Best coach not in the NHL?

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Finnish posters will obviously root for him. He is nothing special though. Not that he is a bad coach, but best not in the NHL is a bit much.
Not that I necessarily agree with the choice and I'm often annoyed by the hype machine of some of my fellow Finns, but in this case it's not bad to expand one's field of view beyond the old boys that have already tried and failed (maybe even multiple times) or ran out of their time with their team (but could be good if given another chance). At least for me it's more interesting to hear suggestions/opinions that aren't the obvious familiar names. There are some pretty good Finnish coaches and strong coaching is a major reason why Finland's had better results internationally than one would maybe expect from the rosters, BUT I don't think the Finnish coaches would necessarily suit in the NHL.

Reactions: Ukki and boyko10

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
Really? I've always found his coaching to be 20 years behind the times.

Do you only follow the nationals? Karpat HIFK Lev not impressed? I admit I thought he was a dino for the longest time too but seeing him coach hifki the guy is a wizard. Just love everything about him these days.

Taking Lev to the finals was really something, shame how it ended. Odd that his HIFK gig (2008-2011) doesn't show on hockeydb.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jim Montgomery, U of Denver. Successful, championship teams in the USHL and the NCAA. Progressive, young, understands the International game. Only issue is whether he is willing to coach in the NHL.
He was my number 1 choice the last time the Flames were looking for a new head coach.

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
Not that I necessarily agree with the choice and I'm often annoyed by the hype machine of some of my fellow Finns, but in this case it's not bad to expand one's field of view beyond the old boys that have already tried and failed (maybe even multiple times) or ran out of their time with their team (but could be good if given another chance). At least for me it's more interesting to hear suggestions/opinions that aren't the obvious familiar names. There are some pretty good Finnish coaches and strong coaching is a major reason why Finland's had better results internationally than one would maybe expect from the rosters, BUT I don't think the Finnish coaches would necessarily suit in the NHL.

Try to picture Jortsu in the NHL.. I totally can :)

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Daryl Sutter AINEC

As for some mentioned here:

Hartley is a god awful coach. Terribly bad
Kruger seems like a terrible coach as well, left at the right time so people overrate him
No thanks to the Euro coaches at all, complete garbage.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It is Darryl Sutter and I don't think its particularly close. He has 2 Stanley Cups in the last 10 years, while also leading the team he previously coached to a cup final. Just don't let him be your GM, and like most coaches, he has an expiry date.

Now, if you are talking about guys who have never coached in the league, that is way tougher. Its always hard to tell how guys who can succeed at lower levels carry over. Mike Johnston had a Hunter like resume with Portland, and people raved about Eakins. Both were monumental disasters. Dealing with guys who make more than you, and have significantly more job security is not a dynamic you face in juniors or the AHL.

Reactions: SniperHF

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not even sure there is an answer. Especially when it comes to guys that have never coached in the NHL before. It kinda goes for players as well.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Its certainly educated, I don't know how carefully crafted it was just an easy to point out fact.

I think the meaning of the words are confusing you.
Fact = Something you can prove by statistics or science.
Opinion = Your thoughts (doesn’t have to be anywhere near the truth)

What you just wrote was not a fact, but an opinion.

It is a fact that Sweden, Russia, Finland and even Czech republic has had success in the Olympics, despite having worse teams and non-NHL coaches.

Thanks for trying though!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad