2010
Not Hall.
He is a great individual player right now.
But I dont see him as a leader. The shortcomings in his game, the lazy play at times, the body language, all show that he isnt close to being ready for the C.
If he was ready for the C, he would be the leader of this team right now. True leaders dont need a letter. This has been his team. He was managements golden child who can do no wrong. He didnt grab the horse by the reigns and run with it.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Guys, guys...

It's clearly Justin Schultz.

Leadership from the backend from a player that never quits and is always a force.

(Quits on pinching unnecessarily). (Force for the other team)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad